MrSpyro

RWBY OOC thread

I still need to make the RP thread (which will probably be tomorrow, I'm tired) but you can sign up beforehand.

[B]Username[/B]:
[B]Character's name[/B]:
[B]Gender[/B]:
[B]Human or Faunus[/B] (Faunus are people with animal features):
[B]Personality[/B]:
[B]Appearance[/B]:
[B]Weapon[/B] (be creative):
[B]Semblance[/B] (some kind of power. Don't make it overpowered):
[B]Bio[/B] (optional):

My character, for reference:

Username: MrSpyro

Character's name: Zephyr Cloudsong

Human or Faunus: Human

Personality: RP'ed

Appearance: He's quite tall and skinny, with a pale complexion and somewhat curly white hair.

Weapon: He has two pistols that turn into daggers with Dust runes on them that he can empower to activate an "air slash" function that he can use to slice things from up to 4 feet away, but it drains his aura. One has a small chain with a magnet at the end that he can attach to the other one to create nunchucks, and he can unfold the nunchucks to turn them into a rifle.

Semblance: Flight

Bio: No, because I work at the muffin factory.

Edited by MrSpyro

Hi, so I do want to do this, but first Ima critique your character a bit. You don't have to change it, but there's a few issues that kinda break canon

Firstly, naming rules from the big man upstairs himself: https://twitter.com/montyoum/status/406894139746172928

zeph·yr

ˈzefər/

noun

noun: zephyr; plural noun: zephyrs

literary

a soft gentle breeze.

historical

a fine cotton gingham.

a very light article of clothing.

EDIT: It occurs to me zephyr might make you think of a color? (It doesn't sound like any that I know of) In which case, I ask what color. Because I honestly can't think of a single color for air movement

It's not an official rule, but it doesn't exactly make sense for him to carry more than one weapon in any form. It makes more sense within the canon to have it simply all be one weapon that transforms a lot

Lastly, I assume you only mean a few feet upward? Because that's what's known as levitation. If you meant like a few feet forward or backward, then that's not a very good limit as distance traveled is rarely noticed during an RP and is very easy to misjudge and forget. Up and down is much clearer

Also, will this just be a sandbox like at school or something? Or do you have a plot in mind?

Will start on my character in a bit

Username: MW898

Character's Name: Buff Blixt

Human or Faunus: Faunus, he has bison horns and is extremely hairy

Personality: Buff is hard-working and practical. Getting things done as best he can. He's not the smartest in the herd, but he makes up for it with time and effort. He's a friendly fellow, never letting anything faze him for too long. It's not hard to draw his hearty laugh, he even makes fun of his own horns much of the time. He's slow to anger, and upon reaching his tipping point he's equally slow to cool down. But once he's beaten the crap out of you, he'll be the one to help you up and take you to the nurse

Appearance: Standing at 5'8", Buff is a very large man, he has spent hours training to build strength. He's covered head to toe in thick hair. His stomach protrudes forward underneath a simple pastel yellow tee. His broad shoulders are alighted on by a simple brown leather jacket. He wears brown jeans and boots over his short but strong legs. He has a belt with a massive buckle, mostly for decoration but also to hold in some excess hair. And he wears a beanie that matches his shirt with his horns protruding out of it

Weapon Molva, a large battleaxe which can convert into a lightning-cannon (using dust of course) or a simple ball about four feet across. All forms are capable of electrifying their surfaces (he has a trigger in them that reacts to his semblance)

Semblance: He is capable of manipulating static electricity

Bio: Buff comes from a relatively rich faunus family. As such, he was given higher schooling than most faunus. He was regarded as an outcast by both humans, most of whom found him ugly and made fun of his heritage, and faunus, who saw him as spoiled or even a traitor. Buff never let it bother him though, he put in his work and had near-perfect scores in almost all his classes #totallynotlameandgeneric

Other: Despite his size, he's actually fairly quick if you let him get moving. He's equally hard to stop though

Edited by MasterWeavile898

I second the weapons thing. Nobody ever has any weapon "in reserve" I don't think.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure but don't the weapons also all have names?

Edited by TehUltimateMage

Hi, so I do want to do this, but first Ima critique your character a bit. You don't have to change it, but there's a few issues that kinda break canon

Firstly, naming rules from the big man upstairs himself: https://twitter.com/montyoum/status/406894139746172928

EDIT: It occurs to me zephyr might make you think of a color? (It doesn't sound like any that I know of) In which case, I ask what color. Because I honestly can't think of a single color for air movement

It's not an official rule, but it doesn't exactly make sense for him to carry more than one weapon in any form. It makes more sense within the canon to have it simply all be one weapon that transforms a lot

Lastly, I assume you only mean a few feet upward? Because that's what's known as levitation. If you meant like a few feet forward or backward, then that's not a very good limit as distance traveled is rarely noticed during an RP and is very easy to misjudge and forget. Up and down is much clearer

Also, will this just be a sandbox like at school or something? Or do you have a plot in mind?

Will start on my character in a bit

Username: MW898

Character's Name: Buff Blixt

Human or Faunus: Faunus, he has bison horns and is extremely hairy

Personality: Buff is hard-working and practical. Getting things done as best he can. He's not the smartest in the herd, but he makes up for it with time and effort. He's a friendly fellow, never letting anything faze him for too long. It's not hard to draw his hearty laugh, he even makes fun of his own horns much of the time. He's slow to anger, and upon reaching his tipping point he's equally slow to cool down. But once he's beaten the crap out of you, he'll be the one to help you up and take you to the nurse

Appearance: Standing at 5'8", Buff is a very large man, he has spent hours training to build strength. He's covered head to toe in thick hair. His stomach protrudes forward underneath a simple pastel yellow tee. His broad shoulders are alighted on by a simple brown leather jacket. He wears brown jeans and boots over his short but strong legs. He has a belt with a massive buckle, mostly for decoration but also to hold in some excess hair. And he wears a beanie that matches his shirt with his horns protruding out of it

Weapon Molva, a large battleaxe which can convert into a lightning-cannon (using dust of course) or a simple ball about four feet across. All forms are capable of electrifying their surfaces (he has a trigger in them that reacts to his semblance)

Semblance: He is capable of manipulating static electricity

Bio: Buff comes from a relatively rich faunus family. As such, he was given higher schooling than most faunus. He was regarded as an outcast by both humans, most of whom found him ugly and made fun of his heritage, and faunus, who saw him as spoiled or even a traitor. Buff never let it bother him though, he put in his work and had near-perfect scores in almost all his classes #totallynotlameandgeneric

Other: Despite his size, he's actually fairly quick if you let him get moving. He's equally hard to stop though

I'm not going to bother with the naming thing, and accepted

...It's a rule, from the creator of the show, you can't just ignore it. Assuming you mean the color/name thing

The weapon name one is a bit iffier, but still kinda of standard

EDIT: Also, still waiting on plot things

I don't think we should bother listening to that, I mean Jaune, Pyrrah Nora and Ren aren't based off colours there cross dressers!

I'm interested though, might join hooray for Rooby.

Marcus, lemme explain a fact you've overlooked. Even JNPR is color-coded, in a way. You should check the wiki before speaking. biggrin.gif

Here, directly quoted from the wiki, are five quotes about the team and its members.

"JNPR (Juniper berries, blue)...", as well as "Juniper bushes are also known to turn bright yellow." The former is the color which they are based on, and as they are the rival team to RWBY, they are a blue color, opposite of the ruby's (red gemstone). About the second part, this is how the name of the team is linked to the leader. For instance, Ruby is linked directly by name to RWBY, as well as having the same color (red scheme and red gemstone), whilst here, Jaune's linked by how the juniper bushes can turn yellow, which is his color scheme.

Jaune's name is a reference to Jeanne d'Arc (Joan of Arc), a medieval French war heroine and martyr, and "Jaune" is the French word for yellow.

"Nora" may be an abbreviation of the Greek Eleanor or Eleonora, meaning light, or the Latin Honora, meaning honor. Nora, alternatively spelled Nóra or Norah, is also a given name in several European languages. In Arabic, "Nora" is another form of Noor or Nur (نور), also literally meaning 'light'. Also, Nora's name may reference her color via the Nora Barlow Columbine, a pink flower named after the granddaughter of Charles Darwin.

"Pyrrha" is derived from the Greek adjective pyrrhos (πυρρός), which means "flame-colored". Nikos (Νίκος), meaning "victor of the people", is derived from Nike, the Greek Goddess of Victory. Monty said that Pyrrha is named after her hair.

Ren is Japanese for "lotus," hence his emblem. Lie (烈) is Chinese for "ardent." However, in this case, the phrase for his name is most likely: Liè rén (猎人), or the Chinese characters for "huntsman." As you can see, his clothing does remind of a lotus, with a main green part fading into small, pink pieces.

As Monty said, it's all about the colors in this animation, so it'd have to be true, even for JNPR.

Ehh, I'm talking about their characters, Joan of Arc/ Thor/ Achilles/ Mulan... I suppose I was more discussing who they're based off like how Ruby is red riding hood and Yang is Goldilocks...

Explain CRDL then tongue.gif

And Cinder

Ozpin

Penny

Glynda/Glinda

Sun (might mean gold I guess)

EDIT: Anyway heres my overly long sign up, points for those who figure out the meaning behind his name, shouldn't be too hard.

Username: Marcus Pheonix

Character's name: Beely Kurtén

Human or Faunus Faunus, he possesses two small bear ears that are hard to see through his hair, also has slightly large canines.

Personality: A mellow guy, he enjoys sleep and relaxation during down time, but when things get serious he lets the beast out! He's also quite smart but has a tendency to fall asleep.

Appearance: A large man standing at 6'7 with a broad chest and thick arms, he would be called intimidating were it not for his considerable gut. He is very pale, with thick, shaggy white hair, which is impossible to brush, and dark eyes. He wears a light grey coat, over a pale grey shirt, over a white singlet, with grey pants. The coat reaches just below his waist line and is usually fulled buttoned, he also posses a dark grey muffler and silver beanie.

Weapon: Bladed gauntlets, they have 4, three-part extending blades on the knuckles and cover from the elbow to the base of the fingers, fitted with gloves. The left gauntlet is fitted with thrusters at the elbow and a full gauntlets (they cover his fingers) allowing for his arm to be propelled forward allowing for powerful hits. The right arm possesses a long chord (fed up the sleeve to a harness on his chest) and thrusters around the wrist allowing the gauntlet to be fired forward as a grappling hook or a long range weapon.

Semblance: Using the surrounding matter he can create a spherical barrier around him, out of earth, air, water, ice, wood. They are mainly defensive but when he is moving with momentum he can utilise it to bowl through obstructions and enemies. He can also only partially create a barrier in specific directions.

Bio (optional): Beely was quite lonely during his child hood, growning up in an orphanage. He grew up in northern Mistral. Initially he was secluded from group activities due to the bear ears on his head, even though the heads of the orphanage tried to include him as much as they could. Soon he started attending a normal school, but even after growing his hair to hide his ears he was rejected due to his size, usually standing at least a head taller than every other student. Eventually he discovered his semblance when he was hit by a car and walked away from it and chose to study at Sanctum, until getting accepted into Beacon.

Edited by Marcus Pheonix

Lemme dig into the Wiki once again.

CRDL seems to be mainly focused on bird-like species, it seems, with Cardinal being based on the bird species of the same name, Russel being mainly based on the red-throated thrush (also implied from his first name, Russel, meaning red in English), Dove being based on the bronzewing pidgeon and Sky being based on the Alauda, which are also called Skylarks. All of them share the same eye color, with different shades of blue, yet the cardinal color is described as red from Wikipedia, so I'm not exactly sure what the color they are based on is. They were collecting red sap which reminds me a lot in terms of color to the cardinal, though, so it's probably that color.

Cardin's color is brown, Russel's is green, Dove's is a bronzish yellow and Sky's is a sligthly light blue.

Next, Cinder. She seems to be based off of Cinderella, since she has fire-based magic and is usually seen wearing slippers of a glass-like material. She was also to be named Cinder Ella, with ella's meaning coming from the same Spanish word, which means 'she'. According to the wiki, the symbol on her back reminds of two slippers placed so the heels face each other.

Ozpin... strangely, Monty has said he doesn't follow the naming rule. Otherwise, he's based on the Wizard of Oz. The same seems to go for Glynda, since both are based on characters from The Wizard of Oz, with her being based on Glynda the Good Witch.

Penny doesn't seem to have a color, either. She is based on Pinocchio, as she is a synthetic being capable of generating Aura, as in, a non-human capable of human feats... maybe she doesn't have one since she isn't human? However, her second name may be Polendina, which would definitely solidify her connection to Pinocchio. IF she were to have a color, it'd most likely be a bronze, penny-like color, which her hair kinda reminds of, or a more wood-like color.

Lastly, Sun Wukong... he's based on the same named character from chinese novels from the 16th century. His main color seems to be a slight blond, something like buff, since his hair and tail are of that color, and the weapons he wields solidify his connection to the older character. He has a light-like semblance which allows him to summon clones made of light, which reminds yet again of his color.

It's not a full answer, of course, since I'm not Monty, but those are trivia from the Wiki, along with my own observations, so take them as that and not more.

EDITTO: Ermahgerd, if it goes on like this, we won't have any women on team! xd.png I'll add my form soon.

Edited by KuroKishi

Haha! Then I'm right, not every characters name is based off a colour! They may have colour motifs with their costume design but they're not based off a colour!

I never argued that EVERYONE was color-coded, since Ozpin and Glynda are barely associated with a color, and Penny, well... she's just not normal. I just corrected you on your claim about JNPR not being color-coded. tongue.gif

Didn't anyone check the thing MW linked? Ozpin was the only exception. Everybody else has either names of colors in other languages or named after things that have color. Cardinal makes you think of red, for example. Cinder makes you think of grey.

^^^There's multiple levels if meaning. Some of them we won't get since we're not Monty. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to follow the rules with our characters

And no, not based on a color. But they do all have color names. Which is the point I'm trying to push

EDIT Also, while I'm going to leave most of your sheet alone, Marcus, there is this

until getting accepted into Beacon.

We don't actually know whether we're even at Beacon

Ehh, I'm talking about their characters, Joan of Arc/ Thor/ Achilles/ Mulan... I suppose I was more discussing who they're based off like how Ruby is red riding hood and Yang is Goldilocks...

Explain CRDL then tongue.gif

And Cinder

Ozpin

Penny

Glynda/Glinda

Sun (might mean gold I guess)

EDIT: Anyway heres my overly long sign up, points for those who figure out the meaning behind his name, shouldn't be too hard.

Username: Marcus Pheonix

Character's name: Beely Kurtén

Human or Faunus Faunus, he possesses two bear ears that are hard to see through his hair, also has slightly large canines.

Personality: A mellow guy, he enjoys sleep and relaxation during down time, but when things get serious he lets the beast out! He's also quite smart but has a tendency to fall asleep.

Appearance: A tall (6'7) well built man, however his stomach is fairly close in size to his chest, though his arms and legs clearly display their strength. He is very pale, with thick, almost shaggy silver hair and dark eyes. He wears a light grey coat, over a pale grey shirt, over a white singlet, with grey pants. The coat reaches just below his waist line and is usually fulled buttoned, he also posses a dark grey muffler and white beanie.

Weapon: Bladed gauntlets, they have 4, three-part extending blades on the knuckles and cover from the elbow to the base of the fingers, fitted with gloves. The left gauntlet is fitted with thrusters at the elbow and a full gauntlets (they cover his fingers) allowing for his arm to be propelled forward allowing for powerful hits. The right arm possesses a long chord (fed up the sleeve to a harness on his chest) and thrusters around the wrist allowing the gauntlet to be fired forward as a grappling hook or a long range weapon.

Semblance: Adaptive Skin - As he takes damage he can consequentially take more and more before falling.

Bio (optional): Beely was quite lonely during his child hood, growning up in an orphanage. He grew up in northern Mistral. Initially he was secluded from group activities due to the bear ears on his head, even though the heads of the orphanage tried to include him as much as they could. Soon he started attending a normal school, but even after growing his hair to hide his ears he was rejected due to his size, usually standing at least a head taller than every other student. Eventually he discovered his semblance when he was hit by a car and walked away from it and chose to study at Sanctum, until getting accepted into Beacon.

Also accepted

Spyro, I would really still like confirmation on plot things. Are we at Beacon? Is it just a sandbox? Do the canon characters exist there?

I really do need this information. If you don't have plans I'd also be happy to help you devise a plot

What about Ozpin and Glynda and such? They're canon too and don't exactly graduate

Alright, I can handle that. We get to pick our teammates, right?

Mkay, thank you

I think it would be best. Because thinking up team names would be hellish if you were to just mash people together. If we picked out our own (though in-story it would probs seem selected for them by the teachers) then we could plan in advance

a rwby rp sounds interesting ouo

Username: Switch

Character's name: Akako Akashiya

Human or Faunus (Faunus are people with animal features): Silver fox Faunus.

Personality: RP'd

Appearance: Akako has a narrow, angular face with reddish-pink almond shaped eyes and tanned skin. Her hair is deep red with black highlights, shoulder length, and somewhat messily cut. She has a lean build with fairly defined muscles and is 5'5". She has black fox ears on the top of her head. She wears a black leather crop jacket with a very tall collar over a white tank top. She has fingerless dark red leather gloves with spikes, ripped black jean shorts, and dark red camo-patterned combat boots. She has two spike labret piercings and a spike tongue piercing.

Weapon (be creative): Zakuro-Bakudan, a somewhat large, double-headed meteor hammer. The weights can be lit with fire dust or set to explode. They can also detatch from the chain, allowing for further ranged attacks.

Semblance (some kind of power. Don't make it overpowered): She can temporary block out pain. However, she still receives injuries as normal.

Bio (optional): RP'd

I hope this is acceptable ;u; lemme know if anything needs to be changed. I've seen all of RWBY but i might have forgotten a rule or something.

Also her name does have a color meaning.

Edited by Switch

Come on people we need some normal humans, so many faunus whos going to provide conflict?

Also based off the people with forms so far team names!

Back from the last names... could be Black?

Other than that I got no clue...