TehUltimateMage

Do you play any musical instruments?

Been playing the Flute for about four years now----I picked it up due to my sister, but ended up loving it! I'm currently participating in the Marching Band Camp. It's very exhausting, going from 8AM to 5PM with TONS of physical activity, but this is my second year of Marching and it's always the highlight of my day, no matter how hard it is!

Trying to learn the piano right now~ 

I would love to learn violin though...

On 7/26/2017 at 1:13 AM, Katharos Seraph said:

Been playing the Flute for about four years now----I picked it up due to my sister, but ended up loving it! I'm currently participating in the Marching Band Camp. It's very exhausting, going from 8AM to 5PM with TONS of physical activity, but this is my second year of Marching and it's always the highlight of my day, no matter how hard it is!

I also play the flute, picking it up again after about 22 years.  I played all through school and remember the long days of marching camp.  It is a great deal of work, but very rewarding.  I recently noticed that the friends I keep in contact with from high school are the people from band.  You form bonds through a love of music that lasts a lifetime. 
I'm currently playing in a community band and looking for a winter program as this one only runs in the summer.  I also play occasionally during church and taize services every couple of months. 

I've played trumpet for about 7 years now, and cello for about 10 years now. I'll be going to college to become a music education major, and I'm so excited. I've loved music since I was a kid, and it's something I really enjoy doing. I'll have to learn how to play every instrument though as a music teacher, so I'm a little nervous about that.

@TehUltimateMage

That's just silly, clarinet can make some mean tunes... and I don't believe the length of the fingers is much indication of one's piano prowess. I've seen a flute player with hands that looked too big for the flute, but that never stopped him! (I've also heard about a button accordion player with "sausage fingers" who was the local virtuoso). I can make up a thing against any instrument. Recorder is for kids, clarinet is just a glorified recorder, piano is too monochrome, drums are thoughtless banging and if someone can't even cope with that, they take away one stick and put the person out to wave the other in front of an orchestra :D

As for me, I can play 2.5 tunes on a recorder, ~4 of 4/5ths of a tune on guitar, two short bits and a kids' song on a piano... Need I go on?.. Oh, and I can sing a bit. After people show me what it sounds like (can't read music more than "OK, this seems to be going up and we're staying constant, am I lost?") and in the safety of a loud choir. Although a recording shows that my tune of Linden Lea bears a striking resemblance to the actual alto part!

For all musicians, recommending "Effortless Mastery". I love that book.

Edited by Snowwall

I played piano for a keyboarding class for about a year, but I never got really good at it.

Does anyone here know about the instrument called "domra"? I play it and entered many competitions -- mostly 1 places for me :P

Learning to play the guitar. I hope to move up to electric eventually, if I can get over my hatred of making loud sounds.

Folk harp, clarsarch (wire harp), guitar (mostly classical), a decent bit of violin from my orchestra days, and some kantele.

I've been wanting to pick up the jouhikko (a Finnish bowed lyre) and my boyfriend and his grandpa are working on making me one:D

I've played piano/keyboards for 30 years (Yeah, I'm old, I know) and also play saxophone and cedar flutes.  I really want to learn how to play Uilleann pipes and flamenco guitar.

Hubs makes me jealous though - he can pick up just about any instrument and play it.  Our place looks like a small music store.

Yes, I used to play a mean Chord Organ and, because of my deformed right forefinger, I play guitar, but have difficulty playing chords and learned to play single note melodies, everything from Pop, folk and some classical Beethoven.

I don't really play because in the past when I've tried to learn instruments, especially piano, I've been way too impatient. I prefer singing anyway, its one of my favorite things to do.

I can play two! I played trombone from 2nd grade all the way up through freshman year of college, then later on taught myself to play the 9-hole ocarina. Trying to learn the 12-hole ocarina, but its slow going.

Edited by dark_sama

Music people! I play flute/picc and piano, and a tiny bit of guitar, and I'm currently a music education major in college. I love my music :)

I've played ukulele for about a year now. 

A few years ago I could play the flute & the 12-hole ocarina, but I haven't picked them up in awhile.

When I was a child I was playing the flute in elementary school but stopped since then.

This year I started playingthe didjeridoo, at first only out of interest in something entirely new to me, but the breathing technique helps me relax so much that continued playing it.

The only musical instrument I play as of now is the Ukulele

I want to learn how to professionally play the Piano and the Violin but am restricted cuz my right hand is inborn (imagine 1/2-1/8 of a finger from thumb-pinky)

Edited by Ether-Equinox

First instrument I ever learned to play was an Irish Whistle(tin/penny whistle).

I can play a few songs on the piano and I'm a mediocre guitar player, but I'd consider myself good for a newbie guitarist.

I've always been really good at drums; it came naturally to me and I can freestyle with just about any surfaces.

Edited by -Iceheart-

I previously mentioned how I would really like to learn the piano. Well, thanks to online tutorials I've learned to play a couple songs and am looking forward to learning more. 

Music skills: 0. I am musically dsylexic. I can't read music (multiple people tried to teach me) and I can only play an instrument by memorizing the movements. I tried several instruments in school... clarinet, violin, flute, guitar, piano... all fails. I appreciate music but can't duplicate it. But I am very skilled in visual arts... I can draw, paint, make sculpture, crafts, whatever... So it balances out.

I play piano and clarinet, though I haven't played clarinet in... 4 years now? I've taken up the penny whistle though and I'm having an absolute blast with it 😁

I absolutely love historic/ethnic instruments and I'd love to learn to play a Hurdy Gurdy one day... absolutely best sounding weird instrument ever. I also love church pipe organs, but I don't live anywhere near a church with one so I haven't gotten to learn on one yet.

I've also played with a dulcimer but I don't own one right now. I'd like to get one though. Bit expensive for a good quality one. Also like the bodhran, though finding one in the U.S is a different story.

When I was about 6 or so I wanted to learn how to play the piano. I finally started when I was 9 and have fell in love since then! I’m glad I know how to read music quite well, so I can pick up new instruments as well. I started drum lessons last year and those have been awesome too so far. :)