Daxillionyx

No Support = Hate

I've realized over the past year or so that a lot of people equate a lack of support for something with hate. In other words, if you don't support something you automatically hate it/hate anyone that does.

I'm curious now: is that a valid consensus, or a loud minority? What do you think about the assumption that "Do not support = hate"? Why do you think that way?

A few examples of what I mean if you are a bit lost:

-Don't support dressing up pets = hate people that dress up pets.

-Don't support smoking = hate smokers

-Don't support eating meat = hate meat and/or those who eat it

-Don't support illegal immigration = hate illegal immigrants

That's the thought process I am inquiring about.

While not supporting something CAN and often does overlap with hating (or at least disliking) something, the two are not always one and the same.

Plenty of times people simply are neutral on something thus they don't support it--but nor do they support whatever the opposite is.

As KageSora posted dislike does not always equal hate. Yes people find it easy to say they hate something, when questioned they usually mean to say they disliked it instead.

I agree with KageSora and _z_.

We say hate as shorthand; we don't mean it. Just as we say we ADORE chocolate. I doubt if many of us actually worship the stuff.

We are almost all of us lazy with language. I honestly don't think I hate anyone. I do hate intolerance, but not intolerant people - I am sorry for them xd.png

mellow.gif Well, there are things that I don't support but doesn't really hate them. An example is dressing up pets as mentioned in the first post. I don't really support the idea but don't hate people who do. I just don't mind them. It's just not my taste; that's all. Each one has a different tastes and opinions; we must respect them.

On the other hand, hate is too strong a verb. Probably just dislike.

I think that the assumption is an unfair one. If a person does not support a topic that I support, I'd want to know why, but I would not think they hated the topic unless they came across in an aggressive or otherwise negative manner.

For me, not supporting something and disliking or hating something are usually two or three very different things. They may become one thing if I feel strongly towards whatever it is I am not supporting, but they are feelings or opinions that I prefer to keep separate.

Hate is a strong feeling and is at least for me, rather draining on my emotions; so whenever I hate something, the feeling is short lived and just as quickly turns into a feeling of dislike. Dislike, while not as strong; is easily expressed through words, written or vocal, so it generally hangs around for a lot longer. Years longer in some cases, depends what it is that I'm disliking really.

As for supporting or not supporting a topic or thing, I try not to form an opinion towards the topic until I understand it, at least at a basic, rudimentary level. My opinions have been swayed in the past towards topics I once didn't support or felt neutral towards, and I feel that was only possible because I didn't hate or dislike that particular topic. But there are also topics that I do not support, and will likely never support because my mind does not agree with the thought process required to support that topic.

"No support" is a shorthand for not taking action to help the cause.

"Hate" is either an an extreme emotional variant of dislike or an action taken against the subject.

These two are different, although hating often does overlap with no support. The opposite - when you do not support it, you hate it - is often untrue.

Disliking something doesn't mean you have to hate it, like others have said. I don't support smoking, but I don't care if people do it, that's their choice. As long as what others are doing won't affect me/others in a way they don't want, then I have no reason to hate it.

For example, if some people hate eating meat, and want to make others not eat it as well (by trying to pass laws, make meat harder to buy, give people a hard time for eating meat) that's infringing on anothers right to chose what they want to put into their diet. When it escalates to that, those that eat meat, such as myself, would hate that specific group of individuals, as not every vegetarian tries to force their diet plans on you.

Edited by BlightWyvern

No support does not mean hate, or even dislike. To me, it simply means I am either not interested, or can not see the purpose, or I may like a different option much better. To extend a simple disinterest of a topic to those who support it is unrealistic.

My parents were Republicans. I could never be one, but I certainly loved my parents. We did discuss some issues, but there was never anything irrational about the conversations. The ex-husband loved football. I didn't. We got married anyway, and football has absolutely nothing to do with why he is now the ex. rolleyes.gif

I do hate cigarette smoke, (along with genocide and GMOs) but two of my closest friends are smokers. A third very dear friend started smoking at 12, and died at 40 of a heart attack. Smoking is a choice these friends made a very long time ago, and it is very hard for them to quit. I certainly don't hate them, just the opposite in fact, and will support them in just about anything they choose to do, but I won't buy them cigarettes.

There are ideas I support, and other ideas I don't support, but it is extremely rare for any of them to have the emotional charge that generate hate. And some opinions can be changed, if the arguments are based on accurate information and sound logic. <3

Disliking something doesn't mean you have to hate it, like others have said. I don't support smoking, but I don't care if people do it, that's their choice. As long as what others are doing won't affect me/others in a way they don't want, then I have no reason to hate it.

For example, if some people hate eating meat, and want to make others not eat it as well (by trying to pass laws, make meat harder to buy, give people a hard time for eating meat) that's infringing on anothers right to chose what they want to put into their diet. When it escalates to that, those that eat meat, such as myself, would hate that specific group of individuals, as not every vegetarian tries to force their diet plans on you.

Hating is rather extreme. "Very much object to" is as far as I'd go. Hatred is a corrosive emotion that is best avoided. It damages the hater more than the person they hate - who won't care, to be honest.

No support does not equal hate, in my book.

I dislike dressed up pets on an every day occassion. I don't think most pets like it, but I have known a few who do. Maybe becaususe of the extra attention and love their owners gave them as they dressed them up and showed them off. I really, relly dislike dressed up pets.

I don't think people who dislike or disapprove of something should take away others right to do it as long as it doesn't hurt any other person physically.

Smoking is something that a person should be allowed to do in their own space and they should be allowed access to rental homes where they can smoke.

Legislating others personal actions is wrong.

But no support does not and should not automatically mean hating the thing.

Agree with most of the people in this thread. These two things mean different things by definition.

Although I suppose in some situations it's possible for a large amount of apathetic people to sway the flow towards a certain direction? For example a lot of men are misogynistic (catcalling women on the street, etc.) to show off their "masculinity" and when people don't react, they take it as support (oh, those people don't care that I'm doing this, therefore it must be normal behaviour, I will keep doing this). Obviously that's not the bystanders' fault, no one is obliged to protect/explain things to everyone, but it's a thing that happens. I think that's what people mean when they equate neutrality to hate; you're not against the movement but you're still hurting it via inaction.

Edited by Fractional Pi Day

To me, supporting something means more than just clicking a "like" button.

It means standing up and being willing to say, "Yes, I believe that is worth standing behind. Yes, I agree with that."

There are many things out there that I am neutral about. I don't support it, but neither do I hate it.

There are too many shades of color in this world to view it in only black and white.

Ah, I see. So it is indeed a loud minority with the view that not supporting something means you must hate it. It's an irrational assumption, to be frank. I guess people get so emotionally fueled with certain topics that logic takes a bit of a back seat and pathos goes to work.

And I agree that support should be defined as ACTIVELY pushing for the object/movement in question, and neutrality meaning you don't hate or like the topic/object.

I really think it depends on the subject. Usually I see this kind of thing happening within controversial areas, like abortion or gay rights, or even in extremist groups about things that aren't exactly extreme themselves. And then it's the extremists within that view support and like in a VERY black and white way.

I'm going to try and make this as clear as possible (and if it isn't for you, feel free to message me questions smile.gif I'll be happy to explain)

Just because I don't support something doesn't mean I hate the person for it... or the group or whatever is involved.

Usually if I don't support it I'm also not against it. Just not for it. If you do "it" then fine... don't pressure me into doing "it" and we'll be ok.

If I support something just because I'm not "super vocal" about it doesn't mean I don't support it... I let people live /their/ lives... they don't need me going "DO THIS" at them in some way shape or form.

So Support doesn't = hate. Never. For me. If it does for someone... well, all I have to say to you is that I'm sorry about that. For you I guess... there's a clear difference but I know some things get melded together from time to time.

I feel hate is a strong word to use. I have used it but I do attempt to avoid using hate in general terms. such as I hate mondays might be for me I really detest Mondays. I hate Maggots - I find maggots revolting.

my reasoning is, hate is an ultimate negative and typically has extremely strong feelings behind it. Similar to love - which is its opposite.

I love a few people. I love my pets

I really adore a few people

I like many more people than I love

I am neutral about most people

I dislike a good number of people

I detest far fewer

I have yet to find anyone on this planet who has upset me so much as to hate them.

So in regards to supporting something or not supporting something, as loving or hating something - no. If I like a group, I may support it, I may not as well, depends if there is money required and whatnot. If I don't feel anything toward the group, I probably will not. If I don't like something I probably won't support it - does not equate to hate.

So support does not = love it

Not supporting does not = hate it.

Perhaps I misphrased.

Not supporting any side doesn't equal hating it. There CAN be SOME that do but not everyone does. :I

I can definitely see a lot of humanity leaning towards the "lack of support = hate" side of things. mostly because there are so many ways to take it.

If people feel their beliefs are being questioned, they get touchy. An innocent bystander with no opinion on the matter is easily attacked by them for not backing them up. They are accused of hatred because they don't show support.

But then there's also the people who don't support something because they hate it. Not saying it's always a bad thing, but at least most of them are honest about it.

For a good in between example, I could use myself. I don't support smoking, partially because I'm allergic and I hate the smell. But I don't go around hating people that do it because I understand what an addiction can feel like (albeit personal experience only from caffeine). I may not agree with whet they are doing, but they're only human.

Although, I do hate those *ickheads who go and blow it in my face.....

Completely agree that "not supporting" certainly doesn't mean "hate".

I, too, see this a lot with controversial subjects, and it's always annoyed me. To take a personal example, I often see that, supposedly, not supporting gay marriage means the person must be homophobic. But that's completely untrue. Now, if the person was actively supporting the anti-gay marriage measures, *then* I could see it being called hate.... But otherwise no.

This becomes a gray area when dealing with the internet, fandoms and shippers in particular. People think they are anonymous on the internet, so they say and do anything to make people feel bad about liking something they dislike. They can even devote hours of work to creating websites and posts about how much they hate a thing, including sending death threats to actors and writers. People on the internet generally don't have a filter. They would never say something like what they say to someone's face in real life. And then you get the people who flat out use hateful words and threatening messages, then claim that it's not "hate" it's "constructive criticism". There is a VERY big difference between "I don't like these things because [insert reason here]" and "I don't like these things and if you like them you're an idiot". Even the first part gets into the "hateful" territory when they start claiming "facts" that aren't facts at all and use these "facts" to accuse the people who like it are somehow more than wrong (the biggest accusations I see are Homophobic and Racist).

Also, the use of the word "hate" has been somewhat over saturated in media. It's lost it's meaning, really. Much like the word "Epic" used to be reserved for something big and extraordinary, now it's just used for something moderately cool.

Edited by MysticTiger

"Hate" is either an an extreme emotional variant of dislike or an action taken against the subject.

These two are different, although hating often does overlap with no support. The opposite - when you do not support it, you hate it - is often untrue.

Perfect definition, in my opinion.

Not supporting something is taking a neutral stance on something. Going against it is hating on it, actively advocating for it is supporting it.

This becomes a gray area when dealing with the internet, fandoms and shippers in particular. People think they are anonymous on the internet, so they say and do anything to make people feel bad about liking something they dislike. They can even devote hours of work to creating websites and posts about how much they hate a thing, including sending death threats to actors and writers. People on the internet generally don't have a filter. They would never say something like what they say to someone's face in real life. And then you get the people who flat out use hateful words and threatening messages, then claim that it's not "hate" it's "constructive criticism". There is a VERY big difference between "I don't like these things because [insert reason here]" and "I don't like these things and if you like them you're an idiot". Even the first part gets into the "hateful" territory when they start claiming "facts" that aren't facts at all and use these "facts" to accuse the people who like it are somehow more than wrong (the biggest accusations I see are Homophobic and Racist).

Also, the use of the word "hate" has been somewhat over saturated in media. It's lost it's meaning, really. Much like the word "Epic" used to be reserved for something big and extraordinary, now it's just used for something moderately cool.

I agree with Mystic Tiger.

There are a few things I don't support, but I don't hate them. And pairing/shippings is a perfect example.

I'll just use this as an example because its the only thing that comes to my tired mind.

I am a writer on fanfiction and most of my stories are for Final Fantasy 7. I do pairings in some of them and my favorite pairing is Cloud x Tifa or 'CloTi', but not everyone is a fan of the pairing. Some prefer seeing him with Aerith, while others will pair him with Zack or Sephiroth. I've had someone post a review one one of my stories that was centered around 'CloTi' and said that while they don't like the pairing the story itself was good.

I'm the same way. I may not like some of the pairings in other stories, but I don't hate it. I don't even really dislike it, at most just not being very fond of it.

But even if I don't support something, doesn't mean I hate it. So, there is a difference. smile.gif

This sums up my opinions pretty well... and as some have said, different people's 'headcanon 'of which characters should end up with which is probably a good example.

Many times I just don't CARE all that much... even IF I never could imagine how those characters could ever work together myself.

(Admittedly there are ships I just don't GET for exactly the reason that I can't see how the characters would ever work)

Another good example , for me is sports.

If the team I do support isn't in the Superbowl, for example... I don't bother to watch.

NOT because I necessarily hate either team ( THOUGH I know some people really DO hate certain teams for one reason or another), but because I just plain do NOT care about either of them enough to make the effort to follow the game. No support for them.

Or books.

There are books I just plain would NEVER read (No support); whereas hate enough to burn.... not so much.

As some have said... no support CAN certainly equate to dislike for whatever is being discussed,( for example, if I don't read a book, there is a chance it is because I don't like that book) but it doesn't have to mean anything as strong as 'hate'.

Edited by Silverswift