Daxillionyx

No Support = Hate

Most rational people can make the distinction between the lack of support and hate. This forum has a fairly high percentage of rational people and for the irrational, that's what the moderators are for.

On Facebook, tumblr and other social media outlets, there isn't a moderator to handle those that need handling and it shows. These outlets also have a strong center around 'likes' or rebloggs/shares. So if you like/share something, then all your friends can see it and if they like it/ share it, then all their friends can see it and it gets topics with small and humble beginnings attention from around the world.

This has proven to be a very good way to promote new things or idea's, or to get information out about things not being reported on the news.

I'v signed several petitions about issues i had no idea about, until they were posted then reblogged and made it's way on to my car's and cat dashboard, solely because someone else promoted it with a simple click.

The opposite effect happens as well and this is where I think the no support=hate idea evolved from. As if you don't care enough about a topic to give that silly click, then you don't want that topic promoted and spread, so you must not want it to do well, so you really want it to fail, so you must therefore, hate it.

Do i think people who don't reblog/like/ whatever things hate that topic. No, but i can as least see where that mentality came from and lob snowballs at people trying to guilt-shame me into promoting things i don't want to.

Edited by tjsweepers

Going out of your way to say that you don't support something reasonably equates to mild disapproval. It's similar to saying "I won't condone it", which really just means "I do not approve of this", but is often assumed to mean "I disapprove", and thus has taken on this definition in most contexts. That's not a great example. Compare it to "not nice" commonly acting as a synonym for "mean", despite simply meaning that it is not kind (and not necessarily unkind).

I don't think not supporting is the same as being indifferent.

The two are distinct and separate. Others in the topic have already given good definitions of the two terms, so I don't need to rehash them. Just wanted to add that those who consider no support equal to hate are probably either stuck in binary thinking, with no opinions allowed between 'love it' or 'hate it', or are trying to set up a straw man argument.

Edited by Fortis