WinstonGA

Enter target's Code/Name for Fertility, Breeding

Passing this along for a friend who plays a lot from her cell phone:

When she tries to use Fertility, her phone browser crashes trying to load the huuuuuuge list of all of her eligible dragons. It is not (yet) an issue with Breeding, which is merely a multi-minute delay for loading, but likely will be when she gets enough of each gender to trigger smartphone limits.

This is not an issue with Incubate, Influence, and Freeze, because those are looking only at up to 21 potential targets. Fertility, on the other hand, is trying to load 500+ dragons, and pressing Stop on the stupid cell browser may stop the send but it's still hanging trying to process what did get received.

To avoid impacting EVERYONE with additional page(s) to go through, I think maybe the lowest-impact implementation of this would be to add a link under, or in, the description of Fertility and Breeding on the Actions page. "Enter target code or name", maybe a radio button to indicate which is entered, and then it would verify the dragon is 1) on your scroll and 2) eligible for the action, giving appropriate error messages if it's not. If the code/name entered is a valid target, then on to regular confirmation.

I'm able to avoid using Fertility on my phone since I have a laptop, even if I switch between the two devices quite a lot. So this wouldn't help me personally, but I would like to point out something that might help your friend: I think this can be done via URL.

All of my Purples are on CD at the moment so I can't test, but if it's the same as Incubate then the url is going to be:

dragcave.net/actions/*BSA_DRAGON_CODE*/action/*TARGET_CODE*

So if you go to a dragon's Actions page, you just have to add /action and the code of the dragon you want to Fertilize to the URL and it should take you to the verification page. It may not be particularly fast, and you'd have to copy the code instead of just typing a name, but she could try it.

~Edit: Of course your suggestion would be a lot easier way to solve her issue, but in the meantime this might be better than a crashing browser.

Edited by Dimar

That used to work, but doesn't any more. Somewhere along the line referrer-checks got added, and if you choose to continue in spite of not having a valid referrer for that page, you get put back into the Actions page for fertility.

That would be a viable work-around if the (paraphrased) "continue anyhow?" option took you to the page that let you confirm your target/mate choice, rather than making you go through the entire list which puts us right back at the hang-and-lock-up-browser problem I'm trying to help her bypass.

Also tried turning off loading of images, and that didn't work either.

Hmm, okay. Darn, I just checked it for Incubate and it worked fine. :/ Yeah, I understand the mobile browser issue which is why I'll use any action OTHER than Fertility on my phone now.

This is a known issue. I think I must have reported in a thread I accidentally deleted. I'll send in another report in a more official capacity.

This sounds like a good workaround solution, though. o3o

Thanks SockPuppet Strangler!

whitebaron:

Argh, I missed catching your post when I looked to see if it had been brought up recently.

From a desktop standpoint, not just mobile: IMO Pagination would rock, or even better, a filter/sort the page by breed. I've got over 4,000 dragons and fertility is slooow to load on the desktop. I try to do it in batches so as many of the images as possible are still cached on my box. After seeing what she's going through with just 600 dragons, I'm not even going to try fertility on my phone. It would probably freeze up until spring.

Personally, I would love to have fertility be accessible "backwards": I could enter/pick a dragon and then say "Use fertility on it" and the system goes out and picks a cooled-down purple for me or throws an error message if there aren't any. That would eliminate the whole thing with the huge list being loaded. Plus, it'd help me remember to redo fertility after each breeding, while I've still got a parent on my screen LOL. But, it would probably be a lot more programming.

The reason I'd suggested just the little link addition was I figured that would be minimal impact to the rest of the site, and hopefully easier to do.

Personally, I would love to have fertility be accessible "backwards": I could enter/pick a dragon and then say "Use fertility on it" and the system goes out and picks a cooled-down purple for me or throws an error message if there aren't any. That would eliminate the whole thing with the huge list being loaded.

That would be GREAT smile.gif Also for other actions.

Thanks SockPuppet Strangler!

whitebaron:

Argh, I missed catching your post when I looked to see if it had been brought up recently.

From a desktop standpoint, not just mobile: IMO Pagination would rock, or even better, a filter/sort the page by breed. I've got over 4,000 dragons and fertility is slooow to load on the desktop. I try to do it in batches so as many of the images as possible are still cached on my box. After seeing what she's going through with just 600 dragons, I'm not even going to try fertility on my phone. It would probably freeze up until spring.

Personally, I would love to have fertility be accessible "backwards": I could enter/pick a dragon and then say "Use fertility on it" and the system goes out and picks a cooled-down purple for me or throws an error message if there aren't any. That would eliminate the whole thing with the huge list being loaded. Plus, it'd help me remember to redo fertility after each breeding, while I've still got a parent on my screen LOL. But, it would probably be a lot more programming.

The reason I'd suggested just the little link addition was I figured that would be minimal impact to the rest of the site, and hopefully easier to do.

I'd enjoy the backwards thing for all actions!

Update:

The new fertility page redo did not lock nor crash her phone last night. It took a very long time to load, and she had to kill and reload (which meant going through the actions page again). I don't know if that was just a one-time issue, or simply means this change will work for a long time vs work until she gets a few hundred more dragons and then it'll be too much again ...

Would still prefer to see something that limited the number of what loaded right at the top. The newest version with the loads-everything-then-filter is still going to hit limits.

But, at least she can use fertility. That's a big improvement.