TehUltimateMage

Do you play any musical instruments?

I know everyone picks up a bit of music in middle school, but is there anyone who has either self-taught, pursued, or started an instrument at a young age? What's your story behind it?

I took piano lessons when I was 6, but quit because of my stubby fingers and my strict teacher. xd.png Afterwards, I took private lessons in clarinet, but no one thinks it's cool because it's an instrument you can learn in school. So I began guitar and ukulele (self-taught) because I feel they're cool instruments (but everyone keeps saying ukuleles are for kids mad.gif )

Edited by TehUltimateMage

I've played piano since I was four... I quickly rose to the highest grade of piano playing and even got a few professional gigs before I turned 16. I quit after I hit halfway between 16 and 17 due to school, family issues and other time-consuming things in my life. I've been out of practice since... and been fiddling around with my own piano on and off where I can find time.

I miss it, and hope I can find enough money to get my piano tuned again to play properly... I don't play it much now since it bothers me with my perfect pitch hearing. Much too much. sleep.gif Hopefully at college I can use one of the pianos there.

I also play clarinet, though I never went as far with it as I did with piano. I still play, and enjoyed playing it in marching band, concert and symphonic band for school. With college now though, there isn't really a place where I can play clarinet so that's staying home until I find a place where I can continue to play...

I also play a 12 hole Ocarina, which I'm also pretty sure is a Tenor. I don't play it too very often, as the sounds annoy my parents to no end, but I am self-taught and still learning smile.gif

I've been playing the guitar for about 18 months now, and I enjoy it a lot. I also learned a little piano when I was in the sixth and seventh grades, but my fingers kept getting tangled up. I prefer the guitar definitely.

I do piano. I'm pretty low levelled, but I'm also pretty young. I think my biggest issue is that I stubbornly refuse to practice/play anything I don't like. Good thing my teacher is the kind that let's the kid select from a few different songs of their level so they can develop their own style. xd.png I have really good ears apparently, so my ear training stuff is several levels above my playing level, but no perfect pitch unfortunately.

I also do drumset, because of school. It annoys me to no end when people say it's easy. Especially when they say they can do it, and I suck because I'm not perfect and I make mistakes. It's great when they try and screw up though.

Six hole ocarina is also something I do, but it's self taught and I'm pretty terrible. Mine is alto, I think, but my parents don't like the sound much.

I play piano as well. I have a guitar as well but I dont know how to make chords or anything. The only thing guitar related Ive done was played guitar hero and Im pretty good at that game xP

Edited by Spottedleaf

I'm pretty good at guitar hero too. It's been a while though. xd.png

I might say I'm good at music, but I'm actually pretty terrible when it comes to counting. tongue.gif More than once the band director/orchestra conductor complained that I wasn't in time.

My greatest skill is probably being able to play songs by ear on the recorder.

I used to play piano when I was around 4. I continued doing that until I was about 8 because I didn't really enjoy playing it as much so then I moved onto Violin. At first I didn't like it because the strings hurt my fingers when I pressed down on them. I'm currently still playing the Violin and enjoy every moment of it!

I played flute for 7 years through middle and high school, which was from about age 11 to 18, in both concert and marching band. I would still be playing now if I could, but circumstances don't really allow for it anymore. I also started playing piccolo on the side for the last year in high school, though since I didn't own one myself and had to borrow the instrument from a friend it wasn't at the same level as flute.

The middle school band held an open house event before the new school year where prospective band students would come in, try out the basics of however many instruments they could, get ranked from 1 to 5 and then choose which one they wanted to play. Even back then I had severe social anxiety and I was so nervous that I only tried one station, which was flute. To my immense relief I ranked a 5 at it, figured I didn't have to try anything else, then took my paper up to the band director running the event and signed up as a flute. I don't believe in fate anymore, but for a long time it really did seem like one of those "meant to be" things.

Playing flute is one of the only things in my entire life I'm willing to admit I was good at. Not just good but great, in my opinion the best out of our whole band (in both schools.) When I would play it was the only time the absolute chaos and misery of my life would retreat and I would feel calm, capable and in control. Unfortunately I haven't picked up my flute, nor even opened the case, since the very last day of high school when I played for the last time. Thinking about it makes me very sad, and I want more than anything to be able to play again someday, but it's no fun to play alone and I have no one else to play with.

There was a period of maybe a year in high school where I was self-teaching myself to play trumpet - which I didn't seem well-suited for, in hindsight, because I found it more frustrating than anything else - but my dad had to sell my trumpet later for money and that was the end of that. Someday I'd love to learn to play something else, perhaps violin or bass guitar, two instruments I've wanted to play since childhood, but I still don't have the money, nor the confidence, yet.

I can totally play vocal chords if that counts at all. tongue.gif

I can play some very basic piano, I suppose.

I also started learning guitar but I stopped after some while. I don't know why, but I hope to pick it up again sometime.

I can kinda play the violin.

I really want to learn the shamisen though.

I'm pretty decent at the viola (not the violin)... like I have the impulse to play my viola whenever I hear music that I can play... so I end up doing weird stuff in the air... it's a complicated story.

I played the piano when I was a kid. I supposedly was pretty good, I remember doing well on these graded trials(some sort of piano guild or something, I don't really remember). When I got into band though I quit playing piano and have been out of practice since.

Speaking of band, at that point I picked up the clarinet. I will admit that I don't think I was ever better than mediocre. I also played xylophone during marching season, I tend to think it was a way to get me out of marching as I never was good at it, but I did pretty well on the xylophone.

Anyways, I did not continue band when I went on to college. I hated playing for a grade, though I did enjoy playing in general, particularly the songs the director chose.

I currently play several ocarinas of varying ranges and keys. I'm kind of self-taught on those, so I have a long way to go before I can play them well.

I'm also trying to teach myself how to play guitar; though I can't at the moments, as the instruments are at home and I'm traveling in a trailer... X'D

no, I never got past beginner lessons or level one on piano or guitar. My guitar was swiped by my sister in HS. She had friends who offered to teach her and I had a roomate (which she didn't) who didn't want me to practice chords and changing from one chord to another. I was not good and it drove me mad when I hit wrong notes.

I wish I could play.

I can play quite a few instruments, but I only really consider myself good at a few of them. My main instruments are clarinet, violin, tenor sax, and piano, but I can also kinda squeak along on a bassoon and trumpet. I've always really wanted to learn the harp, but those things are EXPENSIVE. Not to mention huge sad.gif I really admire anybody who can master those things xd.png

I've been playing ukulele for several years, and I've taught lessons a time or two. It's basically the happiest instrument ever.

I am a mediocre pianist. My mom, a private piano teacher, has been giving me lessons for almost ten years. I enjoy playing for myself, though I hate to perform.

If the voice counts as a musical instrument, I can add that I also sing. I take summer lessons and people tell me I'm pretty good. I do love to perform with my voice. smile.gif

my mom's a piano teacher as well 8D I've been playing basically since I could touch the keys, and my first performance was at, like, 3 years old. Piano's always been such a huge part of my life and I can't imagine me without it ~

I've also been playing the violin since first grade... kinda want to quit though d:

Piano for going on 35 years now. Have done a lot of performances, competitons, accompanying etc.

Played flute in elementary through HS, played piccolo in my university's marching band.

Well, it's not an instrument exactly, but I sing, and have been in one kind of choir or another since I was about 9 years old. When I was in elementary and middle school, I played the violin, but I stopped once high school started (it takes a lot of time!)

Any other vocalists here?

Violin 6 or 7. I sucked.

Guitar 3. I think I'm good until I hear someone else. Then I suck.

Vocals. I sing in a rather jazzy style but I'm bad IMO.

I tried my hand at flute when I was in school. I was never any good at it.

Edited by Rachel72