TJ09

2014-06-27 - Encyclopedia Beta Update

Are Frills/Bright Pinks in the encyclopedia?

Well, it's an Encyclopedia after all, there are all sort of breeds in there wink.gif

Edited by Helel

Have some alts for inspecting! (and two Rosa Krause pinks descended from frills and old pinks, so see them as well. Oh, and many of my unnamed mints are from frills)

I don't have that many, not even more than 10 of each, but I have a few rares like Golden wyverns and shimmer scales. My scroll is in my sig if any testers needs it.

Well, it's an Encyclopedia after all, there are all sort of breeds in there wink.gif

Is there a good way to write rhetorical question on the internet?

After a worrying post in TLQ - nothing about the encyclopaedia actually affects PLAY, does it ?

I assume the only thing it does is encourage users to either raise more dragons or view other people's dragons (even both).

No, the encyclopedia so far, doesn't seem to have anything going for it that would change game play (other than encouraging me to stockpile certain hatchys, because the people who hoard those breeds don't have enough hatchys for me to unlock certain things tongue.gif)

Ā 

Ā 

For the most part, its pretty straightforward. You can choose to raise things if you like the challenge of having them unlocked by your own scroll's stats.. or you can click around other peoples dragons to learn more about the breeds you dont have enough of, or have no interest in collecting (takes more work though). Some breeds are much, much harder than others. Its obvious its meant to be unlocked over time, but, if you are crazy dedicated.. you can get through things quickly.

Ā 

Ā 

After a worrying post in TLQ - nothing about the encyclopaedia actually affects PLAY, does it ?

Ā 

No.

Ā 

Encyclopedias are collections of information that you can refer to if you want to learn more about an item contained within that encyclopedia.

Ā 

The impact of the new Encyclopedia will have about as much impact on actual gameplay as the DragCave Wiki. It's a feature for fun and curiosity only.

Hmm... Sort of like the holiday events (events! not dragons!) we have had in the past, but without a limit on time or availability to complete or participate, and other people will never see your view/progress (unless you screenshot, of course). It's not difficult, it's not a mystery on what to do next, it's not a headache or a speed trial, it's just for fun.

Ā 

If you decide you love the Encyclopedia and want to use everything about it, your gameplay doesn't have to change in any way provided you are a patient and curious person. Of course, if you want to change the way you do things, that's a different matter. tongue.gif

Ā 

Ā 

From what I know of you from your forum activities already, fuzzbucket, you'll be fine. smile.gif

Will it affect my play much? I don't mind people clicking my adults or frozen hatchlings, but I really don't want clicks on my growing babies. I do as much as I realistically can to protect them, will it be harder to protect them?

Ā 

(I do have a couple hundred frozen hatchlings on the last couple of pages of my scroll, if that will help anyone.)

Will it affect my play much? I don't mind people clicking my adults or frozen hatchlings, but I really don't want clicks on my growing babies. I do as much as I realistically can to protect them, will it be harder to protect them?

Ā 

(I do have a couple hundred frozen hatchlings on the last couple of pages of my scroll, if that will help anyone.)

You may want to be extra cautious in the beginning when the feature is newly released, for prudence sake? And click sites will get more clicks, too.

But I don't see any long-term impact if you've already been taking precautions not to get clicks...

I imagine that we will all have some abnormal views for awhile, but if you treat this things release, like you would any holiday even, it will be fine. Just keep an eye on your babies, and if you want to limit how many people are digging through your scroll, hide the adults tongue.gif

Ā 

I generally keep my scroll hidden, but have left it open recently, and once this thing actually is released, I'll probably be more fog happy for awhile.

Ā 

Unrelated: I would love to see an option to hide eggs and unfrozen hatchlings (leaving adults and frozens viewable) happen at some point, that way growing things wont be at risk for more views than normal.. but that hope isnt directly related to the encyclopedia. I think of it more as a security matter.. helpful during holidays, and for those people who have stupidly popular dragon (prize cbs...) who dont want it advertised that they have bred successfully.

No.

Ā 

Encyclopedias are collections of information that you can refer to if you want to learn more about an item contained within that encyclopedia.

Ā 

The impact of the new Encyclopedia will have about as much impact on actual gameplay as the DragCave Wiki. It's a feature for fun and curiosity only.

Hmm... Sort of like the holiday events (events! not dragons!) we have had in the past, but without a limit on time or availability to complete or participate, and other people will never see your view/progress (unless you screenshot, of course). It's not difficult, it's not a mystery on what to do next, it's not a headache or a speed trial, it's just for fun.

Ā 

If you decide you love the Encyclopedia and want to use everything about it, your gameplay doesn't have to change in any way provided you are a patient and curious person. Of course, if you want to change the way you do things, that's a different matter. tongue.gif

Ā 

Ā 

From what I know of you from your forum activities already, fuzzbucket, you'll be fine. smile.gif

Thanks smile.gif You see - there was a post in TLQ saying there were three gold eggs in every biome and a betatester said it MIGHT have had something to do with the encyclopaedia... blink.gif

Ā 

so.... ninja.gif

Thanks smile.gif You see - there was a post in TLQ saying there were three gold eggs in every biome and a betatester said it MIGHT have had something to do with the encyclopaedia...Ā  blink.gif

Ā 

so.... ninja.gif

Yeah, I saw that post, and I have NO idea where that idea came from.

Ā 

Maybe there's some magic button I can push somewhere to get a cave/scroll full of CB golds...? xd.png

Ā 

Seriously, whatever that was, it wasn't the Encyclopedia.

Yeah, I saw that post, and I have NO idea where that idea came from.

Ā 

Maybe there's some magic button I can push somewhere to get a cave/scroll full of CB golds...? xd.png

Ā 

Seriously, whatever that was, it wasn't the Encyclopedia.

^ Anytime something odd goes on in the cave, first guess is always that TJ is testing some new feature, so I'm not surprised that came up, but yes, I don't even know where to begin guessing how/why the encyclopedia would have anything to do with that. Usually any odd things are just a small hiccup in the site. :3

Ā 

You mean this magic button, SolarCat? =o

Sock: The user (who wasn't a beta tester, by the way) was probably speculating that testers were collecting more eggs so that they could raise eggs to unlock things rather than click them. At least, that's what I would assume they meant, since the screenshot shows that's one way to unlock things, and TJ may have wanted them to test it. Of course, since you're a mod and thus beta testing, you probably already know whether or not growing items are needed already, so I should probably stop rambling :P

No, beta testers are not getting free cb metals to test things. Why would they? Its already been mentioned that things can be unlocked simply by seeing other peoples scrolls.

Ā 

Encyclopedia Draconica. Endraglopedia. Encyclopedia Dragonian. Draclopedia.

Ā 

Hopefully after all the species info is publically released, user descriptions will not be policed in an overly strict manner. Canon stuff is fun, but I'd still like to be able to write bizarre personalities for my dragons without too much restriction.

Before I get excited over this, I must ask...

How accessible is it?

I mean, I'm assuming it is mainly text-based which should be fine for me as a visually impaired user, but will I have to worry about having problems with some part of it because of images or whatnot?

Before I get excited over this, I must ask...

How accessible is it?

I mean, I'm assuming it is mainly text-based which should be fine for me as a visually impaired user, but will I have to worry about having problems with some part of it because of images or whatnot?

As someone who is not visually impaired (beyond needing really weak contacts), this is difficult to answer accurately, but I do not think you will have major problems. I can think of one thing that may be more difficult for you but should not make this impossibe. And there is another aspect that I think may actually benefit you.

If anyone needs to click adult Olives, I have 162 for ya. I can temporarily sort my scroll by breed if it will help ya. Just send me a PM to let me know.

Not to nag but... do we have any word from TJ when he figures all the squishy bugs will be crushed and the Encyclopedia ready for public use? Sorry once again, i am not trying to nag. Just excited about this, actually and wondering how it is going.

Not sure it's possible to really give an ETA for that... if not a lot of bugs are found I imagine it won't be too long, but if there's a lot it could take months...