olympe

Identical Twins

I don't know how feasible this is - but wouldn't it be a nice surprise to have two (identical) hatchlings hatch from one egg? (They'd have to be totally identical - same breed, same gender, same alt/color morph...) Even the codes should be as similar as possible - maybe with changed caps, or two digits exchanged for each other (12345 and 12354).

I know this sounds like spontaneous egg hatchie creation, but identical twins do occur in nature, too - even if rarely. And quite often, they're very frail and need special care when they're of an egg-laying species.

So, in order to make this halfway feasible, I think we'd need the following features:

• It would have to be a very rare event. Maybe (and that's a big maybe) boosted by Fertility as some kind of weird side effect.
  • You have no way of telling whether there's only one or maybe two hatchlings in one egg. It's like an alt lotto, really.
  • Identical twins are totally random and can happen even in a multi-clutch.
  • Twin hatchlings are very prone to sickness and yet need a number of extra views to grow up - so, in order to not risk them dying, you'd need to keep them for a couple of extra days as hatchlings.
  • Forcing a twin egg will have the same result as for a normal egg - only that for each hatchling inside, the result may be different. You can have two new hatchlings. Or one dead, one hatched. Or one staying on your scroll, another running away.

Should this ever be implemented, I'd also like to see a link to a dragon's identical twin on its view page, as twins often share a special bond - sometimes in a good way, sometimes not.

Sounds fun, but I don't think it should be a side effect of fertility. I think it should just be random.

Would prizes from raffles be able to twin?

On one hand I want to support this because it would be fun, on the other hand, for animals with eggs to produce twins you need a double yolked egg and there isn't very much room for the twins to grow. I know with chickens any fertilzed double yolk egg allowed to be incubated you're just asking for a dud egg. I'd like to see some proof that there are some species already who can produce twins from the same egg.

I'd say no to that. Maybe no to all CB eggs? Dunno. But getting two prizes instead of just one - which is more than the vast majority of players get - is really a bit too much IMHO. However, since people can actually win several times...

On another note, the 3rd GoN egg you summon shouldn't be able to twin, either, nor should that be possible for the 2nd CB Christmas/V'day dragon you catch.

I guess overall that the simplest way to make sure of that is to only have bred eggs be able to twin. That takes out chances of cheating scroll limits.

Getting two prizes instead of just one - which is more than the vast majority of players get - is really a bit too much IMHO. However, since people can actually win several times...

On another note, the 3rd GoN egg you summon shouldn't be able to twin, either, nor should that be possible for the 2nd CB Christmas/V'day dragon you catch.

I guess overall that the simplest way to make sure of that is to only have bred eggs be able to twin. That takes out chances of cheating scroll limits.

Seconded.*absolutely SQUEES over having FINALLY had Success with Summoning my 2nd GON egg*

I rather like this idea!

I agree, only bred eggs should twin. And it makes sense... I'm guessing that twin eggs (like their hatchies) are less robust, so they'd be more likely to die in the wild, which means CB twin eggs wouldn't be able to survive.

I did some looking around, and there's a YTube video of twin eggs hatching. And read a few blogs. It seems that live twin births are extremely rare. In the video I watched, the hatchies had to be helped out of the shell.

So given that, it makes a ton of sense (to me) that only bred eggs can twin.

Edit to respond to WB:

Yes they do, but I think other than being much more sensitive, and having a rate of occurrence of maybe 0.1% or 0.5%, would take care of that.

Cheers!

C4.

Edited by cyradis4

I agree with C4.

It could be fun and while, yes, twin eggs have a harder time surviving... it sounds like there are well thought through mechanics to similuate that with the eggs on here. For one, 'wild' CB eggs not be able to twin and twin eggs requiring more care than most to hatch.

I also wonder if rares, like metals, should be less likely to twin?

Edited by Silverswift

Yes and no. Making metals more unlikely to twin seems like a good idea at first glance, but looses out pretty quickly. Simple is best. Besides, a percentage of maybe 0.5% is pretty low to begin with.

Maybe a twin egg would (most likely) even need forcing (when wide open) - this would help simulate the problem of many deaths among them. However, I'm personally not a fan of forcing anybody to use a potentially fatal action.

Yes and no. Making metals more unlikely to twin seems like a good idea at first glance, but looses out pretty quickly. Simple is best. Besides, a percentage of maybe 0.5% is pretty low to begin with.

Yes, I suppose that is true, simple IS best. It was just a thought on my part.

Also, I am not entirely sure I am in favor of them needing to be forced, either. For one, as you say, there are those that don't like to use fatal actions on eggs at all... and also how would a person eve know they had a twin egg until it hatched? How would they KNOW it needed forced? As I understood the OP basically it was an alt thing... the eggs looked the same as any other eggs. So would there be any way for a person to know that until the egg hatched?

Maybe a twin egg would (most likely) even need forcing (when wide open) - this would help simulate the problem of many deaths among them. However, I'm personally not a fan of forcing anybody to use a potentially fatal action.

Yea, unless we have some marking on the egg itself that indicates that it could be a twin, I think forcing is right out.

However, if there was a blurg on the egg: "This egg is 30% bigger than all other eggs of this species that you've seen. Could it be a twin egg?" in addition to its egg description... I think that would be warning enough that it needs special care. In which case, forcing it becomes viable.

At 0.5% twin rates, that means 1 out of every 200 eggs is a twin. If it were 0.1%, that'd make it 1 out of every 1,000 eggs is a twin. I'm not sure how many eggs are bred on any given day, but... Either 0.2% (one out of every 500 eggs) or 0.1% (1 out of every 1,000 eggs) sound like a good idea.

Cheers!

C4.

How would it work when you're near the cut off for your scroll limit?

So, say I have 20 hatchlings and one egg. The egg hatches and it turns out it was a twin. What then? Would I keep both, one flies off, or would it be impossible to hatch a twin in that case?

@cyradis4: Well, you'd notice that the egg needs help if it has all the stats it needs, a big, fat hole - and still refuses to hatch for days on end. When the timer goes below 1 day and there's been a big hole since day 3 - chances are, there's a reason. xd.png

That being said - the numbers you propose are ridiculously low. Imagine all the dragons on your scroll were bred - which I'm sure they aren't - then you'd have about 4 sets of twins with the 0.1% ratio and twice that with a 0.2% ratio. Now take into account how many of your eggs are CB... Even with an enormous scroll, you'd likely never have seen any twins at all. It's like with CB prizes - they're there and available - at least in theory. For the vast majority, though, they simply aren't.

ETA:

How would it work when you're near the cut off for your scroll limit?

So, say I have 20 hatchlings and one egg. The egg hatches and it turns out it was a twin. What then? Would I keep both, one flies off, or would it be impossible to hatch a twin in that case?

You'd have 22 hatchlings and would be scroll-locked. Since it's not something you did on purpose, and DC doesn't check regularly whether you've got space on your scroll left or not - only when you try to pick up or breed something. Edited by olympe

Not saying I support this but I think one should auto/act like holiday multiclutches if you are locked and don't have room for both. Or give you half hour to abandon something so you have room for both. Definitely do not support going over limits. =\ Hesitant on actually being able to keep both regardless. We can only keep one from a multiclutch and that is basically what this is with hatchies.

The cb dragons we grab are the runts so makes since twins would def die in them.

Also don't see a need for the codes to be similar. Just randomly generate them.

I also disagree with adding a twin link. I know it is exciting, but I think it is fine to just leave it. Thise curious can check the children of the parents.

All in all, I like keeping things simple and not doing twins. I would rather support multiclutches coming back. Those are still twins even if not identical. =p

/feels like negative nancy, lol

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I have no objections to this idea, it would add another something special to collect.

Working out the frequency seems to be the biggest issue, so I suggest doing a lot more research on the different types of egg layers.

However, I would prefer pure random chance, rather than anticipation and failure. Getting a notice that this egg 'may' be different and then having nothing happen, would be VERY annoying.

I have no objections to this idea, it would add another something special to collect.

Working out the frequency seems to be the biggest issue, so I suggest doing a lot more research on the different types of egg layers.

However, I would prefer pure random chance, rather than anticipation and failure. Getting a notice that this egg 'may' be different and then having nothing happen, would be VERY annoying.

This. I think it could be fun, but I'd like to see it totally random and totally surprising when twins show up (I assume there would - could - be a way around the egg hatching when twins would lock you, and something would otherwise auto ?)

I think this is a pretty sweet little idea. I have no concerns that haven't been addressed already here, so have at with your percentages and your chances of living. I'd have to start watching my scroll a lot more closely whenever I had eggs near hatching. xd.png

To be honest, I'm not very excited about this idea. Personally, I don't need two times the same offspring from a pair, and if I got twins from a pair and they'd easily get sick and take longer to grow up, I wouldn't be very happy.

But it's a cute idea, maybe for a new dragon concept (with higher chance of twins then)? But as a general feature, I don't want this.

I'm neutral. I would enjoy having the chance of an extra hatchie pop out of an egg, but this isn't something I need to have. Having increased chances of death because the hatchie happens to be a twin isn't something I look forward to either.

If this were implemented, I support auto-abandoning/ abandoning within 30 minutes if the person is already locked.

Really though, I still prefer the possibility of having twins through multi-clutches over this. I have a pair of Halloween "twins" that I picked up from the AP one year and I'm quite happy with them.

If this were to happen, I'd like it to be entirely random (except for only happening in bred eggs). It'd be a nice surprise every few months/years to get two hatchies from one egg, and would make for interesting description ideas. Perhaps they'd have an Earthquake-esque message on their page: "This dragon was hatched with an identical twin" or something better written.

I think an 0.5% chance of an egg being twin is the highest it could possibly go.

Edited by ab613

This actually sounds really exciting. @_@ Now I'm wondering what would happen if you bit a twin egg. Would you be able to get a vampiric hatchling and a regular hatchling out of it? ohmy.gif (I'm not asking for that, I'm just wildly speculating.)

FYI, I like this idea mainly for the description opportunities arising from it. happy.gif

Sounds like an interesting idea, but they can be different genders too in my opinion.

Outside of certain conditions all identical twins are the same sex. I think gender is determined in the egg stage anyways, and since they share an egg they couldn't possibly gender differently from one another.

Edited by Tehya Faye

Outside of certain conditions all identical twins are the same sex. I think gender is determined in the egg stage anyways, and since they share an egg they couldn't possibly gender differently from one another.

Even if influenced ???

This would be cool! My only counter to the suggestions floating around so far is that I think CBs should be able to twin, with the exception of event dragons (aka Holidays, GoNs, and Raffle Prizes).