TJ09

2014-08-02 - August Release

Here's the problem. I'm not having fun with random releases. I am not having fun with this random, unreliable system one single bit.

And Here`s another problem. Many collectors don`t have fun with fixed known in advance releases, as it takes away all the fun of surprise and anticipation when you wait when will the next new release happen.

I think we may be over-thinking the 8 eggs thing. It might have just referred to how much he was displaying. .-. I didn't really keep up with the thread (don't feel like reading 23 pages >.>), but I read a couple of pages.

I'm among those disappointed with the announced change regarding the monthly releases.

I've a busy real life with work and family and I cannot check DC every day at every hour to see if something new is dropping. Knowing for sure when I had to look has been one of the best things in the past months/years.

I just hope TJ will, at least, keep something "fixed": IE day and time, so I'll know for sure I must check for new releases every Saturday at 19.00 (Italy's time). This would be a big help for me.

And Here`s another problem. Many collectors don`t have fun with fixed known in advance releases, as it takes away all the fun of surprise and anticipation when you wait when will the next new release happen.

I don't see how keeping one's scroll empty all the time/possibly having to dump eggs is *anyones* idea of fun. :/

ETA:I have plenty of surprise and anticipation because I have no idea how many eggs/dimorphism/what they're going to look like.

Edited by prpldrgnfr

For me knowing there was a new realease (nearly) every first Sunday made it easier to plan for.

If I'm honest though I can see the argument for this. Dragon cave has it's 'predictable' releases around the holidays and I remember back when they used to be something exciting. Now they are just the new realease for whatever month they fall into.

I know there is a backlog of new eggs waiting to be introduced, I seem to remember a post were TJ said it would take years to realease all of them. It's a fine balance between trying to find a way to get through the backlog and stopping the game from becoming stale.

Maybe - and this is just an idea - a few major egg dumps a year might work. And by major I mean multiple figures of new species. A couple of new eggs for each biome. I don't know if they should be random or if we should have traditional new release days, say around the change of the season perhaps? Another nice use for our leetle trees.

This would mean it would take weeks to collect all the eggs. But as someone who has been playing for years I find the idea of this quite exciting. We could still have them be the only drop in the cave maybe for three days, but after that they could start to mix and it would be back to normal.

Actually the more I think about it the more I like this idea. But it's just an idea so while constructive criticism is welcomed no nastiness for the sake of nastiness please.

I think we may be over-thinking the 8 eggs thing. It might have just referred to how much he was displaying. .-. I didn't really keep up with the thread (don't feel like reading 23 pages >.>), but I read a couple of pages.

I think it is simple we have 2 colors, and for both hatchlings and adults dimorphism, so 1 frozen s2 hatchling and 1 adult of both genders and 2 colors and that makes 8 eggs shown on TJ`s post. But i might be wrong and we actually get more alt dragons.

I don't see how keeping one's scroll empty all the time/possibly having to dump eggs is *anyones* idea of fun. :/

ETA:I have plenty of surprise and anticipation because I have no idea how many eggs/dimorphism/what they're going to look like.

Same. Having to leave my scroll empty or dump eggs isn't fun, it's frustrating. Plus, while I have a fairly free schedule on the weekends, a lot of people don't. They have to plan around the releases, and if it's a rare... Well, it's not going to be easy to grab after the initial drops.

This could be alleviated by having set 24 hour drops, but I doubt that'll be implemented.

That would actually also depend on one actually having something desirable to trade.

(...)

But if you don't have any rares because of a horrible connection to begin with trading isn't possible. It's a huge circle that.

That's the problem, exactly. I started the game when the Golds and Silvers were already in the cave, so I wasn't there to get them on their releases.

And playing for 2 1/2 years, I never had anything on my scroll that I could have traded for a CB Gold or Silver. Honestly - is there anything but 3-and-lower gen Prize dragons (or 2nd gens from Spriter's Alts), the other CB Metallic or Neglecteds that makes people part from a CB Gold or Silver ? I haven't seen something, so far. (Except things like "a five letter word code". You can't breed/catch that any more than you can catch the CB Metal.)

To trade for real rares you need to have real rares, and if you don't win a raffle it is unlikely to get anywhere that way.

And as for catching later... I'm in the biomes regularly (albeit not daily). I have seen them, but I never managed to catch one. And my internet connection is really good. With a slower one - no chance.

And that's why people are so paranoid about possible rares. (I know, this is talking about Golds and Silvers, but the "ultra uncommons" are still a real pain to get a trade for, if you don't have CB Metals for breeding 2nd gens or something like that to start with.)

@topic:

Those hatchlings are adorable ! I like the pose, the proportions, the colouring ! The water-thing sounds interesting, too. smile.gif And I'm always happy to see male/female dimorphism !

Congratulations, Little Art Girl and Shiny Hazard Sign, and thank you for your work ! I can't wait to see the adults ! Will there be some additional information once they grow up - or will we have to wait for the encyclopedia to see that ? wink.gif

Someone said "Umbrella" and someone else "Undine", that would be promising names.

Edited by Lantean_Pegasus

I think it is simple we have 2 colors, and for both hatchlings and adults dimorphism, so 1 frozen s2 hatchling and 1 adult of both genders and 2 colors and that makes 8 eggs shown on TJ`s post. But i might be wrong and we actually get more alt dragons.

Yeah it most likely is xd.png If there were 8 colors I would think he would show each one of them instead of just 1/4 of them, lol.

Same. Having to leave my scroll empty or dump eggs isn't fun, it's frustrating. Plus, while I have a fairly free schedule on the weekends, a lot of people don't. They have to plan around the releases, and if it's a rare... Well, it's not going to be easy to grab after the initial drops.

How about the collectors who even with known releases still cant manage to be here on time, and would rather have a different date for drop. And there is no rule saying that anyone needs to get egg locked with new eggs as soon as they are released.

I find it really cool that it's an egg where you don't know which form is going to hatch - like with Alt Black and Alt Vine, just CB.

It would be nice if there were some compromise between scheduled drops and random drops. TJ wants to go back to random drops - ok, I get that, his prerogative. But as this news thread is showing, there's a significant number of people who prefer scheduled drops.

I think one big reason that a schedule is preferred is because it's much harder to get new eggs after the eggs start mixing, so many want to know when to be online and ready for a new release to hunt the first couple of unmixed hours of drops. These new eggs started mixing on hour 3, which has been normal for non-holiday releases.

If there was a 24-hour drop, it would give time for the news of a random new release to get around, for people to decide what to do with what's on their scrolls, and for a chance to catch the new eggs without worries of mis-clicks. This way, people who like random releases are pleased, and people who preferred a schedule can still get themselves informed and organized without having to sweat mis-clicks locking them through a large chunk of their waking hours.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion for compromise that anyone is welcome to take up elsewhere. I know there's no pleasing everyone playing this game.

I'm really happy to see M/F stages for this release! There have been a lot of single sprites this year.

Edited by stardust13

And there is no rule saying that anyone needs to get egg locked with new eggs  as soon as they are released.

I'm a bit confused by your statement. So far I've read references to egg-locked only as "If I don't know when a new release will happen, there are good chances that I will be egg-locked then and not able to catch any without abandoning eggs." Do you mind explaining what you meant?

I'm a bit confused by your statement. So far I've read references to egg-locked only as "If I don't know when a new release will happen, there are good chances that I will be egg-locked then and not able to catch any without abandoning eggs." Do you mind explaining what you meant?

I meant to say that there is no rule that says that all collectors must get as much new eggs as they have slots on their scroll on the first day of release.

No, there's no rule per se. But there has been, created by what's gone on with the game (i.e. NOT made up from thin air by the players), an anticipation of never knowing if you'll be able to get the eggs at all if you don't get them right when they're released. And with that being the case, a lot of people will find random releases more stressful. There are ways to address other issues / possible problems with the drops that I personally think would be more useful to a greater percentage of people than this.

Edited by diaveborn

I meant to say that there is no rule that says that all collectors must get as much new eggs as they have slots on their scroll on the first day of release.

Understood. But maybe they would like a pair of each.

Anyway, after reading all this, I'm guessing that the next releases announcements threads will be ... interesting.

Question (for art in the discussion thread) - were all of TJ's eggs the same greenish color?

Surprise is only fun when you win either way, not when you get screwed over and lose if you aren't lucky or obsessive. Though if you've gotten to the point where this is about what you enjoy vs. what I enjoy, then it's pointless. If you don't want to debate this whole thing, then it's better to let the people you disagree with vent their frustration in peace. You don't see me going after people simply saying they're happy about randomness for whatever reason, originally all you saw from me are complaints about how this strips out all of the fun and enjoyment from dragon releases for me and moves me much closer to abandoning this place. Telling me you enjoy randomness wont change what I enjoy or don't.

I can be interested in discussing compromises like other people in the thread have brought up, but without TJ being open to them that's also pointless.

Question (for art in the discussion thread) - were all of TJ's eggs the same greenish color?

I think they were uniform in color.

Those S2 hatchlings are gorgeous-I think the dragon might have "Glossy" or "Slimy" or "Moist" or "Shiny" in the name somwhere. 3 days until adults-darn! mad.gif

I mean no yellow eggs - all of them looked the same?

My theory is that green adults come from forest and yellow ones from alpine, but i might be wrong.