Mondat

Mating Rituals

Total waste of time in my opinion. Doesn't add anything to actual game play. Doesn't do anything for or against breeding success. Just seems like a lot of extra work for somthing that's purely cosmetic. I'd much rather TJ put his time into something useful, like better scroll sorting.. new BSA's.. new dragons.. the encyclopedia.. etc. etc. etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing it alongside other cosmetic changes + some new features. Actually I think it would work really well if released alongside the Encyclopedia, but I think it's a bit late for that.

I do agree, though, that it's definitely not *needed* in the slightest. But it couldn't hurt, either.

A little note on the work involved:

im pretty sure TJ could make those code changes within a few hours.

But: the work lies with detailing the messages. This is where the creative folks are needed to step up. wink.gif

Just seems like a lot of extra work for something that's purely cosmetic.

I'd like to see this added, but I won't be sad if it is not. When it all comes down to it, the sprites are just cosmetic as well. We could just have solid squares of one color, and still have them breed new squares. The fact that they are in the shape of dragons, thus more detail, just makes the game more appealing. All you really need is a basic image to represent the breeding functions of something.

im pretty sure TJ could make those code changes within a few hours.

And I'm also pretty sure he could code in new BSAs, site enhancements, etc in a few hours if that be the case, too. But even so it takes years for anything to be changed on DC, so I still think he should put his efforts into something more useful to the site as a whole.

And I'm also pretty sure he could code in new BSAs, site enhancements, etc in a few hours if that be the case, too. But even so it takes years for anything to be changed on DC, so I still think he should put his efforts into something more useful to the site as a whole.

Define "useful". In the end, it depends on the person.

Is the Encyclopedia useful? Are mystery eggs useful? Is showing codes instead of "unnamed" useful?

As I said before, breeding is a major element in this game - next to egg hunting. So "playing down" (English is not my native language, I hope you get what i mean) other suggestions based on "necessary factor" just because someone would like to have other things implemented/just has something against this suggestion isn't valid in my opinion. I do not mean only you Grox, but everybody else when I say this.

It is up to TJ to decide.

If TJ doesn't want to change details in his game, so be it.

But I think that also little details can change much in terms how people receive a game.

Edited by Mondat

Define "useful". In the end, it depends on the person.

Is the Encyclopedia useful? Are mystery eggs useful? Is showing codes instead of "unnamed" useful?

No - I agree - none of those are useful, and I haven't supported a single one of them. !

However, better sorting options, moving dragons in groups when sorting, seeing the lineage links on the breeding page, a scroll link when there has been action on your trades, showing accepting aid on your SCROLL page rather than just on individual growing things - all those ARE useful - to you too, I think. I would rather see TJ working on those, which would make everyone's lives easier..

This sounds adorable! I think it'd be a great idea (as long as the associated staff are on board it with) happy.gif

No - I agree - none of those are useful, and I haven't supported a single one of them. !

However, better sorting options, moving dragons in groups when sorting, seeing the lineage links on the breeding page, a scroll link when there has been action on your trades, showing accepting aid on your SCROLL page rather than just on individual growing things - all those ARE useful - to you too, I think. I would rather see TJ working on those, which would make everyone's lives easier..

Hm, did I or other people post a suggestion thread for everybody to post what other - completely unrelated - things they would like to get implemented first? No.

I am not saying that I am an exception, but I posted in related threads (ex: tabs vs. tags) which one I would prefer at least, as far as I know.

I am not even going to write down my opinion regarding the unrelated suggestions you posted because they have nothing to do with my suggestion. What I think of them doesn't matter in this thread and it shouldn't matter to you either. Let's stay on topic please.

I do not want my first suggestion thread turn into a thread full of pages with unrelated babble or "drama" wink.gif

I was just saying that things that would be USEFUL to all of us would be more worth having. And gave examples. Is all.

I think this is a cosmetic change that we really don't need. It's more practical and effective to have the current messages that we have, I don't see how a long message saying something like "and then the gold dragon made the mating dance to please the female mint" can enhance my game experience in any level or improve the breeding task. Sometimes I breed to the ap to give some shinies to those who hunt there and I don't read one single message. I would prefer TJ and the staff dedicating their time to something more useful and desirable such as implement BSAs, as example.

Is the Encyclopedia useful?
I'm on the fence about the encyclopedia; it could be useful if it has information such as the new elemental attributes of dragons which are behind GoN breeding - as that would help breeders.

Are mystery eggs useful?
To some, yes. They could potentially help people who have no hope of catching a rare in the normal cave have a chance at grabbing one through grabbing a mystery egg. People have expressed opinions that it would be fun even if that were not the case, too.

Is showing codes instead of "unnamed" useful?
To the people who collect codes and would like to show them off on their scroll, yes.

So, then, I ask you this; who exactly would find this suggestion useful? Yes, people might think it a nice cute addition to give dragons a bit of character, but does it really have a use?

I never said I was completely against this suggestion, I don't really care if it's added or not. Basically danicast's post above sums things up well. I don't care for superficial changes, only ones that would have a real impact on the game.

I never said I was completely against this suggestion, I don't really care if it's added or not. Basically danicast's post above sums things up well. I don't care for superficial changes, only ones that would have a real impact on the game.

This. I couldn't care less. But I cannot see what will be enhanced by it - in any way.

Totally agree.

This idea would qualify as "cute", not "useful." Better sorting options and lineage links are breeding pages are things that are of value to everyone, regardless of play style.

While I can't speak for anyone other than myself, I think since TJ's time is limited due to his job and whatever real life throws at him, ideas that improve the overall mechanics of the game are a much better use of that limited time. There's nothing inherently wrong with this suggestion apart from that.

Also, you can create your own scenario of your dragon's mating ritual in your head. You don't need a line or two of canned text to do that. Exercise your own creativity instead of looking to be told what happened. That can be much more rewarding.

So, then, I ask you this; who exactly would find this suggestion useful? Yes, people might think it a nice cute addition to give dragons a bit of character, but does it really have a use?

It seems to me that you think I myself said that I think my suggestion is absolutely useful and needs to be implemented at all costs - and you seem to try very hard to prove me wrong or something. Which you wouldn't do if you had read my first post in this thread.

Edited by Mondat

Also, you can create your own scenario of your dragon's mating ritual in your head. You don't need a line or two of canned text to do that. Exercise your own creativity instead of looking to be told what happened. That can be much more rewarding.

THIS.

Some things are better when you leave to the imagination. There are users here who enjoy to think that their dragons are madly in love with each other and picture romantic experiences to them and not exactly "mating rituals". I remember that I saw once a deviantart of a user with several draws of romantic situations involving their dragons. They were very humjanized and did things like giving flowers to each other and have romantic dinners. Who can tell that this user is right or wrong? She created her own personal way to play the game and her personal world makes her happy. I think that if we decide to define "mating rituals" we will be actually restraining other user's imagination because we would be saying "THIS is the way that all gold dragons mate" instead to leave to the users to build their own RP alternatives. I think it would be more fair to all users to leave the breeding messages as they are now and leave open the alternatives to each user to imagine their dragons relations as better suits them.

THIS.

Some things are better when you leave to the imagination. There are users here who enjoy to think that their dragons are madly in love with each other and picture romantic experiences to them and not exactly "mating rituals". I remember that I saw once a deviantart of a user with several draws of romantic situations involving their dragons. They were very humjanized and did things like giving flowers to each other and have romantic dinners. Who can tell that this user is right or wrong? She created her own personal way to play the game and her personal world makes her happy. I think that if we decide to define "mating rituals" we will be actually restraining other user's imagination because we would be saying "THIS is the way that all gold dragons mate" instead to leave to the users to build their own RP alternatives. I think it would be more fair to all users to leave the breeding messages as they are now and leave open the alternatives to each user to imagine their dragons relations as better suits them.

I admit, i was in favor of this idea as it seemed cool. This was a point that I hadn't considered. I hadn't thought about the fact that maybe some people already DO imagine what their dragon's experiences are like and so... this would hinder them.

I admit, i was in favor of this idea as it seemed cool. This was a point that I hadn't considered. I hadn't thought about the fact that maybe some people already DO imagine what their dragon's experiences are like and so... this would hinder them.

OOOOH. Off to have a word about courtship manners before those next batch of mints are ready for action xd.png.... Last week they were all rutting like maniacs.

THIS.

You do have an interesting point.

However, why do have creators who post dragons in "Dragon Requests" come up with food sources, hunting or mating behaviours then? Why are the descriptions we get not very humanized and you can get some info about mating behaviour of some dragons?

To me personally - and I do speak for myself only - these are dragons. I do not humanize them very much. In my descriptions I give my best to leave them as dragons. No romantic dinners with candle light, wearing clothes or taking a bath in a human bathtub.

Let's take the female Silver description:

Silver females, like most female dragons, eat meat only when a male dragon brings it to them

So to me, it wouldn't make sense to come up with "Xena eats many hamburgers after work", for example.

I cannot be the only one who does not humanize them very much and would not mind getting more small information about the dragons through this way.

What you said doesn't make this suggestion invalid or bad, but it's the same with what you said though, we all create our own DC world smile.gif

You do have an interesting point.

However, why do have creators who post dragons in "Dragon Requests" come up with food sources, hunting or mating behaviours then? Why are the descriptions we get not very humanized and you can get some info about mating behaviour of some dragons?

To me personally - and I do speak for myself only - these are dragons. I do not humanize them very much. In my descriptions I give my best to leave them as dragons. No romantic dinners with candle light, wearing clothes or taking a bath in a human bathtub.

Let's take the female Silver description:

So to me, it wouldn't make sense to come up with "Xena eats many hamburgers after work", for example.

I cannot be the only one who does not humanize them very much and would not mind getting more small information about the dragons through this way.

What you said doesn't make this suggestion invalid or bad, but it's the same with what you said though, we all create our own DC world smile.gif

You see, as the things are today YOU can imagine the breeding process as please you because very few elements are determined. You like to imagine the dragons as wild animals with animal habits. But there are users who like to imagine other things. As the things are now, they CAN imagine whatever makes them happy because there are no additional informations telling that they are wrong or that the dragons behave like wild animals as a mandatory characteristic, so all players are happy now. Why change that and ruin the game for some players in favor of others? I seriously prefer to leave the options open and make everybody happy.

Agree with this.

I do tend toward humanizing in my RP, but when it comes to looking at the dragons as part of the game, I'm more interested in learning about how a breed tends to behave and interact than in leaving things open for me to treat them as if they're people. Besides, no matter what the game (or the spriter) says, I still think, for example, that my drakes are just as intelligent as the other dragons and that it's just racism that causes the other dragons to refuse to mate with them. In other words, more info like this wouldn't change the way I play.

While I think it's perfectly valid for people to object on the grounds that they'd rather see TJ's time put elsewhere, I still wouldn't mind seeing this being implemented, so long as it's players and volunteers putting the info together before being coded in.

Edited by LibbyLishly

You see, as the things are today YOU can imagine the breeding process as please you because very few elements are determined. You like to imagine the dragons as wild animals with animal habits. But there are users who like to imagine other things. As the things are now, they CAN imagine whatever makes them happy because there are no additional informations telling that they are wrong or that the dragons behave like wild animals as a mandatory characteristic, so all players are happy now. Why change that and ruin the game for some players in favor of others? I seriously prefer to leave the options open and make everybody happy.

I quote myself, questions which you appear to have ignored:

I do not think "we" can ruin something which is already in the game, with a rather harmless suggestion and a few lines which you could also find in the descriptions we have already?

I quote myself, questions which you appear to have ignored:

I do not think "we" can ruin something which is already in the game, with a rather harmless suggestion and a few lines which you could also find in the descriptions we have already?

Answering your question, most people don't read what is written in the dragon conception, just what is written in the dragon page description - and there isn't much information there about the dragon habits in general. And, as LibbyLishly said, she already ignores on purpose a lot of things that the dragon creators put in their own creations. So, in the end, this "mating rituals" only will serve to give more things to be ignored by the players, which defeats the purpose of its creation.

Answering your question, most people don't read what is written in the dragon conception, just what is written in the dragon page description - and there isn't much information there about the dragon habits in general. And, as LibbyLishly said, she already ignores on purpose a lot of things that the dragon creators put in their own creations. So, in the end, this "mating rituals" only will serve to give more things to be ignored by the players, which defeats the purpose of its creation.

Eh, I wouldn't say it defeats the purpose of its creation. I see DC through two lenses: the RP lens I use when I'm seeing the dragons as 'people' in a fantasy setting, and the lens of a world where there are hundreds of breeds of dragons, all of whom behave like animals and can be tamed and trained, with more breeds being discovered all the time. There's a divide between the way I 'play' and the way I consciously perceive DC canon. Describing mating rituals would add to the canon but not affect my RP, which is necessarily imperfect because I think canon already does not allow for outright humanization.

Note that I'm not saying the way you play is wrong at all; this is just how I perceive and play the game.

Edited by LibbyLishly

Good point. Here I am referring to my mints rutting away - and if something came up when I bred one that said "Your dragon sings sweetly and does a graceful arabesque as it drops an egg" I would be decidedly displeased biggrin.gif My mints are sex-mad and breed like rabbits. No daintiness about them ! But yours may do a samurai thing instead. Nice to have the choice !

I still think that the place for accurate descriptions about feeding habits, mating rituals and all the stuff is the encyclopedia and not the breeding pages or any other scroll mechanism pages. I think the game pages should stay simple and those who really want to dig in accurate informations about the dragons should seek for these informations in the encyclopedia - which, as far as understood, it's being created with this purpose.