TheNumericDolfin

Who keeps breeding one egg to abandon? Massbreed

Then don't pick them up.

xeyla, you always have some great olive lines! Looking forward to getting to go through them. Hope I'm not driving home that day. xP

xd.png

I used to hate when there was a wall of some random common breed; I don't mind so much now as I've grown to love picking them up and seeing all kinds of lineages I would not have thought of myself smile.gif

I think of it like migration events smile.gif

My new favorite explanation for AP walls xd.png

Are you being sarcastic? I really did not enjoy a wall of Flamingos, Olives aren't going to be any better.

Ditto! Annnnd DITTO!

Ditto! Annnnd DITTO!

At least you can bite them. Imagine if they were a pygmy or drake wall. Wouldn't that be a terror?

*whistles innocently while looking at his flare hoard*

... No I didn't. Was sorely tempted, but didn't. xd.png

Imagine if they were a pygmy or drake wall.

*whistles innocently while looking at his flare hoard*

... No I didn't. Was sorely tempted, but didn't. xd.png

You should, though! I don't have nearly enough pygmy lines because they don't get bred a whole lot. I love pygmy lines, though. Magelights and flares are my fave pygmies, too.

As well, we need the olives*. I'd love to actually be able to do lineages with them other than pbs or holidays! I've got my eye on doing a sunstone/olive line but haven't tried to hard because it just doesn't seem worth it.

Even for those that find walls insidious, the breeding problem with new and "new" dragons is far more insidious. At least with a wall, you can go breed your own dragons or bite dragons or go cave hunting or trade. When new/"new"/overly common dragons won't breed, there is nothing we can do to get around that BUT breed walls, hoping eventually things will even out and let us do more than pbs. =\

*I know not all (but I would say a big portion) of mass breeds are of overpopulated breeds, but I do know that this is the case for olives and is why they're being bred.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

They wouldn't be quite so insidious if they didn't take over so thoroughly. Nothing wrong with wishing the breeding was a bit more spread out so that those of us who enjoy the randomness of the AP didn't feel completely cut off from hunting other breeds during the walls.

You should, though! I don't have nearly enough pygmy lines because they don't get bred a whole lot. I love pygmy lines, though. Magelights and flares are my fave pygmies, too.

Perhaps during a holiday ... or my birthday. ^-^

I would rather see a wall of er flares that people will be willing to pick up, rather than have an angry mob with torches and pitchforks wanting my head. I'm rather attached to it. tongue.gif

Likewise, can I request a Striped River massbreeding? Possibly so that they reach the AP at a time of day when neither Odd *smiles* nor Tawanda are online? xd.png I'm desperately trying to get a Hellhorse from one, but they are still too new ...

Likewise, can I request a Striped River massbreeding? Possibly so that they reach the AP at a time of day when neither Odd *smiles* nor Tawanda are online? xd.png I'm desperately trying to get a Hellhorse from one, but they are still too new ...

Ooooh, that sounds like a brilliant combo. I better pick up some more striped rivers so I could help with a massbreed. >_e

I would rather see a wall of er flares that people will be willing to pick up, rather than have an angry mob with torches and pitchforks wanting my head. I'm rather attached to it. tongue.gif

Fair enough!

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I avoid mass breeding, walls or otherwise during holidays because I'm paranoid I'll breed a dragon I need for a holiday pairing.

After the holiday though... the gloves come off!

Then don't pick them up.

xeyla, you always have some great olive lines! Looking forward to getting to go through them. Hope I'm not driving home that day. xP

You can bet I will not.

If people really want to breed their 200+ commons, couldn't they breed 50 at the time, on different days, so people that do not want Olives or whatever, would be able to find something else in the AP?

I'm quite surprised. I didn't expect that a mod would encourage, actually sponsor, a behavior that disregards the playing style of other players. You like to find great olive lines, what about the players that do not?

Are you being sarcastic? I really did not enjoy a wall of Flamingos, Olives aren't going to be any better.

I am not. I really love my Olives, and I enjoy breeding my whole army, which is getting bigger!

Aww, thank you Socky! Currently the eggs are at 6d 21h, as of this posting, so hopefully you will have time tomorrow to wade through the green!

I think of it like migration events smile.gif

Thank you Vhale! I will start thinking that way as well.

If people really want to breed their 200+ commons, couldn't they breed 50 at the time, on different days, so people that do not want Olives or whatever, would be able to find something else in the AP?

I'm quite surprised. I didn't expect that a mod would encourage, actually sponsor, a behavior that disregards the playing style of other players. You like to find great olive lines, what about the players that do not?

I'm sorry this Mass-breeding bothers you, I do not do it to annoy others. I do it because I like to see my lineages picked-up by others who look forward to using them. The only solution I can think of to fix this "problem" of play-styles, is to stop playing this game. Everyone plays differently, and you cannot please everyone.

Why would you be surprised of a mod sponsoring any play-style? They are playing the game too, and they like collecting lineages, just like everyone else. Don't be upset if they find the "walls of commons" exciting. Sometimes you can find a Diamond in the Rough.

I'm sorry this Mass-breeding bothers you, I do not do it to annoy others. I do it because I like to see my lineages picked-up by others who look forward to using them. The only solution I can think of to fix this "problem" of play-styles, is to stop playing this game. Everyone plays differently, and you cannot please everyone.

Why would you be surprised of a mod sponsoring any play-style? They are playing the game too, and they like collecting lineages, just like everyone else. Don't be upset if they find the "walls of commons" exciting. Sometimes you can find a Diamond in the Rough.

No. There is another solution: spread your breeding.

I'm surprised because I met literally hundreds of mods and I respect the ones that stay above the fray, without taking sides. At least when posting under their mod accounts.

Is it not then disregardful of the playstyle of other players to rail against massbreeds? I love massbreeds, especially of blockers. They bring the AP times down, they improve the ratios, they produce cool lineages, and they are something a little bit different.

I don't see what being a mod has to do with having an opinion about how they enjoy the game. If you hate massbreeds, don't play while the wall is there. The AP will always return to normal. If massbreeds were "outlawed" to suit a vocal minority, the people who love them can't just "wait" until one comes along.

Is it not then disregardful of the playstyle of other players to rail against massbreeds? I love massbreeds, especially of blockers. They bring the AP times down, they improve the ratios, they produce cool lineages, and they are something a little bit different.

I don't see what being a mod has to do with having an opinion about how they enjoy the game. If you hate massbreeds, don't play while the wall is there. The AP will always return to normal. If massbreeds were "outlawed" to suit a vocal minority, the people who love them can't just "wait" until one comes along.

There is a big difference. Players can't influence. Mods do. And they are aware that they do. With the added "bonus" that they can warn or even ban the player that dared to have an opinion.

Updated: do you have any proof that mass breeding improve ratios? Really? How?

Edited by SullenCat

Expressing an opinion does not 'disregard' anyones actual playstyle. How are any players to know that others may find mass breeds disruptive if we are not allowed to express those opinions? It does not prevent you from mass breeding but it may make you aware that not everyone is as appreciative of them as you are (general you here)

There is a big difference. Players can't influence. Mods do. And they are aware that they do. With the added "bonus" that they can warn or even ban the player that dared to have an opinion.

I have not heard of any of our Mods "ban" a person for having an opinion. I've heard of them doing "temp-bans" on people who need to take themselves down a notch, or to stop members from causing arguments that run in circles.

Yes, Mods can influence, even if they do not mean too. But in this case, a Mod is encouraging players to play the way they want to, and that is not a bad thing.

Edit: About the Ratios: The reason blockers appear, is because they need to be bred more to up the populations. Certain breeds have a critical-limit (which we, the players, do not know what that number/percent is), that affect how many appear in the cave. If a breed is underpopulated, then they show up more in the boimes, with the hope of being grown to Adult (which contributes to the number needed to stop the blocking). So, when Mass-Breeding happens, I'm trying to contribute to the Ratios, to reduce the blocking. But it only helps if the dragons grow to adult, or get frozen.

Edit 2: Thank you Ruby, I didn't know there was a thread for opinions on Mass Breeding. I shall go check it out now.

Edited by xeyla

Expressing an opinion does not 'disregard' anyones actual playstyle. How are any players to know that others may find mass breeds disruptive if we are not allowed to express those opinions? It does not prevent you from mass breeding but it may make you aware that not everyone is as appreciative of them as you are (general you here)

Thank you. I'm sick and tired of the way players get rebuffed when they try to express their disatisfaction with mass breeding. Nobody is telling mass breeders to stop. Only to spread their "efforts" and take in consideration that others would want to see something but Olives in the AP, for hours.

Updated: @xeyla: Nope. Actually the mod was telling the player to not play. That is not encouraging, that's discouraging. By the way, since you were the one mass breeding, that''s your point of view. Not mine.

Still @xeyla: About the ratios... you have no proof that mass breeding would work on the ratios. Actually I recall and I'm looking for a post by Tj, under playing the results of mass breeding.

Edited by SullenCat

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...20breeding&st=0

The above thread is there for the discussion of rather or not someone likes mass breeding. This thread isn't really the one for that discussion.

edit: I've also "bumped/replied" in that thread to bring it to the front page

Edited by rubyshoes

Updated: do you have any proof that mass breeding improve ratios? Really? How?

You can't "prove" anything about ratios. You can't even "prove" they exist. However, all data points to massbreeds, well, massively improving ratios.

When 42 massbreeds their Mints, Mints suddenly vanish from the cave for a while. Since Xeyla started massbreeding her Olives, they have gone from among the worst of blockers to something that could conceivably breed with an uncommon and get the desirable result. When The Holly Contest targets a breed, it gets significantly less common.

Also, in regards to Sock's opinion influencing people because she is a forum mod: it did not change your mind. It did not change my mind. It did not change Tawanda's mind. If she says "stop talking about it", that will influence us to stop talking about it. But expressing an opinion as a user is not going to sway anyone but possibly the most passive and herd-minded person.

EDIT: All right, ruby. I'm going to just drop this discussion.

Edited by The_Bucket

You can't "prove" anything about ratios. You can't even "prove" they exist. However, all data points to massbreeds, well, massively improving ratios.

When 42 massbreeds their Mints, Mints suddenly vanish from the cave for a while. Since Xeyla started massbreeding her Olives, they have gone from among the worst of blockers to something that could conceivably breed with an uncommon and get the desirable result. When The Holly Contest targets a breed, it gets significantly less common.

If you don't mind, I trust a lot more TJ''s posts that your opinion.

I can't find the post but I found the quote. This was posted by TJ on June 22nd 2015:

'To be pedantic, everything "has an effect;" what's important is whether or not the effect is statistically significant. That I don't know off the top of my head. It's in the category of "things I could compute if I wanted to, but haven't bothered to." I'd guess the answer is "yes, albeit in a lower capacity than people might think" but it's almost entirely an estimate.'

Update : letting this go...

Edited by SullenCat

So basically, I'd interpret this as "he doesn't care a lot." It's for us to figure out.

Funny thing is that this discussion took up much more space and time than a wall of Olives on the AP ever will do. xd.png

And on topic: I'll keep breeding my 50ish Lunars (and my few Striped Rivers) in hopes of getting *the other breed* at some point. It's probably what the other person attempted with their Moonstone/Waverunner checkers the other day - or did you see a single Moonstone in that pile?

Edited by Ruby Eyes