edwardelricfreak

"Foggy" biome/Dark Cave(rn)

I'm just still not convinced it needs a lot of explanation when it and the eggs it holds are supposed to be a total mystery. It's why it was originally a foggy area.

I think it's clear that TJ is moving in the direction of creating a cohesive world for DC. No more "just because it'd be cool to have" but more a world we can imagine existing. World building needs things connected and explained. Perhaps the location of a mysterious place wouldn't need spelled out but I think it would need some explanation for the Encyclopedia. What it is, why it is, where it is. How it is. If I were doing the world building I'd never accept "it's a total mystery so why do we need to explain it." We need to explain it, or it doesn't fit into the world being built.

To be clear here, I'm neither particularly for or against this idea, as long as it doesn't violate any of the dragon breeds' characteristics and as long as it's optional (no exclusive breeds) - as long as it fits into the lore for DC world, which I believe it also must do.

I think it's clear that TJ is moving in the direction of creating a cohesive world for DC. No more "just because it'd be cool to have" but more a world we can imagine existing. World building needs things connected and explained. Perhaps the location of a mysterious place wouldn't need spelled out but I think it would need some explanation for the Encyclopedia. What it is, why it is, where it is. How it is. If I were doing the world building I'd never accept "it's a total mystery so why do we need to explain it." We need to explain it, or it doesn't fit into the world being built.

To be clear here, I'm neither particularly for or against this idea, as long as it doesn't violate any of the dragon breeds' characteristics and as long as it's optional (no exclusive breeds) - as long as it fits into the lore for DC world, which I believe it also must do.

ok ok let me clear something up...

I don't see why we need to get into the little specifics. Personally I'd rather it be something like a moving island, and as Xili_Rem said:

Or just make it an area so saturated with magic that a dragon mother might take shelter there, lay her eggs, and when she returns the cave is just gone because it's magically teleported somewhere else.
plus what MedievalMystic said:
For me, the reasons dragons use the cave is that it's foggy...or very dark. They simply feel their eggs would be better protected in there. We can't see them. Neither can a predator.

I don't think it needs to be FULLY explained in detail. And as it's meant to be mysterious, we could claim it as such. It's one of those things that we sort of know what it is (magical foggy/dark island or cave or whatever that seemingly does not stay in one place), but we don't really know why it exists and know very little of how it exists and functions.

So...it's not that I don't want to explain it at all, but that I don't think it should be fully explained so that users can make their own theories about the how's and why's. c: Does that help?

I guess we could explain the how a bit more, actually. I like the idea of it being protected by a GoN. There are probably some dragons that are native to the island, though most of the eggs are probably from outside dragons that lay their eggs their because they think it will protect them (and they also know the GoN is there). The native dragons and the GoN's power probably have something to do with how it moves around, probably using many many Magi to teleport (or at least levitate) and Greys to create fog or something.

Is that acceptable? o3o

It could be an underground biome, where dragons go to deposit eggs when outside is dangerous or there are natural disasters, epidemics, famines. These huge caves, many deep in the earth, could be full of crystals and luminous mushrooms, ponds and stalactites. There are animals like giant moles and worms so dragons could survive eating them and strange moss.

Eggs doesn't hatch underground, it isn't their natural state so they wait to be moved outside, but if the parents die before leaving the underworld they will stay there until a gentle human take them back to the sun. Since the eggs don't see lights they become dark and full of dusty, so you won't know which dragon is until you are outside.

I think this would be my preference as to me it's a very magical image. I was watching a video about a real-life cave of huge crystals and reading this thread the other day made me think of the video even before I read the post I quoted.

(Dragons wouldn't be able to fit into the real-life one very easily (see images here and here) but I'm imagining one that's a bit more opened up.)

Edited by diaveborn

Either way, I think it makes sense to be guarded by a GoN and for the eggs to be fogged when picked up. If it's a crystal/moss/mushroom-filled cave, I feel like that would defeat the purpose of it being so dark you can't tell what the eggs are. The whole point is that it's an incredibly dark cave, whether that's because of no light source or because there's a thick, dark fog in the cave, or both.

It sounds pretty, yes, but I feel like you would see the eggs. And if the cave is still foggy while having all the glowy stuff, it would be a shame because then you can't see the glowy stuff too well.

I have a suggestion (even if I don't plan to play in this biome): it could be a cavern near the volcanic area filled with vapor that makes impossible to clear see what is inside the cave. The dragons would choose the cavern as an alternative place to lay the eggs exactly because it's a warm place that helps the eggs to hatch. Just a suggestion.

Either way, I think it makes sense to be guarded by a GoN and for the eggs to be fogged when picked up. If it's a crystal/moss/mushroom-filled cave, I feel like that would defeat the purpose of it being so dark you can't tell what the eggs are. The whole point is that it's an incredibly dark cave, whether that's because of no light source or because there's a thick, dark fog in the cave, or both.

It sounds pretty, yes, but I feel like you would see the eggs. And if the cave is still foggy while having all the glowy stuff, it would be a shame because then you can't see the glowy stuff too well.

If a cave is totally dark with absolutly no light sources all dragons qould become blind.

Also this image allow even water-breeds to deposit eggs in this super deep cave, since there could be some openings on the sea, from undersea tunnels and caves.

Dragons like Sunsongs and Skywing and Daydream that need free and open space in the sky would have an high ceiling in this cave that allows them to fly.

If you want to keep the GoN idea we could say that it's a guardian of this place, for those eggs that remains in the dark too long it protects them if the parents died.

And that's why we are allow to catch only 3 eggs in this Biome, because we have to do it quickly before the GoN hear our presence.

This entire explanation doesn't need to be revealed with the implement of the Foggy Biome: it could be something very nice to discovery with the Encyclopedia, if you play enough.

Some advantages of this biome are:

-Everybody will have the same chance to get a CB gold. The more you play the more chances you will have, but it's not more "Oh! I've seen a CB gold, let's take it before that anyone else see it". There is a different kind of challenge: we currently have to compete to catch eggs, although in a foggy biome the challenge is about time and how much would you spend to find what you're looking for.

I've also have another very usefull idea about this foggy Biome, but nobody wants to hear it and it would be immediatly shutted off, so I don't even try.

I have a suggestion (even if I don't plan to play in this biome): it could be a cavern near the volcanic area filled with vapor that makes impossible to clear see what is inside the cave. The dragons would choose the cavern as an alternative place to lay the eggs exactly because it's a warm place that helps the eggs to hatch. Just a suggestion.

It makes sense except for those aquatic and forestal breeds that don't even know what is a Volcano.

Edited by Naruhina_94

If a cave is totally dark with absolutly no light sources all dragons qould become blind.

Not really. I believe will depend of the dragon. Cats are capable to see in the dark in places with almost no light because they have extra cells on their eyes that capture the luminosity. I suppose this will varies from each dragon breed.

Since we have biomes now.. why not have the "old" cave be dark now? Before biomes happened, the cave would have had to of been somewhere on the map where most of the biomes are close enough to each other that you could find any dragon (I'm aware that the old cave is even older than the map is.. and since its been so long since the map got updated, perhaps the original map drawers forgot to add it, or the area hasnt been re-explored since the map was drawn tongue.gif)

This line of thought actually has me a bit excited. Breeds that are found across multiple biomes already, would be drawn there, since its areas they are used to living in anyhow (balloons and metals for example). I have concepts that would fit in a dark cave setting. Maybe the dragons in that area are more aggressive due to remembering the old days when seas of people would come, and so its easier to only be able to hunt at night (in the dark, because torches would grab their attention, and you kind of need to be sneaky...)

Not really. I believe will depend of the dragon. Cats are capable to see in the dark in places with almost no light because they have extra cells on their eyes that capture the luminosity. I suppose this will varies from each dragon breed.

However they must have a little source of light. Almost a little, although they become blind, too.

Since we have biomes now.. why not have the "old" cave be dark now? Before biomes happened, the cave would have had to of been somewhere on the map where most of the biomes are close enough to each other that you could find any dragon (I'm aware that the old cave is even older than the map is.. and since its been so long since the map got updated, perhaps the original map drawers forgot to add it, or the area hasnt been re-explored since the map was drawn tongue.gif)

This line of thought actually has me a bit excited. Breeds that are found across multiple biomes already, would be drawn there, since its areas they are used to living in anyhow (balloons and metals for example). I have concepts that would fit in a dark cave setting. Maybe the dragons in that area are more aggressive due to remembering the old days when seas of people would come, and so its easier to only be able to hunt at night (in the dark, because torches would grab their attention, and you kind of need to be sneaky...)

A place where all biomes are close enought would be the perfect place for this deep cave! Since TJ has said that he will think about a new graphic for the map I think this is the best time to propose it.

link

However they must have a little source of light. Almost a little, although they become blind, too.

Only if the dragons live there permanently and never come out. I assumed the cave would be somewhere that dragons went to lay their eggs for one reason or another, then returned to their own biome.

Edited by LibbyLishly

I have to say, I much prefer this kind of thinking to most of the random magically moving islands, perpetually foggy areas and deep subsidence holes we've had suggested so far. I've always thought we should somehow bring back the old cave in some way, and I know there have been other suggestions to do just that, but I think this would be a cool way to do it.

Edited by TheGrox

Only if the dragons live there permanently and never come out. I assumed the cave would be somewhere that dragons went to lay their eggs for one reason or another, then returned to their own biome.

In fact in my suggest dragons need a place to hide themself if there are some bad reasons like natural disasters, epidemics, famines, bad humans who steal their precious eggs all days.

If a dragon refuse to stay in his territory it must be something very serious and unavoidable, so do not think it can be only temporarily to deposit eggs. If you prefer this second version than the foggy swamp would be a better choice.

It could be an underground biome, where dragons go to deposit eggs when outside is dangerous or there are natural disasters, epidemics, famines. These huge caves, many deep in the earth, could be full of crystals and luminous mushrooms, ponds and stalactites. There are animals like giant moles and worms so dragons could survive eating them and strange moss.

Eggs doesn't hatch underground, it isn't their natural state so they wait to be moved outside, but if the parents die before leaving the underworld they will stay there until a gentle human take them back to the sun. Since the eggs don't see lights they become dark and full of dusty, so you won't know which dragon is until you are outside.

foggy swamp:

It could be a mysterious swamp, always full of fog and creepy trees. There are quicksand everywere and other dark animals, like deer with three eyes or crows with two heads.

Dragons go there because there is a magic pond in the middle of this dark biome that it's like an oasis of purity. If they deposit their eggs there than the hatchling will become strong, brave and healthy with no exceptions, but, since the eggs absorb the magic around them their form and color become blurred and indistinguishable, like an egg made of fog. If you take away an egg from this biome before it hatches you will see the original egg.

Edited by Naruhina_94

In fact in my suggest dragons need a place to hide themself if there are some bad reasons like natural disasters, epidemics, famines, bad humans who steal their precious eggs all days.

If a dragon refuse to stay in his territory it must be something very serious and unavoidable, so do not think it can be only temporarily to deposit eggs. If you prefer this second version than the foggy swamp would be a better choice.

foggy swamp:

It could be a mysterious swamp, always full of fog and creepy trees. There are quicksand everywere and other dark animals, like deer with three eyes or crows with two heads.

Dragons go there because there is a magic pond in the middle of this dark biome that it's like an oasis of purity. If they deposit their eggs there than the hatchling will become strong, brave and healthy with no exceptions, but, since the eggs absorb the magic around them their form and color become blurred and indistinguishable, like an egg made of fog. If you take away an egg from this biome before it hatches you will see the original egg.

Not necessarily. There doesn't have to be a natural disaster for a dragon to head for a magical, 'safe' place, especially if their nests in their own biomes are being pillaged by dragon hunters with increasing frequency. Perhaps the magic draws them there. Perhaps there is a tradition that every 10th egg a dragon female produces must be laid in the dark, foggy, magical place. A dragon may make a specific biome their normal habitat, but there's nothing stopping them from travelling and seeing the world.

ETA: Not that I have a problem with the foggy swamp idea, mind you; I'm just pointing out that the cave itself isn't necessarily a permanent habitat - and actually shouldn't be.

Edited by LibbyLishly

foggy swamp:

IMHO overlong descriptions of said biome is unnecessary and cause more harm than good because every time I refresh I have to see a wall of text before I catch the eggs. Which incidentally would also mean that the eggs are placed way lower than they are in other biomes which make it harder for people to hop between biomes. I can see why coming up with ideas can be fun but let's keep it short and concise, no longer than 2 or 3 lines at best.

ETA: current biome descriptions consist of just one sentence. Let's keep it that way.

ETAA: I shudder to think of how hard it would be to catch eggs with walls of text filled with biome descriptions on the phone because you would have to scroll down and stuff and click things accidentally, etc.

Edited by ylangylang

I don't think people are proposing that all this text appear when the biome is clicked -- at least I join you in hoping not!

I think they are just trying to come up with some logical explanation of how all those different dragons came to lay their eggs in that biome in the first place. I personally don't see a great need for that either, but as some do see the need that is what is being attempted here. I still prefer my idea that it is just a small area or island that includes tiny bits of all the climes of Dragon Cave, but people seem to feel that more explanation than that is needed.

My favorite ideas are the dark cave and foggy island. When someone first suggested the cave, I actually assumed they meant basically just having the original cave back, only it's much darker/filled with fog so you can't see the eggs at all until you take them and unfog them.

I actually don't particularly like the idea of eggs falling into holes. I thought that a magical island would be really neat and maybe not as "boring" as the cave. I did offer an explanation of how the island would work. It's not like I'm just like "hey this is cool, let's do it and not explain it!" but I feel like some of the suggestions are getting in too deep.

I don't like the quicksand-filled swamp, either. Swamps are a very specific kind of habitat that I see very few kinds of dragons actually visiting, even if there is a magical pond somewhere in it.

I'm gonna let everyone else come up with some mechanics, though. o3o I promise I'm not trying to decide what it is, even though I started the thread, just stating my opinions and thoughts on the matter. I'd rather TJ picked what idea he likes best.

I'll update the OP later. I have to go right now, though. If any mods come by and feel like moving some of the ideas to the OP that I haven't posted yet, go right ahead cuz I'ma be gone for a few hours. :P

I don't think people are proposing that all this text appear when the biome is clicked -- at least I join you in hoping not!

No no I also dont think that people are suggesting paragraphs of info, I only think that some of the explanations are overlong and so need to be cut down. The swamp idea in my opinion is far too long to be used as is because it raises too many questions-it would be far better to say it's just a magical swamp rather than all the explanations about strange animals and whatnot.

I think that that is an issue that should be considered anyways, so if you are suggesting an explanation I would ask that you also provide a single short sentence that would be used if this was implemented.

How about something like this:

As you enter the (whatever it ends up being), your vision is suddenly obscured by a dark mist. Through the fog, you can just make out a pile of eggs on the ground.

You don't want to disturb any dragons that may be in there with you, but you think perhaps you could steal one, although you cannot see them clearly. Which do you take?

----------------------------------

Covers the fact that you have no idea if there are any dragons around.

MAYBE an added feature for "FAILED !" instead of "you cannot find" could be "a dragon materialises out of the mist and hurls you out of the cave/off the island with its massive paw..." xd.png

Any massive description doesn't show up in any of the other biomes, so where's the issue ? This LONG stuff is for the encyclopaedia...

Edited by fuzzbucket

How about something like this:

As you enter the (whatever it ends up being), your vision is suddenly obscured by a dark mist. Through the fog, you can just make out a pile of eggs on the ground.

You don't want to disturb any dragons that may be in there with you, but you think perhaps you could steal one, although you cannot see them clearly. Which do you take?

I like this. The full story behind the foggy biome can show up in the Encyclopedia, but this wording is perfect for playing the cave itself.

I'd prefer not to have a failure rate since everyone is likely to constantly get commons that they didn't necessarily need. It's already enough that we can't see the eggs, I think.

I like this. The full story behind the foggy biome can show up in the Encyclopedia, but this wording is perfect for playing the cave itself.

I'd prefer not to have a failure rate since everyone is likely to constantly get commons that they didn't necessarily need. It's already enough that we can't see the eggs, I think.

No - that would be just the message you get when you don't get the egg - in the USUAL biomes, there's those two failure messages: "You try to grab the egg but someone was quicker". and "try as you might you cannot find.."

No - that would be just the message you get when you don't get the egg - in the USUAL biomes, there's those two failure messages: "You try to grab the egg but someone was quicker". and "try as you might you cannot find.."

Oh, oh oh oh. I get it. xd.png Yes, I like that alternate message.

I would prefer something like, "You thought there was an egg here, but it was just the fog playing tricks on you." and/or maybe "You pick up something that looks like an egg, only to find out it's just a large rock."

I would prefer something like, "You thought there was an egg here, but it was just the fog playing tricks on you." and/or maybe "You pick up something that looks like an egg, only to find out it's just a large rock."

I just liked the idea that the dragons that cannot be seen for mist are WATCHING YOU ninja.gif

It's okay, but it makes it seem...iunno, like I wouldn't want to go there? Like now I'm sort of kicked out forever. That's kind of how I see that message. iunno I can't explain it very well.

I sort of feel like if there's a dragon right there that kicks you out, there would then be appropriate messages saying "You really don't want to risk going in there right now. Maybe later?" or something. That's what it makes me think would happen and thus would make the place a bit unappealing.

EDIT: Not saying we can't have that swatting dragon message, I'm just saying that's what I thought of when I saw it. XD I wouldn't mind perhaps a message about seeing movement that looks like a dragon, or seeing glowing eyes, or feeling like a bunch of eyes are watching you, or hearing breathing, or a dragon roaring at you. It would be cool and make the place feel creepy.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

user posted image

Going with the idea I mentioned a few posts up, and the /current/ map.. the red dots are places I think /could/ work for "central" cave options. The big purple dot, is a previously undiscovered volcano possibility.

Each of those red areas are places that dragons could move to, if they were motivated enough to do so (natural disaster, food shortages.. whatever, close enough to each biome). For the more centralized dot, perhaps there is a cave, or pass that connects through mountain to the desert, without having to go up and over the mountain.. im sure any humans living south of the mountain, probably spent time making the path to the desert easier...and dragons could take advantage of it.

really.. there doesnt need to be a back story, or myth or anything tied to it.. its just a conveniently located cave that was forgotton over time.