Syrup

You are overburdened--would you like to exchange?

Please at least read the tl;dr portion of the mod post before posting.

You are overburdened and decide not to stress yourself by taking this egg

Is the last thing we want to see if we spot our favorite dragon--or a nice shiny. So I have a possible solution.

What if, when you got the accursed message, something also said

However, you might have an egg you are willing to leave for this one which links to a page that lets you abandon an egg and get the one you just grabbed.

And yes, I am aware that the egg limits are there for a reason, and I agree that we shouldn't entirely ignore them for they make the game more interesting. So, this exchange option should have a cooldown based upon your trophy level.

No Trophy: 1 week cooldown

Bronze: 2 week cooldown

Silver: 3 week cooldown

Gold: 4 week cooldown

Because higher trophies have higher egg limits, so they should have to wait longer because they have more space anyway.

Everyone is entitled to their say. Please respect that and debate the topic rather than attacking other users. Users not liking a suggestion is not an attack against the OP, but it can be rather intimidating when a topic receives nothing but mostly replies. So if what you want to say has already been beaten into the ground, perhaps consider waiting to reply at another time and perhaps let the topic sink into inactivity if necessary.
Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Sorry, I don't really support this. If you're going to hunt, make sure you have an empty space. Don't look for new eggs when you're locked. Pretty simple.

We don't need an increase in the number of people hunting at any given time.

Edited by Tehya Faye

There was a thread just like this that was recently locked, and there was very little support for that one as well, I'm sorry to say. The limits are there for a reason, and I've been perfectly willing to wait a day or two in order to stop being locked. The best solution for this would be, as said, to not hunt while locked.

Sorry, but no support.

There was a thread almost exactly like this one that got shot down not too long ago.

While I am usually wishing I had this option, I don't support actually implementing it. If you're at your limit, that gives somebody else the opportunity to grab the egg you're unable to catch. Also, you can usually find the same kind of egg again, eventually. Even cb metallics show up more than once in a lifetime, and if you're locked you've made the decision to be unable to catch more eggs.

So, yeah. Even though I like the idea, it's a no from me smile.gif

Edited by Fiarlie

No support from me either. If you have no space - don't hunt. It's as easy as that.

I was actually going to re-open the other thread, I just haven't been able to focus to say what I need to before re-opening. A think a new thread with a new start is a good idea, but I'd like to type out a few things first. So I am going to temporarily close this thread until I can do so. I'll have this back up by Saturday night.

I apologize for the wait!

Alright, I would like to go over a few things here:

Many, many people have the same ideas. As these are suggestions for DC and not things that are displaying your own original talent, we try to work off the basis that, unlike places like Original Works and the Roleplay section, these threads don't belong to any one person. These threads should be a grounds for discusssion and a collaborative work. One person should not have the grounds to close the thread down completely, but when you are an OP, you do have a degree of responsibility with the thread. Especially in suggestions where a lot of ideas may get thrown around, the OP is the only person (unless mods step in) who can keep the very first post updated.

Please do not take it as an attack if your suggestion is not popular. Although we know keep around threads that TJ closes, we didn't always and it is quite possible that your suggestion is something we have discussed (and likely shot down) in the past. So if the discussion is to move forward, it is in your best interest to keep the first post updated. Things to keep updated are: pros, cons, and possible solutions or alterations to the idea. When threads get lots of attention, the less people are likely to read through it all, so if you keep an updated first post, it will help keep everyone in the loop.

Please note that you do not have to agree with everything you add to the first post. But if you add a list of ideas, limits, solutions, etc. that people have proposed, users can easily see what kind of variations there are on the idea and if they think any are workable or suited for the site or not.

I will also repeat from the previous thread: it is perfectly acceptable if a user simply wants to throw in their support or not to a thread. You are not required to expand on why you do or do not like the idea, although it is nice sometimes. Users are also not required to offer alternative suggestions if they disagree with an idea; they may not have any alternative suggestions to give or they may just plain not like or want an idea so providing an alternative suggestion wouldn't help them or they just may not have the energy, time, or motivation, and that is okay.

Now, that being said, it can be very intimidating when a thread gets a lot of negative responses, especially very quickly, even if it is not meant personally. If you are saying the same thing that has already been said time and time again, please think about whether you really need to throw in your opinion or if perhaps it might be best to chime in at another time or even just let the thread begin to gather dust, at least until another time.

Finally, not everyone is going to like or not like an idea. This is not a personal attack on other's opinions. If a user is disrespecting you or other users, please send off a report to moderators so that we can take care of it. There is a report button in the upper right of every post, up near where the quote button is. If you have a problem with another user, please either PM them and work it out in private or leave it to the moderators. If tensions get high, please feel free to take a small break, just to breathe and calm down. Go look at a thread you enjoy in another section or browse another site or play outside for a bit. Anything so that you come back with a cool head. Hopefully by then, if need be, a moderator has stepped in or the situation has worked itself out. Tbh, I love it when I get reports and come in to see that users have calmed down and gotten back on track. I do not love getting the reports, but I love when users can come together and work together. You guys make me proud, so I happily re-open this thread in good faith of everyone were. :3

(As a post script note, however, I would like to say that I do not think this idea is going to work without some kind of limits, so for supporters of the idea who would like to make it workable to be considered for cave, that is something to think about and work on.)

tl;dr: Everyone is entitled to their say. Please respect that and debate the topic rather than attacking other users. Users not liking a suggestion is not an attack against the OP, but it can be rather intimidating when a topic receives nothing but mostly replies. So if what you want to say has already been beaten into the ground, perhaps consider waiting to reply at another time and perhaps let the topic sink into inactivity if necessary.

No, absolutely not. I do not want to constantly click on an egg just to know that some Let's please not start off a newly opened thread by cursing/calling users names, even if you don't name anyone specifically. had clicked it first, took their sweet time exchanging the egg, and so the person coming in second never got to claim it. Also this is circumventing the limits because temporarily you get to have an extra egg. No.

Could this thread be added on to that one recently locked thread and the Sock note (at least a tl;dr version) be in the first post?

---

I've already said my opinion in the other thread, but this idea circumvents limits in more ways than one. You're not meant to be hunting when locked; that's the point of being locked. It's to say "ok, you've had your turn, let others hunt now". If you really don't want a certain egg, wait 5 hours and then abandon it and go hunting again then. As TJ stated before, it might be best to act like you have "n-1" egg slots instead of your actual total limit, which allows for some breathing room if you happen to be "full" and then spot something you really want.

Honestly I wouldn't mind this. Not at all. Especially with the direction DC is heading already, and how it's changed (as well as the ways in which it hasn't changed after all these years), I think something like this would be quite useful.

Full support!

This is just another suggestion that attempts to circumvent limits. The limits are in place for a reason, and having a loophole like this rather nullifies the point of limits in the first place.

No, I strongly disagree with this idea, regardless of limits.

This is trying to circumvent the scroll limits, and they are there for a reason.

One of the reasons I have gotten the occasional CB Gold egg is because I happened to be there at times when others weren't. If anyone, even when locked, could hunt, then I likely would not have gotten two of my CB Golds. I traded for every single other CB Gold I have.

This also eliminates the possibility of miss-clicks: you can lock yourself with throw-a-way eggs from the AP, and when you miss-click and it asks you "are you sure?" you just say nope.

It also allows users to troll for Red Dorsals and Tan Ridgewings. They lock themselves with an egg from the AP, then when they grab a Dorsal or Ridgewing, they'll be able to check if its a tan or red before accepting / not accepting the switch.

If you want to hunt, then its easy: Leave one spot open.

So, the way I see it:

Pros:

- Allows almost everyone to hunt all of the time

Cons:

- Circumvents scroll limits

- Keeps slower users from having any shot at CB Metals / rare eggs as faster users troll the mostly-empty biomes while they are locked

- Allows people to avoid miss-clicks, particularly at release times (and the 5 hour wait to abandon that such misses force)

- Allows users to troll for specific eggs which share a description

C4.

Could this thread be added on to that one recently locked thread and the Sock note (at least a tl;dr version) be in the first post?

Well considering how toxic and mutiliated the "recently locked" thread had became, I think Sock is right for not merging them and instead keeping this one open.

That said, I am still dead against this. Users are responsible for managing their slots, stop hunting if you are locked, and leave one or more slots open when you want to, this seriously isn't hard at all.

Tehya Faye, I'm gonna quote your post from the other thread, because you explained what I was thinking perfectly.

The problem I have with your suggestion is that some people would feel more obligated to hunt constantly because they could totally get a CB Gold if they keep looking instead of having fun on another site. The limits as they are now work because they require a sacrifice if you want to try to get something better. It's a gamble on whether you'll be able to fill that new slot up with something more special than what you had before. If it stops being a gamble the game will continuously reward players who have more time to devote to this site, and this hurts both groups. Those who have little time end up with more competition during that short timeframe, and they may leave this site in frustration because they can't get what they want. Those who can devote multiple hours per day on Dragon Cave find themselves feeling obligated to "trade up", hunting for CB Metals until they get burned out and go on an indefinite hiatus.

That said, I am against this idea for all the reasons above. However, if this were ever to be implemented, I would prefer having the long cooldowns. It would help add a balance.

..There was another point I wanted to make, but I can't think of it at the moment. |D

No, I strongly disagree with this idea, regardless of limits.

This is trying to circumvent the scroll limits, and they are there for a reason.

One of the reasons I have gotten the occasional CB Gold egg is because I happened to be there at times when others weren't. If anyone, even when locked, could hunt, then I likely would not have gotten two of my CB Golds. I traded for every single other CB Gold I have.

This also eliminates the possibility of miss-clicks: you can lock yourself with throw-a-way eggs from the AP, and when you miss-click and it asks you "are you sure?" you just say nope.

It also allows users to troll for Red Dorsals and Tan Ridgewings. They lock themselves with an egg from the AP, then when they grab a Dorsal or Ridgewing, they'll be able to check if its a tan or red before accepting / not accepting the switch.

If you want to hunt, then its easy: Leave one spot open.

So, the way I see it:

Pros:

- Allows almost everyone to hunt all of the time

Cons:

- Circumvents scroll limits

- Keeps slower users from having any shot at CB Metals / rare eggs as faster users troll the mostly-empty biomes while they are locked

- Allows people to avoid miss-clicks, particularly at release times (and the 5 hour wait to abandon that such misses force)

- Allows users to troll for specific eggs which share a description

C4.

Personally, I think your one "pro" is actually a "con". Everyone always being able to hunt means more competition for each egg even when those who are scroll locked are "supposed" to be not hunting.

In my opinion, if you want to hunt for another egg, drop one you have and go at it. If you want to keep your eggs-don't hunt. Why should one have the option to drop an egg only after finding something else they would like? Circumvents the limits/rules of the game. No way I would approve this.

Actually I think that this idea would be better if you can use it only during holiday breeding time. (3 weeks per year)

I know it could be stressful to find the egg that you desidered when you're scroll locked, but afterall it's a bit your fault that you had looking for it knowing you're locked. When you hunt in cave in a non-holiday period you have to be prepared since you have a lot of time, so you can keep a free slot to find what you really need.

It's more complicated during holiday time because you fear to not finding anything nice so you take eggs with a lineage that barely satisfied you in order to have at least some holiday dragons. You' ve just a week to find all the 2nd gens that you need and every year it becomes more dificult because CBs are older and older and people who owns them could even not play anymore. That's why there are so few Hollies afterall..

When you're scroll-locked during holiday breeding periods you haven't much else to do. You're pining because you're thinking: "I have 7 x 2nd gen ribbon dancer x commons... I would like to looking for a 2nd gen from spriter's ALT but my chances are so low... What I'll do if I abandon one of my 2nd gen ribbon dancer x common and I won't find anything else? I would waste it!"

With this method you could still hunt in AP's page, looking for something that you like more of those eggs that you already have without the fear to finish the breeding period without eggs. It gives something to do for those who scroll-locked themself during the first day of holiday breeding and the AP will always be full of eggs because with this method you won't have an extra slot, but you will jus swap 2 eggs.

Edited by Naruhina_94

No from me. If you really want to hunt for your favorite dragon or some shiny thing, pretend you have fewer eggs than you really do. Then you won't have to worry about accidentally being locked when the perfect egg comes along. Or wait until your scroll is totally free.

What if two people click the egg and both want it, does it go to the one who clicked first, or the one who chose to use their exchange? Also, what if both users clicked at the same time and chose to use their exchanges to get the egg, what happens then? Does it disappear completely? Does it split in half? Seriously though, it's important to consider how this feature affects other users aside from the magical eighth slot.

Lastly, if this were implemented, I'd want an equal cooldown for everyone because it seems like newer users (those with no trophy) would be more likely to accidentally abuse the feature because of the sheer amount of dragons to collect.

Oh, I remember what I was going to say. I'm not sure if this has been brought up already, but alongside cooldowns I think the only way this could work would be to have the egg still unclaimed as you look for what to swap it with. While you're doing this, if someone else wants the same egg and is unlocked, they should be able to click and claim the egg immediately. Does that make sense?

(Jazeki reminded me with her post; this would address that, I suppose)

Another point from Jazeki's post, if multiple users are trying to swap for the egg at the same time, the one who finishes first should get it, I imagine. Nothing would happen to the "loser's" chosen swap egg.

Edited by ParticleSoup

Yeah, as the other thread was closed to allow people time to cool down, I'd prefer a new start with this thread. I will link my post in the OP in just a second, though. ^^

~

I can't remember if I actually got to bring this up in the other thread or not, but I was thinking the only way I would support this is if:

-There's a limit/cooldown to how often users can do this (at least only once a month, maybe once every three months?)

-You can't choose which egg will be abandoned for your new one

(Now that I say that, I do think I suggested this for limits.) The problem I had with that last one is that I know I am not alone in "hunting" when I'm locked just to see if I'm quick enough to grab eggs, but I don't actually want to grab the egg. So the ability to use this function would either need to be a BSA or an option in account settings and a BSA probably makes more sense.

Other limits that were proposed:

-As Particle just brought up: having it so that you can only switch if someone hasn't grabbed the egg before you (I can see this causing a little frustration if you've abandoned an egg a second too late and don't get the new egg, which leads me back to thinking this would be better overall as a BSA)

-Only being able to do this with eggs that have been sitting x amount of time in cave without being grabbed (perhaps just a minute? or as much as five?)

~

However, overall, I have my own reservations on this and I would really prefer this not be added. I argued the point about hunting and activity in the last thread and I still think it is a valid concern. With good hunters now never locked, people who rely on slower traffic times and luck have just gotten the short end of the stick and their chances are likely slashed down a bit for catching any good eggs themselves. As well, I agree the limits are there for a reason and this, at least without any restrictions on it, completely circumvents that. It is not a big deal to be unlocked if you want to go hunting. I know it's hard to be locked and see an egg you really wanted, but give it some time and you'll forget or just not care as much. If you keep hunting when you're open, hopefully you'll get another chance. :3

Oh, I remember what I was going to say. I'm not sure if this has been brought up already, but alongside cooldowns I think the only way this could work would be to have the egg still unclaimed as you look for what to swap it with. While you're doing this, if someone else wants the same egg and is unlocked, they should be able to click and claim the egg immediately. Does that make sense?

(Jazeki reminded me with her post; this would address that, I suppose)

Another point from Jazeki's post, if multiple users are trying to swap for the egg at the same time, the one who finishes first should get it, I imagine. Nothing would happen to the "loser's" chosen swap egg.

I support both of these amendments/additions/solutions (or whatever we want to call them) to the concerns that I brought up. While I still think that the whole suggestion is unfair, I think that these are viable and fair ways to address the concerns that I brought up.

I also support Sock's suggestions of not being able to choose what you abandon/ having a limit for how often you can use this. I could see this as a BSA.

Edited by Jazeki

I'd still rather not see any eggswap feature on DC, but if it has to be, these two limits might help to keep it from being overpowered.

However, I'm very much in doubt about holidays - because the competition only gets worse if there are more people hunting stuff. However, if the delayed grabbing (with a swap) is in effect, it won't work for holiday eggs anyway as they're gone so fast that nobody really can swap an egg for a holiday one and expect to win out.

The reason I wanted them merged was mostly because of some of the other alternative ideas brought up in the thread. So long as those make it to the OP, at least (and the whole thread is linked in general), I think it will be ok. c:

So I'll repeat my philosophy on these sorts of things:

My view of the current situation in terms of egg limits, etc. is that it's pretty fair. That is, the number of eggs you can have right now isn't too low or anything. Thus, if you want to do something that essentially adds more egg slots, you can do one of two things.

First, you can try to make the argument that the current situation isn't enough (I'm willing to listen, but good luck). e.g. somehow show that the effective larger egg growth rate is a net positive for everyone, doesn't significantly reduce the difficulty of the game.

Alternatively, you can bake in some sort of tradeoff to maintain the balance. The example I've used of this in the past is sacrificing an egg slot in order to be able to exchange an egg--by "reserving" one of your slots for a CB egg, you're gaining the convenience of not being locked at the cost of not having as much stuff. It's actually probably not quite balanced, but it illustrates the point.

This current thread does neither of those. It has limitations on how it's used, but it still is a net addition onto things--there's no drawback to always using it when it's available.