TheNumericDolfin

Who keeps breeding one egg to abandon? Massbreed

Grabbed a really nice Mint from what was left of the wall when I got online. Yay!

Just an FYI there totally wont be 400+ luminas bred at some point in the next few days (likely tomorrow night).

Why? I just really don't understand why.

And also please don't, that's a whole lot of eggs clogging the AP for a long long time....Can you space it out at least? Why does it have to happen all at once.

Edited by plumpernuff

thomas has done another massbreeding like this for scientific purposes. We still haven't figured out what the mechanism behind dark luminas is. So a huge breeding at certain times is invaluable for the data.

Even if it wasn't - why not?

BTW. I did a Magi massbreeding this afternoon, so expect a wall of Orange to happen

Edited by herk

thomas has done another massbreeding like this for scientific purposes. We still haven't figured out what the mechanism behind dark luminas is. So a huge breeding at certain times is invaluable for the data.

Even if it wasn't - why not?

BTW. I did a Magi massbreeding this afternoon, so expect a wall of Orange to happen

OK see, that's a mass breeding I can get behind. I'm all about research and data. Also, luminas are not always so easy to come by (like mints and dorsals and storms). And I can get behind magi, because they have BSA so people actually WANT them and seek them.

The why not is for reasons stated earlier in this thread by me and others about why we like diversity on the AP and are frustrated by the floods.

Why? I just really don't understand why.

And also please don't, that's a whole lot of eggs clogging the AP for a long long time....Can you space it out at least? Why does it have to happen all at once.

Why mass breed? Here's the deal.

Reason 1 to Mass Breed: Ratios

If a person can breed enough of a breed to form a wall that lasts for more than an hour, then that breed's ratios are pushing it to be too common and mass-breeding it is a Public Service. Such mass breeds of that breed cannot happen often. If they do, they change the ratios and guess what.... the person can't form walls again! tongue.gif So mass breeding is very beneficial to the blocker breeds. And for those who doubt it has much of an effect.... When two breeds are both blockers, one large mass breed can shift them from breeding all of breed A to breeding all of breed B. I've seen that effect.

Reason 2 to Mass Breed: Drive the AP time down

When people don't breed to abandon... the AP's time drifts up. When that happens..... you have to breed a ton of eggs all at once to drive it back down. Most people tend to focus on one or two breeds to build their armies.

Reason 3 to Mass Breed: Build Breed Likes

Its a proven fact that after 42 started mass-breeding Mints.... They became much more popular as people used the tossed eggs to build lineages. The same has happened to other breeds.

Reason 4 to Mass Breed: Cause Chaos!

If its boring on the Cave, mass-breed huge walls and its gaurenteed to get some people's dander up. Its almost always popcorn worthy, so instant boredom fix. Well not instant as it takes 24 hrs to hit. Of course, you've already spent several hours breeding dragons, so that fixed the boredom on day 1 and day 2 is the fireworks. Day 3 is the low time goodies behind your wall.

Reason 5: Some Personal Reason

For the Neos, it was Xy's birthday and she wanted to share. For the Brutes on the Ides of March, it is because of the breeds name and history. For the Mints, 42 bred them on request at the end (people asked, see reasons 4 and 3 and 2). For others, its to give people contest breed eggs.

Ok, now that that's answered....

I bred all of my x Holiday lines the other day. They should be hitting soon. It was something like 300 of them....

Cheers!

C4,

Just bred ALL of my reds and pinks and sent probably 40+ reds, 20+ pinks, plus a few prizes/magis scattered in there to the AP! Hoping to make a BSA wall with Herk's magi massbreeding! biggrin.gif

Just bred ALL of my reds and pinks and sent probably 40+ reds, 20+ pinks, plus a few prizes/magis scattered in there to the AP! Hoping to make a BSA wall with Herk's magi massbreeding! biggrin.gif

Sadly, I know from experience that you have to send at least twice that many eggs to the AP to even mostly fill it up. sad.gif

I've never managed to form more than 3 solid rows with one breed, and I've sent 70ish eggs to the AP at a time. Of course it doesn't help that all mine I send are nice, so people snag them quickly.

Cheers!

C4.

Why mass breed? Here's the deal.

Reason 1 to Mass Breed: Ratios

If a person can breed enough of a breed to form a wall that lasts for more than an hour, then that breed's ratios are pushing it to be too common and mass-breeding it is a Public Service. Such mass breeds of that breed cannot happen often. If they do, they change the ratios and guess what.... the person can't form walls again! tongue.gif So mass breeding is very beneficial to the blocker breeds. And for those who doubt it has much of an effect.... When two breeds are both blockers, one large mass breed can shift them from breeding all of breed A to breeding all of breed B. I've seen that effect.

Reason 2 to Mass Breed: Drive the AP time down

When people don't breed to abandon... the AP's time drifts up. When that happens..... you have to breed a ton of eggs all at once to drive it back down. Most people tend to focus on one or two breeds to build their armies.

Reason 3 to Mass Breed: Build Breed Likes

Its a proven fact that after 42 started mass-breeding Mints.... They became much more popular as people used the tossed eggs to build lineages. The same has happened to other breeds.

Reason 4 to Mass Breed: Cause Chaos!

If its boring on the Cave, mass-breed huge walls and its gaurenteed to get some people's dander up. Its almost always popcorn worthy, so instant boredom fix. Well not instant as it takes 24 hrs to hit. Of course, you've already spent several hours breeding dragons, so that fixed the boredom on day 1 and day 2 is the fireworks. Day 3 is the low time goodies behind your wall.

Reason 5: Some Personal Reason

For the Neos, it was Xy's birthday and she wanted to share. For the Brutes on the Ides of March, it is because of the breeds name and history. For the Mints, 42 bred them on request at the end (people asked, see reasons 4 and 3 and 2). For others, its to give people contest breed eggs.

Ok, now that that's answered....

I bred all of my x Holiday lines the other day. They should be hitting soon. It was something like 300 of them....

Cheers!

C4,

Hey, thank you so much for the explanations. I really appreciate it. The ratio bit is indeed quite alluring, as is driving the AP time down. I think your explanation has given me more of a reason to appreciate, rather than detest, a mass breeding.

Sadly, I know from experience that you have to send at least twice that many eggs to the AP to even mostly fill it up. sad.gif

I've never managed to form more than 3 solid rows with one breed, and I've sent 70ish eggs to the AP at a time. Of course it doesn't help that all mine I send are nice, so people snag them quickly.

Cheers!

C4.

You have a good point, but I've been seeing more BSAs in the AP lately so I want to at least attempt to boost it! Can never have enough reds haha tongue.gif

Ooh, some lovely Royal Crimson checkers in the AP right now!

I can never have enough of those. I wish I had egg slots free sad.gif

MWAHAHAHAHA *goes to mass breed Celestial x Nocturn* Anyone wanna join the Celestial fun?

Cheers!

C4.

May I ask for a Monarch massbreeding to get their ratios in order? biggrin.gif

I bred my Celestials to join in! I got about 25 celestial eggs, I'd estimate, from about 20 Celestial breedings with various pairings? More Celestials than I'd realized I'd had, in any case. I might try Monarchs in a bit, but shout out to those who do go through the effort and mass breed in vast quanities, phew.

I bred my Celestials to join in! I got about 25 celestial eggs, I'd estimate, from about 20 Celestial breedings with various pairings? More Celestials than I'd realized I'd had, in any case. I might try Monarchs in a bit, but shout out to those who do go through the effort and mass breed in vast quanities, phew.

I ended up with 50 Celestials and 65 Nocturn eggs. xd.png And yep.... that's why more people don't mass breed, it takes time and effort. tongue.gif

I'll try Monarchs now, since they were asked for. tongue.gif I have lots of those!

ETA: Bred Monarch x Teimarr. There are 47 eggs from that pairing on their way to the AP. tongue.gif 32 male Monarchs produced 27 Monarch eggs, and 31 female Monarchs produced 20 Monarch eggs and 2 Teimarr eggs (both toward the end).

Cheers!

C4.

Edited by cyradis4

If I had known we were breeding celestials, I would have bred my luminas to celestials to join in on the fun. I didn't at the time because that was a lot more clicking. I didn't even finish the hoard, I quit somewhere around 400 because my hand is tired. I'm not massbreeding againt until at least late may.

As an announcement:

1) If I bred a messy line, sorry I didn't know it wasn't cb.

2)If you find a pair you like with unnamed parents, I will gadly name them if you send me the link to the offspring.

Hybred would be nice!

I'll start when some of my eggs are hatched cause possiblity of nice code.-some will be frozen for avoid inbred. (I'm nice code collecter)

My PB(?) even gen soulpeace is first. next is CB dragon pairs possible to produce hybred egg.

And now we have pygmy galore in the AP

There might be a small PB EG Tidal wall in two days.

Edit: I just saw Amazon_warrior's post - maybe the wall will not be that small. tongue.gif

Edited by Confused Cat

Only a few hours after a BBW EG wall btw...

Bred my three Tidals to Sapphires (sadly my 4th CB has refused both possible Spaphire mates) for Amazon Warrior to search in the wall - they made a perfect checker pair biggrin.gif

Edited by herk

There might be a small PB EG Tidal wall in two days.

Edit: I just saw Amazon_warrior's post - maybe the wall will not be that small.  tongue.gif

High-five! Anything to get more of those lil beggars into circulation - will do some catching and hatching when they hit. smile.gif

ETA: When I was doing my breeding sesh, I realised how good Tidals look with Sapphires. Good idea or recipe for insanity? The jury's out...

Edited by Amazon_warrior

*growls at AP*

Despite our best efforts.... We still can't get the time to go down and stay down! Gonna have to do more mass-breeding.....

Cheers!

C4.

Okay, so I was PM'ing with a user and this idea popped up, but I want some more opinions before I possibly create this thread. Asking here because this is already semi-the purpose for this thread.

What would you guys think of a thread where anybody could organize mini-massbreeding events or invite others to join in on their personal massbreeding events. Like my massbreed thread, this thread would encourage users to breed a wider array of dragons to avoid single-breed walls. But it would allow for clear organization of multiple events by any user who so wishes to join in. So, in this thread, users could:

- Organize mini-events with short timelines and no expected PM reminders

- Post that they are and what they are massbreeding and invite others to join them

- Ask if anybody felt like doing some massbreeding and do some "on-the-spot" organizing of a timely event

It would be encouraged that if you are breeding just one breed, you either sparse it out throughout the day or invite others to join you by breeding a different breed or two so that the result is not a single-breed wall.

It would NOT be required to:

- Have a specific theme

- Give others a week or more heads up

- PM others reminders

- Have fancy explanation posts

- Breed specific lineage types (though, as always, messy lines are not encouraged to massbreed to the AP)

The benefits of this thread could be:

- Laid back 'organizing' of events

- Lowering the AP time

- Providing an interesting array of dragons to the AP

- Give users more of a chance to organize events without having to create, organize, or run their own thread

- Encourage more community massbreeding, which could both be fun and help make friends

So what do you guys think? Would you like a separate thread or are you happy just using this thread for these purposes? Would you like a separate thread if it was less strict (allowing for single-breed walls and messy lines)?

I like this idea. I've been wondering myself if I should post a warning when I'm starting to breed my Tidals. Then someone who dislikes one-breed walls can prevent the wall by breeding a different breed, and everybody wins because there'll be even more eggs in the AP. ^^

(I remember the times when we tried to get the AP empty... biggrin.gif But of course that was when it still blocked the cave.)