Fortune86

PLEASE CLOSE ~ DEAD

Kathy pulled the shredded paper packaging aside and pulled out a small black box. She laid it on her desk and opened it to reveal a small white tub, like a lady's moisturiser.

"Made from angel feathers apparently" Kathy said starting to unscrew the lid. "They have amazing defensive properties. The latest thinking is that if a vampire smears this on their skin it can help them withstand levels of sunlight they couldn't before. There are a lot of things that need checking first of course, and it has been difficult finding anyone willing to act as a test subject."

When she got the lid off the tub Kathy revealed a golden paste. She wrinkled her nose at the smell. It wasn't bad, just rather pungent. You wouldn't need her sense of smell to be able to tell if someone was wearing it.

Jeanette locked the door to her apartment and shrugged her shoulder to dismiss Solomon. Her gaze lingered on her computer and her eyebrow raised. Maybe there was something she could do to ease her mama's worry; there had to be some sort of anti-Slayer warding spell out there somewhere, right? Nothing dramatic, just something to make them uneasy and want to avoid the area, but that could be seen by other Supes?

Not even convinced she would find anything, she hunkered down in her chair for some serious research.

Zeditha was so surprised at the sudden smell (She had been leaning over it, to see) that she accidentally breathed a small jet of fire onto it. The smell changed, and became less potent. "Hmm," she said, conjuring an illusion of a fireball on her paw. "It seems that heat makes the smell nicer. Although..." The substance had become thick, like treacle. "Not something you really want to have on you any more..."

"...and now completely useless" sighed Kathy.

She stuck her finger into the 'paste' and then withdrew it to rub the substance between her finger and thumb. It stuck between her fingers and she blew on it to cool it down a little.

"We know it has reactions to strong temperatures. Too hot or too cold and it loses its potency. Not too much trouble for vampires in milder climates like Brookwood, although I doubt anyone has tried setting it on fire before.

Kathy grabbed the pot and walked over to the medical waste disposal bin. She put her foot on the bar at the bottom to flip the lid and dropped the tub inside.

Jacquelina's actions took Oz by surprise as she tore out a piece of paper and began to fold it in various places. For several seconds, Oz had no idea what she was up to, whether she was preparing for another game of sorts or if this was just one of her ways to blow off steam after a loss, regardless he looked on perplexed as she pulled out her marker.

As she handed him the finished product, Oz finally understood what she had been doing. Oz stared at the origami clown face, slightly confused by the whole thing. Was she trying to send him some sort of hidden message? Of everything she could have made, she made a face that had what appeared to be tears streaming down.

"Uh.. T-thanks.." stuttered Oz. If his assumptions were right, she was most likely a Fae, given her knack for illusions and if he was right, he would have to be wary around her. His parents often told him of how devious and tricky Fae's are and that they should be treated the same way one would treat a wild animal.

Oz would have to keep his guard up around this one. Who knows what she is planning.

“Ah good morning Mr. Neelson.” A woman spoke behind the desk at the schools reception. “So good to see you. How may I help you?”

“Good morning dear madam. I’m here to see the principal.” Damien spoke giving the young lady a charming smile.

“Oh you’ve just missed him.” She replied blushing slightly at the mayor.

“Mmm then my trip has been rather a waste. Never mind then I would be a little bit early for my next meeting then.”

“Oh such a pity sir. It would be nice if you could stay a bit longer.” The woman continued to flirt with the man.

Damien just smiled at the woman and just shook his head. He still has a couple things to do before the day is over and he had no time to flirt with young woman. Thou if his mother was here she would have insisted they should go out of dinner. His parents wanted him to find a partner but Damien was too relaxed to worry about such things.

“Mr. Mayor. I’m so glad to see you.” A man voice interrupted the two’s conversation. “I need your help for a bit sir.”

Damien looked at the man with his one eyebrow slightly lifted wondering what in the world he could help with at school this early in the morning. “Yes sure. What can I do?”

“Well see there is this one class with a couple of students that doesn’t really like following the rules. I believe you would recognise a couple of them. If you could just have a word with the class about the town’s rules then they might be a bit serious about it.”

“Of course that won’t be a problem. I’ve got a bit of time.”

With that Damien said his good bye to the receptionist and followed the man. The halls were silent and only their footsteps could be heard echoing down the empty hall. It was clear that school had started but in an hour or so the doors would burst open and children would be flooding out again to their next class.

“Here we go sir.” The man spoke opening a door to one of the classes.

Damien followed the man in without hesitation. The class had a mixed smell. One filled with supes and human. His eyes darted over the students recognizing some of the trouble makers, of course they were humans. Supes got rarely caught when it comes to things of the forrest but humans were always curious and returned even if they were warned.

“Morning class. Please take your seats, we have a guest this morning.” The man addressed the class waiting before he introduced the mayor.

The mixture of venomous emotions adorning the warlock's face was more than enough to satisfy the young fae. Amusement found the once bored creature as she met Oz's steely gaze. His once bone-chilling gaze was now crowded by confusion and worry. He was on his guard now, as was his right. She would have to find a way around that... All in good time, she reminded herself.

Had she known about his thoughts of his comparing her to a wild beast, she would not have been so gleeful. The warlock probably would have gained her wrathful vengeance, but lucky for him, reading minds was not her specialty.

The girl's melodious laughter spilled from Jacuqlina's lips and she slid from her seat to gather her things.

"Relax, silly caster. It's just a gift. I'm not going to bite... not too hard." Her tone was filled with captivating mirth as she leaned forward to fetch her backpack up.

"We'll have to play again sometime." With a graceful flick of her wrist, she swung the satchel over her shoulder and she took a step toward the door to join her friends in the next class.

Jeremiah smiled as he watched his sister finish the last of her soup. Smiling he leaned down and pulled the bowl away from her, gently placing it on the tray. Tilting his head slightly as he looked at her he leaned forward and wiped the corner of her mouth with a napkin.

Mayumi, his sister, recoiled as he did so then crossed her arms and proceeded to pout.

"I have a cold I'm not entirely incapable of wiping my mouth," She protested. Jeremiah grinned at her and placed the dirty napkin back on the tray.

"True, but if you'd done it you just would've wiped it off with your hand and gotten your sleeve dirty," He said. She turned away and continued to pout, which was quickly ruined when she let out a high pitched sneeze. Grinning Jeremiah held out a tissue towards her, she stubbornly took it and blew her nose.

"Well if you're good enough I guess I can leave you on your own," He said, standing up. She looked at him with shock and quickly grabbed his arm.

"But... I thought you were going to stay home to look after me?" She asked. Jeremiah shrugged.

"I was but you seem perfectly capable of looking after yourself," He cheerfully retorted.

"Bu-but what if I need to go to the bathroom?" She asked. Jeremiah looked her over than shrugged again.

"Your chair is right there," He pointed at the wheelchair sitting within arms reach of her bed.

"You know how to wheel yourself around," He continued. She angrily crossed her arms and accepted defeat. She looked up at him, giving her best puppy-dog look.

"What time will you be home?" She asked. Jeremiah smiled and gently placed his hand on her head.

"A little after school, they'll probably keep me in for a little while to make up for missing the early classes," He said, resound to accept his fate. Mayumi looked down. Jeremiah smiled and crouched down next to the bed.

"I'll try get home as soon as I can but if the teachers want me in detention there's nothing I could do about it," He said sincerely, grasping her hand.

"You can tell them you were looking after me! They've accepted that before!" She begged. Jeremiah let out a brief bark of laughter.

"Maybe so, but they could think I was using it as an excuse. A cold isn't bad enough to keep a student from school" He said. She sighed and lay down, pulling her sheets up to her neck.

"That's it, just get some sleep. I'll be home before you know it," He said, gently removing her glasses and placing them on the counter next to her.

Jeremiah walked out to the kitchen and deposited the tray and bowl in the dishwasher before he stepped outside and pulled out his phone. Seeing a missed called he quickly dialed the number and held it up to his ear as he began walking towards the school.

"Hello, this is Jeremiah. What is it I need to know?" He asked.

"A new member has just arrived, names Choi Woojoo. We want you to make contact, he's your superior like Jin so be respectful and learn from him, hes an experienced member," The voice said through the phone.

"Very well, I'll make contact once I have some free time, probably after school," He said.

"It is very important for you to meet him, can't it be now" The voice asked, in a tone that would suggest it was not up for debate.

"I'm not an adult who can go around to wherever he likes whenever he likes. The last time I went to meet someone on your orders during school time I got a harsh detention sentence, which is not something you want to get. I've made time for after school so that's when I will meet him," He sternly replied to the voice.

There was a brief moment of silence as the person on the other end debated this.

"Very well, I shall let Jin know that you won't be there at the desired meeting point, but you will have to suffer his anger as opposed to your teachers," The voice threatened. Jeremiah grinned.

"I understand, and I'm willing to bare the consequences of my actions. But between you and me those teachers scare me far more than Jin does," With that he hit the end call button and deposited his phone back into his pocket.

((Hooray I'm back, let me know if there's something wrong))

Well, big surprise: there was no digitally documented way to ward humans in general away from your property. Plenty on how to keep "monsters" away, though. How racist.

Jeanette sighed and ran a hand through the hair that she had let down, wondering what to do. Theoretically she could lie, just say that she'd found some way to keep Slayers out, but she dismissed it as soon as she thought of it. Her mother might not've left the cave even if she didn't believe her, but her father would be all over her house looking for the tiniest crack in her barriers. So that was a bust.

Maybe she should try talking to that kid Oz Vesuvius, or whatever his name was. He was a witch, right? Even if he couldn't do it himself, there was at least a chance he might know or know of someone who could cast a protective anti-Slayer spell.

She checked the clock. School had already started and wouldn't let out for several hours. With nothing conceivably better to do, she helped herself to some more raw beef and lay down for a post-flight nap, making sure to set the alarm on her phone for two-thirty so that she would have plenty of time to catch Oz.

((Call it a flight of fancy, but I kinda want a romance between Damien and Jeanette.))

Edited by Fangirl05

Zeditha cringed. "Sorry..." she said. "Sometimes I set stuff on fire without thinking about it. I keep planning to drop my fire magic and learn something else, but..." She turned herself into a fox and set herself on fire. The fire was blue, and she looked stunning. Then she dropped the illusions, and she was a not-on-fire dragon again. "I like being able to do that."

((Fangirl you don't need to double post. You can just edit that into your last post.))

"It's okay" said Kathy walking back over to her desk. "It's not the worst disaster I've faced. During the last flu season one of the younger witches lost control of their magic. Their parents had a hell of a time preventing the neighbours from noticing the raging storm going on inside the house. I know werewolves are resilient, but nobody likes getting struck by lighting when they are trying to take a temperature."

Sitting down she looked straight at the small fae.

"It must be nice to be able to change your appearance at will."

((I don't mind Fangirl... thou he will be playing hard to get xd.png

Vang, Drow I'm kinda waiting on you guys to react to Damien entering the class room))

Jacquelina's linked arms with one of the girl's about her human age and she smiled. They bantered back and forth about current happenings and who was dating whom. Shortly after, two boys joined their small posse and the girls smiled. Their conversation switched and the group made their way to the next class.

The four were rather well known throughout the school. They were all troublemakers, and all from different back grounds. The eldest, a boy named Travis at age 17, was from a well off family. He was popular among the girl with his sharp features, blue eyes, and blond locks. The second eldest was, of course, Jacquelina. Next was her best friend, Sharon was always seen by her side; they were practically inseparable. Her green hair, emerald eyes, and short stature made her and the fae stand out quite well in a crowd, but neither undesirable by the boys in the school. The youngest was a boy name Conner. He was taller than the girls, and he came from the orphanage, like Jacquelina. Their group was close-nit and full of fresh pranks each day. None bothered their group least they fall prey to their impish antics.

The children chose seats toward the back as usual. Each chattered back and forth until a man entered followed by another. The mayor... what was he doing here? Travis crooked a fine brow while glancing over at the others. What, in the name of blood, could he want?

Jeremiah looked up from his phone as the school came into view. According to the time most people would have moved onto their second class by now. He entered the building, noting the rather fancy car at the front gate.

Was that the new headmaster? He'd heard that they would be getting one soon. Shrugging to himself he entered the building and walked down the hallway to his class. There were still a few people busily gathering up their things from the break. He opened the door and walked through. He froze in place briefly as he saw the mayor standing at the front of the class. He raised his eyebrow briefly. That explains the car I guess... what could he be here for? His eyes glanced towards the seated students, a couple were looking at him strangely. He'd gotten that a lot since someone recorded a video of him practicing his fencing and released it to the public. Jeremiah ignored them and searched for a free seat.

Annoyingly the only one left was up the back, right in front of those annoying group of students who liked to irritate the others. Sighing he walked past the mayor, nodding briefly and dropped into the seat.

He could expect a lot of annoying antics for the rest of the lesson, even if the mayor would be there the whole class. Jeremiah was one who always managed to avoid them, mostly due to his overprotective nature towards Mayumi he had made sure to keep her away from others during the breaks. Now that he was forced near them he hoped that his reactions would be up to the speed to catch one of them in the midst of something. He pulled open a book and placed it on the desk. He'd have to go to Mayumi's teacher later and get the days notes, he obsessed with making sure she got proper education.

A class in front of these people and then most of the break gathering up notes from classes. Jeremiah sighed with resignation.

((Let me know if there are problems))

"Aye.." replied Oz, as the fae left the room. He leaned down and picked up his bags, in the process before he too left the classroom, heading in the opposite direction of where Jacquelina and her friends went.

Despite being in the same class for attendance, they had separate classes. As he was halfway towards his next class, a suited figure strolled passed him. It wasn't immediate, but Oz soon stopped and looked back.

"Is that.. the mayor?... What is he doing here..?" pondered Oz, turning around and following the Mayor. As the mayor entered a class, Oz stood against one of the walls and focused in on the door, reciting a small incantation. Within seconds he could hear the chatter coming from that class room. He knew that the Mayor was no ordinary human, his father filling him on the details.

That man waited while the class settled down before he took a step back and looked at the mayor. “They’re all yours.” The man spoke.

“Thank you.” Damien smiled at the class but stared at them in silence for a bit, getting familiar with the faces. But his smile didn’t last long. His expression changed into a somewhat terrifying stare. Some of the students were whispering while others hid behind their book.

“Well now.” He finally spoke after several minutes of silence. “I have been told that in this class there is quite a bit of trouble makers.” He slowly moved infront of the class until he found a row he wanted to walk down.

“And I have been asked to talk to you about these...” Damien was walking down one of the rows when he came to a stop by a boy who was drawing in his book and not paying attention. “... Troubling matters.” With those words he took the book from out under the boy’s pencil. The boy got a quick fright and looked up at Damien knowing that he was in trouble. Damien gave a quick look at the picture, some sort of plant monster, before closing the book and placing it back on the boy’s desk giving him a stern look.

“Two main troubles seem to be bullying and going into the forest.” Damien then continued to walk until he reached the back of the class. “Now I know you might wonder why would the mayor talk to you about such things?” His gaze fell upon Jacquelina knowing all too well who she is and her abilities. “Well see this is my town and I tend to see that everyone is safe. Even you troublemakers. You all know that bullying is wrong and you all know what the punishment is if caught in the act. A day of hard labour in the mines seems such a small punishment but oh well that punishment was placed by the old headmaster and I’m not planning to scrap that off the list.” Damien smiled knowing all too well that working in the mines isn’t some game. The older men didn’t really care much as long as you worked like a dog. Damien soon began to move between the desks looking at the some of the books the students had open before them.

“Now the trouble about going into the woods... You all know the dangers but it seems I have to refresh your memory. As you know long ago before Brookwood was considered a town the people here set up traps. You know the basic hunting and protecting from predators but the people back then set up so many traps they couldn’t remember where they all were placed. Which, till this day caused people to fall in these traps and die.” Damien bent down from behind a boy who he knows goes regularly into the forest. “Now you don’t want to get caught in one of these traps, do you? Falling in to a pit with spikes, ready to pierce you little body, leaving you to die a horrible death.”

“N-no sir.” The boy spoke shivering as Damien spoke in his ear.

Damien straightened himself and made his way to the door. He quickly opened it revealing an Oz listening to the conversation.

“I take you all understand me?” He spoke in whole to the class and to Oz.

Zeditha smiled, and made different coloured stripes run down her body from her nose to her tail. Then she included her fox disguise as part of her stripes, and then different colours of fur. After a minute, she stopped; it was hard work. "It's fun," she answered. "And quite useful for no being noticed. Unless someone around can smell me, which is exceedingly uncommon in humans. normal humans that is, werewolves like you obviously have better senses of smell."

Jacquelina shot her friend, Sharon, an amused smile at the mention of troublemakers.

None of her group bullied others. They weren't that stupid, but they didn't exactly go out of their way to put an end to it. However, the woods were a different matter. There were several decent hangouts, and she didn't mind the solitary away from the chaotic life of the humans.

The fey's cherry-red lips twisted into a barely visible smirk as she met the mayor's gaze. It was rather amusing that another Supe spoke of safety, especially a werewolf. She had heard plenty of their species. They were anything but safe to be around. But of course he took his job seriously least anyone suspect him. Her gaze followed the mayor's movements across the room. He certainly was an imposing figure. It sent chills down her spine to think that he could snap any of the human's in half in an instant.

When the door had opened, she held back a small laugh as the lurking warlock was revealed. Her mumbled 'yessir' fell in with the other muttered acknowledgements...just to keep up appearances. With a bored expression, she turned back to her friends. Whispers filled the assembly room as they discussed the mayor's speech and her friend's were no different.

Zeditha smiled, and made different coloured stripes run down her body from her nose to her tail. Then she included her fox disguise as part of her stripes, and then different colours of fur. After a minute, she stopped; it was hard work. "It's fun," she answered. "And quite useful for no being noticed. Unless someone around can smell me, which is exceedingly uncommon in humans. normal humans that is, werewolves like you obviously have better senses of smell."

Kathy chuckled.

"Which isn't always a good thing, believe me. Humans can be smelly creatures at the best of times and as a doctor I often see them at their worst. It doesn't help that some people in this village will wait a few weeks before deciding to have that oozing sore on their leg checked out."

Kathy found she was quite enjoying talking to Zeditha. Fae rarely came down with problems that would need human medicines to treat. They were such great healers themselves that they didn't need to have much interaction with her. This conversation was a rare treat.

"I'll have to go out on my rounds soon. You can come along if you like. I can point out a few 'friendly' faces."

Jeremiah rested his head in his hand as he listened to the mayors speech. Personally he though it was a very stupid speech. The mayor was a publicly elected point of office and it wasn't a very smart way of gathering future voters by walking around intimidating them. He chuckled briefly as he saw one of the guys from another class looking in through the door.

"What did you think of that Miah?" A voice asked. Jeremiah looked up to see his friend Matthew leaning over from the chair in front of him.

"I think it was a pretty pointless speech, what about you?" Jeremiah asked.

"Ehh, I thought it was pretty freaky. Don't know how he got elected acting like that. Did you see that guy he took the book from, he was freaking out!" Matthew exclaimed. Jeremiah's eyes briefly darted over to the boy and he couldn't suppress the grin on his face.

"True, but all you need to do is behave responsibly and you have nothing to fear really," Jeremiah said. Matthew nodded at that and tapped his pen to his mouth.

"You just got here didn't you? Why were you late? Something happen to Mayumi?" Matthew of course new about Mayumi and it amused him greatly how much Jeremiah doted on her.

"Yeah, she has a cold so I made sure she'd be alright before leaving," He replied.

"Wow, if I were you I just would've taken the whole day off... I hate school," Matthew sighed. Jeremiah chuckled.

"Hey I wouldn't miss a history lesson, we're learning about the renaisance era this term aren't we?" He asked, his voice filling with excitement. Matthew let out another sigh.

"I never heard of someone so enthusiastic about history before... history, math, you have a weird taste in favourite subjects don't you?" He asked mockingly.

"But I suppose for a mighty warrior learning about your own times wouldn't be too bad!" Matthew said loudly. Jeremiah's excited grin quickly turned to a frown and he leaned back in his chair.

"Don't tell me you saw that video as well? Were you the one who filmed it?" Jeremiah asked, to which Matthew quickly shook his head.

"Good... and I don't get why you say 'my' time. Fencing is an Olympic sport," Jeremiah said.

"Oh is that where you're planning to go? Gonna have Mayumi participate in the Paralympics while you compete in the standard ones?" Matthew teased. Jeremiah rolled his eyes.

"She wanted me to stay home so I could wheel her to the bathroom when she needed it, and you think she could participate in the Paralympics, she's far to delicate for things like that. And no I don't want to go to the olympics, I just want to justify that its a modern sport not just a medieval one," Jeremiah said, crossing his arms and closing the conversation. With a shrug Matthew turned back around as the chatter began to die down.

((Hope that's fine)

Zeditha smiled. "Dragons don't have a bad sense of smell either," she said. "Luckily I tend to be around humans when they aren't that ill, although I tend to curl up on the bed whenever a small 'owner' is a little ill. Normally they end up 'ill' when they're nearly finished. But the messes they cover themselves in sometimes..." She wrinkled her nose. "There was a baby in a house I lived in once. Never making that mistake again..."

Kathy chuckled again, but the comment about the baby hit a minor nerve. As a child Kathy had always assumed she would have a large family, but the moment she became a werewolf that was no longer a real possibility. Children, especially young ones, needed taking care of 24/7, and what use was a parent that was locked up in the basement as soon the sun went down? The only way a werewolf could have a child was if the child was a werewolf too, and who would turn a mere babe, even if they could be sure they would not slaughter it in their beastly state? No, it was far too dangerous, and therefore a dream that would forever remain unrealised.

"Well I have to get a move on" she said aloud standing up. "It was nice to meet you. I hope you can call in again."

~~~~

Odette checked her reflection in the wing mirror, brushing a few strands of hair back into place. She had gone with a sort of silvery blue dye this time, thinking it really brought out the colour in her eyes. What her natural hair colour had been she couldn't really remember, she had changed her appearance so many times over the years her original style was lost to memory.

Straightening up she adjusted her necklace and picked up her shoulder bag. It was annoying that she was running late on her first day, but the roadworks had created a longer traffic jam than she had thought they would. Hooray for mobile phones. One of the best inventions humans had come up.

Knowing that the school secretary would be looking out for her Odette walked up the school drive and was pleased to see the woman was waiting for her. She must have seen her pull up.

"Miss Durant" greeted the secretary. "I'm so glad I caught you. I was just about to run into town for more printing paper. You remember the way to the classroom? I have told the staff that you are running a bit late."

"I do" said Odette taking the secretary's hand and giving it a quick shake. "Sorry about that, the road was backed up futher than I had planned. Thankfully I'll be moving out of the hotel tonight and into my house so I'll be a lot closer tomorrow."

The secretary nodded and grinned. "Sorry to abandon you right now but I must get these reports done before lunch."

"Go, go" chuckled Odette. "I'll be okay."

She waved the woman on and then walked into the school building. She took the first left and headed towards her new classroom.

Damien could hear what some of the students whispered and he took note on which said what. Those who didn’t agree with him tend to be new comers or slayers. It was no surprise that slayers were raised to hunt them down from a young age thus why he needed to take note who says what and does what.

He looked at the student before him knowing the boy. He had met him once or twice and he was familiar was his scent. When the class acknowledged to his question Damien moved out leaving the class and the teacher behind. The werewolf merely strolled down the hall by his own, pleased how he addressed the class.

Suddenly Damien stopped in his tracks when his senses detected something new. He could hear footsteps and with it a new scent. “This is something new.” He whispered to himself as he sniffed the air. “Let’s see who you are.” He whispered again as he started to follow the scent. It was at a T-junction in the hallway when the person came into view. He kept his eyes as the woman came closer not moving from his spot where he had spotted her. A new supe could be a good or a bad thing now would be a good time to see what is the intentions of this woman.

Oz gulped and nodded silently. He knew not to mess with a werewolf... much less in his current state. Simply abiding by his rules now would be the best case scenario, however that was not to say that he could not gather information whilst the mayor was here.

As the mayor left the class and headed down the corridor, Oz ducked into the nearby boys toilet and entered one of the cubicles. Once sat down, he quickly recited a long winded incantation, immediately feeling the much larger drain of energy. It was a spell he was still rather new at, only learning it within the last month.

Oz clenched his eyes shut as the spell took effect.

((Hey, any Slayers out there wanna kill Jeanette's parents? They're NPCs and I feel like inflicting some trauma on my RP character for some reason.))