TheNumericDolfin

Who keeps breeding one egg to abandon? Massbreed

There are players who get locked lots, players who might need to shift dragons faster, newbies with incubates, etc. Some people would rather pick up low time eggs. Rhses people would rather have an ER AP. Also, more people pick up teally low time eggs...

...but mass breeding does not actually "lower" anything.

I still haven't found an answer to my question: WHY do people see mass breeding a wall of crappy messy lineage, common eggs as a goal? Why do they do it?

I think it's just to be a troll,really. And they should be rules or limits against it. It just makes the game less fun, especially for folks like me, who only get a few short times a week to really sit down and hunt for eggs.

It lowers the AP time because people don't pick up the eggs until they are lower time.

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

It lowers the AP time because people don't pick up the eggs until they are lower time.

Just circular reasoning. Those eggs would have eventually been "low time" with OR without a gigantic annoying Wall of inbred Commons. The wall does nothing all.

Except frustrate players who just want to hunt eggs for a half hour.

They miss out on a neat egg because it's blocked by all the crap mass breed ones.

Edited by Nettlebiscuits

I would actually love a wall of Storms! (Or Reds, hehe.) Also, massbreeds can help straighten out cave ratios for common dtagons and lower the AP time.

I would love a wall of storms.

I don't mind walls in general. Most of the walls I've picked through are of clean lineage, which is perfectly fine for me.

The wall is probably fun but with limited online time, spending time staring at a wall of one kind of commons is a bit too much...

Honestly, I don't think one person bred that much, more like these commons were never picked up so they accumulates and created the wall.. maybe...

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you guys saw a single-breed wall? And I mean a wall - where only that breed was showing, let's say, for more than 20 minutes?

I saw an AP almost half-full of magis the other week, but they didn't stay for too long. Other than that, I haven't seen one in a while, and I like hunting them. When are you guys seeing them that I'm missing them, so I can go pick them up? unsure.gif

Just circular reasoning. Those eggs would have eventually been "low time" with OR without a gigantic annoying Wall of inbred Commons. The wall does nothing all.

They miss out on a neat egg because it's blocked by all the crap mass breed ones.

Nettles, it is easy not to understand this, especially when you are very new to the game and to the forums. The easy answer is a mixture of: Ratios (this is a big one and it takes awhile to understand and if you want help with why ratios would be impacted by this or why they would want to do it, you want to ask that in another thread), Some People Like Breeding to the AP and that is their Game Play style Choice (some people breed nice stuff, some people don't, but you don't have the right to dictate someone's game play style or choice even if you don't like it), and hoping to lower the time on eggs in the AP. Or a combo of those three.

However, If you click on the Banner in my Sig, you will find the Player Activity Thread, which in addition to getting you to all sorts of Threads and Games that will reward and freely gift you nice eggs upon request, encourage you collecting and assist with any of that for any play style you may want, there are also organized Breeding Events and threads dedicated to them. The reason we have these, and why I call them Breeding Events vs Mass Breeding Events is because, unlike individual people going on breeding runs, some with nice lines, some without, these events are themed, and intend to get people lovely nice helpful lineages vs just messy ones. (Although no one is ever "not" allowed to participate and everyone can certainly breed whatever they want, but MOST people who participate in these actively are breeding very nice things.)

I think a lot of your frustration would be resolved by visiting some of the active Player Event Groups and Threads and becoming involved with them. Not only would it give you more of what you are looking for and other things to do in your short time making sure you are only getting and growing pretty lovely lines, but it will also help you learn how to encourage other people to do the same. This, in the long run, helps reduce the "messy-ness" that is frustrating you. By both redirecting your frustration into things that are more fun, and by promoting and encouraging it, people who may be doing this not realizing there are other options also can learn and many people end up switching their styles.

Not everyone, and some people do purposely breed messy lines to the AP. From years of experience, and others are going to back this up, it's just not worth the time or frustration for you to try to find some way to "correct" this behavior. It's not going to happen, and really, there is nothing to correct. The thing that is best corrected is not allowing it to frustrate you and learning there are so many other ways you can directly and indirectly make this more fun for yourself that those are much more positive and much more impactful easier ways to get the change you ultimately want.

I mean you can do or not do whatever you want. But it's already been done before, already been hashed before. But re-inventing the wheel and being frustrated and not understanding why when 9999999999 people have already gone before you is like trying to argue with a wall with the words "NO YOU!" painted on it.

I hope this was helpful. If you really want the answers to the whys, I think ratios and their impact upon breeding and other game aspects and such might be where you want to start. And there are those who can explain that better to you in a much more concise way than myself.

Actually, mass breeding does lower the AP time, even if a variety of nice-lineaged eggs is released to the AP. Vhale's mass breeding raffles prove that. The reasoning is that more eggs hit the AP than are being picked up, and that's because more are bred, not necessarily because less are picked up.

Let's assume the AP is at 5 days, people pick up 100 eggs every hour, and other people abandon 100 eggs every hour. The AP will stay at 5 days, because for every abandoned egg, one egg is being picked up in the same amount of time.

Now let's assume a mass breeding happens and 500 additional eggs hit the AP within one hour. All those eggs are nice-lineaged eggs from a variety of different breeds that people are happy to pick up. Still, within one hour, 600 eggs (100 as usual plus 500 from mass breeding) hit the AP, but only 100 of those get picked up, because people keep picking up eggs at the usual rate. It takes 5 hours until those additional eggs have been picked up, and the AP time goes down by 5 hours. So even if people don't stop picking up eggs, the AP time will go down, just because there are more eggs abandoned than usual.

If the mass breeding is of a single common breed and all inbred eggs, people do stop picking up eggs, and the effect is even larger, with the AP going down further, and people being frustrated. Not my favorite type of mass breeding either wink.gif

Edited by Ha-Ki

Other mass breeding events I've been thinking of suggesting (not until holidays are over, though):

Hybrids

P2Ds (pygmies, 2heads, drakes)

Checkers (maybe also allowing any even gen with a pattern like rainbows and purebreds of a certain gen)

Thoughts? Which of these would you participate in? Which would you be glad to pick up from the AP?

Oh gosh, please no hybrids! I'm trying to get a Hellhorse from WHITE, can you believe that? sad.gif

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you guys saw a single-breed wall? And I mean a wall - where only that breed was showing, let's say, for more than 20 minutes?

I saw an AP almost half-full of magis the other week, but they didn't stay for too long. Other than that, I haven't seen one in a while, and I like hunting them. When are you guys seeing them that I'm missing them, so I can go pick them up? unsure.gif

I think I saw a wall of cassare last week. It was beautiful. The highest generation I grabbed of them was a 4g.

Or if someone (or a group of people) would actually go to the trouble of breeding uncommons and rares.

I feel we would definitely get hate for this type of thing. Nobody wants to cause another rare drought, which is a good possibility if we did do a rare/uncommon mass breed. If we just stick to breeding them regularly, then we can regularly - though rarely - still get rares.

I feel we would definitely get hate for this type of thing. Nobody wants to cause another rare drought, which is a good possibility if we did do a rare/uncommon mass breed. If we just stick to breeding them regularly, then we can regularly - though rarely - still get rares.

Why should a massbreed of rares get hate? Thinking this through... I guess a few breeders of rares could be upset. But a lot of AP-hunters would be extremely happy finding short, nicely lineaged rares/uncommons in the AP and I doubt there would be any wall. Even non-rares with rare parents would be welcome. For sure I would not complain about finding them and would happily collect them. What I complain about are walls of inbred cave blockers.

Edited by SullenCat

Why should a massbreed of rares get hate? Thinking this through... I guess a few breeders of rares could be upset. But a lot of AP-hunters would be extremely happy finding short, nicely lineaged rares/uncommons in the AP and I doubt there would be any wall. Even non-rares with rare parents would be welcome. For sure I would not complain about finding them and would happily collect them. What I complain about are walls of inbred cave blockers.

You might complain when you (along with everybody else) didn't see another rare in the AP or any gifting threads for a year. Or when the trading markets get more inflated wrt rares we should be able to breed/find in the cave.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

You might complain when you didn't see another rare in the AP or any gifting threads for a year.

No, I wouldn't since I would be happy with what I found in the AP biggrin.gif

Edited by SullenCat

No, I wouldn't since I would be happy with what I found in the AP  biggrin.gif

I wouldn't be happy, and I am thinking numerous others wouldn't.

Breeding all our rares in one day to ruin them for the rest of the year? That doesn't seem fun at all.

Such a massbreed would effect AP hunters, breeders, and traders.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Massbreeding is a good thing or it is not. If someone is a proponent of massbreeding, should adapt to the fact that any kind of massbreeding can happen: inbred cave blockers or rares.

Edited by SullenCat

Massbreeding is a good thing or it is not. If someone is a proponent of massbreeding, should adapt to the fact that any kind of massbreeding can happen: inbred cave blockers or rares.

Where did I say it couldn't happen?

Where did I say that you said it couldn't happen?

You implied it not two posts ago. "Massbreeding is a good thing or it is not. If someone is a proponent of massbreeding, should adapt to the fact that any kind of massbreeding can happen: inbred cave blockers or rares."

People who don't like massbreeds are allowed to say so - and have in the past few pages. I would not participate in a rare massbreed, so I stated that.

I also don't get this idea of putting a black and white "morality" on massbreeding. o_O People are allowed to have complex opinions, lol.

Oh gosh, please no hybrids! I'm trying to get a Hellhorse from WHITE, can you believe that? sad.gif

That's definitely something I'll take into consideration. It wouldn't happen for a few months (at least), though, so whites might be more common than uncommon by then? I had troubles getting a horse or a hellfire from a checker I picked up in the AP and was trying to extend. They kept throwing hellhorses instead. XD

And good luck!

I think I saw a wall of cassare last week. It was beautiful. The highest generation I grabbed of them was a 4g.

Shoot, wish I hadn't missed that. =(

Looks like there is three eggs shy of a wall of red-finned tidals right now...

Zombie fodder! Too bad I missed it. D: How long did it stay - did you see the end of it?

You implied it not two posts ago. "Massbreeding is a good thing or it is not. If someone is a proponent of massbreeding, should adapt to the fact that any kind of massbreeding can happen: inbred cave blockers or rares."

People who don't like massbreeds are allowed to say so - and have in the past few pages. I would not participate in a rare massbreed, so I stated that.

I also don't get this idea of putting a black and white "morality" on massbreeding. o_O People are allowed to have complex opinions, lol.

Shoot, wish I hadn't missed that. =(

Zombie fodder! Too bad I missed it. D: How long did it stay - did you see the end of it?

No, I did not imply anything. But i know better than to disagree with a mod that could and would make my life miserable in DC. You win.

Edited by SullenCat

It lasted about an hour, maybe a little less.

Please keep discussion from becoming heated. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the benefits and disadvantages of massbreeding. Please keep posts on topic.

I, for one, really enjoy massbreeding, especially since I can find commons with beautiful checkers quite often. smile.gif I wouldn't be a proponent for massbreeding metals or anything like that since that would drastically throw off the ratios. We've had several metal droughts in my time at DC, and they're not too fun.

I, for one, really enjoy massbreeding, especially since I can find commons with beautiful checkers quite often. smile.gif I wouldn't be a proponent for massbreeding metals or anything like that since that would drastically throw off the ratios. We've had several metal droughts in my time at DC, and they're not too fun.

I strongly support massbreeding Rares and uncommons, people love to find the offsprings in the AP.

Edited by SullenCat

The people who seem to have a problem with it keep mentioning 'droughts'. Can someone please explain to me what that means?

Sorry for the newb question. sad.gif