Just another suggestion for egg freezing. Basically, you poke tiny holes in the egg at the top and bottom and drain the egg of its contents; egg-blowing. It would only be able to be used on eggs that have between seven and six days remaining so that the developing fetus/embryo/whatever is not developed enough to be a problem. It would have the same limitations as hatchling freezing, otherwise.

"You create two small holes at the top and bottom of the egg, then blow gently to drain it of its contents. You are left with a gorgeous egg shell for your collection."

Thoughts?

Makes sense to me. I like the idea of it only being usable during the first day of the egg's existence. I've actually done egg-blowing before while making Easter eggs, so this method would work extremely well, and is far less complicated RP-wise than some of the other ideas I've seen pop up. The simplicity is key.

I am very sure I've seen this idea proposed before, either as a regular suggestion or a BSA, I can't remember which. Maybe it was just someone's post in a related thread, like the major egg-freezing thread.

I think the counter-arguments were something along the lines of killing the hatchling, because some people want the egg AND the hatchling and they don't like the idea of having to kill a hatchling just for the egg.

I know you say it would be way early on so it "wouldn't be a problem" but I'm sure many will still think ANY stage is a problem.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

I am very sure I've seen this idea proposed before, either as a regular suggestion or a BSA, I can't remember which. Maybe it was just someone's post in a related thread, like the major egg-freezing thread.

I think the counter-arguments were something along the lines of killing the hatchling, because some people want the egg AND the hatchling and they don't like the idea of having to kill a hatchling just for the egg.

I know you say it would be way early on so it "wouldn't be a problem" but I'm sure many will still think ANY stage is a problem.

*Sigh* You're right. Some people will see that as a problem.

To me, though, the egg should keep its code (and be nameable, but that's just me), and you can't have a hatchling and an egg with the same code.

In my opinion, you need to pick one or the other. Do you want the hatchling, or do you want the egg?

I'd see this as a cool collectable item for people. The GoN egg, in my opinion. is absolutely beautiful (Although if this got implemented I doubt anyone would freeze their GoN eggs...) and it would be nice to be able to freeze eggs and name them in a way that would leave a message on your scroll xd.png. I wouldn't mind the egg/hachie thing - I'd imagine for older players, it would add to the much-needed challenge of abstaining dragons since they've collected plenty enough of them tongue.gif (Maybe not, it might just seem like that to me because I'm new tongue.gif)

However, this has been suggested many times before, I believe... well, this concept. And to solve the egg/hachie thing, if players are really upset about not keeping their hachie, maybe the code would gain another letter at the end of it to make it unique? Like a 6-letter code only obtainable through hachies that survived the egg-freezing thing? I dunno, not sure if it's possible tongue.gif

I am not particularly interested in this suggestion as I don't (at the moment anyway !) want to collect eggs - BUT - I have to say that's the exact same choice you make when you freeze a hatchling - you EITHER have a frozen hatchie OR an adult later.

This game is in part about choices - so to that kind of player, I'd say - "So what ? That's your decision. Pick one." This is NOT an issue with the suggestion that merits any consideration at all. "Trying to have your cake and eat it" springs to mind...

I am not particularly interested in this suggestion as I don't (at the moment anyway !) want to collect eggs - BUT - I have to say that's the exact same choice you make when you freeze a hatchling - you EITHER have a frozen hatchie OR an adult later.

The problem with that comparison is that freezing is just giving it eternal youth. With this, you kill the hatching. It really isn't the same to many people. Many people would like to have a way to have frozen eggs without having to perform a kill action.

And before I hear the word "zombie", they are a grand total of three sprites, that are hidden the majority of the time, so no one is missing out. If people didn't want to kill to freeze, they would be missing out on many sprites. To me, this is particularly bad since there are suggestions out there that would freeze the egg without killing.

Edited by Nectaris

The problem with that comparison is that freezing is just giving it eternal youth. With this, you kill the hatching. It really isn't the same to many people. Many people would like to have a way to have frozen eggs without having to perform a kill action.

And before I hear the word "zombie", they are a grand total of three sprites, that are hidden the majority of the time, so no one is missing out. If people didn't want to kill to freeze, they would be missing out on many sprites. To me, this is particularly bad since there are suggestions out there that would freeze the egg without killing.

A frozen egg doesn't have a dead hatchie inside ? Let's face it, basically, freezing a living thing kills it. Even a dragon. (Yes I know the freezey message says they are eternally young, but still.)

However - if frozen HATCHLINGS are alive - then so are the ones inside frozen eggs. You can't have it both ways ! The message for this action could just as well say that the hatchling in the egg has eternal life, too.

But if you feel that way - simply don't do this. It's a choice. Just as some people won't kill anything.

This game is in part about choices - so to that kind of player, I'd say - "So what ? That's your decision. Pick one." This is NOT an issue with the suggestion that merits any consideration at all. "Trying to have your cake and eat it" springs to mind...

Yeah, I mean, if you don't want a frozen egg then don't freeze it... or i you want a dragon from the egg don't freeze it. Just like if you don't want a frozen hatchling you don't freeze it. I don't necessarily oppose having the option, even if I doubt I would ever use it. I don't see how the possibility of it hurts me in any way.

So... if TJ Oks it, fine and if not, well, fine too. No strong feelings here one way or the other.

That said, if it comes down to it, this idea for keeping an egg makes more sense than some of the other ideas some have come up with. Simple, neat and easy to understand. As for the choice of 'dragon or egg' , well, like fuzz said, having options is what this game is all about.

Edited by Silverswift

I have a dragon concept with a proposed BSA that leads to infertility in adults (as in they only lay sterile eggs). For me, it made the most sense, since people tend to get hung up on the whole "but there is a baby in there that will die" aspect.

You would still have to make a choice, and the choice /could/ result in the death of a dragon, however, the resulting adult dragons when bred together would never be able to lay a viable egg, therefore allowing for egg collection, without having to kill any babies. The downside to my bsa idea though is that there would be NO way to get unbreedable eggs in your collection.

I have a dragon concept with a proposed BSA that leads to infertility in adults (as in they only lay sterile eggs). For me, it made the most sense, since people tend to get hung up on the whole "but there is a baby in there that will die" aspect.

You would still have to make a choice, and the choice /could/ result in the death of a dragon, however, the resulting adult dragons when bred together would never be able to lay a viable egg, therefore allowing for egg collection, without having to kill any babies. The downside to my bsa idea though is that there would be NO way to get unbreedable eggs in your collection.

I don't know, the idea of having to get several new pairs of dragons, at least one dragon of each species, just to render them all permanently (?) infertile to breed the eggs sounds like a bigger downside to me, and a large timesink. I think something more simple would be better in the long run.

I don't know, the idea of having to get several new pairs of dragons, at least one dragon of each species, just to render them all permanently (?) infertile to breed the eggs sounds like a bigger downside to me, and a large timesink. I think something more simple would be better in the long run.

and just like every other suggestion out there, not everyone will like it. The benefit for me, is that it will encourage me (and perhaps others) to collect one more of every sprite, and then opens the door for being able to collect as many, or few eggs as i want, without the guilt of having to specifically kill something. Since I didnt explain the mechanics behind it, you don't get to appreciate the thrill of the challenge behind getting to that point. More often than not though.. my specific idea will not result in any deaths, and would provide a challenge to even our oldest members, but surprisingly, newer members will probably fare better, since they tend to pay more attention to what they are doing. tongue.gif

Of all the suggested ways to collect "frozen" eggs, by far my favorite is and always has been the proposed BSA for mints that collect eggshells. The shells are collected, reassembled, and result in a perfect but empty egg.

I understand people's objections to that. "The shells are in pieces! They'd be impossible to fit back together!" Maybe, maybe not. We haz Magiks. "They'd be full of cracks!" Maybe, but again, we already have magic spells. Besides, our scroll are little pictures. Maybe the actual shell has cracks, but why would we draw it that way?

I don't really like this particular suggestion. It's not any different really than the other suggestions that would result in a killed hatchling. You say, "but frozen before development!" to which I reply with, how soon do you think that embryo starts developing? If they are ready to hatch two to three days after being laid, and as the description says, they're able to hatch sooner than they do, they just like being safe in their shell for awhile, then how soon do you think there's a hatchling inside developed enough to be recognizable as a hatchling?

I have never opened an egg with a partially developed chick inside, but my grandparents were all farmers. My parents have done so, and I was assured emphatically that I did not want to experience that. Gross! That's why when farmers bring eggs in from the chicken coop they candle each egg to make sure the chick hasn't started to grow yet. Since they collect eggs every day, you can imagine how short the time is between being laid and the chick starting to develop. If they miss finding one one day, it could be too late the next. Also, you can't blow eggs that a chick has started to develop inside.

So, saying that freezing the egg only on the first day results in no dead hatchlings isn't really accurate. There probably is a partially developed hatchling in there, and in any case it was a fertile egg that you froze.

The problem with that comparison is that freezing is just giving it eternal youth.  With this, you kill the hatching.  It really isn't the same to many people.  Many people would like to have a way to have frozen eggs without having to perform a kill action.

Yeah, and there are people who DON'T freeze because they don't like the idea of not letting a hatchling grow, but I know some of them still want eggs in some way. But they don't like ideas like this.

A frozen egg doesn't have a dead hatchie inside ? Let's face it, basically, freezing a living thing kills it. Even a dragon. (Yes I know the freezey message says they are eternally young, but still.)

However - if frozen HATCHLINGS are alive - then so are the ones inside frozen eggs. You can't have it both ways ! The message for this action could just as well say that the hatchling in the egg has eternal life, too.

But if you feel that way - simply don't do this. It's a choice. Just as some people won't kill anything.

What? For this specific idea, no, the hatchling isn't in the egg at all. You blow all of the contents out before they can really begin to form a hatchling, so yes it essentially kills it before it even lives, and many people have a problem with that.

Personally I don't, but it's kind of the same type of thing as abortion in a way. Most still consider the fetus and stages before a baby.

I do like this if it were paired with the "infertile eggs" suggestions. Because then the contents that are blown out are only the unfertilized yolk, no hatchlings. c:

Yeah, and there are people who DON'T freeze because they don't like the idea of not letting a hatchling grow, but I know some of them still want eggs in some way. But they don't like ideas like this.

What? For this specific idea, no, the hatchling isn't in the egg at all. You blow all of the contents out before they can really begin to form a hatchling, so yes it essentially kills it before it even lives, and many people have a problem with that.

Personally I don't, but it's kind of the same type of thing as abortion in a way. Most still consider the fetus and stages before a baby.

I do like this if it were paired with the "infertile eggs" suggestions. Because then the contents that are blown out are only the unfertilized yolk, no hatchlings. c:

The main Issue I have with the sterilized eggs idea is that it would render the holiday eggs unavailable.

Who would want to sterilize their holiday dragon?

Or maybe I am wrong on this one now that there really isn't a limit on them. maybe there are enough 'messy holidays' around that there are ones people could catch and sterilize? ANYWAY, not having access to the holiday eggs would be a shame because some of those are the prettiest of all. I sure wouldn't sterilize my CB Radiant Angel just so I could freeze an egg, though.

Edited by Silverswift

The main Issue I have with the sterilized eggs idea is that it would render the holiday eggs unavailable.

Who would want to sterilize their holiday dragon?

Or maybe I am wrong on this one. ANYWAY, not having access to the holiday eggs would be a shame because some of those are the prettiest of all. I sure wouldn't sterilize my CB Radiant Angel just so I could freeze an egg, though.

Seeing as holiday limits are lifted completely by now, it is possible to get sterilized eggs, if not a bit time-consuming (the initial year for two CBs which are to stay fertile, the second year to collect a few randoms of the breed to sterilize, and the third year to finally get the "frozen" egg).

With the ability to have unlimited bred holiday dragons I think some of that objection is solved. You could save a bred one specifically with the idea of sterilizing it for frozen eggs. Trading for a messy lineaged one wouldn't even be that difficult, I expect.

Question: are you guys discussing the sterilization I mentioned a few posts up, or a different thread that I missed somewhere? If you are talking about mine, there wouldnt be a reason to hollow them out (outside of the RP aspect of "eeew stinky eggs, lets clean this"). However, I'm willing to budge on that detail, in the event my concept ever gets to see the public.

My bsa freezes the egg immediately (however, I am entertaining the idea of allowing the sterile eggs to be smashed for those events that you bred the wrong breed, and don't want it for whatever reason). They also will not maintain lineages if I get my way when/if the time comes, so there is no reason to have to "sterilize" a cb anything, unless you want to. The choice to use it on a cb holiday is completely up to the owner, if they want a jumpstart on being able to collect eggs.

Will users feel guilty using the ability, once they realize how it works? Possibly.. more so if they arent careful about how they do it. But at the same time, once it's explained fully, it actually makes sense.. and with a bit of practice, it will be possible to get positive results, every single time. The drawback IS the sterile eggs, once that point is figured out.

Question: are you guys discussing the sterilization I mentioned a few posts up, or a different thread that I missed somewhere? If you are talking about mine, there wouldnt be a reason to hollow them out (outside of the RP aspect of "eeew stinky eggs, lets clean this"). However, I'm willing to budge on that detail, in the event my concept ever gets to see the public.

My bsa freezes the egg immediately (however, I am entertaining the idea of allowing the sterile eggs to be smashed for those events that you bred the wrong breed, and don't want it for whatever reason). They also will not maintain lineages if I get my way when/if the time comes, so there is no reason to have to "sterilize" a cb anything, unless you want to. The choice to use it on a cb holiday is completely up to the owner, if they want a jumpstart on being able to collect eggs.

Will users feel guilty using the ability, once they realize how it works? Possibly.. more so if they arent careful about how they do it. But at the same time, once it's explained fully, it actually makes sense.. and with a bit of practice, it will be possible to get positive results, every single time. The drawback IS the sterile eggs, once that point is figured out.

Well I'm pretty sure hollowing stuff like this suggestion references are only done to sterile eggs, which is why I suggested they go hand in hand. o3o I don't think it's a requirement, though. But yeah, gross stinky eggs would be kind of extremely gross XD Wouldn't the egg start to rot? I don't actually know what happens to eggs when you just leave them out, but I'm pretty sure they have expiration dates on them for a reason.

I brought it up because I saw your post. I think it could work with any sterile egg idea.

Would it be possible to have dragons you already OWN breed a 'sterile' egg.

That is, a female bird can lay eggs without mating with a male... at least to my knowledge... so maybe dragons can as well? The result being an egg that basically can't hatch into ANYTHING. Not sure about that, but she wouldn't HAVE to be permanently sterilized or anything like that.

Edited by Silverswift

"The two dragons breed to produce an egg. However, it appears to be sterile, so you hollow it out, and add it to your collection."

OP: Sorry about derailing your thread there. Your idea isnt a bad one, and out of most of the options I've seen over the years, it's up near the top in the "I actually like this option" group of the list.

Edit: Silverswift, there is a suggestion for that route, actually. My route is a bit more complex, but its something you actually have to work towards, so there is no risk of accidently "breeding" the wrong single dragon. You are purposely raising adults to be sterile and only breed sterile eggs with my BSA.

Edited by Thuban

"The two dragons breed to produce an egg. However, it appears to be sterile, so you hollow it out, and add it to your collection."

Yeh, I just assume that when you add it to your collection you end up hollowing it out, because ew rotten eggs. XD

Would it be possible to have dragons you already OWN breed a 'sterile' egg.

That is, a female bird can lay eggs without mating with a male... at least to my knowledge... so maybe dragons can as well? The result being an egg that basically can't hatch into ANYTHING. Not sure about that, but she wouldn't HAVE to be permanently sterilized or anything like that.

Oh, I like this idea very much.

But my favorite suggestion still is eggs as trophies.

Personally, I don't see why killing a dragon embryo/fetus is an issue. We can kill eggs, hatchlings, and adults. Why is killing the embryo in this manner for benefit any different?

~

I'd rather see a general action than a BSA. I don't like giving important BSAs to dragons, like Teleport. I prefer BSAs to be things that add slight advantages that can easily be worked around, not vital gameplay mechanics. That said, I did make a suggestion for a BSA that possibly fixes the issue of killing the embryo/fetus (Remove), but I prefer this option.

Edited by PieMaster

Personally, I don't see why killing a dragon embryo/fetus is an issue. We can kil eggs, hatchlings, and adults. Why is killing the embryo in this manner any different?

And the people that are against killing the hatchling in the egg probably don't kill any of their dragons unless they really really want a Zombie.

Some people want to have the pretty eggs, but if you even suggest that a suggestion is going to kill the egg or hatchling, you're going to alienate those who don't want to kill them.