edwardelricfreak

"Foggy" biome/Dark Cave(rn)

I wouldn't mind if a dragon or two was made specifically made for just that biome. It would probably be made common, though because of all the eggs, it might end up fairly rare. But I think that would be the whole point for a dragon like that. But it's not the point of this suggestion and I would never want a bunch of dragons in there that can't be gotten anywhere else.

Completely agreeing with this - I still love the idea of introducing ONE new breed that would be COMMON which steals other dragons' eggs to raise them as their own, that would be a very nice explanation for why you can find all other breeds there. I also like your suggestion with the GoN guarding the place, though it doesn't explain how the eggs got there in the first place.

If it's just one more common breed, you can simply get it during the first day of its release easily without much chance of other eggs dropping. Or you can simply trade for some, if you miss the initial release and you don't want to bother hunting there yourself. But I'm against releasing a bunch of new breeds that can only be found there, it would simply be frustrating for many players who don't like playing lottery with fogged eggs.

I also like your suggestion with the GoN guarding the place, though it doesn't explain how the eggs got there in the first place.

My post further up did that:

Could be some kind of cave - not accessible from the map, even ? or a "hole" somewhere - where eggs accidentally managed to roll to when dropped in subsiding areas of their native biome.

You do not have to use it, anyway. This would be for those who feel like trying their luck, or just grabbing random CB eggs in general. Don't use it if you don't want to; it won't (well, shouldn't) disadvantage you. c: I don't see how it could shift the odds in either favor.

I do agree that the mystery egg in each biome would be nice. This was just an alternate to that suggestion. It was requested for a separate thread after someone saw the other one. Personally I like both and would be happy with either suggestion implemented. ^^

You know, I could now come up with "but there are so many other useful things TJ should concentrate on, why making something which not all players want to use anyway"? wink.gif

You know, I could now come up with "but there are so many other useful things TJ should concentrate on, why making something which not all players want to use anyway"? wink.gif

The difference (between this and your thread, which you're obviously not-so-subtly referring to) is that the majority of people who've posted so far seem to want this, so it'd be a good use of TJ's time. It would fundamentally change the game, if only slightly, unlike certain other suggestions which would only be superficial changes.

But really, I don't think you should be bringing arguments from other threads into this one.

Edited by TheGrox

But really, I don't think you should be bringing arguments from other threads into this one.

You know, I would like to think that I can bring up arguments whenever I want and that I can write a friendly reply to Eef whenever I want without people thinking bad of me.

I do not know why you think I was thinking about my thread, I have been spending a while on this forum to read the same arguments coming up from time to time.

As far as I remember, things like this came up in my old mystery egg thread linked in the first post (which had a fair bit of discussion on this kind of thing, as I recall).

I see, you are allowed to bring up arguments from other threads. But Mondat is not.

I see, you are allowed to bring up arguments from other threads. But Mondat is not.

Other threads which have contained nearly the exact same discussion as this one a while back, and are about directly related suggestions? Yeah, I think I can in that instance.

I think you two should not be arguing in a public thread....

As for coppers from here breeding any color... um. No. Random results is not how copper breeding is set to work and I don't think adding this biome should change the mechanic.

And suggesting there are coppers here at all if "where dragons from all over get lost or trapped" <- this is the lore for the foggy biome/cave, coppers are too savvy to get lost and they're certainly not going to go somewhere that would trap them. So if this is a biome that dragons have wandered into and can't find their way back out of, then you wouldn't find coppers here. (quoted bit from an earlier post by lavaheart) If this is a place dragons can choose to go for whatever reasons? then you might find coppers there.

I suggest that dragons from this biome be tagged as "cave" which in effect is no biome. So a male copper bred with any dragon from this biome would produce the male's color of copper egg.

And suggesting there are coppers here at all if "where dragons from all over get lost or trapped" <- this is the lore for the foggy biome/cave, coppers are too savvy to get lost and they're certainly not going to go somewhere that would trap them. So if this is a biome that dragons have wandered into and can't find their way back out of, then you wouldn't find coppers here. (quoted bit from an earlier post by lavaheart) If this is a place dragons can choose to go for whatever reasons? then you might find coppers there.

What about my idea that the eggs rolled in there when their biome suffered a bit of subsidence and developed a hole or two ?

So if this is a biome that dragons have wandered into and can't find their way back out of, then you wouldn't find coppers here.

I suggest that dragons from this biome be tagged as "cave" which in effect is no biome. So a male copper bred with any dragon from this biome would produce the male's color of copper egg.

I see this biome as more the whole Dragon Cave geography in microcosm. Just a small isolated island or other area that includes small areas of each "climate" or condition that exist in the Cave. A place where all breeds could live happily in close proximity without being lost or trapped -- or accidentally rolled or fallen.

I definitely agree about dragons from here being listed as "cave" and coppers having no biome effect.

On the whole "rolling eggs" idea, the eggs are not going to roll all the way to a central biome/cave from all over the land. You could argue that they get magically transported there, but why? And how? That doesn't make much sense to me. And mother copper dragons aren't going to be shoving any eggs into holes to "poof" away, even if these are the runts of the litters. I doubt very much that other breeds would do that either.

A bit of lore, for those who may not have read this earlier: though we humans are "stealing" eggs, the dragons are very much aware of what we're doing. They gently nudge the weakest of their eggs to the edges of the nests knowing the humans will adopt them. These runts would have little chance in the wild. The dragons are turning a blind eye to our machinations because it gives all their offspring their best chance. (This is something TJ shared with us years ago, here in the suggestions forum. I very much doubt the thread survives, and couldn't remember what it was about anyway. I'm not at all sure of his wording, but this was the general idea.) My point is that most dragon breeds are pretty good parents. They're not going to lose track of their eggs.

There could be a central gathering place where dragons of all breeds may meet.

You know, I could now come up with "but there are so many other useful things TJ should concentrate on, why making something which not all players want to use anyway"? ;)

Not all players use every part of the site to begin with. And I'm not saying I want this implemented now, or even over certain other suggestions.

Just because you don't like it and wouldn't use it doesn't mean it's a waste of time.

It's definitely a valid reason, but you could technically use it for any suggestion that not every user would need or use.

As for coppers from here breeding any color... um. No. Random results is not how copper breeding is set to work and I don't think adding this biome should change the mechanic.

haha what? When did anyone say that? I was thinking they would act like dragons marked with "cave". These dragons might be marked with "cave" or "fog" or something, but act like "cave" dragons.

And what's this about them getting "trapped"? O.o I wasn't suggesting dragons get trapped on/in this place.

There could be a central gathering place where dragons of all breeds may meet.

Maybe, but why does that matter? Why can't a place that's meant to be a mystery stay a mystery? Why does it need a bunch of explanation?

Maybe there are dragons that live here and breed the eggs, maybe there's a species that steals them, maybe there's a GoN protecting the eggs and once they grow up they leave and the GoN adopts more, maybe the eggs roll away into holes or portals that send them here, maybe maybe maybe.

I'm just still not convinced it needs a lot of explanation when it and the eggs it holds are supposed to be a total mystery. It's why it was originally a foggy area.

Not all players use every part of the site to begin with. And I'm not saying I want this implemented now, or even over certain other suggestions.

Just because you don't like it and wouldn't use it doesn't mean it's a waste of time.

It's definitely a valid reason, but you could technically use it for any suggestion that not every user would need or use.

Exactly. As I said, I wouldn't use it but it doesn't harm me (unless you all get Gold eggs). Good luck smile.gif

I'm just still not convinced it needs a lot of explanation when it and the eggs it holds are supposed to be a total mystery. It's why it was originally a foggy area.

Yes, the mystery of how they got there could be half the fun. wink.gif

Could be some kind of cave - not accessible from the map, even ? or a "hole" somewhere - where eggs accidentally managed to roll to when dropped in subsiding areas of their native biome.

I think I was pretty much on the fence about this idea, and didn't really care much either way... But I really like this explanation! It makes perfect sense.

eef, I was responding to things said by others. An example is that quote from fuzzbucket that Marie19 quoted.

That "hole" idea does not work for me. First of all, iI can't see our lands having frequent issues of subsidence. That's pretty unstable territory. And I can't believe that mother dragons are, on the whole, so uncaring that if the land starts to subside they'll just shrug and go, "oh well."

What I'm saying is, when you think of reasons why these eggs are here, they should be deliberate on the part of the parents. Not kidnapped by other dragons, not accidentally lost. Not a matter of the parents lost or trapped, as someone else suggested. I'm opposed to any explanation that includes eggs there not by choice on the parents' part or the parents there not by choice.

And if this foggy/cave biome is not accessible on the map, how are they going to get there? Where are you going to put the link to it?

I don't really like the hole idea either, it doesn't make much sense. How deep is this hole, when even eggs from the coast roll down into it? And why is it not filled with water then?

If there was a breed that steals eggs from other dragons to raise them, it could be explained in the same way as dragons tolerating humans stealing their eggs - they are smart enough to give humans and egg-stealing dragons the opportunity to steal a weak egg they wouldn't put the effort in to raise themselves.

A mystic gathering place also sounds like a great idea. Or maybe a place where dragons mate, and combined with the GoN idea that came up earlier they could leave the eggs in the care of the GoN, which is responsible for the fog that conceals them from view.

why does that matter? Why can't a place that's meant to be a mystery stay a mystery? Why does it need a bunch of explanation?

Maybe there are dragons that live here and breed the eggs, maybe there's a species that steals them, maybe there's a GoN protecting the eggs and once they grow up they leave and the GoN adopts more, maybe the eggs roll away into holes or portals that send them here, maybe maybe maybe.

I'm going to say this again...

But it seems like everyone wants to keep trying to explain it. I guess a "mystical gathering place guarded by a GoN" is fine but WHY does it need to be explained when it's a mystery?

Also the location is probably for TJ to decide. I would think it's either always moving or just in one of the many many places that don't have an area on the map. I didn't say it wasn't accessible on the map.

I like this idea. A mystery egg seems like a fun idea.

Also why would you need to explain where the Cave is? We already have at least one area in DC that isn't easily found: the Dragon Graveyard. It seems to disappear at random times ICly (OOCly explained as a lack of dragons dying). The Cave could be just the same.

Or just make it an area so saturated with magic that a dragon mother might take shelter there, lay her eggs, and when she returns the cave is just gone because it's magically teleported somewhere else.

I like this idea

also the moving island idea makes me think of Oni Island from Okami, it moves each sundown to a new place

It could be an underground biome, where dragons go to deposit eggs when outside is dangerous or there are natural disasters, epidemics, famines. These huge caves, many deep in the earth, could be full of crystals and luminous mushrooms, ponds and stalactites. There are animals like giant moles and worms so dragons could survive eating them and strange moss.

Eggs doesn't hatch underground, it isn't their natural state so they wait to be moved outside, but if the parents die before leaving the underworld they will stay there until a gentle human take them back to the sun. Since the eggs don't see lights they become dark and full of dusty, so you won't know which dragon is until you are outside.

other idea

It could be a mysterious swamp, always full of fog and creepy trees. There are quicksand everywere and other dark animals, like deer with three eyes or crows with two heads.

Dragons go there because there is a magic pond in the middle of this dark biome that it's like an oasis of purity. If they deposit their eggs there than the hatchling will become strong, brave and healthy with no exceptions, but, since the eggs absorb the magic around them their form and color become blurred and indistinguishable, like an egg made of fog. If you take away an egg from this biome before it hatches you will see the original egg.

Since we will have an ecyclopedia of this world it seems strange to me that we will know nothing about a place that we visited to take eggs, even if it's a foggy Biome.

Edited by Naruhina_94

I like this idea. I see a lot of interesting possibilities for it. On the other hand, if I were to go in there, grab nothing but cave blockers for a week and be stuck with them all for hours, I'd end up frustrated and wouldn't use it anymore.

This might be a nice place for TJ to throw random NEW eggs into...without telling anyone.

For me, the reasons dragons use the cave is that it's foggy...or very dark. They simply feel their eggs would be better protected in there. We can't see them. Neither can a predator.

I like this idea. I see a lot of interesting possibilities for it. On the other hand, if I were to go in there, grab nothing but cave blockers for a week and be stuck with them all for hours, I'd end up frustrated and wouldn't use it anymore.

This might be a nice place for TJ to throw random NEW eggs into...without telling anyone.

Please no, anything but that. I wouldn't mind constantly filling up on blockers - I'd just expand my commons collections that way. Actually, it's more likely I'd go in and grab one or two eggs at a time and fill up on bred eggs, AP eggs, or regular cave eggs, but that's just how I play. But I DO NOT want it to be a place where new eggs just randomly show up with no announcement. I don't even want announced new releases to have this as their exclusive biome. It would make hunting new dragons so much more frustrating for everyone.

I've been following this discussion and I understand that the idea came as an alternative fun lottery game so I have some observations to make.

I think this biome can be considered fun for some players but I really think it should be optional, meaning, if a player never wants to play in this biome they will not lose anything. So I'm strongly against the idea of have exclusive dragons in this biome, I think this biome should have only dragons that can be found in other biomes where we can actually see what we are hunting. I'm not convinced that this foggy place or the idea of hunting in the dark is fun at all, I actually think that it will reveal itself as very disappointing and that probably people will abandon the biome after a while because the odds are against the player. I'm not good in calculations but if we consider that we already have about 200 dragons and there are low drop ratios for rares I would say with confidence that the chances to grab a mint or a guardian in the fog are extensively superior than the chance to get a gold or a silver. Well, I think that it's already hard enough to hunt knowing what you are hunting, I personally doesn't need something that makes the hunting more difficult.

So, go ahead and have your fun but please make it OPTIONAL.

I really have to agree that I wouldn't want new dragons to show up here, especially not as mysteries. It would be extremely frustrating trying to get the egg you want and end up with a bunch of unwanted commons that would immediately be dumped into the AP as soon as possible. Imagine what kind of effect that might have on the AP if people start hunting for dragon releases in this fog in large numbers, each dumping their egg limit back into the AP every five hours. Frustration might be an understatement.

Please no, anything but that. I wouldn't mind constantly filling up on blockers - I'd just expand my commons collections that way. Actually, it's more likely I'd go in and grab one or two eggs at a time and fill up on bred eggs, AP eggs, or regular cave eggs, but that's just how I play. But I DO NOT want it to be a place where new eggs just randomly show up with no announcement. I don't even want announced new releases to have this as their exclusive biome. It would make hunting new dragons so much more frustrating for everyone.

This^ Unfortunately.

I agree that, As some other folks have said, if this were implemented it should be entirely an option to gamble by taking a fogged egg. It shouldn't be a situation where you risk missing out if you decide not to hunt there.

Edited by Silverswift