Mondat

More retired/limited breeds

I'd rather not see such an idea being implemented. This could ruin several lineage projects. One dragon breed might be a cave blocker to you, but to someone else it might be their favorite dragon, just saying.

No. As many others have stated, the fact that DC does NOT make a habit of retiring breeds is one of its most appealing features. One of the things I appreciate most about this game is that I can walk away from it for a little while anytime real life takes over, logging in occasionally to breed for IOUs and to preserve my names, then come back and play in full force again once RL calms down a bit. I've done this over and over in my DC career.

By retiring breeds, you'd interrupt major projects and fill people with regret that they hadn't caught enough of XYZ (just look at the wounds Frills and Old Pinks caused upon their retirement).

By introducing more limited-time breeds, you'd create black holes of drama (because holidays are already full of stupid drama) and upset people who were taking a quick break.

Pros

[+] Less dragons in the cave, less misclicks, less egg descriptions to remember wink.gif

[+] The demand for previously "unpoplar" but then retired dragon breeds might increase => more variety on the trading market

[+] Limited dragon breeds might make players feel more obliged to keep playing so they do not miss the caveborns

[+] Players might get some more "trophies in dragon sprite form" because they think "when these were released, I was there"

You may consider these 'pros', but I see all but the last as cons. I LIKE having tons of breeds in the cave (though I'd be good with introducing some new biomes). It makes the hunt more interesting. The trading market is a complete mess and this would only serve to make it uglier. I don't WANT to feel obliged to keep playing constantly for the reasons detailed above - I love the fact that I can play on my own time table as I have time for the game. The last one is a *Shrug* sort of pro that doesn't seem like much of a big deal - so you have bragging rights on your scroll. So what?

If DC did start routinely retiring breeds, I wouldn't see a point to playing anymore.

Edited by LibbyLishly

I'd rather not see such an idea being implemented. This could ruin several lineage projects. One dragon breed might be a cave blocker to you, but to someone else it might be their favorite dragon, just saying.

THIS!

Everyone has their favorites and they may or may not be the same as yours. And guess what... that is OK. People's tastes differ. That is why I feel that having so many dragons is a good thing. ADMITTEDLY there may come a time when something has to be done about crowding if breeds continue to be added the way they have been... but SURLY there must be a better solution than retiring old breeds or making them limited editions. That, as someone said, would be sure to create drama. Think of it this way, how would you feel if your all time favorite breed were retired?

I don't see what happened here as being blasted.

I mean, the person made their suggestion and people are explaining their objections to it, pure and simple. i don 't see any name calling or rudeness ( which I suspect the mods wouldn't allow anyway), just people saying they don't like the idea and WHY they don't like it. As someone else said, if people are responding with emotion, maybe there is a reason for it.

Well, I have no idea if something happened here (but I see a mod warning..?) - I haven't been on this forum since posting this suggestion due to lack of time.

I would like to point out that I posted this suggestion not because it was "my idea" per se, I posted it because there was some discussion about retiring breeds in another thread and I thought it would be nice to have a separate thread for it.

It just happens that I actually would not mind if we could have more retired/limited breeds. I admit I was against this idea as well first, but after thinking more about it I changed my mind. I did my best to come up with pros and cons from an objective point of view and also added some things which where said in the other thread.

People are free to express their "opinion", even if it's only "No, I do not like it." without stating a reason as to why they do not like it. I do not care.

Anyway, I will thoroughly read the thread and update the first post later, I hope I'll see that other users brought up things which could be added.

Nah, man. I like building lineages using common breeds usually because they're common and easy to get my hands on in the Cave. This would have the potential to really ruin my playstyle.

As for more limited edition breeds, I don't really mind one way or the other. I wouldn't hate it if we started having more, but I also don't really find it a necessary addition.

No no no no NO. I joined DC mainly BECAUSE it differed from most other adoptables sites in that regard. I hate the "holier than thou" attitude that can develop in older players as they slowly gain an army of things newer players can never have, and knowing that if you don't play constantly you could miss a gorgeous creature forever is extremely discouraging.

While DC's growing collection of dragons is worth keeping an eye on--and discussing ways to keep balanced--I would like to see every other alternative attempted before this one. I would rather see more biomes, more ways of obtaining things, more night / day shifts, more breed-only, and more fixed rarities before this happens. While Pokemon and DC are very different games, I think they share some elements in the "how can we add lots of monsters without making things overwhelming" department, so following Pokemon's ways of really splitting up how and where you find beasts to keep any one area from becoming overstuffed could serve uses here.

I agree with ADP.

In my opinion everybody should be able to earn every CB dragon in this game in any time, no matter when they registered.

I don't want to be advantaged by removing potential dragons to the future users and be one of those who speculate on this.

Edited by Naruhina_94

No thanks. I'm usually months behind in picking up new breeds as it is (as my scroll will attest to) and I like that I can wait months, even years to pick up a breed, let alone get the alternative sprites. While I wouldn't throw my teddy out the pram if it did happen, I certainly wouldn't be bothered trying to pick up 'limited edition' dragons. Don't we have enough of those already - rares, dinosaurs, leetle trees, holiday dragons...?

Ah, man. It seems good on one hand, bad on the other. This is a hard one for me to decide. If something like this were to take place, I would hope for three months notice to get as many as possible before they blink out of existence. All the better if they continue to breed true so we can gift new members with extinct or limited edition dragons. The rares should NEVER be on the list of those to go limited or extinct. But then... that kind of makes them less desirable than the commons that are chosen to be kicked out, so either way, I'm still torn.

My thoughts - Yes, the cave is overcrowded with too many egg descriptions to remember.

Also no. I don't like the idea of anymore limited editions or extinct dragons.

Ah, man. It seems good on one hand, bad on the other. This is a hard one for me to decide. If something like this were to take place, I would hope for three months notice to get as many as possible before they blink out of existence. All the better if they continue to breed true so we can gift new members with extinct or limited edition dragons. The rares should NEVER be on the list of those to go limited or extinct. But then... that kind of makes them less desirable than the commons that are chosen to be kicked out, so either way, I'm still torn.

My thoughts - Yes, the cave is overcrowded with too many egg descriptions to remember.

Haha no. imo it's all bad.

If you make them breed true, that makes it seem like the CB ones are worth more. Also at that point it's not true retirement. It also severely limits the freedom in building lineages, as to get certain dragons for the first gen of a lineage, you'd have to trade for them.

If rares never go out, it means we're defining which dragons are "too common"- dragons that will just be replaced with OTHER cave blockers. It also forces artificial value on those dragons that you retire (or strips it entirely, as they can't do anything except sit there on a scroll) and could make rares worth more or less, depending on how it's done (probably worth more, because everyone would probably need those for trading once it's announced a breed is being retired and everyone is scrambling to get them at whatever cost).

As for being "overcrowded", that's why I'd prefer more biomes and probably also migration, so certain dragons fluctuate in availability (or at least become significantly more common/rare depending on the season), to keep the cave from getting too stale and cutting back on the descriptions you need to remember at one time.

Also, the great thing about most of the commons is, you probably don't even need to know their descriptions because you can easily find CBs in the AP anyway.

What I used to do when I had lots of descriptions to remember was I used to write them down and have the reference sheet next to me while hunting, so I could quickly check.

I know that you're torn and leaning mostly against this suggestion, but having trouble remembering egg descriptions doesn't really seem like a strong pro in favor of this suggestion. If people have trouble remembering what egg is what, it's best to record the description like Eef suggested or use the Dragon Cave Wiki fansite to look them up in the meantime. Continually retiring dragons available in cave also probably won't help anyone remember egg descriptions any easier.

....Frills and Bright Pinks were special cases, and Frills seem to be pretty much confirmed for coming back. ......

I can't get past this for right now...please say you are not kidding..I'd LOVE to have the frills back!!!

ok edit to add:

agree fully with this person LOL

yes it would make finding such and such dragon a little easier

but the Bright Pink was discontinued right before I joined and I missed out

on that beautiful sprite and it pains me every day, silly I know but I so wish I would have joined just a few days earlier sad.gif

when the frills went away we could only have 4 eggs at that time and I missed getting that 6th one

and now that my goals have grown to 20 CB of each breed, I see those lone 5 and miss them (I was one who loved the frill and the bright pink). I even joined because of the BP, which is one of the reasons it saddens me so that I missed them sad.gif

Edited by Merenwen

This doesn't help with rares, but if you aren't sure which egg a description belongs to you can copy the address, paste it into a new tab, change the get to view, and see what it is.

Edited by Tehya Faye

The relevant discussion was here:

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=160838

The artist is in favor of it and it does look promising.

be still my heart, little tings give me joy and this is making my eyes water with joy LOL

This is why I support migration and day/night changes instead, like the nebulas being extremely rare during the daytime and only being uncommon during the night, harvests being rare at certain times of the year, and so on. Complete disappearance doesn't make sense to me

this is a pretty good idea....I think I could support this....

I dislike the day/night ones, because not everybody is in the same timezone and that will make certain dragons incredibly hard for people to get simply because they're not in the right timezone. If we MUST have a cycle, I'd rather it be based on month or time of year or something rather than day/night.

Sorry, I can't see those 'pros'. Only disadvantages. A pointless, destructive suggestion. It's also very discouraging to new players to join the game since they'd be so discriminated(via being unable to collect like the old players). NO.

TWO retired breeds are already TOO MUCH.

The only thing to lower the problem of certain breeds being undesired caveblockers would be making the ratio of each species equal, besides the rares. Or that suggestion of 'CBs available in one season a year' - it makes much more sense than retiring and keeping the game loosing its crucial elements - dragon breeds and their variety. It's cool there are more and more breeds to catch/breed and that new players can obtain each breed (besides the two already retired), even if not CB(holidays&hybrids&some alts).

As for memorizing a lot of descriptions - ~Removed~ Most of descriptions have specific words used, pick the most distinctive part of the description, e.g. 'this egg feels moist' as 'moist', the description, which I can't even remember as 'uneasy' etc.. It's not that hard if you play for a few months. I had problems in the beginning, but I still hate I can't obtain 2 breeds just because I found out about the game too late, I'd hate even more if there was a habit that the game retires breeds on regular baisis, I'd porbably be deprived of collecting a lot of breeds already just because I found out in 2013 not in the beginning.

Also don't try to make people play this game constantly without breaks - poeple usually have LIFE, E.g. how would you feel if you had to be in hospital for months or longer and missed a few breeds just because you were sick?? Or because you had crucial exams and you had to prepare for entire year? Would you give up your future for an online game just because its important parts are getting removed constantly? I seiously doubt it. You'd rather cursed the game and left it.

Summing up: this retiring idea is of a destructive nature and has no valid reason to be considered. 'too many descriptions to memorize'(laziness) or 'there are unpopular caveblocking breeds'(not wanting challenge) 'missclicks'(too much haste and clumsiness) are not reasons for removing breeds. Same as demanding people to give up their lives for the game just because you can.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I do not like this idea at all.

I liked the Frills. I hate that they are no longer available.

I liked the old pinks and I miss them.

Retiring breeds is genocide - like making them go extinct and neutering any that remain. booo hissss

I dislike the day/night ones, because not everybody is in the same timezone and that will make certain dragons incredibly hard for people to get simply because they're not in the right timezone. If we MUST have a cycle, I'd rather it be based on month or time of year or something rather than day/night.

I would like day/night so long as they could still be found at all times, but more common in one than the other. Still might make it a bit harder for some, but the AP would probably still be full with the right dragons.

(For one - no. Please no more retired breeds. The holidays/prizes are sufficient for limited breeds.)

I don't see why people are talking about "more variation to the trading scene/values" or "more variation to what is a cave blocker" as pros -- or in fact, not already the case.

On blockers -

The dragons which I remember as the worst blockers a year ago (iirc mints, canopies, and all pygmy breeds except seawyrm) are now much harder to find and worth more in trades. The dragons which I remember as the worst blockers six months ago (iirc balloons, teimarrs, purple dorsals) aren't the same ones as are super-common right now. Lately? I haven't been hunting much lately due to breeding projects, but I think blacktips, harvests and waverunners are at least close. The change between what is a blocker just changes so slowly it is hard to notice.

On trade values -

The trade value of seasonals rockets upwards at the end of the season for a few weeks until a few weeks into the new season. CB daydreams traded for CB metals right after soulpeaces were released. Trade values of prizes are all over the map - between people wanting CB metals for 4th/5th gens to people handing out 3rd gens for free "because they have no trade value." Trade values also depend on your trading partner. Some players value certain breeds or lineages more or less than average.

On 2nd gens from retired breeds -

I believe they are worth something. Maybe not a lot, probably no CB metals or anything wink.gif , but I have always found that breeding my CB bright pink (by the way, love the frills and bright pinks, totally support either/both coming back!) is in demand and trades well/is received as a gift gratefully. Also, I try to trade for 2nd gens from retired breeds somewhat frequently.

On top of all of this variation, why do we need the variation caused by making some breeds limited or extinct? I don't think these points are pros at all.

Was going to say no myself, but after reading through the thread, I actually like the idea of a rotation, or at least, certain periods of time where certain CBs appear more frequently. Though I'd prefer this to be implanted in dragons that have descriptions that mention about their breeding. Pretty sure none of them mention a certain time (as in day/week/month/year) they "traditionally" breed on, but it'd be nice to incorporate this somehow. Perhaps to breeds like Ridgewings/Dorsals, the more uncommon egg becomes slightly more common, but not as common or more common than the less common egg. Probably worded that poorly, but what I mean is there could be certain periods where Tan Ridgewing/Red dorsals could be a more common outcome, but Purple Ridgewing/Purple Dorsals still are more probable than their counterparts.

/shrug just an idea*. :3

And if I understood the rotation part, it'd be something similar to the Seasonal Dragons, but it'd be more like the holiday dragons where you can only get it during that time period, but the time period to get it would of course be more than 1 week? unsure.gif

ETA: idea* not ideal. xd.png

Edited by Saynna

Was going to say no myself, but after reading through the thread, I actually like the idea of a rotation, or at least, certain periods of time where certain CBs appear more frequently. Though I'd prefer this to be implanted in dragons that have descriptions that mention about their breeding. Pretty sure none of them mention a certain time (as in day/week/month/year) they "traditionally" breed on, but it'd be nice to incorporate this somehow. Perhaps to breeds like Ridgewings/Dorsals, the more uncommon egg becomes slightly more common, but not as common or more common than the less common egg. Probably worded that poorly, but what I mean is there could be certain periods where Tan Ridgewing/Red dorsals could be a more common outcome, but Purple Ridgewing/Purple Dorsals still are more probable than their counterparts.

/shrug just an idea*. :3

And if I understood the rotation part, it'd be something similar to the Seasonal Dragons, but it'd be more like the holiday dragons where you can only get it during that time period, but the time period to get it would of course be more than 1 week? unsure.gif

ETA: idea* not ideal. xd.png

The rotation idea is in another thread. This one deals with *retirement*, so we'd have dozens of breeds that are just like Frills and Bright Pinks.

C4.

The rotation idea is in another thread. This one deals with *retirement*, so we'd have dozens of breeds that are just like Frills and Bright Pinks.

C4.

That post you're quoting was posted before Sock bumped up the other thread by nearly 10 minutes (10 minutes from my original post; 9 minutes off edited post if you want to get technical) if you pay attention to the time both posts were made. And as I said,

"[...]but after reading through the thread, I actually like the idea of a rotation, or at least, certain periods of time where certain CBs appear more frequently."

There was one post here that mentioned it as a sort of compromise, so I just gave my part of opinion towards it. A few other posts made here were similar to that post too, I believe.

But yeah, on-topic, I'm against retirement of dragons if that wasn't understood. :3 I just liked the proposed compromise better is all. smile.gif

That post you're quoting was posted before Sock bumped up the other thread by nearly 10 minutes (10 minutes from my original post; 9 minutes off edited post if you want to get technical) if you pay attention to the time both posts were made.

And the thread has existed for quite a while now and was the reason why anyone was mentioning migration; they were referring to that thread :P

C4 was saying that discussion about it should probably be in that thread, instead.

I do agree, though, I much prefer an idea like that to this one, as a sort of compromise.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

And that thread was dormant for awhile now. More than it was active by quite a bit. Newer members like me who walk into threads like this and see other members discussing other ideas might or might not comment on it regardless if the idea was already made as a thread. I didn't actually notice they were referencing to that thread (I don't believe all were, but most did so I wasn't the only one). I focused more on what was being preferred, not referenced and thinking about it myself. Perhaps my mistake here was giving it a more in-depth detail. I probably would have been better off just saying, "I prefer rotating/increased quantities of CBs during certain time periods as well over retiring breeds". I understood that C4 thought I should have posted there instead, but I'm just saying how was I suppose to know that thread existed? Especially now since I didn't even perceive them referring to it until this point.

TLDR; I was just explaining myself as I am now.