TJ09

2014-06-19 - Dragon Encyclopedia Beta

...So we'll have to unlock information in an encyclopedia by randomly clicking dragons of that type? Not simply raising our dragons ourselves?

If so then uh... wow. Thanks, I guess? I kind of thought this was going to be a fun new addition but if you're gonna require me to hunt around for other people's dragons to get information for the dragons *I* have... uhm... could we have just had a new dragon release this month instead?

I liked that playing this game meant catch eggs, put eggs in signature/hatchery, help others by keeping hatchery open in another tab while it cycles through views. Simple and fun for people who want to collect things without having to poke others or invade other people's scrolls (since you know... a lot of people hide their scrolls so people can't see or mess with them).

Kind of annoying at the thought that I'd have to go hunt for specific dragons to click on in order to get information on dragons I already own and have raised. :| And god I really hope that number of 'dragons raised' and 'dragons observed' is highly exaggerated. There's no way in heck I think it's reasonable to force people to raise 80+ adult dragons to learn more about a species of dragon. And the 'or observe 400' is kind of hilariously horrible. Like that's a better option to having to raise 80 dragons instead.

I thought this was going to be a 'Raise dragon to adulthood, get information on it' kind of thing. Or at the very least "want more info? Raise more of that species!" kind of deal. At least those two options wouldn't make me change my playstyle to learn more about the dragons...

"Oh but TP, you don't *have* to use the encyclopedia..."

I do if I want to continue writing descriptions for my dragons. Nothing would get under my skin more than to write a very good story for one of my dragons, only to have it denied because "If you had unlocked section 10 of this species' encyclopedia entry, you'd know that this species only lives in fir tree forests and therefor would never live in the roots of a giant oak tree."

Unless of course they'd allow the wiki to document all this information so everyone has access to it. But then again people would probably complain about that because it 'takes away from the people who have managed to get that information unlocked themselves'.

Here's to hoping that the encyclopedia is actually nothing like how it was described on April Fool's day!

Just use daily dragon fix / Yarold's every now and then and you should be fine. Clicks give your dragons way more bang for the buck anyway, so trading clicks with other users in a hatchery setting is a pretty quick and efficient way to both grow your stuff and gain more info.

(Assuming, of course, that the draft we saw is accurate as to how the final will be)

I'm both excited and nervous about it... on the one hand more information would be neat (especially if we get to see some more art from the creators!), but as someone who describes all my dragons I really hope nothing's so specific that it becomes tiresome to work with. The current descriptions, while sometimes lacking, also give us all that much more creative freedom accordingly.

angelicdragonpuppy touched on something I've been concerned about... I'm not sure how DDF or Yarolds works, but HOW is this "observing dragons" going to be counted? Are we going to have to manually go to 100-or-more dragon's pages just to unlock some random trivia, or is it enough to participate in fansites? 'Cause the fansites I use don't exactly track who you are or what your username is.... I'm SO confused and (I think rightfully) frustrated right now, if it turns out that all this "new info" will mean hours upon hours of new WORK.

I think as long as you are logged in and clicking it should be no issue, I hope there would be a way of tracking views but I can't see a way to do that without logging in via the api to note you are using a fansite (though if it is a view thing that has to bee seen I could see the communtiy comming together and putting links to scrolls in one area, or perhaps a random scroll button (though both of these could end up rather dangerous to the eggs and hatchlings).

What if we just used the wilderness? Sure it might mean that some of the newer dragons aren't there unless people go and populate those breeds in there.

I am sure this tester will weed out glitches but also set/feedback expectations of the players and if needs adjusting - that would make sense anyway for this purpose tongue.gif

Just use daily dragon fix / Yarold's every now and then and you should be fine. Clicks give your dragons way more bang for the buck anyway, so trading clicks with other users in a hatchery setting is a pretty quick and efficient way to both grow your stuff and gain more info.

(Assuming, of course, that the draft we saw is accurate as to how the final will be)

If the numbers are accurate that's still hours of tedious work. If you're like me and already have nearly everything you want then there's no incentive to use either of those sites when there are easier options out there, so in the end it becomes literal hours of staring at those sites and clicking absolutely everything, hundreds of times per dragon, over 60,000 clicks all told, to get this information for dragons you already own. That's not fun in the least.

Edited by BlindWolf

One thing I hope to see is that the common species have more info than the rarer breeds, to encourage raising those breeds more.

Also having to observe a bunch of metallics would drive me bonkers

Instead of getting worked up about how it /might/ work.. how about we wait until we actually see how it works?

I HOPE that this thing takes awhile to unlock. I hate things that are instant gratification.. I enjoy working towards goals.

For those worried about descriptions though: I think the basic description guidelines we have had so far to date will still be enough. It would be entirely way too much information to expect mods to have to remember every detail ever, for every breed ever. Unless I'm told otherwise, I will continue to judge descriptions based on basic breed descriptions, and how they are written, rather than how they are described off site and in the encyclopedia, because not everyone will have access to everything at the same time.

The sign-up link isn't working for me sad.gif

EDIT: I am stupid. I wasn't signed into the Cave because it logged me out when I signed in on the other computer. laugh.gif

So excited about this! biggrin.gif

Edited by MoonShark

Signed up. I'm pretty interested about how this would work. Maybe you would to raise a dragon of that breed, or clicking on a dragon of that breed and viewing it. I also want to know how the descriptions would turn out.

Edited by pikapika555

Instead of getting worked up about how it /might/ work.. how about we wait until we actually see how it works?

I HOPE that this thing takes awhile to unlock. I hate things that are instant gratification.. I enjoy working towards goals.

For those worried about descriptions though: I think the basic description guidelines we have had so far to date will still be enough. It would be entirely way too much information to expect mods to have to remember every detail ever, for every breed ever. Unless I'm told otherwise, I will continue to judge descriptions based on basic breed descriptions, and how they are written, rather than how they are described off site and in the encyclopedia, because not everyone will have access to everything at the same time.

Pretty much this. And I wouldn't be surprised for those that are impatient, that the wiki will be collecting just about every scrap of info revealed in the encyclopedia.

Super Duper Excited! I can not wait until it comes out, and, yeah, it might be a whole ton of work, but it will give players who have been playing for a long time something extra, something that everyone can get in the end. So, it gives you something to aspire to.

I don't mind effort, but there's a difference between 'working for it' and 'Nexon MMO grinding'. That's the worry here.

I'm curious about it and want to see how it's supposed to work. Signed up since my vacation starts monday, that and TGT will give me plenty of dragons to pick on. biggrin.gif

I am quite curious to see where all of this goes xd.png (Especially for species with some amount of breed info released!)

Aw! Wanted to sign up but the link's broken or something.

Make sure you are logged into your scroll - that was my mistake earlier today.

*squees* So excited to see what this will be like.

Good luck to those trying for the beta!

Dragongrrl, I do not think you should have any more trouble raising dragons without clicks with the encyclopedia than you do now. There are plenty of hatchlings out there to click that aren't yours. :3

I see a lot of worry about how this will work for clicks and such and I think you guys are letting your imaginations run wild. =p As with all things, I'm sure there will be criticisms to how it works, but it's hard to give accurate criticisms until you guys actually see how it works. As well I see a lot of worry about this being "time consuming". Keep in mind that this is a brand new world building element to DC. It's meant to be something exploratory to give you more to do within the game. It takes time to collect all the dragon breeds you want, after all, so should it not also take a little time to learn about them? =)

As for descriptions, I have already asked for a more official answer, but I would like for the encyclopedia to just be able to enhance your submitted descriptions but not limit it. I know not everybody will have unlocked all the information and as we get more and more dragon breeds, more and more I have to refer to descriptions while modding to make sure that I'm following them. I think it would be a lot of extra stress on all of us, users and mods, if there is something in the encyclopedia that happens to conflict with your description since there's already so much information to take in just with all the dragon breeds we have. But I am looking to see if TJ feels differently. :3

I'm kind of nervous about this whole "raise 80 more adults" thing. xd.png Especially since it's on a chicken. Do I really want 80 chickens? I'm sure it was an exaggeration since the person had like 1 and so it would require them to have 81 and that's a very uneven number.

I'm not too worried. I'm looking forward to another fun collecting aspect to the game. I love collecting information and it would give me incentive to collect more of the dragons that I have very few of.

So excited!

I have to agree with Thuban here. If there is credit for what we already have on our scrolls, I may actually be way ahead of some people when it comes to unlocking features, but I won't know until we start learning more about it.

It seems to me that the approach will be something different than what we have seen before and there is no point in getting worked up over maybes. I also want to express my thanks to A_W and Sock for thinking of my 0-Click babies. <3 I get the feeling it won't affect my babies, but it seems many people are reading more into TJ's statement than what I see.

Whatever happens, happens. It will be interesting to watch all this unfold. wink.gif

I'm kind of nervous about this whole "raise 80 more adults" thing. xd.png Especially since it's on a chicken. Do I really want 80 chickens? I'm sure it was an exaggeration since the person had like 1 and so it would require them to have 81 and that's a very uneven number.

I'm not too worried. I'm looking forward to another fun collecting aspect to the game. I love collecting information and it would give me incentive to collect more of the dragons that I have very few of.

So excited!

I thought there was a 'raise X more dragons' and an 'observe X more dragons'.