Mondat

More retired/limited breeds

You forgot:

CONS:

[-]The Dragon Cave user base would rise up in an angry mob with torches and pitchforks, and start burning effigies.

In all seriousness though, I'm a major packrat. I'm annoyed enough that there's a bunch of holiday dragons that I missed, that I'll probably never have the chance to get. Seeing things that other people have that I won't be able to earn for myself is a major turn off for me. If it's difficult, like getting the Guardian of Nature, fine. It'll take a lot of time, but I know I'll eventually get one. But seeing stuff that I can't ever get no matter what, that just sucks.

Now, excuse me while I go sharpen my pitchfork. I've got pitchforking to do.

*clang clang clang*

*sings off-key while making pitchforks* *gestures to the pile* "Feel free to take one!"

Actually, you can get every single holiday sprite. Granted, they'll be 2nd gens or higher instead of CBs, but you can get the sprites.

In fact, the only two sprites you can't get at all anymore (except for HMs) are Frills and Bright Pinks. Everything else you can at least breed for. And Frills may be coming back.

Cheers!

C4.

*clang clang clang*

*sings off-key while making pitchforks* *gestures to the pile* "Feel free to take one!"

Actually, you can get every single holiday sprite. Granted, they'll be 2nd gens or higher instead of CBs, but you can get the sprites.

In fact, the only two sprites you can't get at all anymore (except for HMs) are Frills and Bright Pinks. Everything else you can at least breed for. And Frills may be coming back.

Cheers!

C4.

May I have a pitchfork, too? tongue.gif

Honestly, with the Holiday dragons... While CBs are nice, I am happy if I can catch the ones I missed at all.

I also will add I am EXCITED by the possibility of Frills making a comeback.

Edited by Silverswift

Limited dragon breeds won't always make people want to keep playing in order to get CB breeds. If anything, it might make them want to play less. They'd be there for releases and then that's it. Or they may stop playing completely due to the stress of trying to catch everything in the fear that it may be retired. I know I wouldn't want to play a game that deliberately made me feel stressed.

This. As it is I'm not looking forward to trying to catch holiday dragons, and I probably won't be competing in the scramble to catch new-release dragons.

Additionally, as a new member of the Dragon Cave community, I gotta say retired breeds and missed holidays are a bit off-putting to a newbie. Dragon Cave at present has blessedly few of the former (Old Pink and Frill), and at least you can still obtain previous-release holiday breeds through breeding (even though CBs are forever out of reach). I can deal with trophies and one or two dragons I'll never be able to get because I'm new, but a boat-load of retired breeds that I'd never be able to get would feel like being punished for being new, and that's not a good way to attract new players.

I don't care about lineages or generation number or cave born status. I just want the holiday dragons.

As an aside, a kind soul just PMed me, offering to breed the holiday dragons that I had missed too. I love the Dragon Cave community.

Edit: and if Frills do come back, I'd be happy to breed some for the people who don't have any. People have been generous with me, and I wanna be generous back!

Edited by Fortis

Yeahhhh, I'm a bit of a completion nut and I would absolutely hate if this was implemented. For one thing, I know it's already hard for newbies now to get some of the older holidays and impossible to get CB ones. It's tough. I don't think this would help the game at all.

From the OP, it sounds like it was intended that retired breeds would still breed their own kind? (The "New players will not be able to get these breeds as caveborns" keyword caveborns") so I think the discussion on them not being available at all is a little off. ;3

I really prefer suggestions like migration, more biomes, etc. to solve the problems this seems to be targeting. Aside from what has already been said, as has been brought up in many topics, lineages are a huge part of this game for people and getting rid of so many dragons as caveborns would really limit that.

I would also like to say that the ONLY way I would be even slightly okay with more retired breeds is if adults and frozens were tradeable...and judging from past suggestion threads on that idea, that would open up WAY TOO MANY other issues. It would completely change how the game is played, and I don't think it would change for the better. :\ But at least on other pet sites with limiteds and retireds, you CAN still trade to get the adults. They're just priced ridiculously high.

For my opinion though, it's the first post after the op and I'm sticking to it.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

From the OP, it sounds like it was intended that retired breeds would still breed their own kind? (The "New players will not be able to get these breeds as caveborns" keyword caveborns") so I think the discussion on them not being available at all is a little off. ;3

I thought that's what they were implying too, but they used the word "retired," so it could go either way. If the OP did intend to mean that they could still breed, but just be retired from the cave, I don't understand the point of retiring them at all. As you note, it would cut down on lineage possibilities and deny newer/returning players from a chance at a CB breed simply because they missed out.

I also prefer the addition of biomes or implementation of migration to getting rid of caveborn species.

New people posting in the thread without past holidays are welcome to PM me about breeding. I still have some that haven't been claimed.

Yeah, too many negatives to this. It's one thing to introduce breed-only dragons, but it's another to arbitrarily change previously catchable dragons to breed-only. This would ruin ongoing lineage projects, frustrate avid players, and confuse the heck out of casual players (who might not notice the discontinuation announcements and sit around searching the biomes for their favorite dragon in vain.)

I also doubt that it would add any excitement to the trading game. It would slightly increase the value of 2nd-gens from that breed, but would equally decrease the value of higher-gens from that breed (especially staircases, which newer players won't be able to continue.) It would be a wash trade-wise.

I don't agree with this.

I am an old player, and even for me it's still almost impossible to get certain dragons, so I don't see why should we retire dragons to make them more valuable and to cause a crazy demand for certain species. This already exists with not retired dragons and I don't think we need more of it. It takes all the fun for many of the DC players here.

Besides, many people deny lineages with Old Pinks and Frills because they cannot continue them. It makes the game restricted to an small elite group of players and it's not fair.

Gonna have to go with no.

I've never been a fan of giving older users hard advantages over newer users. By this I mean, making it impossible to get CBs. I would be slightly more receptive of something along the lines of CB ones being rarer(this is what I would call a "soft advantage" older users had an easier time, but newer users still can get them sometimes, but it's just a term I made up lol), but at the same time, I can't really fathom a true gameplay point to it other than just shifting the trading economy around every now and then?

I'd rather just make them seasonal ratio changes or something like that.

Edited by lindsy95

Absolutely NO! Worst idea I've ever seen suggested. Falls right up there with all the ideas to make rares more available. That is NOT how the game works.. rares are rare for a reason and retiring breeds is about as stupid as wanting to be punched in the face.

No.

I enjoy DC as a slow-paced "take your time" game on a whole, retiring regular breeds on a regular basis is going to turn that into "grab this NOW or lose it forever" clicking war, which I'm having very enough of them in holidays.

An absolute NO to more retired breeds. If anything I want frills and bright pinks back.

But, I wouldn't mind more holiday dragons. I always hated the long wait between Valentine's day and Halloween.

Some kind of summertime holiday dragon would be really cool. Although, I have no idea what it would be.

The only summer holidays I can think of are national holidays like the 4th of July and I already know those wouldn't work.

Maybe some kind of summer solstice thing?

An absolute NO to more retired breeds. If anything I want frills and bright pinks back.

But, I wouldn't mind more holiday dragons. I always hated the long wait between Valentine's day and Halloween.

Some kind of summertime holiday dragon would be really cool. Although, I have no idea what it would be.

The only summer holidays I can think of are national holidays like the 4th of July and I already know those wouldn't work.

Maybe some kind of summer solstice thing?

A bit Off topic maybe, but a cool idea... maybe desrves its own suggestion thread, kitsune?

Rather than retiring caveborn breeds, how about this as an alternative.

Someone suggested having 'breeding seasons' for wild dragons that are laying eggs. This makes perfect sense biologically, there's very few creatures that are always in heat(humans being one of those dry.gif but I digress)

So decrease the rarity of dragons for various parts of the year. Not completely gone from the cave, but not as easy to find. And during the part of the year they do breed, let them be caveblockers.

Rare dragons could be the kind that are always in heat, because the odds of them laying eggs is greatly reduced compared to, say, Sunstones. So they never run the risk of becoming more rare beyond the usual.

Or how about this for a suggestion, various times of the year, a unique biome opens up that has specific types of dragons in them depending on times of the year. These dragons are less common in the rest of the biomes. Like if there's some sort of breeding migration for some species.

I dunno, that might make things interesting. Someone else could probably formulate a better idea from this though.

TJ has an incentive to do things that will keep people wanting to play and continue playing via donations. Making things rare or limited will only decrease voluntary donations as he has said it won't ever be a site incentivized via perks for money. I don't see people increasing donations so they can have less things.

Just something else To consider in addition to the general people strongly disliking this idea.

Edited by natayah

*sharpens pitchfork*

*also chainsaw. No really - I own one...*

NO WAY, please and thank you. The number of ruined lineages, to mention but one problem.

What POSSIBLE good reason could there be for this ?

No. No for the simple reason of the DRAMA it would create. I saw the frills go. If I were a spriter, and it was decided my breed was unpopular and should be retired, I'd be really quite upset. I also don't think it is fair on new users at all. I love DC for the fact that most things are avaliable to everyone - the only 'perks' i can think of are Spriter's Alts, which are fair enough.

I also hoard Water Walkers, a breed that's never been hugely popular. I would be very distressed to see them or other commons discontinued for the simple crime of being a common, more simple (but still beautiful) sprite.

I'm going to have to say that this suggestion is one of the absolute worst I've ever seen, in terms of how it would impact my enjoyment of the game. If this were to happen, I can safely say that the odds of my returning to the game would dramatically drop.

What reason do I have to even bother coming to DC if you take away my ability to potentially get any dragon I want at any time (outside of a few small exceptions)? I wouldn't really have a reason to bother checking back very often, if at all. I could just as easily go to many other games that do the same thing with the locking people out of ever getting a creature because they weren't there for the release. And I'm sure I can find ones that won't have my creature die forever if I don't get it enough clicks the right amount of time. So, less pressure to put effort into my creatures, same thing with the whole "things I'll never be able to get because I wasn't there at the start", etc. DC ceases to have anything unique or interesting to offer to me.

And I have far more uses of my time than bothering to visit a site or forums for a site that has ceased to have anything that I could bother caring about. As it is my time for DC and whatnot has dramatically decreased these days. Take away my ability to get dragons CB any time (obviously provided I can find them but if they're not there then that becomes 0% chances to get them), then that gives me little to no reason to even bother coming back at all. (I suppose I would, purely out of spite to those who might want names I have, but I don't think 'coming back purely to keep listed as active to retain names' isn't the kind of traffic DC prefers)

Aside from that, the trading market is already a hassle because of how lineages dominate it. Something like this would skew that even further. It would give those who have CB's far, far more of an advantage because not only would they be the only source of dragons to continue lineages, they would be the only chance somebody who missed out on a dragon when it was in the cave would have to possibly get it. You would be inflating the value of CB dragons, by limiting them.

Even if you take the lineage factor out since users give that value, the game itself would be placing value on CB by limiting it. Generally speaking, things that are of no value at all are not things that tend to be limited in games. Therefore the simple act of limiting or retiring them from being in the cave itself you are having the game assign value to them. I am 100% dead set against anything that causes the game itself to place value on any specific kind of a lineage or lack of lineage on a dragon.

This suggestion would just destroy my enjoyment of the game, turning DC into a very different type of game. The sort of game that I don't actually bother to play because I don't enjoy them.

I don't agree with all of the problems you think there are, nor do I agree that this will solve them--or at least it won't solve them without introducing just as many problems if not more or worse ones.

There are other means to "fix" the "problems" that you see than to completely change the nature of the game into a very different sort of game.

I would prefer a circulation or rotation. That would be a compromise. That way, dragon breeds don't get stale and new players can collect all breeds still if they wait long enough.

No support, sorry. I like DC because TJ doesn't make a habit of retiring dragons. I'm pissed because I'll never get a bright pink. But I don't riot over it. If the protests were bad last time, think of how many more users would be here, pissed, and protesting.

No, thank you. I'm not in favor of retiring more breeds and/or changing certain dragons to breed-only and/or releasing limited dragons in the Cave (Holidays excluded of course).

I'd be more open to migration/circulation/rotation, personally (or just keeping the Cave as it is).

I wouldn't mind breeding "seasons" or something similar, but HECK no to retiring breeds!