Pixxelation

Slightly Relax IRC Rules

FYI, "OMG" is an acronym for "Oh my God" and therefore should be in all caps.

I am pretty sure I know what OMG means and there is no internet rule that says it should be in all caps, but thanks anyway. I almost always use "Omg".

Flamingo: I think what CNR means is that it's proper grammar for acronyms to be spelled with all or mostly capital letter. Therefore, if one is speaking with proper grammar, they will spell it that way. However, the Internet is a place where many people do not use full sentences and correct mechanics, so it's not necessary, but it definitely should not be counted as an all caps word. In addition, saying that caps usage is a matter of age and responsibility is completely false. I've seen many responsible adults who use all caps on a regular or semi-regular basis, including several DC moderators. It's simply a matter of preference on the Internet.

Hellen: I agree that full conversations in all caps shouldn't be allowed in main, and I never said I wanted that. In the OP, I made it quite clear that I only think the rule should be slightly relaxed, as it is on the forums--caps use is very widespread here, and I've seen many users use them.

Language:

Yes, this one can be a bit funny. I generally dont mind running things through a translator, to get a feel for what was said, however, since I dont speak any other languages fluently, I dont really have much to go on for context. I personally don't have issues with a line or two of non-english, but prefer when there is some kind of a translation available. The language I frequently use, has NO translator, which means that if I were to use it, mods would have to trust me when I say "this is within rules", which isn't exactly fair to them. I would rather see quit messages and everything STAY english only, as that is the predominant language spoken here on the forums, in the game itself, and in the chat. People are completely welcome to create channels though where anything they want, goes. But the official channels, have to stay English only, in order to keep things on level ground with the game itself, and the forum.

We occasionally will get people who don't have enough of a grasp on English to understand how things work. I tend to not have an issue with other languages being used long enough to find someone who can translate, and have them pull them into a PM. If its obvious that is what is going on, I'm sure the other mods would have no issue with it either. Having such a wide base of users worldwide helps out quite a bit in that regard.

Caps:

We have talked this one to the ground. It will be a lot more relaxed than it has been, but its going to take us some time to get used to. Since we all use different sized windows, how much space is taken up by caps is a little different for each of us, but we have been playing around with it a bit, to get a feel for it. The caps rule IS going to stay in place, there will not be walls of cap spam allowed, but, a line or two here and there, wont be a problem. Multiple (longer) lines worth of caps, will still get poked and warned as needed. It still will NOT be bannable, unless someone is purposely abusing them (ignoring multiple warns, writing book length or multiple lines of shorter sentences and such WILL still earn a ban, if its needed). (Lines in this case being when you hit enter.)

A rough guide for how long a line of all caps could be, would be the length of a forum address (this forum obviously), if you were to paste it into chat. Not a hard limit, but length wise, thats probably about right. Roughly 80 characters worth of spaces and words.

"Spam":

Multiple people posting the silly little "chat" faces as their entire message is spammy. Sure, seeing Kirby danging around on the screen is funny sometimes.. and some of the faces people come up with are pretty cute.. but they do not add anything to the conversation when they are done by themselves. I try not to say anything until 2 or 3 lines worth have been said.. I do the exact same thing when it comes to people using multiple 1-3 word lines to get a single sentence out. I know sometimes, entire conversations will happen where people are going back and forth with short sentences.. but taking multiple lines of chat to get a thought out that could have all been done on one line, annoys users and mods alike, especially when it is busy.

I tend to get a bit fussy when people are posting tons of pics. On my old client, I had to manually open each link, to check content, because my client didnt show the pics. Being on mibbit now, those pics do show up, most of the time, however, theres not always warning of what you are about to look at. I am the same way with youtube links as well. As long as people are posting a line explaining what the pic/link is along with their images, I've been trying not to say anything, unless users are complaining about the number of pics.

Ages: (isnt relevant, just pointing something out)

While we do have /some/ younger users, it seems to me that most of the regulars are 15+. We have some younger ones in there, a good number of people fall between 15 and 25.. but we do have some people that are well into their 60s and 70s that hang out as well. I know I tend to be a little stricter about things when i KNOW there is a younger player in the chat (you have been around when my kids are in there...or when the occasional 8-12 year old shows up), until I have a feel for how they are going to handle themselves in chat.

Edited by Thuban

Yay, thanks Thu (and the other IRC staff, of course)! I'm very glad that our feedback was taken into account. Those changes seem more than reasonable, and I don't think any problems will arise from them.

FYI, "OMG" is an acronym for "Oh my God" and therefore should be in all caps.

Agreed and I never mod acronyms. I chuckle when people lowercase LOL to lol in appology for capsing it. Don't it's fine. ALthough I may raise a Brow at this - which I have done.... but not in IRC as far as I recall. BRB ASAP OK But I probably would not moderate it. Probably someone forgot the pan was on the stove and it was catching fire.

so we have a guide line now for caps which I have dubbed the rule of Peter. I will follow it. But what it seems to me, or how some of the mods perceive spam myself included will depend on how large their chat box is.

My IRC area is full screen which is 20 inches across with 19 dedicated to chat. Most of the Discussion is within the first 7 inches of that screen. Most discussion is on one line.

For the Next mod, they may have a much smaller screen and what is one sentence for me, may be two or three for them.

We have been given a guide, at least and seen it on our particular modding environments. I have a tape measure handy to have measured it so I can use that as a guide at least - give or take, if I start getting hazy on how long, I can refresh my memory.

I do have a very difficult time in reading All capsed sentences in a similar manner I have a difficult time reading jammed together words.

In regards to languages. Most simple greetings are okay. Most of us use simple greetings in various languages. When it involves help with homework for languages, best to take that to PM. Otherwise, and I stand by it. I don't know if you are telling the mods, users or their mothers to get stuffed. If you are in an english channel then speak the language of that channel. If I were to go to an Afrikaans channel, I would expect to participate in that language. If you wish to hold a conversation in german, french, dutch, aztec, PM or join a channel for it.

I am a proactive moderator. I will ask for things to tone down because, from my experiences, I have seen it get out of hand. I do this so chat can remain largely peaceful. This is my mode of moderation and my standard of moderation. Others may wait until something happens. I would rather not have irc disrupted and become unpleasant. So if I am moderating or actively chatting, that is what to expect.

Like Star, I am proactive on certain topics (religion, current news, "trigger" topics like animal abuse and others). I would rather ask a sensitive discussion to move to another channel, than have to mod what could probably be a pretty awesome debate/conversation when not bound by #dc chat specific rules. Other things.. i tend to prefer and sit back and wait to see if there is a problem. It really depends on how busy chat is, how many people are participating in said topic, and whether other users are complaining (publically or in pm).

Other languages can be a major issue. I well recall an obscenely rude post on this forum in Dutch. It was EXTRAORDINARILY vile - and I reported it complete with translation. But only people understanding Dutch would have realised how perfectly appalling it was as a post. IRC moves so fast that would be very awkward. I don't see how other languages can be allowed, therefore.