whitebaron

Decrease Summon Cooldown to 1 Week

i don't really like this....

like i understand where the suggestion is coming from but i think that the current cooldown time is alright. i know it sucks and people without GoN are upset about not being able to breed any Avatars, but eventually you WILL summon. i don't think decreasing the cooldown period will significantly change anything.

Edited by Lady Artemis

I'm not opposed to the suggestion. I was able to summon both my GoNs pretty easily. Before- it was just a goal to have them on your scroll. Now that they can breed, people want the new dragons. For those who don't have GoNs, reading the trade posts...there are many people asking a lot for their 2nd gen babies. Many of those being not affordable. So it becomes frustrating to those wanting them. I know they can just wait it out but maybe they don't want to wait so long.

Increasing the chances by making it one week does increase the chance of getting one as well as increase the chance of fails but it does give those more hope of getting one (or more).

That's exactly why I suggested to start with a cooldown of 1 week for people with no GoNs so far - and increase the cooldown by one week for every GoN on a player's scroll.

I kinda got the impression that if you have zero GoNs, its easier to summon your first one successfully than say the second or third. If that's the case (and those who had to wait forever to get their first one were under the old system, not the new, and your experiences would no longer be the same), I have no problem with the way it is.

I think everyone should be able to get ONE without having to kill themselves or wait 3 years. The other two... well ... those should be more work. And people are already starting to dump Avatar eggs to the AP and/or gift them freely. If the issue is "they can't get Avatars", that's just not the case.

Um... Ok o.o So if it does make a difference then you are against it? o.o;

No, not really, but it's more work on TJ's part.

Take in mind you quoted, "GoNs are not suppose to rain down on us like candy bars."

I'm not sure how this contradicts with my previous statement.

I kinda got the impression that if you have zero GoNs, its easier to summon your first one successfully than say the second or third. If that's the case (and those who had to wait forever to get their first one were under the old system, not the new, and your experiences would no longer be the same), I have no problem with the way it is.

I think everyone should be able to get ONE without having to kill themselves or wait 3 years. The other two... well ... those should be more work. And people are already starting to dump Avatar eggs to the AP and/or gift them freely. If the issue is "they can't get Avatars", that's just not the case.

They are starting to go the way of tinsels, IMO. Too many people looking for either bloodswaps or 'best offer', and maybe it's just my fatigue of the initial "OH SHIZZLE NEW DRAGON" feeling but I haven't noticed any interesting offers when I put mine up. So off to the departure board they go tongue.gif

Back to the main idea, I think we were given enough 'upgrade' to the GoN situation when we were given a boost in the percentage of getting one, and given the three new babies. Changing them any further just makes them too common, which defeats their whole mojo.

Is summon cooldowns even an issue?

Summoning sounds like it would take a ridiculous amount of energy, and therefore, would require a while to recuperate from.

So even now after I've summoned my first GoN, I think I'd still prefer to see a 1 week cooldown. It's not totally necessary, though. I think I'll live with it being 2 weeks forever. It just seems like I keep thinking the 2 weeks are up, only to check several times over and find out there are still a few more days to go. :\

Maybe decrease the time but also decrease the chance?

Not that it would help anyone much, but I think the waiting time is the worst and decreasing it would at least give some hope. I'm one of those who still don't have one and I have for sure summoned more than ten times.

But yeah, maybe it'll happen :D

Not to mention, didn't TJ increase the chances of summoning a GoN with this release?

He said he did. And I got a GoN about 1 or 2 summons after, so I'm inclined to believe it.

He said he did. And I got a GoN about 1 or 2 summons after, so I'm inclined to believe it.

What she said smile.gif

I don't see the need to lower the cooldown.

And this is exactly why I'm against opening up GoN breeding or letting them have BSAs in the first place. They transform the GoNs from bragging rights trophies to actually useful dragons, which no longer justifies the notorious difficulty for obtaining them.

Alas, the damage has been done. Making them easier seems to be the only way to go now.

I agree with this completely. May as well lower the cooldown.

I agree with this completely. May as well lower the cooldown.

Why ? They already ARE easier to get.

Reducing the cooldown to one week doesn't double the chances, but it does double the amount of successful summons.

Let's say that right now, there's a 10% chance of a successful summon. That's an average of one successful summon every twenty weeks (ten summons at 10% success rate is 1 successful summon).

Now, if you can summon every week, and it stays at 10% per summon, that's an average of two successful summons every twenty weeks (twenty summons at 10% success rate is 2 successful summons).

So while the chance at each summon succeeding stays the same, you are effectively doubling the amount of successful summons that will occur. That is why I wholeheartedly support this suggestion.

It would be my personal preference for a 1-week but that just personal and just because wink.gif

As looking to summoning my 3rd baby (3 fails so far) as long as people without none are summoning more easily then that is ok by me. I know I would be increasingly frustrated to not have one with this change.

If it changed from 2 weeks to one fab, just try weekly until that egg appears, if not attempt to remember bi-weekly just as doing now.

It may not be my place to really speak after summoning all three GoNs, but I think there's been enough done already to make them easier to get.

I do understand the frustration after summoning the second one after two years from the first (1st and 3rd were pure strokes of luck that lead to me having mouth gaping open out of surprise), but with all the upgrading on chances and having more sets, it's still going to be just pure luck to get one.

In fact, this is more of a way to cause frustration on weekly basis rather than every two weeks.

If I have my calculations going correctly, someone who had started summoning on 26th March 2010 (release day of GoNs) would have had 110 chances at summoning to this day, and possibly been disappointed 110 times during the four years. True, someone had less of those chances, but they will eventually build up. Twice the chances have been increased and on top of it, the complete sets of trios increase it even more... I don't see why one should even ask for more now.

And of course, there are places where you can get more Trio dragons, either by hunting or trading, sometimes by pure gifting.

And like it has been told, some people have been in gifting mood for people, who had no GoNs.

Now I am not one of those with huge sets of trios, only having 3 complete sets... but one shouldn't take a huge stress from this. I know, it's tough to go summoning nothingness over and over again, but it's gonna be worth it.

With chances increased and trio sets influencing the success since 21st May, we've had only 4 weeks to try the new success rates. That's 2-3 summons compared to the previous 108 tries.

Thus... I say give it time with new increased chances. It's only 2-3 summoning tries after change after all, thus, not statistically too big difference yet to be seen how much it affects in the long run.

In fact, this is more of a way to cause frustration on weekly basis rather than every two weeks.

I understand how the argument could be made that since chances were already improved we don't need additional changes, but the quote, I don't get.

Decreasing cooldown to a week means that for the average person, they will spend LESS time frustrated *overall* because it will take less time for them to get a GON if they summon every time the summon action is available to them.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting your quote (maybe you're focusing on subjective experience and saying that being frustrated more often has more of an impact than overall time spent frustrated) but it has seemed that multiple people don't understand the way stuff would work if the cooldown were decreased while chances of summoning stayed the same.

For example, take a bunch of people with one fair die each, numbered 1 through 6, and the number desired is 4. Every time people roll their dice, they have a 1 in 6 chance of rolling a 4. Some people will roll a 4 right away, and others won't - but on average, a person will roll a 4 much sooner if they get to roll once per minute versus once per year.

Cooldown time matters to overall results, even if the chances stay the same.

Edited by diaveborn

(maybe you're focusing on subjective experience and saying that being frustrated more often has more of an impact than overall time spent frustrated)

Yes, this was what I was referring to. Thank you for clarifying this.

While the chance, of course, stays the same (was aware of it already), I can only imagine someone, who already had tried summoning every two weeks and always failed... then would come someone, who is really unlucky on weekly basis for same amount of time as the ones, who have tried summoning for 3-4 years.

Edited by Moonlightelf

I like the idea of decreasing the summon cooldown. I've been summoning regularly since my first attempt (my only successful one, too), and that was in 2011. Granted, I was away on a brief hiatus, but I can assure you that at this point, I feel like I've been summoning nothing forlong enough. I want to have three GoN, gendered as I want them to be, so I can breed Avatars for my own breeding projects and start gifting on the thread I mod. Yes, I can get Avatars from other people and breed those, but considering how "pricey" they still are, and the fact that I want to gift pretty lineages, I would prefer more control. And that control requires actually having the base breeding stock necessary to do the things I want to do.

Moonlightelf, on Jun 24 2014, 07:45 AM

While the chance, of course, stays the same (was aware of it already), I can only imagine someone, who already had tried summoning every two weeks and always failed... then would come someone, who is really unlucky on weekly basis for same amount of time as the ones, who have tried summoning for 3-4 years.

As someone who has been summoning for almost three years now and has yet to get her second dragon, my personal opinion is that more summon chances would be better. Would I get frustrated if they still continued to fail for another couple of years? Yes. But I am already frustrated, if it's going to be another fifty or so summons before I can get my next GoN, I would prefer that it take fifty weeks (almost two months!) of summoning, rather than a hundred weeks (over three months!).

Edited by MoonShark

Yes, this was what I was referring to. Thank you for clarifying this.

This does not apply to everyone. In my case, "Oh yay another fail" would feel way better than "What the hell, this garbage is still on cooldown for a week?".

I have one, but I wouldn't mind it being lowered. This is a casual game, not one meant to cause frustration. I also don't see lowering the wait time to a week as leading to more frustration... Yes you could be denied ever week but you also can retry sooner.

I've personally never really been into the whole idea of having trophy dragons that are just there for bragging rights. I like the idea of them being more of a landmark, a goal for users to reach. That's sort of what I thought they were anyway. I like it when people meet their scroll goals and this change wouldn't hurt be in the slightest (even if I had 3 GoNs I wouldn't feel different). ...But maybe that is because I don't get happy little warm fuzzies because I have something someone else doesn't. ;D

Okay, okay, if I treated the game like it was meant to be a competitive one, maybe I would be a little more bothered when a scroll goal I worked so hard to get suddenly became easier, but for me DC has always been a nice, relaxing, and fun little casual game I do on my spare time.

In the end, I don't really care either way (I don't think a 2 week waiting period kills anyone either), but if a lot of people are getting frustrated and losing enjoyment of the game because they have to wait so long - why not change it?

Yes please! after continuesly failing to summon even 1, with 20 complete trio sets, what frustrates me even more is having to wait 2 weeks to try again.