TJ09

2014-08-02 - August Release

Yellow and Green which is a very pretty combination. These dragons will make nice even gen lineages. smile.gif

Do not see how either of those things are TJ's fault or responsibility.

Did I say that it was his responsibility? It is his fault though. He made an improvement a year and a half ago. He made it possible for people to adjust their real life responsibilities to align with the game, so naturally people should be able to expect to see things continue to improve. Instead he's reverting to the old way of the game's mechanics. The idea for anything in life is to improve it. A year and a half ago he took a step forward and now is taking two steps back. In a game where people are supposed to be able to play "their" way, it can be expected for complaints to come when changes are implemented that prevent this.

Does the 8 eggs = 8 different colors of the dragons? Or is there actually 8 eggs?

It means 2 colors, with gender dimorphism for the S2 hatchies and adults.

It means 2 colors, with gender dimorphism for the S2 hatchies and adults.

Interesting...sweet then. x3

The S2 hatchies are just as cute as the S1s! Usually I like one or the other better, but not this time! Now I have high hopes for the adults! laugh.gif

Ooooh the hatchies are all so gorgeous! Can't wait to see the adults biggrin.gif

Did I say that it was his responsibility? It is his fault though. He made an improvement a year and a half ago. He made it possible for people to adjust their real life responsibilities to align with the game, so naturally people should be able to expect to see things continue to improve. Instead he's reverting to the old way of the game's mechanics. The idea for anything in life is to improve it. A year and a half ago he took a step forward and now is taking two steps back. In a game where people are supposed to be able to play "their" way, it can be expected for complaints to come when changes are implemented that prevent this.

I agree and the new eggs are even hard to catch now sad.gif

Do not see how either of those things are TJ's fault or responsibility.

Well, fault and/or responsibility aside, generally a person running a business will try to make their product appealing and enjoyable for users. So even if the change is permanent, the feedback is probably worthwhile in terms of letting TJ figure out which things about the scheduled releases were working because some of those things might be able to be incorporated into the new way of doing things.

Frankly, I've specualted for a while that it's possible that we're being slowly weaned off of the practice of coming and getting a scroll full of new eggs on the day of release. If it's true, I can see both sides of that.

On the plus side, it makes it more difficult to meet scroll goals all in one go which, in turn, extends game play. Mixing old eggs in so early and now randomizing the drops will aid in that because people can't rapid click to get the new eggs as effectively when old eggs are there, and because people won't know to clear their scrolls and so a lot of people will have eggs that they won't be willing to toss.

On the downside, of course, is that many people have poor connections and this ends a way that they can level the playing field a bit by always showing up on time for new releases. I sympathize with that because, for many players, getting uncommons/rares is a matter of time and persistence. But for some that's not really enough when it comes to rare hunting. However, I think that there are other ways that we could help with that that are more inclusive of people with poor connection who couldn't always be here for the first day of release.

Good games seem to be a mix of goals that excite the player to pursue, and obstacles that keep them from meeting those goals to quickly. I tend to see release changes as an attempt to find that sweet spot. That can, IMO, be definitely worth some growing pains, but even positive changes can be problematic if they're too disruptive to a large portion of people's style of play.

And, in other news, beautiful hatchies! Kudos to the artists. smile.gif

Well, fault and/or responsibility aside, generally a person running a business will try to make their product appealing and enjoyable for users. So even if the change is permanent, the feedback is probably worthwhile in terms of letting TJ figure out which things about the scheduled releases were working because some of those things might be able to be incorporated into the new way of doing things.

Frankly, I've specualted for a while that it's possible that we're being slowly weaned off of the practice of coming and getting a scroll full of new eggs on the day of release. If it's true, I can see both sides of that.

On the plus side, it makes it more difficult to meet scroll goals all in one go which, in turn, extends game play. Mixing old eggs in so early and now randomizing the drops will aid in that because people can't rapid click to get the new eggs as effectively when old eggs are there, and because people won't know to clear their scrolls and so a lot of people will have eggs that they won't be willing to toss.

On the downside, of course, is that many people have poor connections and this ends a way that they can level the playing field a bit by always showing up on time for new releases. I sympathize with that because, for many players, getting uncommons/rares is a matter of time and persistence. But for some that's not really enough when it comes to rare hunting. However, I think that there are other ways that we could help with that that are more inclusive of people with poor connection who couldn't always be here for the first day of release.

Good games seem to be a mix of goals that excite the player to pursue, and obstacles that keep them from meeting those goals to quickly. I tend to see release changes as an attempt to find that sweet spot. That can, IMO, be definitely worth some growing pains, but even positive changes can be problematic if they're too disruptive to a large portion of people's style of play.

And, in other news, beautiful hatchies! Kudos to the artists. smile.gif

I mean I understand that we can't be locked with rares all the times. But being forced to trade for almost everything that is newly released because on has a bad connection isn't really my idea of fun ^^;

I like the random releases better, as long as they're still ubiquitous. Random releases are fun. You can always just catch the eggs later.

Oh yes I know these guys <3 Gorgeous S2s, cannot wait for the adults!

I wouldn't exactly mind random releases, but I'd rather 'rares' have scheduled releases or something. The change of release time moved it from two in the afternoon to two in the morning for me, but hours later I've still been able to catch everything, so a random release like that would be alright in my books. Those dragons all ended up on the common side though. Imagine something as rare as a Blusang, Copper and so on released at random, all the people caught off guard and scrambling for these dragons hours later, when other eggs are mixing back in.

In short, I'm on the fence about random releases.

Edited by rampaging wyvern

I mean I understand that we can't be locked with rares all the times. But being forced to trade for almost everything that is newly released because on has a bad connection isn't really my idea of fun ^^;

I agree. I think that trading becomes less fun and more frustrating the more a player has to do it in order to meet even relatively basic scroll goals. That's why I think that changes like these would go over better if we had a way to compensate some for slow connections that didn't rely on trading.

OH MAN i dont even play anymore but im really excited to see this guys getting released! i loved them haha

Did I say that it was his responsibility? It is his fault though. He made an improvement a year and a half ago. He made it possible for people to adjust their real life responsibilities to align with the game, so naturally people should be able to expect to see things continue to improve. Instead he's reverting to the old way of the game's mechanics. The idea for anything in life is to improve it. A year and a half ago he took a step forward and now is taking two steps back.  In a game where people are supposed to be able to play "their" way, it can be expected for complaints to come when changes are implemented that prevent this.

Who are you to say this isn't an improvement? As it is I find little incentive to log in more than once a month for the new release. The only other times I log in are to use my summon and breed some Shimmers and Tinsels for the lovely people in the departures thread. Now I have more reason to check in regularly. It's nice. If I miss a release because of this, it's not the end of the world.

I've been on this site for a couple years on and off and I still cannot believe how much people whine when they don't get "their" way. Thousands of people play this game. ~Removed~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I agree. I think that trading becomes less fun and more frustrating the more a player has to do it in order to meet even relatively basic scroll goals. That's why I think that changes like these would go over better if we had a way to compensate some for slow connections that didn't rely on trading.

That would actually also depend on one actually having something desirable to trade.

Due to me having a really good connection in the past I actually own CB metallics to breed tradeable offsprings from.

But if you don't have any rares because of a horrible connection to begin with trading isn't possible. It's a huge circle that.

I wasnt there for random releases, but i liked the monthly scheduled release.

Since i am egglocked almost all the time, i knew when to keep my scroll empty.

Tho I dont mind random releases, i do hope we will get new dragons atleast once a month.

I think i know what the adults will look like, if i remember correctly from the completed list!

Who are you to say this isn't an improvement?

Did I miss a bunch of complaining about releases being scheduled? The complaining I saw all revolved around the scheduled drops not being regular *enough*.

I am rather sad to see the announcement, that this should mark the end of the scheduled releases.

I, for one, am not always at the liberty to check every weekend to see whether or not a new dragon is being released or not.

Would it be possible to announce, within the same week, if a new dragon is being released? With a three or four days notice, people in different time zones and different responsibility have a chance to plan ahead.

Otherwise it is back for me to not getting new dragons for some time. As it was before... I did not really like the way it was before. I still think these scheduled releases were a huge improvement.

I am happy either way. I have things I can do anytime on my scroll regardless of releases or not. I like collecting new ones, but I also like to collect old dragons. Right now, I am just trying to be a good breeder and help others with their wishes. My current goal is to help out anyway I can here.

It is impossible for anyone to please everyone, in keeping this in mind, especially for TJ, I am pleased just to have this site continue running. I am happy I can come and chat with my friends here and continue collecting these wonderful pieces of art.

Once again, thank you TJ and all the Spriters!

Edited by ElementalMistressLuna

Nice, I can't wait to see what they grow up into. I managed to get 2. Hoping that 1 of them is the alt...

ITS A GAME! HAVE FUN!

Here's the problem. I'm not having fun with random releases. I am not having fun when I'm forced to abandon eggs. I am not having fun when I'm forced to check every hour of every day of every month so I don't miss a rare. I am not having fun with uncertainty. I had fun with the scheduled releases ensuring I'd get new dragons (which is the only reason I play) and that I'd be able to relax and pursue my personal goals. I am not having fun with this random, unreliable system one single bit.

I love the color of these new eggs, they're so pretty. I can't wait and see what they grow up to be.

Also, 8 eggs? I don't get it. Is it a riddle or something? ohmy.gif

I love the color of these new eggs, they're so pretty. I can't wait and see what they grow up to be.

Also, 8 eggs? I don't get it. Is it a riddle or something? ohmy.gif

We think it's for the 8th month of the year being this month. Not sure or fact yet. smile.gif

Edit: I am loving the gendered hatchlings! <3

Edited by ElementalMistressLuna

Are you sure TJ's not just trolling? I think it's enough eggs for a frozen of the Hatchling and Adult of each type.