HorseChick

2014 World Cup

Are you interested in the World Cup?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What is this I don't even...

On one side there's Argentina, our old football rival.

On the other side is Germany, who just humiliated us 7-1.

So basically... yeah, a bit difficult to pick who to root for.

As for the flag contacts: I haven't really seen them in shops around, but I looked up and apparently they're R$180 (around U$70 or so) so yeah. Could be wrong, though, all I did was Google it.

Germany won.

7-1

Thank you for remembering me smile.gif

I can't deny it, I'm so excited. Maybe this time it will finally happen again...?

In the 1986 final Germany - Argentina, Argentina won. In the 1990 final Germany - Argentina, Germany won. Sooo technically, it's Argentina's turn again xd.png

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Germany anyway and hope for the best. We#re in the final so I'm happy no matter how it ends. The only thing I really don't want to see is a match or an aftermath like the 2006 quarter final.

Maybe only Mexicans will understand this but:

No era penal! D:

No era penal! D:

I guess no once understood it.

No era penal! D:

I don't remember him playing like that when he was in Real Madrid. Or maybe I was just paying attention to that he scored and not the how...

I guess no once understood it.

I had to google it smile.gif

Who do you support today, guys? I hope Brasil will manage to win 3rd place, after the match against Germany I kinda felt sorry for them. Also, they're playing in their own country... I wish them luck! smile.gif

I'm not really big on watching any sort of sports honestly. It doesn't hold any entertainment for me unless I'm playing it myself.

Who do you support today, guys?

I hope the Netherlands will win. They've been so close so many times, that they deserve to get that 3rd place now that they can't fight for the cup anymore.

Netherlands won. Brazil team wasn't playing well. (I'm brazilian, just for the record).

Then I found this and laughed:

user posted image

biggrin.gif

Brazil definitely became more of a Magikarp after Neymar's unfortunate injury. He was watching from the bench probably thinking about how much better he'd be handling gameplay.

It was also really heartfelt when Netherland's van Persie gave his captain's band to the dutch superfan (the Orange General) in the stands. Really nice to see the appreciation players have been giving to their fans.

And of course, the final!! I'm still going back and forth because both are such good teams, but I think I want to see Argentina win it all. But those Germans! It's gonna be a great game. biggrin.gif

user posted image

Oh my god this is my new favorite image ever. For today.

I feel legitimately bad for how hard most of you Brazilians must be taking this. Very unfortunate showing. But ugh, how awesome could it have been had Neymar been able to play? It sucks for everyone that we didn't get to see the matches we deserved, but especially for Brazil being on their home turf. D:

I don't have a horse in the Germany/Argentina race, but I kind of want to see Germany dethroned out of spite. I don't think for a moment it'll happen though.

Out of curiosity, is anyone in this thread going to be watching the Women's World Cup next year? I'm a bigger fan of women's soccer than men's (I know, look shocked; sometimes I think I'm the only person alive who isn't a player on a national women's team who can say that) and I'm SO EXCITED.

Out of curiosity, is anyone in this thread going to be watching the Women's World Cup next year? I'm a bigger fan of women's soccer than men's (I know, look shocked; sometimes I think I'm the only person alive who isn't a player on a national women's team who can say that) and I'm SO EXCITED.

It looks interesting.Maybe I will.

I'll watch it, if it's on tv, which I doubt. I'm sure that it'll be on some sport channel, but I don't have cable tv sad.gif While men's football is THE sport, we only hear about women's football when they've won something international.

I don't think Neymar would've made that much of a difference. I think for example, our match against Germany would have ended like 6-2 or something rather than 7-1. Same for Netherlands. Sure, his presence on the field would probably help regardless, but I honestly doubt he'd be able to have prevented our defeat in Germany's hands.

The Brazilian team was also very dependent on Neymar for attacking, and while that did contribute to our downfall, the lack of good teamwork (Germany dominated our middle-field) and the presence of some incompetent players like Fred were also factors to consider.

Anyway, I've decided I'm going to root for Germany to win today because I don't want Argentina to win a World Cup in Brazil. So go Germany.

I don't think Neymar would've made that much of a difference. I think for example, our match against Germany would have ended like 6-2 or something rather than 7-1. Same for Netherlands. Sure, his presence on the field would probably help regardless, but I honestly doubt he'd be able to have prevented our defeat in Germany's hands.

The Brazilian team was also very dependent on Neymar for attacking, and while that did contribute to our downfall, the lack of good teamwork (Germany dominated our middle-field) and the presence of some incompetent players like Fred were also factors to consider.

Anyway, I've decided I'm going to root for Germany to win today because I don't want Argentina to win a World Cup in Brazil. So go Germany.

I agree with everything said here. smile.gif

HUZZAAHHH !

I waited for 10 years and 3 world cups for this German team to finally make it ! Ever since Klinsmann re-invented our national team, and Löw kept that style up, I wished for their efforts to be rewarded !

This is the team that made me watch the games of our national team with anything else than indifference (or even rooting for the other team) - I am so happy they were rewarded for being such a fine team of great sportsmen, playing an attractive, active kind of soccer !!!

Guys - thank you all !!!

(And wow, Argentinia was a really hard match - my blood pressure must've been high above what's healthy for the whole damn 120 minutes ! It made me sorry that there can be only one champion.)

Edit: For the record: I was sad that we had to kick out Nigeria (they fought with so much spirit), France and Brasil to get there. (Would have had much less scruples about Belgium or the Netherlands, for example.) In the Brasil game, I cheered heartily for the first goal, and did so for the second... but my spirit was dampened after the third, and after that it just hurt to see what happened to poor Brasil. I love our German team, but during that minutes I just wanted the referee to pause the game, so the Brasilians could come to their senses and rearrange their game. Shame on that foul that robbed them of Neymar, and they were missing other vital players, so they just never got the chance to show their best in this game, and that's just not fair (speaking in a universal kind of way). sad.gif

Edited by Lantean_Pegasus

No, I agree, I don't think his presence could've made a difference in the outcomes. I just wanted him around to watch him play and see him help his team out. D: I don't generally support the Brazilian men's team, but I do like Neymar. And of course it's always sad when a really talented athlete has to be removed from high profile competitions, especially for medical reasons.

Congrats Germany. Much more pleasant game than the horrible 2010 final. I felt simultaneously exasperated with and sad for Messi on that last kick.

No, I agree, I don't think his presence could've made a difference in the outcomes. I just wanted him around to watch him play and see him help his team out. D: I don't generally support the Brazilian men's team, but I do like Neymar. And of course it's always sad when a really talented athlete has to be removed from high profile competitions, especially for medical reasons.

Congrats Germany. Much more pleasant game than the horrible 2010 final. I felt simultaneously exasperated with and sad for Messi on that last kick.

Well, I think the same way you do as for Neymar. His dream of playing in the World Cup's semi-finals and finals were basically ripped away from his hands, which really sucks. I think the worst of all would be watching his team get dominated by Germany and being unable to do anything about it. Yeah, I feel pretty bad for what happened to him. And there are people spreading that his injury was fake (I dunno, it looks pretty real to me).

Also, did Zúñiga (the Colombian player who kneed him in the back) get any sort of punishment? I haven't seen anything on it, but IMO he should have received at least an yellow card in that game.

Anyway, congratulations to Germany for winning the Cup! I heard plenty of cheering here where I live when that goal happened!

AHAHAHAHAHAH BYE ARGENTINA GO BACK TO BUENOS AIRES

The Final, in my opinion, was pretty boring until extra time. There weren't many shots during the game, and Argentina's great defense wasn't helped by offensive mistakes. Messi's final free kick was also pretty disheartening, it went nowhere near the goal.

All in all, I had a fantastic time watching this year's World Cup, and hopefully it will renew my interest in international football and MLS.