zaverxi

Yellow Undine theories!

So, you think that it is possible that it is the GREEN Undine that is actually the alt?

No. I don't really know how/if I implied that, but no.

Since true alts come about via breeding, I would still consider the yellow an alt, it just differs slightly. (maybe. It might behave normally and we're just very lucky right now)

(There's no such thing as a "true alt". TJ considers all secondary variations, such as Nebulas, to be alts, iirc)

I got me five 2nd gens! Let's see if I get any GREENS, haha.

(There's no such thing as a "true alt". TJ considers all secondary variations, such as Nebulas, to be alts, iirc)

I don't really care what TJ considers as an alt or not. :P For the people that do specifically classify something one way or another, or otherwise think there's a difference, it's generally accepted that Nebulae, Dorsals, and Ridgewings, etc, have color morphs, whereas Blacks and Vines have "true alts". I think, technically, they're also considered true alts because they have totally different sprites, but otherwise they're only gotten through breeding. So, since it appears the yellows are gotten through breeding, they're "true alts".

My dragons:

1) purebred, male influenced and incubated -> Yellow

2) purebred, female influenced and incubated -> Yellow

3) water mother, male influenced and incabated -> Yellow

What if using any magic (fertility/incubate/influence) causes the eggs to be yellow? Has anyone got a yellow without using anything?

....which one of those is magic? Incubate is warming the eggs with body heat/fire, Fertility is the Purple's hormones or something, and Influence is also technically temperature regulation and the Pinks use their sensitive paw pads to tell what temperature the egg is so they can warm/cool it to get a specific gender.

The only actual magic BSAs we have so far are Teleport and Expunge, as well as our own freezing and resurrection magic.

Should i try to not to use any "magic" on my egg, and see what happens? I'll try that.

I'm assuming you mean stuff like Influence, etc, which isn't magic as I said above.

@ DangerDragon I think there have been many eggs with no influence or incubation that have turned out yellow. So we're still at the 'what happens next' stage. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the 3rd gens produce smile.gif

My theory is that CB dragons are green and bred dragons are yellow, and the reason is that dragons we breed and keep in captivity never develop the special relationship with water spirits that gives them special powers and makes them green. :-)

Though this theory makes much logical sense, I still hope I am wrong and that it's just random, because I'd like to be able to make bred greens for lineages.

....which one of those is magic? Incubate is warming the eggs with body heat/fire, Fertility is the Purple's hormones or something, and Influence is also technically temperature regulation and the Pinks use their sensitive paw pads to tell what temperature the egg is so they can warm/cool it to get a specific gender.

The only actual magic BSAs we have so far are Teleport and Expunge, as well as our own freezing and resurrection magic.

I'm assuming you mean stuff like Influence, etc, which isn't magic as I said above.

Well you know what I mean. I mean a giant dragon sitting on an egg would seem like magic to me. I consider dragons magic creatures just in general wether they use "magic" or not. Just personal opinion though. Someone has reported a yellow hatch without using BSA actions anyway, so we know that has nothing to do with it. It was just a thought I had.

Call it what you will, they're still all alts. Blacks and Vines just have breeding-only alts.

Call it what you will, they're still all alts. Blacks and Vines just have breeding-only alts.

It's not just what I'm calling it, though...

But anyways, as it stands, it might be possible that these are either another form of alt that are more similar to Black and Vines in that they're breeding-only, but unlike those the greens are also only CB. However, I doubt it and think that it's just weird ratios and that they're really just like Blacks and Vines. Maybe their alts are also much more common than those.

Agreed. I think that there are relatively few goldens in existence, and the ratios need to even out.

Well you know what I mean. I mean a giant dragon sitting on an egg would seem like magic to me. I consider dragons magic creatures just in general wether they use "magic" or not. Just personal opinion though. Someone has reported a yellow hatch without using BSA actions anyway, so we know that has nothing to do with it. It was just a thought I had.

Who said the dragon has to sit on it? Given that it is a fire based dragon all the dragon has to do is use their fire breath to warm the air around it, and keep it warm.

Being a magical creature ≠ the blessing of the undines (water spirits)

I imagine it's specifically their blessing that would affect it, magic-wise, not just them being magical. So a dragon, which while I agree is a magical creature, would not be able to "bless" an egg just by sitting on it. It's a specific form of magic, and as far as we know, only a form that the water spirits can use. The description does not confirm or reject the idea that the Undines inherited the blessing power, but I think the fact that it says the water spirits bless the eggs and the Undines so far have no BSA or other such action by which to "bless" the eggs means they don't inherit the ability, they simply end up with some magical water-based abilities.

I tried all different pairs of Undines - and was lucky enough to get an Undine egg for each. A few days later and I have my results:

x Black Capped Teimarr = Yellow Undine

x Cassare = Yellow Undine

x Water Horse = Yellow Undine

x Turpentine = Yellow Undine

I also have an egg that will be hatched tomorrow morning that's Undine x Undine - so we shall see what it becomes *puts her money on Yellow for some reason*

*edit - Yup, the PB Undine went yellow

As for why we are getting yellows - I'm wanting to side with those who think it will be every other generation OR those who feel Yellow is common right now to help balance out the normal to alt ratio...

Edited by ShorahNagi

I have 8 2nd gen eggs/hatchies (one hatchie was an awesome gift), only 2 are PB. The rest were bred with varying partners just to see. These are the pairings for all my 2nd gens:

Undine x Brimstone = Yellow hatchie

Undine x Waterhorse = Yellow hatchie

2x PB Undines

Undine x Guardian

Undine x Hellfire (will hatch tomorrow)

Undine x Blusang

Undine x Green Copper

I have high hopes that the Undine x Guardian will turn green. It would look odd if it ended up yellow, but hey, I guess I can make it work. I have enough Guardians to make a lovely checker lineage w/yellows if 3rd gens end up as yellow too.

Edited by Yunako

I was going to suggest that Green Undines breed Yellow Undines and Yellow Undines breed Green Undines, but I think somebody beat me to it cool.gif

o.0 wonder what a green x yellow would do... random or would it always pick like one parent like copper's do.

So, this happened. http://dragcave.net/lineage/GYeZD http://dragcave.net/lineage/yK0pZ

It's not a yellow dragon pairing. It appears like it might be random?

At this point the ratios so severely favor yellow hatchings that we have yet to see a green 2g. If we are going to get green 2gs. Which we still don't know because not enough of the second round have been born yet to give us that information.

It's likely that the alts are counted separately, like alts for vines and blacks, and they will be fairly easy to get for about a month before they start evening out

This is what I'm figuring as well. All my bred ones are golden. Since these dragons are brand new, the goldies might take a bit to catch up.

I bred a bunch of Undine x Undine just to see what would happen. If some/all hatch yellow, that would be great. I like both colors but having one of each would be awesome.

At this point the ratios so severely favor yellow hatchings that we have yet to see a green 2g. If we are going to get green 2gs. Which we still don't know because not enough of the second round have been born yet to give us that information.

My thoughts exactly. I imagine once the ratios even out, it might be harder to get the yellows.

So has anyone actually managed to get a yellow undine? Sorry, I haven't been good at keeping track of this one ^^'

Yes all 2nd gen.

Now we are trying to get a green 2nd gen. if possible..

TJ said 8 eggs... Maybe CBs make Golds, Golds makes one of the "8" eggs? It is a mystery... Try to breed 3 Gen EG and see what will come smile.gif