Fortune86

PLEASE CLOSE ~ DEAD

((Hey, any Slayers out there wanna kill Jeanette's parents? They're NPCs and I feel like inflicting some trauma on my RP character for some reason.))

{{Suuree. Why not. PM to discus?}}

{{Suuree. Why not. PM to discus?}}

((Could it be all three of the slayers? Like a bonding experience... seems like it could work as a good way for the three of them to meet))

Edited by Marcus Pheonix

As Odette made her way down the corridor a man stepped into her line of sight. He looked to be in his early to mid thirties and carried an air of authority about him. At first she thought he was another teacher, but as she drew closer she realised she recognised him from someone. It took her a moment to place him.

"Why Mr Mayor" Odette greeted as she drew closer. "I sure didn't expect to see you here. Giving the students a start of term speech?"

Damien waited patiently until the person came to view. Once he had a good view of the woman he tried to remember where he had seen the woman’s face before. He had gone through the history of Brookwood knowing there were several supes that out lived them and had made a point to keep record of those people.

“Ah mother Odette.” Damien spoke as he finally recognised the woman. “I almost didn’t recognise you with your new look. It is a pleasure to finally meet someone with your stature.”

Ah, the man was a Supe. Only other supernaturals would address her as such. If he had been a slayer, she would probably have been on the wrong end of a weapon right about now.

"Well thank you, it is always nice to see someone who respects us 'older folk'."

She gave a playful sigh.

"So many of the younger ones these days have such little understanding. And can be so rude."

“Ah yes the younger generation is a bit… unpleasant at times. Sometimes a bit hard to keep them in line but I believe we could guide them in the right direction thou I’m just as much of a youngster in your eyes as they are.” Damien spoke smiling with a bit of mischiefness. He had relaxed a little knowing now he was in the presence of another supe.

“If you wish I can introduce you to a couple people on a later stage?”

"That would be lovely" said Odette. "I would hate to cause embarrassment or commit a faux pas by trying to work out who is who on my own."

None of her mental powers worked on supernaturals such as fae, demons, harpies or other vampires, so it was always easy to pick them out, but witches and werewolves in human form could easily be affected. Odette tried not to target them if possible out of courtesy for other Supes. She didn't want to accidentally expose someone as a werewolf and perhaps blow an entire pack out of hiding.

"For now, perhaps you could let me know if there are any special children known to you here at the school?"

((Could it be all three of the slayers? Like a bonding experience... seems like it could work as a good way for the three of them to meet))

((I'm all for this. Maybe they could get a tip about a couple of harpies from whoever it is they all report to and just head up the mountain. Like I said, they're NPCs, so I personally don't feel the need to detail the fight, but I'll change my mind if popular demand swings the other way.))

“Oh I know all of them.” Damien chuckled. “We’ll I can easily point out them out. Every now and then a new one appears but it’s still easy to find them. I believe there is quite a few in your class. If I counted right there should be at least four.”

Damien looked at his watch noticing the time. He still had to stop by the doctor and seeing that he was a bit early he might as well stop by and get it over with.

“Well I still have some duties to do so I will bid you farewell for now mother Odette. I will set a time to meet up at some point for now I hope you enjoy your first day here.”

"Thank you" replied Odette. "And I will look forward to meeting you again. Goodbye for now."

She smiled and then continued on down the hallway. Within a minute she was outside the door of her new classroom, which she knocked on before opening. The woman inside spotted her and hurried over.

"Ah, you would be Miss Durant? I got the message that you were stuck in traffic. Jams don't happen often but when they do it feels like they cut the whole mountain off."

Odette nodded and shook her hand.

"Yes I can see how that would happen with there just being the one road. This is the history class correct?"

"That's it. The black plague, the art, stuff like that. They all have their text books already."

Odette thanked the woman and stood back while she addressed the students.

"Class? This is your new history and home room teacher Miss Durant. She will be taking over for Mr Richards while he is recovering in hospital. Settle yourselves down now."

The covering teacher said goodbye and left the room, leaving Odette in charge.

"Good morning everyone" said Odette crossing the room towards the desk. "I apologise for being late, I'm afraid I underestimated the morning traffic quite badly, but now that I am here lets get started."

She put her bag on the desk, pulled out a thick wad of notes and placed them down beside her bag.

"Now I understand you are just about to start the Renaissance. Quick pop question, can anyone tell me without opening their textbooks in which country the Renaissance started?"

She turned to look round at her new students.

"Anyone?"

Jeremiah looked up with interest as the new teacher was introduced. She looked interesting, he wondered whether her hair colour was natural or whether she died it to appear more unique.

She brought up the topic of the Renaissance and Jeremiah felt the corner of his mouth twitch. The Renaissance was his favourite period in history and he had studied it multiple times. He also greatly enjoyed the Assasins Creed games that Mayumi had bought for his birthday some years ago.

"Italy," He said with surety.

"The Renaissance began in Italy and then spread to the rest of Europe," He finished. He looked over at Matthew who was looking at him with his eyebrows raised.

With a look saying 'I dare you to say teachers pet' Jeremiah raised his eyebrow at Matthew. Matthew rolled his eyes and turned back to the front.

"That is correct" said Odette. "The Renaissance started in Italy and lasted for about three hundred or so years. There is no defined date of when it started, only being recognised as the Renaissance many years later, but the earliest traces of it are in the thirteenth century."

She looked at the boy who had answered her question.

"For future reference, lets hold up a hand when answering or asking a question. An old tradition I know, but I find it so much better than just blurting things out. Gives everyone an equal chance to give the answer."

Jeremiah tilted his head again.

"I would have happily held up my hand had this been a simple question, but in the past pop quizzes simply require straight answers. The one who finds the answer first calls out said answer... whats more It seemed unlikely that anyone else was going to answer so there really was no need to put my hand up," Jeremiah finished. He felt a little bad talking back to a teacher, but he hoped she wouldn't be one of those teachers who was so obsessed with the rules that she wouldn't allow any leeway in how things worked in the classroom.

Many of the teachers who would set punishments for only the smallest whisper between classmates ended up getting fired due to backlash from the students and consequentially their parents. Jeremiah didn't want that to happen to a teacher who had just arrived.

"You didn't even give anyone a chance to answer" said Odette raising an eyebrow. "It seems a little unfair for you to judge the knowledge of your classmates so. And even with pop quizzes, it is considered polite to raise your hand rather than shout across the classroom. Mr Richards may have been content to allow people to do to so, but I have a different way of doing things. I hope we can all understand that to avoid any embarrassment."

It looked like this boy was going to one of those awkward little so and sos who thought they were right about everything and had little compunction about being rude about it. Odette hated the impolite. She may have occasionally slaughtered an entire village, but at least she had never been uncivil going about it. Of course, this was a snap judgement, he might simply be running his mouth as teenage boys tended to do. Only time would tell.

"The Renaissance was important because as a cultural movement it encompassed a resurgence of learning based on classical sources, the development of linear perspective in painting, and gradual but widespread educational reform" she said adressing the class. "Traditionally, this intellectual transformation has resulted in the Renaissance being viewed as a bridge between the Middle Ages and the Modern era."

"One of the most well known parts of the Renaissance was the artwork. Can anyone, raising their hands, tell me the name of one of the most influential artists?"

Edited by Fortune86

Jeremiah raised his hand, he supposed that raising your hand to answer a question wasn't that bad. He had done it before, but Mr Richards had known his affinity for this subject and usually didn't mind. He had been the first to raise his hand but after the angry retort he'd given towards the new teacher he doubted she'd select him. Sighing with annoyance he lowered his hand and gently rested his head in his arms. If the teacher were to be annoyed by this he didn't care, she probably knew that he could answer any question about the renaissance she asked and it would be unreasonable to punish someone who had been paying attention to the topic. He chuckled quietly to himself, he wondered which they would pick. The obvious choice was Da Vinci, who wasn't actually a painter. Most of the people in this room would have seen at least one episode of the ninja turtles, but those who remembered their links to the renaissance would be fewer.

Edited by Marcus Pheonix

((MP could you please give the other RPers in the class a chance to post? It's rather unfair of you.))

((Is there a chance you can think of another question? If so then I won't respond but if not then I'll delete my post))

((Can't Jeremiah just raise his hand and wait to be called on? That is what normally happens. Also Odette asked for one artist, not four. I was trying to give everyone a chance to answer. If you keep hogging the spotlight the others won't get much to do.))

((I must correct you he said three. I was going to but I thought the post

'Jeremiah held up his hand and waited' would fall outside the rules. If you want it that badly then Ill delete the post))

((Please. And you and I both know that you can spin 'Jeremiah held up his hand and waited' into something a bit longer.

Jeremiah could instantly think of several artists. Deciding to play by Miss Durant's rules he raised his hand. To his surprise a few other hands also went up into the air. It appeared that some of the other students did know a bit about the Renaissance after all, or had at least heard of the ninja turtles. He wondered if anyone would be stupid enough to venture 'Splinter' as an answer though.

See?))

As the teacher entered, the blue haired girl glanced toward her with curiosity in her gleaming gaze. Her pupils flickered over the strange woman, as if sizing her up before she returned her attention to the desk in front of her.

Moments later, Jacquelina's gaze shot between the teacher and the kid who answered with barely a pause. Someone in the class coughed rather loudly, and she could have swore the words, "brown noser," were muddled in the obnoxious noise somewhere. The fae chuckled inwardly and a few knowing looks were exchanged by several of the children. Though, instead of gaining the teacher's favor, the woman seemed perplexed. Amusement filled her gaze as the lady scolded the would be class know-it-all. The girl had no intent on answering the question, but as she caught sight of the smirk, her sapphire eyes flickered dangerously.

Turning to her green-haired friend, she whispered an answer to her softly. Sharon gave a short curt nod before she lifted a hand ever-so-slightly.

Beads of sweat were beginning to form on Oz's brow as he focused harder, the intensity behind his actions the result of trying to zone in on the mayors voice. The spell he had cast had been an advanced spell, enabling the user to enhance all sounds within a targeted location, ofcourse the larger the location, the more taxing the spell. Oz had only cast the spell on the current floor of the school and already he was beginning to feel fatigued.

Finally isolating the Mayor's voice, he was shocked to hear the sound of another. Someone whose voice he could not place a face to. Wiping the sweat from his forehead, he continued to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"So... the new teachers also a supernatural..." muttered Oz, opening his eyes and ending the spell. Breathing heavily, he leaned over and reached into his backpack, pulling out a bottle of water. Something Damien had said had piqued his interest, the comment about his age in relation to hers. Was she a demon?, Another Fae? A vampire?, These thoughts swirled through his head as he unscrewed the bottle and took several big gulps, wiping the droplets of water from his mouth as he finished.

Jeanette woke up with several hours to spare. She rolled her shoulders forward to stretch her back and glanced at her phone. She deactivated the alarm with one hand and scratched an itch on the side of her scalp with the other.

Deciding that she didn't feel like getting out of bed any time soon, she pondered how to get it out that she was in need of Oz's help while staying under the radar. Ultimately, she decided to send him a simple text message, and wondered why she hadn't thought to do that in the first place; it seemed like a much better idea than ambushing him outside school.

She fished out her address book - yes she still kept and address book under her mattress - and flipped through to the right cluster; her sources were very, very good. She entered the right number and composed her message:

Come to this address after school. You'll be safe. I have need of your abilities.

She entered her address, sent Oz the message, and flopped back over to fall back asleep.

Edited by Fangirl05

While the boy Odette had labeled Hermione had put his hand up first, several other students also gradually raised their arms. Odette was both pleased and surprised at this, she had been worrying she would be stuck with a bunch of small town hicks.

Hermione lowered his hand again and put his head down on his arms. Was he annoyed to find that he wasn't the only one who could answer a question? Well let him sulk, there were plently of other options to chose from.

Odette gestured to a shy looking boy who had a banadge on his arm. He lowered his hand and cleared his throat before speaking.

"Wasn't there one called Botticelli?" he said, looking unsure but hopeful about his answer.

"Sandro Botticelli" replied Odette with a nod. "His actual name was Alessandro di Mariano di Vanni Filipepi. His best known works include The Birth of Venus and Primavera. His use of light and shade captured a subject’s character and features, a technique that defined portraiture during the period. An example of this is in the painting Fortitude. Can anyone give me another artist?"

She looked around and this time selected a girl with green tinged hair.

"Yes?"

Edited by Fortune86

Sharon glanced toward Jacquelina before her crisp clear voice broke through the momentary silence. There were so many names being tossed around that it was all rather headache inducing. And to think they had barely even scratched the surface.

"There was one named Ghirlandaio?" The girl offered to their new teacher. Her emerald gaze met Odette's rather unsettling icy gaze. There was something more to the teacher. She knew that, but exactly what could that be? Her hands fell back into her lap, folding neatly together while she tilted her head toward her best friend. Jacquelina's lips parted in a smile as she bumped shoulders comfortingly with the other.