TheNumericDolfin

Who keeps breeding one egg to abandon? Massbreed

Mssbreeding Rares will break the ratios. Then you have a lot of unhappy DragCavers gecause the massbreeding of rares messed up the ratios and ergo, there are much less CB ones spawning, maybe even nil CBs. The rares will also not breed true if their rtio is overly high. This applies also to some uncommons.

However, commons tend to be below their ratio, so massbreeding does help lower the amount that spawn in the Cave. Why? People pick up lineages they like. People pick up messies to freeze. People raise messies because they want to. Newbies pick up whatever they can find. This also applies to to a good chunk of uncommons.

The people who seem to have a problem with it keep mentioning 'droughts'. Can someone please explain to me what that means?

Sorry for the newb question. sad.gif

Frankly, it is not a newbie question. I never saw any proof that massbreeding Rares or uncommons to the AP would cause drought or less chances for others to breed rares.

And I never saw any proof that breeding wanted eggs to the AP would break the ratios. If someone could point me to a post by TJ stating that, I would believe that.

Edited by SullenCat

The people who seem to have a problem with it keep mentioning 'droughts'. Can someone please explain to me what that means?

Sorry for the newb question. sad.gif

If users were to massbreed metals, the cave is programmed to balance out the ratio between commons and metals. If there are huge influxes of metals being massbred into the AP, it would be fabulous for a split second. Once the coding realizes that there are more metals compared to commons, dragons would completely stop breeding metals and only breed fails or nothing.

This has happened before when we had CB Golds and Silvers dropping like mad. (I don't remember what year it was, but tons of people were reporting a huge amount of them). After they stopped dropping as much, THEY STOPPED. The price of CB Golds and Silvers and other metals skyrocketed and it was almost impossible to get your hands on anything, much less breed pretty metal checkers.

This is pretty much why Sock and I are against organized metal massbreeds. That's not to say that users don't massbreed their metals on their scrolls. I do that from time to time. It's fun to let people who hunt the AP get a chance to get their hands on rares. smile.gif

^^ Also @SullenCat, you've not been here as long as some of us. There certainly has not been a drought between now and 2015.

And you can clearly see the proof of ratios with new releases such as the Two-Headed Lindwurms (Green), Xenos, and Coppers. They are all uncommon and have the same rarity of each other, but they were getting picked up and bred so quickly, that in order for the ratios to even out, they quit dropping. Same thing happened with Blusangs back in the day and also I think black dragons and stripes at some point. The proof is pretty tangible.

Here is a post in which TJ explicitly references RATIOS: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=48&hl=ratios

I could do a more thorough search, but I'm pretty sure this is definitive. Ratios are a fact, and you can search for proof if you want, but I'm sure TJ has mentioned it multiple times.

Edited by Earth Gurl

Droughts are when there are too many of one breed on player scrolls. They vastly decrease the chances of new ones spawning, either bred or CB, until the ratio has evened out.

EDIT: EG ninja.gif 'd me with a more detailed explanation.

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

If users were to massbreed metals, the cave is programmed to balance out the ratio between commons and metals. If there are huge influxes of metals being massbred into the AP, it would be fabulous for a split second. Once the coding realizes that there are more metals compared to commons, dragons would completely stop breeding metals and only breed fails or nothing.

This has happened before when we had CB Golds and Silvers dropping like mad. (I don't remember what year it was, but tons of people were reporting a huge amount of them). After they stopped dropping as much, THEY STOPPED. The price of CB Golds and Silvers and other metals skyrocketed and it was almost impossible to get your hands on anything, much less breed pretty metal checkers.

This is pretty much why Sock and I are against organized metal massbreeds. That's not to say that users don't massbreed their metals on their scrolls. I do that from time to time. It's fun to let people who hunt the AP get a chance to get their hands on rares. smile.gif

^^ Also @SullenCat, you've not been here as long as some of us. There certainly has not been a drought between now and 2015.

Again, point me to a post by TJ on how the ratios would be influenced by breeding Rares to the AP. Until I see it, I will consider anything else as assumptions.

By the way, you are mixing facts. The crazy drop happened in 2013, between (more or less), February and May. And, it was dropping, not massbreeding.

Edited by SullenCat

Again, point me to a post by TJ on how the ratios would be influenced by breeding Rares to the AP. Until I see it, I will consider anything else as assumptions.

It has been proven that ratios are real.

Seriously. Go read the the Mssbreeding Raffle or the Holly Contests for proof.

For example: Storms apparently used to clog the cave. Now, I don't really see them too much.

It has been proven that ratios are real.

Seriously. Go read the the Mssbreeding Raffle or the Holly Contests for proof.

For example: Storms apparently used to clog the cave. Now, I don't really see them too much.

Nope, nothing like that was proven. Again and again, only TJ knows how ratios worked, work and will work.

Really? I see evidence there. Like dragons not breeding other breeds for a long time, and then, after a lot of the breed is bred, they start producing others. But if you don't believe me, you could try and PM TJ...

Really? I see evidence there. Like dragons not breeding other breeds for a long time, and then, after a lot of the breed is bred, they start producing others. But if you don't believe me, you could try and PM TJ...

If TJ wanted or wants to make public how ratios work, he would. And there's another flaw on the reasoning I'm reading, not yours in particular : we have no idea if the dropping and the breeding work on the same way versus the ratios. Again, what I'm reading here is a bunch of assumptions. Not that mine are better than yours but the opposite is true as well.

Edited by SullenCat

I don't think you need to know all the minute details of ratios to see them at work in the site. I've seen it mentioned how royal crimsons weren't producing other royal crimsons for a while when bred with other dragons. And I've seen the reverse. Royal crimsons but not the other mate. Personally, I've had silvers produce nothing but their common mates for a long time before ever giving me a silver egg. Even without knowing the finer details, it seems kind of obvious there's something keeping everything balanced or a tally or a score or however you want to describe it. Otherwise, why aren't metals and other rares dropping and being bred more frequently?

That said, I'm okay with mass breedings. Maybe not of rares, since they're so hard to come by as it is. But there are common and uncommon breeds I like to collect, regardless of lineage, so I take them in when I see them.

Most eggs during these AP walls are not only common or unpopular, but also inbred. So why??

Yeah, I've never gotten the "I'm going to breed all my real awful lineages to the AP at once," thing myself.

I massbreed my dragons on occasion (if you see a Cassie wall, I am probably responsible), and I absolutely do not send "inbred" or "real awful lineages" to the AP. Typically mine are even-gen PB, from 2G up to my current highest gen. All of the other regular massbreeders I know are equally responsible in regards to what they send to the AP.

Please don't tar us all with the same brush just because you dislike the minority who don't care about their lineages.

There should be limits against mass breeding.

Why should our play style be limited just because you dislike it?

I had never done it, but after reading this thread I decided to give it a try... But I decided for a useful breed, so I bred my Reds...Non are inbred...They will be reaching the AP in a few hours.

*Runs away and hides*

I would love to see AP wall of reds at least *once*. xd.png Usually I can't find any incuhatchable ones evem after refreshing for hours.

Edited by Amaterasu-sama

I would love to see AP wall of reds at least *once*. xd.png Usually I can't find any incuhatchable ones evem after refreshing for hours.

I tried making one but I am unsure if they appeared as a wall, I kept checking to see them but never did and I checked the eggs and they already have owners soooooo not sure how I missed them or maybe I failed at making the wall biggrin.gif I will try again next week....

They where supposed to appear yesterday afternoon....

Edited by Elery.

I tried making one but I am unsure if they appeared as a wall, I kept checking to see them but never did and I checked the eggs and they already have owners soooooo not sure how I missed them or maybe I failed at making the wall biggrin.gif I will try again next week....

They where supposed to appear yesterday afternoon....

Not sure how many you bred, but I was a part of an attempted at a red wall. Between the few of us who organized to do this, we bred at least 300 reds to the AP (although we bred at different times, I think each of us bred at least ~50 reds). None of us saw a wall and no wall was reported.

I feel like reds should be able to wall because I've seen a couple reds sit in the AP through a few refreshes, but I've never seen it happen.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Not sure how many you bred, but I was a part of an attempted at a red wall. Between the few of us who organized to do this, we bred at least 300 reds to the AP (although we bred at different times, I think each of us bred at least ~50 reds). None of us saw a wall and no wall was reported.

I feel like reds should be able to wall because I've seen a couple reds sit in the AP through a few refreshes, but I've never seen it happen.

Ooooh I bred over 40 pairs one after the other with around a minute of difference between each other. Only a few gave no eggs. Never tried to make a wall before so I really dont know how its done...But I didnt see even a stray Red egg in the AP.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2r6igwz.png

http://i65.tinypic.com/2hobnh5.png

http://i66.tinypic.com/2v3hird.png

I'd love to try and organize a BSA massbreed. I know I used to coordinate BSA breeds with my BFF, but I never saw anything ever come of them.

Perhaps mid-September to get everyone ready for Halloween.

Edited by Jazeki

A BSA massbreed sounds great! I already massbreed Reds when I remember to, so I'd just need to schedule it properly tongue.gif

I breed my messy/inbred Reds, too, since I figure they'd be useful even if you can't breed them to a nice lineage; I don't breed non-BSA messies though.

Edited by lolahighwind

I can participate in BSA mass breed. I have around 100 reds and good number of pinks, purples. With fertility rework and zombie update, everyone will need reds (to hatch fodder faster) and purples (to reduce refusals).

Maybe someone can open a thread and organize an event?

Edited by Amaterasu-sama

Just wondering, wouldn't a BSA massbreed cause problems like a rare massbreed? blink.gif (Still trying to understand exactly how common massbreeds 'help ratios'.)

Just wondering, wouldn't a BSA massbreed cause problems like a rare massbreed? blink.gif (Still trying to understand exactly how common massbreeds 'help ratios'.)

Massbreeding commons is, in part, about making them harder to breed. This would help people who breed Common x Uncommon/Rare pairs, as they'd have more chance of getting the mate of the other breed for a short while.

Right now I don't even mind the random-/messy-lineaged / inbred commons in the AP.

The uncertainty about a possible release plus the Zombie change make me want to fill my scroll with things I wouldn't mind abandoning (in case of a release) or losing in a zombification attempt. Everything fits together!