nlechoppa

Dinosaurs

Discuss dinosaurs. From the gigantic Amphicoelias fragilis to the tiny Microraptor

Rules

1.No flaming

2.No trolling

3.No insulting

I love dinosaurs! Ever since I was a little kid I watch the land before time and fell in love with dinosaurs, and I love watching any document about dinosaurs now that I'm older. (I still like Land before time and I'm 18.) If there was a choice between playing with a doll or playing with a dino I would choose dinosaurs and I'm a girl. I have three younger siblings I also played with as a little kid and played dinosaurs with them. I will watch any movie with dinosaurs in it. I loved the Disney movie Dinosaurs too, and watched the walking with dinosaur series, and Dinosaur planet. My favorite dinosaur of all time is an apatosaurus, but I also like stegosaurs and parasolophus.

When I was in preschool I knew this kid named Luke, and every day he and I would play with these two dinosaurs. He got a T-Rex like dino, and I got some other dinosaur... I can't remember the real name, but it looked like a Kangaroo so I named it Hopasaurus. xd.png

When I was older I also played another game called Dino Run, where you're a velociraptor running away from the Apocalypse (Doom). I would play it almost addictively tongue.gif

Dinosaurs were a big part of my life when I was really young, and I think without them I never would've gotten into reptiles and the like, and I probably wouldn't be here now...

Edited by Dracoscar

Loved watching JP up to the 2nd one. Then the third one was just a godzilla ripoff with Spino and it was just..awful.

aww I enjoyed the third JP movie :c I seem to be the only one.

I saw stuff about a 4th being made, but they said there weren't going to be any feathery dinos! D: I'm really sad about that. I'd love to see terrifying feathery t-rexes and raptors. It could be explained easily, too, by them deciding to incorporate bird DNA since birds are much more closely related to dinos and they found out the dinos were changing sex anyway with the frog DNA.

Really though, I'm a dino fanatic! I was obsessed with dinosaurs when I was little. I drew them all the time and I had several computer games and movies involving them. I love discovering new things about dinos. I love watching them develop as we find out new facts, like most (if not all) theropods having feathers and dinos like Triceratops having quill-like structures along their back.

I used to think many sauropods spent time in shallow water to help support their weight, but I think differently about that now.

I like that Stegosaurus isn't actually a dumb creature with a walnut-sized brain and needed a "hind brain" in their hip area. XD That's just ridiculous any way you slice it.

Diplodocus is one of my new favorite dinosaurs for the fact that its tail is essentially a spiky whip that it used to not only whip, but slash open any threats. :D

I found this site recently that talks about some other grand changes in a few of the popular dinosaurs. o3o

I hope I learn more stuff about dinosaurs while stalking this thread. XD

aww I enjoyed the third JP movie :c I seem to be the only one.

Hey, I'm a fan of the director, except when he wasn't involved with the 3rd movie. It was soso. I like the real spino's that are slim and eat fish. We all know the fight between it and Rex wouldn't have turned out the way it did if the dinos were more realistic. I was excited to see spino in the movie but my smile faded when it was basically morphed into a godzilla-like creature and did many things that a real spino couldn't.

My feelings were kinda the same with the raptors through the entire series, considering the velociraptor's are SMALL. Very smart, but tiny.

Edited by GhostChilli

Dinosaurs are pretty cool; I grew up watching and rewatching Land Before Time on VHS (from Blockbuster!). I always liked Ankylosaurus and the Parasaurolophus types. I enjoy Jurassic Park a lot too (but ohgod, the fanfic that's out there...). I never got around to seeing the second and third, though I should do that at some point.

I also have this shirt. :3

Hey, I'm a fan of the director, except when he wasn't involved with the 3rd movie. It was soso. I like the real spino's that are slim and eat fish. We all know the fight between it and Rex wouldn't have turned out the way it did if the dinos were more realistic. I was excited to see spino in the movie but my smile faded when it was basically morphed into a godzilla-like creature and did many things that a real spino couldn't.

My feelings were kinda the same with the raptors through the entire series, considering the velociraptor's are SMALL. Very smart, but tiny.

Yeah, like I said, I liked the movie and I actually liked Spinosaurus a lot. It was my favorite dinosaur for years and still is one of my favorites. I actually didn't think it was that bulky, but then again I guess I haven't seen the movie in a while. I do know that Spinies are absolutely huge, bigger even than the one portrayed in the movie. So it being a Godzilla-like creature in terms of bigness isn't far from the truth (well, not as tall as literal Godzilla, just extremely large).

But you're right, T-rex would have probably won due to its kind of teeth. Spiny might have been large enough to possibly intimidate the Rex, but its teeth probably wouldn't have done lethal damage to Rex, even though Rex didn't have any kind of armor. Rex is all about the strong jaw filled with knives for teeth, so I think it could have easily killed Spiny. Course, if we're being completely realistic, the two carnivores never ever even met irl.

I don't really remember the fight all too much other than it being awesome. I think I remember some neck biting but not much else. XD

Omigosh the raptors...honestly I think they can get away with saying the dinos aren't fully the same as they were because of the DNA splicing they had to do. But seriously, the Velociraptors looked more like a Utahraptor-sized Deinonychus than anything (well, maybe somewhere between Utahraptor and Deinonychus, but they were still very large). Velociraptor was only about 2-3 feet tall and had a slightly dished head. It's unique for having that kind of profile in comparison to the straight profiles of its other raptor cousins.

Speaking of Utahraptor, it's my favorite for the fact that it's huge. I believe they're the largest known raptor species. All of the raptors probably looked like absolutely terrifying hawks and eagles with teeth and sickle claws.

And speaking of sickle claws, Archaeopteryx had one, too! :D By that, I mean it had hyperextensible second toes with a claw akin to the dromaeosaurs and troodontids. c: Archaeopteryx, or at least some of them, also had black feathers covering either parts or all of their bodies. Another study has shown that it's likely the tips of some of the feathers were black and it had a kind of light and dark dappled coloration like these guys here.

I used to enjoy learning about dinosaurs as a child, as when my mom was homeschooling me she put an emphasis onto science and math. I didn't watch much TV as a kid, however, so I never watched many shows or movies involving them.

archaeologist are still discovering dinosaurs.... also any else watched the show primeval with the anomalies?

archaeologist are still discovering dinosaurs.... also any else watched the show primeval with the anomalies?

Yes they are! ...if by archaeologists you mean paleontologists. XD Archaeologists study human history and prehistory, whereas paleontologists study ancient fossils of both plants and animals. In fact I think I recall just last year (or early this year, can't remember which), they found a (potentially?) new dinosaur. :D

Also no. o3o I think I've heard of it, though. I really wanna watch it.

EDIT: Though, tbf, I wouldn't think that it's impossible for an archaeologist to perhaps stumble across dinosaur bones. It's highly unlikely, as humans and their ancestors aren't even close to being as old as the youngest of dinosaurs, so they wouldn't be digging as deep into the Earth.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

I loved that show and the tie-in novels. Too bad that they cancelled it with a cliffhanger.

Reading this thread has made me want to watch Land Before Time again. I watched the first two movies when I was a child and then watched the next two later because a friend of mine used to have them and I borrowed them, but I've heard that they've made more.

A few years ago, I was obsessed with dinosaurs. Now, not so much. Kinda sucks that I don't know as much dinosaurs as I did when I was ten. But I still love the dinonicus the most.

I love Megalodon but I'm also scared of the idea that it might still be out there (yeah I know but come on the ocean is huge)

When I was a kid I loved dinosaurs. I read about them, I drew them, I tried to dig up dinosaur bones in the sandpit and played with plastic dinosaurs with my brother. laugh.gif

I think a fully grown trex vs spino is 55/45 in favor of Trex

Because of trex is more robust and a powerful bite to the neck will end it

you can see here

user posted image

Spinosaurus could win because of those giant claws that can be used to kill Trex

user posted image

Yea, spino is taller, but I mostly see a sail with a skinny body, NOT built for strong force. Put a great dane and a rottie in a ring, rottie wins. Though I heard spino may not have had a sail, instead a big humpback, and walked on all fours instead of two. Those claws only help until Rex pulls off an arm, which wouldn't be hard..

Edited by GhostChilli

T-rex, though smaller, definitely wins all the time because of its powerful jaws. Though, it's possible that Spiny could have avoided a fight altogether due to its size and sail/hump which may have made it look even bigger. And anyway, Spiny has jaws akin to a croc, so I would assume the bites would still be extremely powerful, just not the same kind of power as a T-rex, which seems more like a wolf or tiger but on a larger scale in terms of power.

The long claws could have also easily held a T-rex as the Spiny bit into it, too, but in terms of a biting-only match, T-rex wins.

I do think that Spiny occasionally went on all fours, but I think it's more of a two-legged dino myself. Those huge claws just look like something to help it pierce fish and other smaller prey that its huge jaws couldn't quite catch. They don't look like something for walking on unless they could somehow retract their claws. They may have rested on all fours by lakes and rivers and would strike out with their claws or something. It's possible that, if they did indeed have sails and not humps, the sails were not only used for display or thermoregulation, but maybe even like a sort of dorsal fin when in deeper waters.

I really doubt spiny went on all fours. Those arms look too short for that sorts of things. I think he's landbased. And TRex does have a advantage but he prob wont be ripping off arms unless he wants his head chopped off.

Well yeah, Spiny still lived on land, but it's very possible it also frequented the water where it fed on fish, which its jaws are well-adapted for.

And I don't think its arms are too short. Just look at the Hadrosaurs:

user posted image

Granted, I think their forelegs are still a bit longer than Spiny's, but I wouldn't say it was impossible for Spiny to never have gone on all fours. Course I don't think we can know that for sure at all unless footprints are found or something. o3o Like I said, I doubt they walked around on all fours, but we may find impressions of when they went down on all fours to catch fish or drink water or something.

And anyway, Spiny has jaws akin to a croc, so I would assume the bites would still be extremely powerful, just not the same kind of power as a T-rex, which seems more like a wolf or tiger but on a larger scale in terms of power.

Not exactly, it was meant for a quick grip to get it's fish on land to eat, not holding down or ripping. It wouldn't accomplish that without having it's teeth ripped out of it's mouth.

Which means it could have the same results as a bear, which also grabs fish with its teeth.

Of course, it would still be different, as bears are omnivores and have different teeth. I assume that Spiny had some sort of mix of crocodile and bear in its behavior and feeding habits.

I doubt spinosaurus has that kind of power.

This is a deinosuchus skull

user posted image

This is a spinosaurus skull

user posted image

The crocodile skull is way more robust than the spinosaurid skull