TJ09

ANSWERED:Time-based egg slot

You know - I no longer support this. Nor will I till the issue of scripters can be dealt with. Sorry, but that will be MORE slots for them to use to snag rares and demand silly trades for them.

Much as I want 8 for breeding pairs.

Do you think this single extra egg slot would allow the scripters to cut back on multi-scrolls? xd.png

If some people will cheat by scripting, I wouldn't expect them to have any compunctions about cheating in other ways, and for all I know, there are people running a script to a different scroll in each biome separately; that may even be how they need to do that, which would actually sound more likely (granted to One Who Knows Nothing About Coding/Technical Stuff, lol) than one script being able to cover all biomes. (At least, I'd assume they'd have to enter one, sorta like us?)

It's those of us who like to stay within the rules who (edit: would) benefit by an extra egg-slot, not those who (edit:could) always just start another scroll, until they eventually all get burnt.

Edit: the Typo Queen, btw, welcomes any actual information as to whether she's talking through her hat again on this, lol. 4 AM, and here I am, still up with my dragons, when suddenly, a wild guess appeared. xd.png

Edited by Syphoneira

Do you think this single extra egg slot would allow the scripters to cut back on multi-scrolls? xd.png

If some people will cheat by scripting, I wouldn't expect them to have any compunctions about cheating in other ways, and for all I know, there are people running a script to a different scroll in each biome separately; that may even be how they need to do that, which would actually sound more likely (granted to One Who Knows Nothing About Coding/Technical Stuff, lol) than one script being able to cover all biomes. (At least, I'd assume they'd have to enter one, sorta like us?)

It's those of us who like to stay within the rules who (edit: would) benefit by an extra egg-slot, not those who (edit:could) always just start another scroll, until they eventually all get burnt.

Edit: the Typo Queen, btw, welcomes any actual information as to whether she's talking through her hat again on this, lol. 4 AM, and here I am, still up with my dragons, when suddenly, a wild guess appeared. xd.png

Very true, unfortunately. Although I doubt that one script couldn't run at once in several tabs at once, each tab "showing" another biome. Heck, it might even be possible to do so for multiple scrolls if you use different browsers, as you can be logged into a different account with every single browser. (Ahem. My daughter is constantly logged in on Firefox, I am constantly logged in on Chrome. Both on the same computer, obviously.)

Do you think this single extra egg slot would allow the scripters to cut back on multi-scrolls? xd.png.png

Nup - but every little might help. And imagine a multi-ing scripter's 12 scrolls with 20 slots...

*hurls snoring thoughts at syphoneira*

You know - I no longer support this. Nor will I till the issue of scripters can be dealt with. Sorry, but that will be MORE slots for them to use to snag rares and demand silly trades for them.

Much as I want 8 for breeding pairs.

But for those of us who don't particularly care about rares? (I gave up on them long ago!) We should have to suffer along with our paltry 7 egg slots just because of the cheaters? And are there really that many scripters out there? Suddenly every suggestion thread seems to be getting "but what about the scripters and multi-scrollers" but are they really so much of a problem that the rest of us can't have good things?

But for those of us who don't particularly care about rares? (I gave up on them long ago!) We should have to suffer along with our paltry 7 egg slots just because of the cheaters? And are there really that many scripters out there? Suddenly every suggestion thread seems to be getting "but what about the scripters and multi-scrollers" but are they really so much of a problem that the rest of us can't have good things?

I'm inclined to agree with Purplehaze on this one... and I LIKE rares when I can get them!

Cheaters gonna cheat whatever happens.

The most we can do is try to catch them and report them.

It doesn't follow that the REST of us ought to be punished because of them by not getting nice things... like PRECIOUS new egg slots... PURELY because cheaters would misuse them.

While I definitely GET why cheaters are unpopular... that is ultimately what trying to avoid giving them tools does.

Edited by Silverswift

In my experience?

Cheaters are FAR less of a problem to getting rares than the stagnant Biomes are. Oh sure, we do have cheaters out there.... But I don't cheat, and I've managed to catch a couple Metals in my time. Each and every one of which happened in Biomes that were near empty that moved unexpectedly. I *can* catch Xenos, too, but since I don't have the patience or the time to spend a minute every 5 minutes for an hour+ just to get one.... I'm going to trade for most of mine.

Metals were showing up a lot more frequently and in many new hands, when the Biomes were moving quickly due to obsessive Xeno hunting. I wonder why......

(Actually, I know why.... The Bimoes were actually moving for once!)

So... I support this idea. Totally! MAOR AP hatchies for me! MWAHAHAHAHA!

Cheers!

C4.

I agree with you. Rares aren't happening for me, either, although I can always hope. I still haven't seen a Cave Almandine or Spessartine, and the random Coppers I see are generally gone faster than I can move. I still need an Astrapi male to complete my first Xeno breeding pairs, and I guess that may take a while.. But I want to pick up and breed commons for lineage ideas that I have, and more slots would be the greatest help in doing that.

Yes, get the scripters and the multi-scrollers. I do report evidence of multi-scrolling where I see it, (2 in the last month) and although I don't know how to tell if someone is a scripter, I would report that if I saw anything to indicate it. But don't hold the rest of us back because someone breaks the rules.

I'm totally hatchling locked again. rolleyes.gif I want more slots. smile.gif

Punishing all due to the mistakes and errors of a few is not how you solve the problem. Its as simple as that.

Has anyone had a class where if one person messed up the whole class got punished? How does that help anyone? If I am doing good, abiding by the rules, doing my best, why should I be punished for their mistakes? It makes no sense.

Let TJ deal with scripters and cheater how he can. We can't do more than report suspicious activity. Using cheaters as an excuse to hold back everyone else is just unfair. At this point its not a reason, its an excuse. So many things pertaining to biome movement, ratios, rares, and this suggestion have people trying to hold them back from happening under the excuse of scripters. As if not doing anything will suddenly make them stop. They wont.

Not implementing any of these ideas wont make cheaters stop. So why hold our selves back for some aholes who don't want to play fair like the rest of us?

Punishing all due to the mistakes and errors of a few is not how you solve the problem. Its as simple as that.

Has anyone had a class where if one person messed up the whole class got punished? How does that help anyone? If I am doing good, abiding by the rules, doing my best, why should I be punished for their mistakes? It makes no sense.

Let TJ deal with scripters and cheater how he can. We can't do more than report suspicious activity. Using cheaters as an excuse to hold back everyone else is just unfair. At this point its not a reason, its an excuse. So many things pertaining to biome movement, ratios, rares, and this suggestion have people trying to hold them back from happening under the excuse of scripters. As if not doing anything will suddenly make them stop. They wont.

Not implementing any of these ideas wont make cheaters stop. So why hold our selves back for some aholes who don't want to play fair like the rest of us?

I agree entirely.

Cheaters will always cheat. Right now, I'm pretty thoroughly locked..... Mostly with commons for breeding purposes. Why should I deny myself the joy of an extra egg slot.... When someone who scripts is already cheating and probably a multi as well, so they already have plenty of extra spaces?

Cheers!

C4.

Well, if someone is inclined to use cheats (scripts) to help themselves to rares, what's stopping them from creating multiple accounts?

In my experience?

Cheaters are FAR less of a problem to getting rares than the stagnant Biomes are. Oh sure, we do have cheaters out there.... But I don't cheat, and I've managed to catch a couple Metals in my time. Each and every one of which happened in Biomes that were near empty that moved unexpectedly. I *can* catch Xenos, too, but since I don't have the patience or the time to spend a minute every 5 minutes for an hour+ just to get one.... I'm going to trade for most of mine.

Metals were showing up a lot more frequently and in many new hands, when the Biomes were moving quickly due to obsessive Xeno hunting. I wonder why......

(Actually, I know why.... The Bimoes were actually moving for once!)

So... I support this idea. Totally! MAOR AP hatchies for me! MWAHAHAHAHA!

Cheers!

C4.

Totally agree - the less-common eggs cannot appear when multiple far more common ones are blocking them from coming out.

Hunting is boring because we're refreshing over and over the same eggs which keep appearing over and over and which we already have enough of so what little variety we see, after years of collection, nearly always consists of eggs we don't want more of and will take only at low-time, when we've space for ERs/Incuhatchables.

Biome hunting surely isn't meant to be a boring - even dreaded - chore where we collect eggs we absolutely don't want any more of, at least at full time - it's supposed to be something fun and productive which we do in our spare time.

I came on today, very tired and groggy, but getting better refreshes than yesterday, when I only caught one Zeno (although I finally got some UnCommons I needed biggrin.gif despite still having seen no Pyrals in either the Coast or Alpine though the entire Release) and saw very few.

I missed 4 (which I saw because of the better refreshes, since they weren't gone by the time I got there, so to speak,) within about 20 minutes, but knowing they were there and missed because I reacted too slowly gave me impetus to stay on and catch the 5th (cofffffeeeee!!!!! laugh.gif ) in my only open spot.

Even frequently seeing things which you don't catch makes a huge difference because it's not just the same boring slog, and you then know there's something there to try for, so it doesn't seem like a boring purposeless waste of time during which you're eventually zoning out to the point you don't immediately notice things when they DO finally come up.

If the biomes moved and there was more than a seemingly endless stream of the same unwanted eggs showing, what a difference that would make!

I can (vaguely) recall a description of war in the trenches where it was said to consist mostly of vast stretches of boredom punctuated by moments of terror - but most of us come here hoping for peace and plenty, lol.

Getting the biomes moving via something like the auto-biome-dump-to-the-AP of untaken eggs, and adding an extra egg slot and several more hatchy spaces so we can take advantage of more low-time CBs in the AP would, if gradually, move us closer to having a MUCH better playing experience.

Would people using scripts even likely to use their own scrolls for this?

As I (admittedly vaguely) understand it, (and this is based on what someone posted on a DC thread about this years back regarding what she was doing with a script - which she didn't consider cheating???!!! blink.gif - which was to simply leave it running and come back to check it later,) they probably wouldn't be able to do anything with their scrolls while running one, and running them on other scrolls would probably be thought to lessen the risk of the main one being caught as well, although I understand there are ways of tracking and eventually catching them, even if it does sometimes take a while.

I assume that these would be sort of the programs TJ runs to flag and investigate multi's. (The mills of justice may run slowly, but they burn exceedingly fine, lol.)

But I have to admit that I think it's not well thought out as well as unfair to say that we shouldn't have nice things because others are already cheating to have more than we ever will, on the theory that it might add to their already grossly unfair advantage, while in reality, it's more likely to help the rest of us to at least some slight degree in reducing the disparity between our 7 egg-slots and the cheater's however many extra entire scrolls.

Please don't use cheaters we're not even sure exist in abundance to justify keeping nice things from the rest of us. :E

Yeah, I'm not really seeing how adding an egg slot will make cheaters cheat more, or leaving it the way it is make them cheat less. I don't think that saying people will cheat is a real deterrent to an idea such as this, any more than saying people will abuse a sociopolitical system if a change is made; there is a system, therefore some people will choose to subvert it. If there was a different system, there'd just be a different way to game it. All we can do is report them so that the behavior is punished and those dragons can cycle back into the cave.

This.

Sure, this would be giving cheaters another egg slot, but it'd also be giving honest players another egg slot. It's not unbalancing the game any more than it is now.

I would LOVE another egg slot, it would let me pick up even numbers of Halloween dragons without trading... which can be a hassle sometimes. And whenever another multi-dragon release happens, it'll ease the struggle of trying to get every type by a bit.

Also it would help a lot trying to scoop up more past-holiday eggs. There are always so many of those, it's hard to get as many as I'd like! Haha xd.png

Edited by silver_chan

Nup - but every little might help. And imagine a multi-ing scripter's 12 scrolls with 20 slots...

*hurls snoring thoughts at syphoneira*

Actually, I think that the last person that would need the time-based egg slot would be a cheater.

Let's imagine two scenarios:

1) multi-ing scripter's 12 scrolls with 8 slots (I know you said 20 but let's stick to the suggestion). So this tireless scripter would need to raise 6000 (500*12) adults and have those 12 scrolls for at least one year. And since the goal of scripting/multiscrolling is to catch rares, that means 6000 rares

2) multi-ing scripter's 24 scrolls with 4 slots, no additional effort needed

Now, which option do you think the mult-ing scripter will choose???

I would also like to address another point that has been bugging me. Does someone remember when the script kiddies "mystic" started? It was so cool to go hacking so a bunch of teenagers started downloading and installing scripts - written by very few others since they skills were quite minimal, if they had any. Reading some people here, the message seems to be "scripts are all powerful and you can get all those metals with them". In consequence, wanna bet that a bunch of users went googling and installed the same scripts we are worried about?

By the way, who said that those DC scripts are any good and can do better than a giga connection, fast reflexes and a gaming computer? If the real scripter (as in the guy/gal that wrote the script, we already know that the ones that installed it are unskilled) was that skilled, he/she would be tracking stocks, not pixels.

Another point, brought up by cyradis4. Since the biomes started moving because of the Xenowyrms release, people are seeing more metals. Did all scripters went on vacation? Or is because the biomes are moving?

I'm not referencing fuzzbucket here but, it seems to me that "scripters" are becoming a good excuse to reject any change.

Actually, I think that the last person that would need the time-based egg slot would be a cheater.

1) multi-ing scripter's 12 scrolls with 8 slots (I know you said 20 but let's stick to the suggestion). So this tireless scripter would need to raise 6000 (500*12) adults and have those 12 scrolls for at least one year. And since the goal of scripting/multiscrolling is to catch rares, that means 6000 rares

I would also like to address another point that has been bugging me. Does someone remember when the script kiddies "mystic" started? It was so cool to go hacking so a bunch of teenagers started downloading and installing scripts - written by very few others since they skills were quite minimal, if they had any. Reading some people here, the message seems to be "scripts are all powerful and you can get all those metals with them". In consequence, wanna bet that a bunch of users went googling and installed the same scripts we are worried about?

By the way, who said that those DC scripts are any good and can do better than a giga connection, fast reflexes and a gaming computer? If the real scripter (as in the guy/gal that wrote the script, we already know that the ones that installed it are unskilled) was that skilled, he/she would be tracking stocks, not pixels.

Another point, brought up by cyradis4. Since the biomes started moving because of the Xenowyrms release, people are seeing more metals. Did all scripters went on vacation? Or is because the biomes are moving?

I'm not referencing fuzzbucket here but, it seems to me that "scripters" are becoming a good excuse to reject any change.

Thank you. This. This along with what I said.

This whole scripter "issue" is no more an issue than it is a bloody excuse. Its a dumb reason to try and hold back progress.

I agree with this - I see it so much in threads these days. I'd rather not shoot down good/useful/wanted suggestions just because of cheaters. The solution to cheating is to crack down on it - not to limit users who could benefit from suggestions just because cheaters would also benefit.

Kind of a side note, but there's more talk about cheaters these days. I don't think it's particularly because there's more cheaters around - just that users are more aware of the cheating than we used to be.

I would love an extra slot. o3o

Dunno if this would be much of a factor, but it actually just occurred to me to wonder if any multi's might start initially just because they're OCD about having *pairs/stock for 3rd even-gens* for things like New Releases/Halloweens, and if having a potential for 8 eggslots for, at least, Gold Trophies, might even, however slightly, reduce the incidence of multi's starting by possibly picking up a 'spare' scroll for such purposes and potentially expanding from there, until they get burnt.

Cheaters might actually be a better argument FOR this, as they'd have relatively little benefit from the extra slots, as compared to the rest of us, whereas (speaking as someone on her first cup of coffee, lol,) it seems possible that it might perhaps even reduce temptation for some to start taking one step in the wrong direction which could snowball into something much worse. Just a thought...

Excellent points.

C'mon TJ, we neeeeeeeeed really, really want this! xd.png

I SO second the emotion! Most people do pairs in Releases, some people are OCD about even numbers and many of us would LOVE this.

Of course, then we also need a Fog/UnFog All action even more, lol - perhaps the Chronos could help with that copious lack of spare time you probably have? laugh.gif

Sounds like a sound idea.

More egg slots would make people more willing to take the eggs nobody wants, and I like the idea of rewarding players who keep coming back to the game, inevitably making the community grow.

PLEASE.

TJ--pls! This is honestly the most appealing suggestion I think I've seen in a really long time, and that fact that it was created by the site-owner himself means that it's actually something that might wind up being established! I love it!

Edit: And even for newer users who haven't been here an entire year yet, that still gives people incentive to stick around~ wink.gif

Edited by xxBurningxx

Two of my friends have their own accounts that have been around for a few years now, and they're still bronze or silver. This proves that 1+ year(s) doesn't mean you have gold xd.png

I got my gold in under half a year, with my growing stripe hoard accounting for a 1/5 of all my dragons.

But I'd love to see this idea!