DragonKami

Close Calls?

Lets see....hmmm.....I've broken my coller bone twice, the same one each time, I slipped on some black ice back in jan or feb, and when I was little I scraped almost all the top skin off my right knee.

Not much next to everyone else, but I am younger than most of you, so it makes sense.

I've had two Tvs fall on my head xd.png Once when I was about 4 climbing on things I slipped I don't know how I knocked the tv on me but I did and the second time I don't remember tongue.gif

Weird thing is I only have 1 scar because they both hit the same spot O.o

I was doing acrobatic stuff like a cool person, you know flips jumping over houses and stuff. (Hanging on a pole twelve feet above ground...) Then my legs lost their grip and I almost broke my and my dogs neck. (He was below me.) Luckily I caught the pole with my hands before slipping.

Today I was riding in the car with my mom on the highway. There was someone stopped on a side road, and instead of waiting for us to pass they pulled out while our car was right there, and my mom just barely managed to swerve into the other lane to miss the collision. We were lucky, because there was a semi truck behind us in the other lane, and if it had been next to us we would have been pushed into it by the guy who almost hit us. :c It was really scary, anyway, and I feel really lucky that I'm safe at home instead of at the hospital or something....

When I was only a few days old I contracted a deadly virus that was incurable at the time. Mortality rates were very high. At the same hospital I was being treated at, another kid my age contracted the virus and ended up passing away:( Somehow or another I beat the virus and it never affected me in any way

Oh boy, let's go at this chronologically.

When I was around 1 year old I suffered from both a bad case of tonsillitis that closed up my throat almost completely, and some kind of issue with my nutritional uptake. I almost starved and/or choked to death before I had my tonsils surgically removed and they figured out what was wrong with the nutritional uptake.

Another time, I almost drowned on vacation in the sea of the coast of southern Spain. I got swept up in a strong wave and pulled under by the streams. I had just learnt to swim, so that didn't help much, but luckily the stream went towards land instead of out to sea so I got a firm enough grip to crawl ashore before being pulled out again.

A funny thing is, I am now a great swimmer.

Yet later, in the mountains, I jumped off an icy overhang in the precise moment before it cracked and fell into the fissure below.

Then, one time I was out fishing alone in my boat and long story short, it suddenly got very windy and that pushed me overboard, and the wind pushed the boat over me. I think I would have ended up stuck underwater under the boat if I had not worn a life vest. I gripped the edge of the boat and eventually we floated to a place shallow enough that I found a rock underneath my feet, which I used to push myself up and into the boat again.

Curiously, I have gone back to that place several times since then and I haven't been able to locate that rock.

Another time yet again, I was driving home in very bad weather. It was snowy and freezing cold to the point that there was a kind of extremely thick icy fog (I don't think there's an english word for it) out on the roads, I couldn't see any more than a few meters in front of the car. I knew there were other cars ahead of me, but the fog was so thick that I couldn't even see their tail lights.

Anyway, suddenly the truck in front of me had slowed down and turned towards a pick-up place for busses on the side of the road. Thing is, there was still a fair bit of the truck out on the road, and I couldn't see it until it was just in front of me. I was driving slow because of the weather, but I just barely missed crashing into it by turning further out into the street, where my car started slipping on the ice and I ended up on the lane going in the opposite direction.

By pure flipping' luck there was no meeting traffic and the car behind me made it out fine as well, but they too were soooo close to crashing into either me or the truck.

Just about a year ago, I was out snowmobiling with my family. I was driving one of the snowmobiles, I had my mom sitting behind me and we had a trailer with luggage dragging behind.

Anyway, we had to cross a frozen lake, which is always a bit risky because often you can't quite tell how thick the ice is or if there is actually rifts of open water with snow on top. The solution is to drive where you can see that other people have driven over, those tracks are often safe. The tricky thing is to stay on these tracks because they are icy and slippery. Well, that happened. I accidentally slipped off the tracks and I felt us starting to slow down even though I hadn't lightened my grip on the accelerator. Meaning, we were in water and might break through the ice.

This is a pretty scary situation and often your immediate instinct is to panic "No! Stop!", but that's not what you're supposed to do, that's when you get stuck and might go through the ice. Luckily I had enough clarity of mind to do precisely what you're supposed to do in that kind of situation: speed up. Hug the accelerator like it's your childhood pet that you're never going to see again, and try to get back on the tracks.

I raced across the lake and up on the other side, and when we looked back we saw a lot of water in the tracks I had left behind, and the entire vehicle and me and mom were almost covered in slush, but we made it out alright.

Edited by Ripan

Well, recently I had a rather scary one. I was driving down the highway through the left lane. I was trying to overpass this annoying van that had decided to stuck itself in the center lane at my same speed. I was managing to leave it behind when, at the upper part of a slope, I saw the traffic had completely stopped. I didn't have time to brake, driving as I was at 100 km/h (speed limit in that highway). I don't even know how I did it, I checked both center and right lane, saw I might have enough space to avoid the collision and took my chances. I swerved right, pushed the accelerator and managed to get away from the traffic by driving straight to the right lane which was very clean. Why was the left lane full of cars and the right one clean? Because people in my country drive like..., constantly blocking the mid lane as if there was nobody else driving through the road.

Gosh, I was trembling after that.

It's a good thing I've got over 200,000 km of driving experience and I'm a very cold, calculating driver, not getting nervous in bad situations like this one. Otherwise I might have slammed head first against the traffic at full 100 km/h.

About six years ago my stepdad was picking me up from work, and we were in the lane to turn left. A huge semi truck was in the next lane, but then it started turning left, and it crashed into us. For a few terrifying moments the truck just kept turning, squeezing against our car more and more, and I felt like it was going to squash us. The truck finally stopped, but I was so shaken up I had to run back to work to get some water so I could take an anxiety pill.

Blood mentioned:

I worked on helicopters in the Navy and one night the rotor head wouldn't fold. It involves the blades rotating back and locking over the tail to save space on a Navy ship. I forget just why, but we had to get the helicopter folded so it would fit in the hanger and everyone was rushing because we were the last ones on the flight deck.

I'm on top of the helio and started to use a bolt to make the stuck blade release, when the ship rocks kinda hard and i fall on the wrench, popping the release and the blades start to fold.

I climb down and the other crew members see a dark streak and get mad because they think its a leak that we would have to fix before we could be done. But its not oil, its blood.

there is a weird moment where everyone is like O_o then look at me. I was on top, its dripping down, it must be mine. My hand/wrist hurts from falling so i roll up my (very dirty) sleeve and see a nasty cut from the base of my thumb diagonal across my wrist.

I don't like blood and fainted, but until I saw it, I just thought I had bruised or jammed it. Just an owww, I got stuff to do, take care of it later, sort of ouch.

I had to get 14 stitches and missed the vein by a very very small amount.

user posted image

Any questions?

I've had a couple.

One time I was about to walk my dog, and since we live on a hill, our driveway is sloped. Walking down, my dad suddenly opens our front door and yells "Don't go yet, your mom's backing out of the driveway and she never looks behind her while she does that!". I step to the side, and my mom appears, her expression changing to shock as she notices me. If my dad hadn't warned me, I might've been run over.

Another time, I had this really inappropriate video open on my kindle fire (I had accidentally clicked it when my parents called me to dinner). When I was coming back after dinner, my mom came into the room just as I had opened my kindle again, and I tried to cover the kindle so she didn't see, which was extremely stupid since I could've just closed the video. She saw and took it from me, and when I checked outside my room they were watching the video to see what it was. (They're extremely overprotective and can be very intimidating) It took forever to explain and to this day I still think they thought I had watched it intentionally. Fortunately, I got away without even being grounded.

I nearly choked to death on a peice of candy, then I showed the candy who's boss and ate it after I coughed it back out. I remember my throat was soar the next day.

Tuberculosis as a baby then caught Whooping Cough at the same time. spent 2 of my first 4 yrs in a TB hospital.

At age 12 I almost drowned in a pool and the life guard pulled me out.  Later taught me to swim...

At 13, I was hit by a speeding car driven by a drunk driver.  In a coma for 3 days, spent a month in the hospital and almost had my left arm amputated at the elbow.  Was taught at home          by a visiting teacher for the next semester..

In the Navy, had a 5" diameter powder case eject from the gun, but the powder was still burning.  A loud BANG and all of us were stunned..  Others thought we were all dead...

While on the same ship, I had to remove live 5" diameter rockets that had misfired from the HOT (rocket flames were abt 1400 degrees) tubes that they were in,  reaching into the tube and removing the fuse, then attaching a ring-plug with a line on it and pulling it out, then carrying the live rocket to the side of the ship and tossing it overboard.  The guy I was helping was clad in a full asbestos-suit...  Me?  I was in dungaree cutoffs and a t-shirt.  I did this many times..

Shot at 5 times while working security jobs after the Navy.  

Driving school bus in Palos Verdes hills, lost my brakes due to a faulty hose.  fully loaded brand new bus.

in 2016, 6 months in hospital for a massive internal infection following a small kidney cancer removed.

I'm now 71 and planning on my first tandem-parachute jump at the same time as my oldest son...  Looking forward to it   My friend in town wants to see me jump.  He wants to see how high I'll bounce!!!  nice guy, lol.

Oh, yeah, I survived 27 years of marriage and three kids (love'm), now have 20 grandkids (including step and half-bro/sisters, love them ALL!)

Nothing devastating has happened to me but once I swam under a rubber boat that my brother was rowing and kind of struggled to get away. I'm not sure how close I would've been to drowning but I had a huge need to get some air again.

On 4/22/2016 at 9:41 AM, Kestra15 said:

user posted image

Any questions?

None at all.  The worst accident I did first aid at was when a Honda Accord ran into the back of a semi trailer slowly pulling into a CHP inspection on Valentine's Day 1990.  The bottom of the trailer had hit just below the top of the windshield and hit the woman's head. I did what I could, but in this case I think she was already gone.  The body was just going thru death throes. (uneven pulse and breathes, etc...  It was estimated that she had been doing at least 75mph when she hit.  She was divorcing her husband and her family claimed that he had messed with her brakes and I was sent out to the wrecking yard to inspect the vehicle.  I was able to report that there was no evidence of pre-collision damage to the braking system even though there had been no skid marks at the scene at the time.  All three of her young sons had recently died in the cave-in of a tunnel they had dug and they were found too late.  

I remember this every Valentines Day...