whitebaron

Decrease Summon Cooldown to 1 Week

I do not mind either way. But it would be easier for me to time it if it was 1 week, simply as it would fall with incubates etc.

Incubate and fertility are both two weeks cooldown as well.

The ones that aren't are teleport (2 days) earthquake and influence (one week.)

However, I do like the idea of including the actual summon action in the BSA list.

I've always wondered why they hadn't been included before and I think I realized that it might have been a waste of space since it wouldn't matter if you had three summoning dragons or three hundred, they would all do the same single action no matter which dragon you clicked on.

I think the reason is that summoning was supposed to be a secret you have to find yourself. It also doesn't appear in the list of BSA's in the help section on your scroll.

I think one week is a bit too short of a cooldown for the summon function, but maybe 10 days or thereabouts? Or have it decrease with a certain number of full sets of trios, as suggested (although 50 sets to get down to a week seems a tad excessive, given the rarity of trios).

I think the reason is that summoning was supposed to be a secret you have to find yourself. It also doesn't appear in the list of BSA's in the help section on your scroll.

That makes sense. Considering the GoN is originally from a different dimension than other dragons, ...I think that's right.

@fuzzbucket Don't forget Vampires. They have the longest cooldown of them all at 31 days.

That makes sense. Considering the GoN is originally from a different dimension than other dragons, ...I think that's right.

@fuzzbucket Don't forget Vampires. They have the longest cooldown of them all at 31 days.

Oops biggrin.gif This is true.

The way I see it, summon is the only bsa with an actual cooldown. Once you have acquired the necessary amounts of red, pinks and magis, it does no affect you at all, you can do everything all say and night.

Get 31 vampires and you get 1 vamp bite a day instead of 1 vamp bite a month! biggrin.gif

GoNs are different :3

Get 31 vampires and you get 1 vamp bite a day instead of 1 vamp bite a month! biggrin.gif

GoNs are different :3

Oh PLEASE no !

Anyway - I imagine the kill limit would stay at least to a degree, and a lot of eggs do die of the bites xd.png

Incubate and fertility are both two weeks cooldown as well.

The ones that aren't are teleport (2 days) earthquake and influence (one week.)

Well, I have a red army so I use incubate when influence is up. Technically incubate is 2 weeks. In practice, for me it's closer to 1 week. Again, I'm speaking for my personal use, not others. Other experiences or scroll uses may differ.

When did I say they were the same? I only compared the "abuseable" part of it. More of Trios =/= more use of BSA. It only raises chances of success. I even said they were different:

"[...]it would take a lot less energy for a red to blow a puff of fire on an egg to heat it up and move it along than it will take for your Trio to get their act together and wear themselves out preforming a ritual to summon a dragon from another realm."

Where on earth does it say that it blows a puff of fire on an egg to warm it? o.o I mean I'm 90% sure on both hatchlings, gendered/ungenderd it says it blows a puff of smoke, but no where on BSA or action performed does it say it just randomly blows a puff of fire to heat it up. ._. It's not just a set of trios, though yes, it generally only takes 3, but again, you can hoard Trios just like you can with any, including reds. It's seriously going to take 100 sets of trios to cooldown 2 weeks compared to just 1 set? Geez. ._.;

Again:

Yes, you can horde Trios, but people have gotten their GON with a single set so that is all it takes and requires less time and effort to obtain than your horde of reds.

It would still take more energy for a horde of Trios to perform this inter-dimensional summoning magic than it will take a dragon to heat an egg. The more of them involved, the more power available, but they are still all wearing themselves out and would naturally require a longer recovery period.

Also, when you have a group involved, you tend to have at least one Bozo who is just along for the ride and has no idea what he's doing. He can, and very often does, have the ability to gum up the works. May I introduce you to my entire herd of Trios? Greater numbers does not equate with greater skill or less energy use. Sometimes more energy is expended putting out fires. "Too many cook spoil the broth."

Edited by Sir Barton

Oh PLEASE no !

Anyway - I imagine the kill limit would stay at least to a degree, and a lot of eggs do die of the bites xd.png

True true lol. xd.png Can you imagine all those eggshells? :c

"Well, I have a red army so I use incubate when influence is up. Technically incubate is 2 weeks. In practice, for me it's closer to 1 week. Again, I'm speaking for my personal use, not others. Other experiences or scroll uses may differ."

As for me I never run out of incubates. I always have a huge excess left over. :3

"Yes, you can horde Trios, but people have gotten their GON with a single set so that is all it takes and requires less time and effort to obtain than your horde of reds.

It would still take more energy for a horde of Trios to perform this inter-dimensional summoing magic than it will take a dragon to heat an egg. The more of them involved, the more power available, but they are still all wearing themselves out and would naturally require a longer recovery period."

First off, I am sooo confused what you are even trying to say. Yes they have, but that's luck. Again more trio sets = better chances = better luck. I'm not sure about it taking less time as I have gotten my army of reds (120+) way before I got my first GoN. o.o; Generally it probably is true. But of course it takes less time to get the summon going, but how about that success? biggrin.gif We're still not even sure how much an added trio set puts things in our favor. And judging by looks, it doesn't look like it does very much. With the Trio BSA it's based on luck and chance, Red is guaranteed and gives results that doesn't have to cause the user worry. No risk involved, you get results, spammable. GoNs = No risk, no guarantee of result, not spammable. You can wait a whole year or so and luck/chance will not take pity on you. I'm not sure where you are even going with the statement... .___.; Also I just had a whole Pink scenerio where they're doing a whole sex change operation on an egg just because they're "changing" the gender to our favor. xP Wouldn't a Pink Incubate need to be upped then since it takes more effort to influence an egg than to warm an egg up? It sounds like it would, but it probably doesn't take more effort.

Uhm I believe you started this off by LOGIC. Logic and common sense would say if you have more workers for something, then less effort is required and time needed to complete would be less. There is your so called "Logic" and "Common sense". Where does it say that the more Trios you use during a summon ritual that the more they have to dish out? e_e;; Because think of it, 1 set = 2 weeks cooldown, but even if you have 100 sets it's still 2 weeks? That's literately 297 more dragons, but they're all having to wait 2 weeks just like it were if there were only 3. I don't see fatigue or strength of a dragon playing a factor here, but it seems like the ritual itself is the limiting factor here. Maybe rather than thinking it was the dragons' inability to evenly spread out input workout, did you ever stop to think it may have just been the ritual itself?

"the more power available, but they are still all wearing themselves out and would naturally require a longer recovery period."

This just doesn't apply to logic as you were first stating. At least you got one thing right and it's the "more power" part. Why would the ritual somehow require more strength for more dragons? Wouldn't it be logical and appealing to common sense that the more you have, the less power is needed from each dragon? You're basically saying the power required to power up the ritual is always going to be multiplied by the amount of sets of trios you have, which I find illogical and not "naturally". Yeah you can still wear yourself out, but if you're with a bunch of other workers then generally you don't need to use as much energy, hence less time needed for relaxation.

This is an example:

I need help building a house. It would take me let's say 1 year to do it by myself. But I can speed it up by having another friend help. May not be that much help, but it is going somewhere. Now let's say I have a whole village help me out that's probably going to help me a lot faster and require less work, doesn't it?

And cause you edited;;;

"Also, when you have a group involved, you tend to have at least one Bozo who is just along for the ride and has no idea what he's doing. He can, and very often does, have the ability to gum up the works. May I introduce you to my entire herd of Trios? Greater numbers does not equate with greater skill or less energy use. Sometimes more energy is expended putting out fires. "Too many cook spoil the broth."

Exactly. So why does that one need to cooldown just as much as the rest? Lol. And since we're talking about some super-sophisticated high-energized that requires super-strength ritual, then doesn't common sense say that these dragons know what they're doing? tongue.gif Again there is your logic. I am not sure at this point if you are just trying to scurry up any ounce of points you can make just to make your point any more valid than any others here. If you ask me it's just not working and it only is contradicting yourself. So now you're basically saying "Alright alright, but 297 of those dragons are bozos and that is why the cooldown is 2 weeks because it is only 3 of the dragons that are doing the actual work! biggrin.gif The other 297 are only there to see if anything's going to happen and until the next time the 3 dragons have enough energy stored they come back only to be bozos again!"

Uh, no. :3

We're not suggesting that each Trio have the BSA individually like reds/magis/pinks/vampires/any other BSA here. We understand it will be a group BSA, but we are only asking to reduce the cooldown because it is not spammable like these individual BSAs. No matter how much trios I hoard, I will only be able to use the BSA once until it comes off cooldown.

Wouldn't it be logical and appealing to common sense that the more you have, the less power is needed from each dragon? You're basically saying the power required to power up the ritual is always going to be multiplied by the amount of sets of trios you have, which I find illogical and not "naturally". Yeah you can still wear yourself out, but if you're with a bunch of other workers then generally you don't need to use as much energy, hence less time needed for relaxation.

The way I see it, each dragon puts in the same amount of effort/power regardless of the number of trio sets you have. So, the more sets you have, the more powerful the ritual becomes, so the higher the chance of successfully summoning. Each dragon would still need the same amount of time to cooldown following this.

I'm pretty sure that makes more sense from an RP perspective, given that the chances do increase with number of trio sets.

Building a house is a terrible analogy to use, but I'll go with it. When building a house, each person doesn't put less effort into it just because there's more people. You all put the same amount of effort in, but the more of you there is, the faster you get it done. Faster house building in this case would equal better chances of summoning successfully (so getting a GoN is faster overall), not lower cooldowns.

The way I see it, each dragon puts in the same amount of effort/power regardless of the number of trio sets you have. So, the more sets you have, the more powerful the ritual becomes, so the higher the chance of successfully summoning. Each dragon would still need the same amount of time to cooldown following this.

I'm pretty sure that makes more sense from an RP perspective, given that the chances do increase with number of trio sets.

Building a house is a terrible analogy to use, but I'll go with it. When building a house, each person doesn't put less effort into it just because there's more people. You all put the same amount of effort in, but the more of you there is, the faster you get it done. Faster house building in this case would equal better chances of summoning successfully (so getting a GoN is faster overall), not lower cooldowns.

^this^

Which will have surprised you, Grox ! xd.png

It took me 3 years of summoning almost every 2 weeks to get my GoN. I would love it if I could summon once a week, even if the odds weren't much better. It's 2x the chances of getting an egg in the long run! With my luck it'll probably take me another 3 years to get a second v.v

Haven't been able to read all of thread, but one week would be great.

True true lol. xd.png Can you imagine all those eggshells? :c

As for me I never run out of incubates. I always have a huge excess left over. :3

First off, I am sooo confused what you are even trying to say. Yes they have, but that's luck. Again more trio sets = better chances = better luck. I'm not sure about it taking less time as I have gotten my army of reds (120+) way before I got my first GoN. o.o; Generally it probably is true. But of course it takes less time to get the summon going, but how about that success? biggrin.gif We're still not even sure how much an added trio set puts things in our favor. And judging by looks, it doesn't look like it does very much. With the Trio BSA it's based on luck and chance, Red is guaranteed and gives results that doesn't have to cause the user worry. No risk involved, you get results, spammable. GoNs = No risk, no guarantee of result, not spammable. You can wait a whole year or so and luck/chance will not take pity on you. I'm not sure where you are even going with the statement... .___.; Also I just had a whole Pink scenerio where they're doing a whole sex change operation on an egg just because they're "changing" the gender to our favor. xP Wouldn't a Pink Incubate need to be upped then since it takes more effort to influence an egg than to warm an egg up? It sounds like it would, but it probably doesn't take more effort.

Uhm I believe you started this off by LOGIC. Logic and common sense would say if you have more workers for something, then less effort is required and time needed to complete would be less. There is your so called "Logic" and "Common sense". Where does it say that the more Trios you use during a summon ritual that the more they have to dish out? e_e;; Because think of it, 1 set = 2 weeks cooldown, but even if you have 100 sets it's still 2 weeks? That's literately 297 more dragons, but they're all having to wait 2 weeks just like it were if there were only 3. I don't see fatigue or strength of a dragon playing a factor here, but it seems like the ritual itself is the limiting factor here. Maybe rather than thinking it was the dragons' inability to evenly spread out input workout, did you ever stop to think it may have just been the ritual itself?

This just doesn't apply to logic as you were first stating. At least you got one thing right and it's the "more power" part. Why would the ritual somehow require more strength for more dragons? Wouldn't it be logical and appealing to common sense that the more you have, the less power is needed from each dragon? You're basically saying the power required to power up the ritual is always going to be multiplied by the amount of sets of trios you have, which I find illogical and not "naturally". Yeah you can still wear yourself out, but if you're with a bunch of other workers then generally you don't need to use as much energy, hence less time needed for relaxation.

This is an example:

I need help building a house. It would take me let's say 1 year to do it by myself. But I can speed it up by having another friend help. May not be that much help, but it is going somewhere. Now let's say I have a whole village help me out that's probably going to help me a lot faster and require less work, doesn't it?

And cause you edited;;;

Exactly. So why does that one need to cooldown just as much as the rest? Lol. And since we're talking about some super-sophisticated high-energized that requires super-strength ritual, then doesn't common sense say that these dragons know what they're doing? tongue.gif Again there is your logic. I am not sure at this point if you are just trying to scurry up any ounce of points you can make just to make your point any more valid than any others here. If you ask me it's just not working and it only is contradicting yourself. So now you're basically saying "Alright alright, but 297 of those dragons are bozos and that is why the cooldown is 2 weeks because it is only 3 of the dragons that are doing the actual work! biggrin.gif The other 297 are only there to see if anything's going to happen and until the next time the 3 dragons have enough energy stored they come back only to be bozos again!"

Uh, no. :3

We're not suggesting that each Trio have the BSA individually like reds/magis/pinks/vampires/any other BSA here. We understand it will be a group BSA, but we are only asking to reduce the cooldown because it is not spammable like these individual BSAs. No matter how much trios I hoard, I will only be able to use the BSA once until it comes off cooldown.

Grox summed it up very well. You're increasing your speed, not using less energy. The recovery period is still going to be the same whether you have three or three hundred dragons working. Group vs. individual effort is not a reasonable argument for a shorter cool down. The work is still the same, and it is obviously a lot of work to create a GON out of nothing or Summon would be more successful, hence the reason for two week recovery period.

While I do agree that it makes sense that more dragons = more power for successfully summoning and that it wouldn't take less of a cooldown, I do think the gradual decrease in cooldown might be okay.

Who knows? Maybe it gets to the point where you have so many that they really don't have to exert as much energy. Besides, I'm pretty sure each additional pair doesn't add too terribly much to the success chance. They certainly aren't adding the same percentage one set on their own are using. Slackers.

Let's break this down. I believe we all can agree this is a summoning ritual. These sort of rituals don't "gain" strength. Each ritual have certain requirements, chants, and even sacrifices. All of this does not require that much energy use. What would require a lot of energy use is probably going through the trouble of sacrifices (which can be blood sacrifices or even little things like a lock of hair). Generally the stronger the deity the more you would have to offer, which isn't always true. If you offer the wrong quantity or even quality of an item(s) required; then the more you are jeopardizing the success of said ritual (and if the ritual is a success in summoning the results will not be pretty on how the summoned being/creature will act). I remember somewhere reading that GoN aren't "divine" like a deity and that was more so our fault labeling a GoN as one. If so you can imagine that the ritual won't be as energy-draining (and even if so it still won't drain that much energy to begin with).

The ritual itself is just used as a "portal" to conjure up whatever creature/being you are trying to summon. A ritual does not just "become stronger". If said ritual required energy then it would only require that amount of energy, not any less, not anymore. Another way I can think of energy being drained is if you conjure something like a Succubi which can drain your energy (often fatal) after conjuring. But GoNs just don't drain energy.

"This breed of dragon was thought to exist only in legend. Although their name varies between cultures, they are often referred to as "Guardians of Nature." They are able to channel the forces of fire, ice and lightning, which allows them to wield tremendous power. Seen very rarely, it is thought that they only become active when something is threatening the territory they have chosen to guard. In order to protect their chosen home, these dragons are incredibly adaptable; they have been seen everywhere from remote mountain ranges, to ancient forests, to the darkest depths of the ocean."

They're summoned for the purpose to protect their environment so nothing negative should come from summoning a GoN other than the work required to summon it in the first place via ritual.

So in theory, if the ritual did require an energy source (IE Trio energy), it would only require a set amount to summon the GoN. We could propose that the reason why the more trio set we have adds to our success is that because the ritual requires a massive source of energy (which is weird to me since that post I read said they weren't suppose to be divine creatures) that a normal set just probably can't give enough of their energy satisfactory to its requirements. That's why it's probably a better chance at summoning when you have more trio sets.

That's why to me it seems the ritual itself is the limiting factor, not the dragons' inability or capability to successfully use their power. The requirement that you could put up for argument is time. Some actual rituals do require certain time requirements like performing under the full moon, time of day/night, certain dates, occurrence of birth/death, etc.

So therefor, it shouldn't require this massive amount of energy needed as you're proclaiming it to be. Less energy used = faster recovery time.

Again, rituals do not get stronger.

You appear to have a surprisingly good knowledge of how the rituals of pixel dragons work. How do you know they work like this?

I always thought of it as more of a magical thing; the trios channel some kind of magical energy to summon this egg. I just can't imagine them sitting down and doing a couple of dull little chants, before maybe sacrificing a hair or two if they're feeling up to it.

I still think that the way I explained it makes more sense.

Your theory is terrible at explaining why more trios increase chances, too. If there was a set amount of energy needed, a single set would either be sufficient to provide that much energy or it wouldn't. I don't see any middle-ground.

We could propose that the reason why the more trio set we have adds to our success is that because the ritual requires a massive source of energy (which is weird to me since that post I read said they weren't suppose to be divine creatures) that a normal set just probably can't give enough of their energy satisfactory to its requirements. That's why it's probably a better chance at summoning when you have more trio sets.
So therefor, it shouldn't require this massive amount of energy needed as you're proclaiming it to be. Less energy used = faster recovery time.
And here you're just contradicting yourself? Edited by TheGrox

You appear to have a surprisingly good knowledge of how the rituals of pixel dragons work. How do you know they work like this?

I always thought of it as more of a magical thing; the trios channel some kind of magical energy to summon this egg. I just can't imagine them sitting down and doing a couple of dull little chants, before maybe sacrificing a hair or two if they're feeling up to it.

Your theory is terrible at explaining why more trios increase chances, too. If there was a set amount of energy needed, a single set would either be sufficient to provide that much energy or it wouldn't. I don't see any middle-ground.

ACTUALLY.... (this being one of my other interests in life....)

A ritual, IRL, uses just as much energy from each participant, however many people are involved. It will sometimes - generally, even - just have a higher chance of success if more people channel into it. They will all still be drained afterwards. Just as drained if there are three or 23 people working together. They all put in everything they've got - that's the point of it.

That will be (in RP/IRL terms) why having more trios will raise your chances of success - but will also be why the cooldown will not be any shorter. You are completely exhausted after taking part, no matter how many of you are involved. More of you working together will invoke more power but it all takes just as much out of each of you.

Grox is spot on in terms of real rituals. (Given our history this will continue to surprise him... wink.gif) Whether TJ and the creators choose to run with the real thing is up to them. But that IS how they work.

Don't cross me ninja.gif

Oh - and you don't have to be a GOD to take part in rituals. You just need at least a couple of people who know what they are doing to direct it all.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Perhaps yours is better indeed. A ritual that gains "strength"? Nevermind, doesn't sound right at all. tongue.gif Basically all I'm seeing here from your side of the argument is that the rituals get stronger, when they actually don't. Magic and Spells can get stronger, but not a ritual, which I think you are confusing it with the other two. o-o; I guess the part where I explained summoning creatures and beings isn't magical to you at all and sounds too realistic. /shrug

Rather than focusing on a little part of my post you should rather be focusing it as a whole which you seem to be neglecting. I only broke it down to what a ritual was afterall, where did you read I said they specifically place hair to summon a GoN? blink.gif Again, I broke it down to teach you what a real summoning ritual was.

"Your theory is terrible at explaining why more trios increase chances, too. If there was a set amount of energy needed, a single set would either be sufficient to provide that much energy or it wouldn't. I don't see any middle-ground."

That's why there's fails involved..? ._.; Take in note that TJ has to incorporate this all into a game setting and of course we won't get a 100% rate of success or 100% realistic concepts. There will always be flaws, but it doesn't mean we cannot improve on it.

@Fuzzbucket: I'm rather curious at how much you know about rituals. You see there's so many different types of rituals and when you said that part about all of them using as much energy on the participant(s) is concerning. The worst a ritual will do to you energy wise will cause fatigue (to my knowledge), if it did drain all of our energy then we'd die. We need energy to function and perform tasks. Another type of ritual that is considered one can be as simple as a handshake. Does that take all your energy? No it does not. It rather has no significant impact on our energy source. Then there are those types of rituals that gives a elevation of higher state of mind like meditation which can only boost your energy, not drain it.

Telling me that all rituals require all your energy and the participant(s) helping out isn't right at all. ._.;

"They all put in everything they've got - that's the point of it. "

The point is to put everything they've got? That's the point of a ritual? Uhm, I believed it the point of a ritual in this case was to summon a creature... unsure.gif Or rituals like meditation was to elevate one's metal mind? unsure.gif

"Oh - and you don't have to be a GOD to take part in rituals. You just need at least a couple of people who know what they are doing to direct it all."

I never said you had to be a God to take part of these rituals, but trust me if the first thing you try to summon is a Deava then you're going to be really unlucky if it decides not taking your life. wink.gif The only part I agree with this statement is that you just need people who know what they're doing.

"Your magma, thunder, and ice dragons attempt to use their power to summon an egg, but they are not successful.. "

Energy is needed to perform any ritual, and yes it does take a great deal of energy. I live in the land of Voodoo and have seen how tired people are after the various rituals performed. You give it your all because you know that's what's required if you expect results. Why would our dragons hold back when they are trying to do this as a gift for you? (as per TJ's explanation to why GONs can't be traded..they are summoned specifically as a gift for you)

Thank you for successfully derailing this thread. Shouldnt discussion about rituals be moved to GD? reporting you all as spam, now.

People are trying to reconcile RP-sense with what they want in game or using RP-sense to show how they don't think this makes sense to implement and I think that's perfectly fine and on topic. It is all conjecture until TJ tells us exactly how the ritual works, but I really don't see people derailing the thread. They're trying to figure out if it makes sense to lower the cooldown or not. Of course many of us would like a lower cooldown so we can try more often but that doesn't mean that all of us will support the suggestion or even just think it makes sense to implement. In the future, though, please just report instead of posting. ^^

Seeing all this ritual discussion makes me think that my idea might not make RP sense, but I think I'll throw it out there just the same - it is just an idea after all. No one has to like it.

I would like it if summoning worked like this: 1-49 attempts had the same chance of success as the summon does now, but the 50th summon was guaranteed to get an egg. That way no one would still be summoning more than three years later without at least 1 GON to show for it. In all other ways summon could remain the same.

Edit: Sorry I realized I had used the wrong numbers for my actual idea. My idea was that no one should have to summon for more than 2 years to get a result. Not that the unlucky few would have to wait 4 years to get an egg.

Edited by raindear