aangs-sister

Completed List Favourites Tournament

The last one could have a bye - that is, an automatic pass to the next round. That's what this type of single elimination tournament usually does with odd ones.

That would be good, especially if the round after would end up oddly numbered without it. I haven't counted that far, but it may be the case.

The last one could have a bye - that is, an automatic pass to the next round. That's what this type of single elimination tournament usually does with odd ones.

And the dragon that gets the bye should be the dragon that won its first round by the biggest margin or maybe the biggest percentage of votes.

That second suggestion since I just realized that I'm pretty sure more people in total voted on sets 3-5 than on sets 1-2. Be kind of unfair to give the bye to a Set 5 dragon that won 30-10, if a Set 1 dragon won 20-1, you know? Because the Set 1 dragon got the bigger percentage of votes, but since folks maybe hadn't yet seen/heard about the voting until the poll closed, it only got about half number of votes in total as the Set 5 dragon. (Numbers pulled from thin air to be used as examples... hopefully making sense.)

Forgot to say I did the poll yesterday and Voted for Set 5! Gonna make sure I tune in for this more often, wanted to do it sooner the poll makes it soo much easier, sorry I missed the earlier ones!

Edited by natayah

Hi guys, really sorry about the lack of images in this latest round - I'm having a hard time getting to a computer that can process the screenshots, my regular computer is lagging quite badly.

I will do my best to get the images uploaded on the upcoming rounds, since from round 2 onwards competing dragon images will no longer be next to one another on the completed list.

Sorry once again!

How will the next round be handled? It seems as though we will have one extra dragon, from the looks of it. Each set has an odd number of dragons (5th will have an odd number once the round is complete), so while the first 4 sets would be find to just combine or even transfer a dragon to make them even, 5th will have one extra. Will it be a three way vote?

Let's either chose a lucky looser (the loser with the highest percentage of votes, including votes for "both"). Or even several of them: Pretty much everything that has 50% or more should pass - couting "both" votes for both breeds that were in direct competition.

I've already seen one case where both breeds got more than 50% votes, since there were a whole lot of "both" votes there.

Also, I think starting with round 3, we should create new groups from the remaining dragons.

Actually, she should probably make new groups starting with round 2. To follow the tournament style she began with it should probably not be set up so that set1 sprite1 is against set1 sprite2 but set1 sprite1 is against set2sprite1. So set 1 winners against set 2 winners. The issue with that is there are 5 sets instead of 6 or 8.

What Olympe is suggesting is basically that those who got at least 50% but still lost become, in essence, wildcards, factored back into the voting. Which would be fine, except that round 1 had simply win or lose and round 2 had only win, lose or no vote, so there are none from the first two rounds that would qualify. I think. It could be argued for those rounds that anything that lost by less than a certain margin would become a wildcard.

Wildcards could be used to balance the number of remaining dragons to be something closer to a power of two, which is the ideal number for an elimination tournament.

Edit: there are (or will be) 237 dragons passing to the next round with this set up. The 5 groups don't each have the same number (unless I can't count, which is possible) So, breaking the remaining dragons into 4 groups of 64 (with the missing 19 added by Olympe's idea of wildcards) would completely work.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

Edit: there are (or will be) 237 dragons passing to the next round with this set up. The 5 groups don't each have the same number (unless I can't count, which is possible) So, breaking the remaining dragons into 4 groups of 64 (with the missing 19 added by Olympe's idea of wildcards) would completely work.

That number is divisible by 3, so maybe we could move on to groups of 3? It would be even. Course then we would be left with 79 which doesn't divide evenly into anything...

Protip: when checking to see if something is divisible by three, add up the numbers in whatever number. If they add up to a number divisible by three, then it works. For this, 2+3+7=12, which is divisible by three. Actually, 12 is 1+2=3, which is three! Something like 19 would add to 10, which isn't divisible by three, but 18 is 1+8=9 which is.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

The way elimination tournaments work, you really need powers of 2. You're always pitting A against B, eliminating half of the entries. If you go with 3 groups next time you're still going to be facing the same question for the round after that. As in, what do you do with the leftovers? At some point, just by the way these things work, you're going to end up with 2^x entries left. You might as well head that way now and save the aggravation.

If you don't like "near misses" becoming wild cards, then 19 of the remaining entrants would get byes for the next round - that is, pass automatically to the next, to even out the numbers. You could also do a combination of byes and wildcards, particularly if the number of dragons that got 50% or more but lost, or only lost by one or two votes (rounds 1 and 2) is less than 19.

I like the idea of wildcards. Gives the near-misses another chance. I don't know how the numbers will work out, though.

Seems lots have talking abut the next round has been going on. smile.gif Since odd numbers are going to happen, I'll get this out of the way now.

I was just going to give the odd one at the bottom a free pass in the event of an odd one out, but after reading the discussion going on, I've modified it a bit. In the event of an odd number in a set, the dragon who got the highest number of votes will get the free pass. (this will be added to the first post shortly)

I want to keep this as fast and simple as I can and I can see 'wildcards' potentially gumming things up, especially in later rounds where I imagine the votes will be closer as the remaining breeds are all very well liked. They also won't work well since round one for sets 1 and 2 had different options for voting then the other rounds, so they would need a different set up.

As for new sets, I don't see a need right now but sets will be mixed once the numbers are more manageable. For round 2, there will be around 25 in each set, so I'll start mixing in round 3 or 4.

OK, Set 5 Round 1 is OVER smile.gif

Congratulations! We have basically halved the completed list!

Here are the results in pie chart form from the last round so you can check for yourself: CLICK ME!

Here are the winners: (Winners in bold, losers crossed out)

Spike Head VS Spindle Pygmys

Spiral-Necked Wyvern VS Split-Jaw

Split-Wing Wyvern VS Spotted Pygmy

Spotted River VS Stalk-eyed Drak

Star Flare VS Starcore

Stardancers VS Stardust

Stargazing VS Starlet

Statue VS Stratos

Strelitzia VS Stunted

Sugar Crystal VS Sugarfeather

Sugarpony Dragon VS Sun-Tailed Dragon

Sunburst Lindwyrm VS Sunshower

Surgeon VS Swamp

Swirl VS Tailwing

Tangelo Drakewyrm VS Tanglewyrm

Tatterwing VS Tawny

Teal Wyvern VS Telsa

Terravyrn VS Themian

Thornback Leaf-Runner Pygmy VS Threadwing

Tiger Cat VS Tiger Pygmy

Tin VS Tomato - TIE!, Passing both as I have no big preference.

Toxic VS Treader

Tree Hugger VS Trickster

Trilobite VS Tropical Seadancer

Tufted VS Turquoise Wyrm

Twin Royal VS Twin-horn

Tyrian VS Ultramarine

Eastern Unicorn VS Western Unicorn

Utopia/Dystopia VS Valiant

Venomfang VS Vigilant

Violet VS Viridis Amphiptere

Virtus VS Volcanic Desert Runner

Vulpines VS Vulpine Navigator

Wallowing VS Whistlewing Wyvern

White Barred Drake VS White Dino

Whiteflame VS Whitemoth

Whitewater VS Wildfire

Willowherb VS Wind Serpent

Wish Pygmy VS Wish-Maker Wyvern

Wolfsbane VS Wood - Maple

Woolly VS Worm-Grunting

Yellow VS Yellow-Faced Wyvern

Zmey VS Cloud Weavers

...And onto the next round!

Poll HERE! (Thanks to Ponytales for setting up!)

Please make sure to POST that you did the poll!

Voted for set 1!

I was sorely tempted to vote "null" for the Dazzeltail dragon.

Edit: First one :3

Edited by Niyaka