littlelizzie

Different

He continued to stare at the notebook paper in front of him, tapping some rhythm from the back of his mind with the pen in his hands. It would be extremely unfortunate to have to put down something compromising and he simply didn't find anything he'd done in the past to be 'embarrassing' in the traditional sense. Well, he'd been given detentions several times but the adults in those situations had been emotional in their decision and it seemed to him that most of them abhorred the very idea of being challenged, even when their information was debatable or incorrect. There had been one man though, his sophomore chemistry teacher, who was eager to listen to and debate certain topics, provided it was after classes were out. He smirked. The education system should allow for more people of that type. If was nice to have someone to discuss things with once in a while. Oh! There was an idea. He wrote the words down carefully in flourished cursive. He'd left out an entire aspect of his life trying to think of something. There were plenty of things he could tell.

Several years ago, my parents took me to a party where they met another couple they liked. When they found out that the two had a daughter, they spent the rest of the night attempting to drive us together.

And as it turned out, the girl was very nice, but it made things rather awkward to have to chaperone and dance the young lady all night. It was actually a pity he didn't see her more often... He drifted off, thinking.

(( i guess il start rping the creatures then.))

Jossle and Petra had made it to the edge of the small city underneath the mountain. It had taken them nearly a full day and a half and they were almost out of supplies. They entered the city together with Petra leading looking for merchants or any supplies they can scavenge.

"Petra wait." Jossle said grabbing her arm. "What?" she asked surprised. "You don't pay enough attention look." He let go of her arm and let her turn around. There was barely anyone around. A few people here and there but a lot of creatures were looking through there windows at them. They were being watched.

"Thats weird but none of our concern we still need supplies. Lets go see if we can find a merchant or something with food and water." Jossle agreed but was more vigilant than before.

Jaxson braved a peek at Zayl's paper and found that it was blank. He frowned, "Whats wrong, man? Can't think of anything juicy to share with us?" he teased lightly. Outside, the winds were picking up and the sky was turning a very angry shade of gray. Thunder rattled the store front windows and lighting danced inside the cloud, illuminating the details of the thunderheads for only a second. There was a storm brewing and it looked like a bit of a doozy. Jaxson noticed the developing weather and glanced at his longboard by the door. He didn't want have to ride home in a electrical storm. Maye he could talk one of these people into giving him a ride. He only lived a few blocks away after all. Maybe he could hitch a ride with someone that was heading in the same direction.

Canaan looked out a window to see the storm getting stronger. It was similar weather to a twister. Glancing at her car she worried that it might get damaged in the storm.

"Perhaps we should call an end to the meeting the storm is getting a bit ridiculous." Canaan announced decisively. Even if no one followed her she was leaving before the storm was too bad. Just as she reached the door she watched as a part of the roof from the building across the street was ripped off and thrown against the door to the candy shop effectively trapping them inside.

"Please tell me there is a back door." Canaan asked of no one in particular. Just then a door from who knows where flew down the street barely missing her car. They need to get away from the windows and glass, because going outside was no longer an option.

Chess nearly jumped when the roof hit the door, but she kept smiling. A promise to the dead was a promise all the same. ...Uh-oh... Onee-chan... Keeping these thoughts and emotions hidden from sight was easy. "Why don't we stay here until the storm's over?" she offered, her smile never leaving. "It's much safer then going out." Although it never showed, she was terrified. She was shaking, very faintly. She hated storms. And for a good reason; The night her father died, it was storming. Same with when her mother died. These two 'accidents' were twisted together by this single fact, and it had taken root inside her and given her this fear. But she refused to show her weakness. The fear of storms seemed childish to her, even though she had a reason to be afraid of them.

“Or maybe I just have too much juicy info to share that I can’t decide.” Zayl responded to Jaxson’s teasing. He looked outside, things definitely weren’t looking to great. It was odd, there was no warning about a storm earlier today so why would one pop up right now? This storm appeared to be pretty bad as what looked like part of a roof was now blocking the door. Not that he had any intentions of going outside but it did bring up some concern. He got up form where he was sitting backing away form the window. The meeting probably wouldn’t continue anymore but they couldn’t exactly go anywhere either.

Jaxson's stomach dropped when the door was blocked by a piece of wreckage blown from one of the other shops. The girl with the lavender hair and the flashy wardrobe, mentioned that they should hunker down in the shop until the storm blows over. Jaxson shook his head but didn't say anything. Being in this room, with all of these people his age, it was making him jumpy. Even though he feed the night before, that dull ache all over his body was beginning to flare it's ugly head. He was scared that his "embarrassing secret" would freak everyone out. This was a nice group of people and he felt comfortable with them. It would gum up his chances of a new friend group if he started eating people. Jaxson smiled weakly at Zayl's retort, "Yeah. Will you excuse me?", he said politely, walking to the back of the store.

He locked the door to the bathroom and leaned on the sink. He ran the cold water and splashed some on his face. He needed to relax. He was just trapped in a room full of cute people while mother nature censorkip.gif* slapped the rest of the town. MAybe he could call his mom. No. That would be lame and he didn't want to make her drive in all of this bad weather. He took a few deep breaths and blinked away the blue creeping into his dark eyes. I just have to hold it together. he thought as he exited the bathroom wiping his wet hands on his paint stained jeans,as long as I don't go sex vampire on anyone I think I'll be fine.

Quincy jumped from his chair as soon as he heard the slam of the door being blocked. In a few steps he next to Canaan. "Man, that was a close one, but still it looks like were trapped in here." He turned his head to look around for a emergency exit or anything that would lead outside. He didn't see anything, he turned back to Canaan. "Are you ok?"

The wind outside was furious enough to sound like the tortured wailing of thousands of etheral voices, a rare occurrence but one perfectly possible in the channels created by the town's streets. Edward fumbled with his pen, which clattered to the ground as a nearby ceiling slammed into the storefront, shaking the building by its foundations. Suddenly, it was very dark. It had been light out enough before that there had been no use for burning up electricity, but if they were lucky then the power lines might still have been in tact by that point. He squinted, sliding off his stool and looking around the dimmed room. "There probably is a back door, or a fire escape on one of the upper floors." He said, blinking to try to adjust to the darkness. He could just make out the silvery outlines of some things.

Unfortunately, the multi-floor building had it's access to the store or apartments above on the outside next to the front door which was now blocked. On the upside, there probably wouldn't be any 2x4's penetrating the shop windows and killing someone. He turned in a circle, trying to find something useful (though he wasn't actually objected to hunkering down in the little shop provided the other teens weren't annoying him the entire time). It seemed pretty bare save for jars of candy and a few doors in the back leading to a bathroom and he assumed a supply room as well. Aha! Holding out an arm so that he could push anyone out of the way that he didn't see immediately in the dimness, he made his way to a set of switches next to the restroom door and began flicking them experimentally.

"Yeah, I'm fine. But my car is out there." Canaan knew full well that she should be more worried with her health and well being, but she had a race in a couple of days. She glanced around at everyone else. It seemed that two members had disappeared completely, possibly to the bathroom in the back. The others had thankfully moved away from the windows and from the looks of things they were going to be stuck here all night.

"At least we're trapped in a candy store with a bathroom." Canaan mumbled to herself. She glanced at Quincy she was a bit surprised at his concern.

"It seems we'll have to sleep here unless this storm ends soon. Though even then I doubt we could move the roof." She said to Quincy. She needed to distract herself from looking at her car. The wind was surprisingly getting stronger and the sound of it was mingling with the onslaught of rain that was quickly becoming a curtain of water. This was peculiar weather.

"This storm came from out of nowhere, don't worry about your car. Our first priority should be to make sure everyone's ok, then to find a way out. But yeah it doesn't this roof is going anywhere." He felt the urge to start yapping orders to all to the people that he didn't know. But instead he took a cautious look outside. From what he could see a few buildings near the candy shop were pretty messed up. The building in front of the shop was missing its roof, it was a lucky break that the store was part of a sturdy building. He couldn't see much more thanks to the fallen roof blocking his view.

He turned his back from the window. "Sorry your cars around he corner i couldn't see it." A bolt of lightning struck the ground outside the store, the floor shook at the impact. Holding his footing he faced Canaan "But this storm is ridiculous, its almost like a tornado just up and dropped itself on this street."

He had seen many movies about this type of situation, a group of strangers gets stranded in a building, with ether no way out or unable to leave due to whats waiting for them outside and some how something ends up ether killing them all or they go crazy and start rioting due to their fear. But looking at this group he doubted that would happen.

He pulled out his pocket knife and began to twiddle it in thought. In this kind of situation it would be reckless to leave even if there was a way out. " Can someone try and find a fire exit? Once this storm passes were going to need a way out." He said to no one in particular but in the general direction of the crowd. "At least we have plenty of food, if you count endless candy as food." He mumbled to himself. "This doesn't happen around here often does it? I mean random twisters arn't something i remember seeing in the brochure." He joked to Canaan "Only been here 2 weeks and bam trapped in a building not how i expected my new life to start." He chuckled trying to stop thinking so hard about the storm. The building was probably safe enough and help will come when it passes.

"Thank you dark", Jaxson said, sarcastic and loud when the lights shut off. He shut up, embarrassed. It was a reflex to give his confirmation, even if it did come after the blackout. He stood still, waiting for his eyes to adjust to the new dimness of the store. He wasn't sure why he was surprised, with a storm like that outside, a power outage was inevitable. While distracted, he did not notice a figure walking towards him with his arms out. He was bummed in the chest and caused him to grab him hand. A jolt of infectious warmth raced from his arm into Ed's body. He swore internally, "Sorry, I didn't see you there", he said, releasing his arm.

Jaxson's hand fell to his belt and fumbled in the dark. A small beam of light cut through the gloom. His belt light was still clipped to his waist from working on lights after school. Good thing too. The little LED flashlight was the only source of light in the small shop. Jaxson jumped when a flash of lightning struck the sidewalk outside, momentary lighting the shop as bright as day. "Is everyone alright?" he asked in his voluminous stagehand voice. He moved back across the shop, his hip light illuminating his path. He crouched in front of his back pack and began rummaging through it's contents. He did just come from the stage so that means....yes! "Hey. I have a few flashlights", he said to to group, clicking on the three small LED flashlights to prove his point. He handed one to Zayl since he was close by.

Great, just great, the power went out. That was just what they needed all cooped up in this candy store until this storm decided to leave. He flinched when a bolt of lighting struck near the store. “We do get a small storm from time to time but never anything this bad.” Zayl answered Quincy. This entire situation was crazy, especially considering there was no warning at all.

A light was seen returning from the bathroom in the back. It appeared that Jaxson had some flashlights which was a comforting sign. It was kind of funny when he thought of it. If he wasn’t trying to be friends with all these people he would be looting through their things in the dark. That was of course if he actually needed anything at the time. “Not that I’m complaining but why’ve you got so many lights?” he asked while accepting the light that was given to him.

He pointed the small LED light around just to see where everyone was. With how bad this storm was they could possibly be here all night. That wasn’t the most pleasant thought in the world but at least they had candy. Although Zayl would probably just go without eating, he was used to the hunger.

Theo was spooked by now. The storm was raging and they were trapped inside the candy store. He didn't need a flashlight as he had his DS still on. It doubled as a flashdrive in the dark if he left it on. "Uh, anyone else got a bad feeling about this storm?" he asked. He knew he shouldn't have, but storms like this always freaked him out and gave him a bad feeling, like a sense of dread.

Jaxson smiled at Zayl, a expression lost in the dark between them, "I work on the play's at school as a stagehand. I work in the dark a lot and I'm forgetful", he said, clicking on the remaining two flashlights, "I always carry at least three flashlights on my person at all times. As well as a few other items". He noticed that one of the lights in his hand weren't as bright as the others. Upon inspection, he noticed that a piece of blue filament was still taped over the lens of the light. He ripped the gel off and stuffed it in his back pocket. He would have to remember to re-gel his backstage light after this was over. He waved the two remaining flashlights in the air, "Anyone that wants a light I still have two", he said in his stagehand voice.

The lights flickered on one by one as he tampered with the switches, flickered being the key word. He backed up and looked at the recessed bulbs in the ceiling. They were sputtering in and out atmospherically until with a rumble and a roar the air itself shook. Edward gritted his teeth, bracing himself against the wall as the air itself seemed to tumble. With that bolt (which would have struck the building had it dared to venture a few yards closer) the electricity went completely out, most likely overloaded or severed. He yanked his hand back, hissing as amps shot through his fingers impossibly through the protection of the switch he had his palm resting on. This was some kind of freak storm and if the room weren't dark and filled with people, he might have been interested in it.

There were a few windows near the front looking out partially on the street and an alleyway to some parking out back. Someone, he didn't know who since he'd just met these people, was blocking them partially. He couldn't actually see if the windows were able to be opened or not but they were sure as hell a liability with all of the debris being tossed about outside. It looked like a murder of crows circling the streets. He tried his best to untense as he backed away from the wall, but the storm was already getting on his nerves. He didn't like how sudden and intense it had come on. If it got any more violent then it might as well be classified as a hurricane. He bristled under his coat.

"If this shop has a basement then I suggest we move into it, or at least somewhere without all these windows" he motioned briefly to the partially blocked squares of light near the front, not that anyone could see. The group had clustered into little pods for the most part and someone (again, he didn't know who) was passing out flashlights. He decided that he'd be fine without one. Either way, he was getting out of the open death-prone area full of bodies and breakables to somewhere more closed and comfortable.

Canaan knew that Quincy was right. The people in the building were more important than her car. Cars could be fixed, people were rarely so easily put back together. She took one last glance outside when the lightening bolt struck, she was staring right at it when it happened. It was so bright that all her eyes saw was a bright white light. People were saying that the lights had gone off but her eyes were still glowing with light even when she closed them and tried to rub the sight away. The ground had shook from the lightening, this storm was not natural. She could hear Quincy making a joke.

"No, it's not normal." She managed to say in a controlled voice. Now instead of the white light she saw tendrils of electric blue. Someone was handing out flashlights, she didn't take one. Finally her eyes returned to normal, though the only reason she could tell was because of the flashlights everyone had.

"I agree that we should search for a basement. At the very least there should be a storage closet." Canaan stated loudly enough to be heard but there was still a roughness to her voice that she seemed to only be able to get rid of when talking one on one with someone.

Jaxson shrugged and stuffed the remaining flashlights in his back pocket while they were still on. Twin beam of light danced across the ceiling like a strange advertisement for his ass. He picked his way back back across the store. Who ever said they needed to find a basement or something, he agreed with action. Something about the solidity of the floor told him that they wouldn't be finding a basement. Even without a basement, the back room shouldn't have windows. That was as safe a place as any. Jaxson vaulted the counter and pushed open the pink door in the corner.

Jaxson clipped his flashlight from his belt and waved it around. The concrete floor and lots of boxes told him that this was some kind of storeroom. A series of bright flashes illuminated the outline of the loading door. He smiled in the dark, this room would be safe enough. Well, a lot safer than the room with one wall made of glass. Satisfied that he found a safe place worth moving a large group of misunderstood people.

Jaxson climbed on the counter and held his flashlight under his chin. His face under lit so the dimples in his face were cloaked in shadow, "Hey, everyone!", he yelled, "The storeroom in the back doesn't have any windows. I say we move in there before the front window explodes or something". His voice filled the small space easily, especially from his perch on top of the store counter.

"I agree." Said quincy if they lightning was any closer it'd have blown the windows away, that wouldn't be good. "Come on." He nudged Canaan to follow him before taking two long steps to his backback. It sat right next to Canaan's, he could not tell which was his in this dark , he regretted not taking a flashlight. He had decided to just pick them both up. " I've got your bag Canaan let's get to the basement."

He was about to begin walking when he realized he didnt know where the basment entrance was and it was still to dark. He chuckled " Umm Jaxson was it? Im going to need one of those lights too." He said to the group of people with the lights.