TJ09

2014-05-15 - Minor Feature Update

Out of curiosity, what constitutes "inactivity"? Is it enough to simply log into the site, or does activity require breeding and/or catching eggs? I'm coming up to a point in my postgrad work that means any and all extraneous activities get shelved for a bit (and by a bit, I mean closer to several months). While I doubt I've got names anyone else would want to use, I don't want to run the risk of losing one just because I haven't bred or caught an egg for a few weeks.

I also would like to see the exact definition of "inactivity", preferably from TJ09 since he is the one who is coding it into DC. It should be added to the first post so that we don't have to speculate and risk getting the definition wrong and losing our dragon names.

Dragon Biomes

I'm rolling out a feature that lets you see what biome an egg/dragon was grabbed from. -Now rolled out to everyone.

> Oh! biggrin.gif That's great. Although I personally dislike the idea. That is a very neat idea nevertheless! People would love it!

Name Claiming

You've probably noticed that names haven't been removed from inactive dragons for a while. That's because there's a nicer way to do things. Rather than just wiping all names from inactive users, I'll be testing a feature where you can "steal" the names of dragons belonging to inactive users (that dragon will become unnamed, and you get it instead). This is a bit experimental and will be available to a small set of users at first (for feedback).

> Exactly how does this work?

I WILL FIGHT YOU

Actually am a little more curious to hear about these name stealing things and how long is considered inactive enough.

But other then that, okay then! Seems legit, was confused for a bit but well well. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Sinsdaemn

Oh I just realized that the pictures in lineages have been adjusted somewhat. Unless they haven't.

But uh, yeah they really seem rather prettier now, closer up and stuff. Can't wait for what happens next~

Edited by Sinsdaemn

So the encyclopedia wasn't joke? o.o it'll be kinda cool if it were real, I just don't know what the 'Eventally' [tm] meant

*checks hers*  Hehe, I have a Glaucus Drake that was caught in the Jungle (they originally were spawning in the jungle, not the coast where they belonged).  proof

Gahh I'm so jealous now x3 Nice, I didn't know they were dropping in a wrong biome for a while.

I didn't notice this so much before, but I think the description of gendered hatchlings has changed a little bit. The two sentences don't sit at the same line anymore. "And look! It must be close to maturing." start from a new line, not following the first sentence like before......

> Oh! biggrin.gif That's great. Although I personally dislike the idea. That is a very neat idea nevertheless! People would love it!

laugh.gif Well, I suppose I'm overreacting. I thought it would mean the bred dragons would have a location as well. They don't. Only Cave-born dragons do.

I came on to check the AP before bed and did a double take when I noticed my Terrae egg said forest. Oh man that was exciting to note!

I can't wait how these features come out after the initial testing!

I'm so excited of this new feautures.Thanks TJ09!

Thank you, TJ, all this is great !!

Dragon Biomes:

I wasn't in the initial testing group, so imagine my joy when I discovered this morning that everyone was invited already ! I really like to be able to see where my caveborns come from (and if I ever plan on breeding things with Coppers it will come in very handy).

And who knows, now that it is implemented, there might be more things referring to it in the future. (More breeds that breed like the Coppers do, for example.)

Name Claiming

Marvellous idea ! I don't really understand the reluctance of some users regarding it - it only substitutes for the complete deletion of all names on an inactive scroll, after all. So for people that go inactive actually nothing changes regarding to keeping names that others want.

Now: After a time of x you count as inactive. All your dragons loose their names. If any user tries one of the deleted names while you are gone, he'll get it. If you come back, you'll have to rename all your dragons, and the names chosen by others in the meantime will be lost to you.

After the change: After a time of x you count as inactive. All your dragons keep their names. If any user tries one of the names while you are gone, he'll get it. If you come back, you'll have to rename only those dragons whose names were chosen by others in the meantime. Sure, those names are lost to you, but they would have been in the old system as well.

And you get to keep all other names, which is a big plus not only for the inactive user, but for the whole community, because there will be far less lineages suffering from nameless dragons among the ancestors due to inactivity !

So: No loss, but quite some win ! cool.gif

Encyclopedia:

First of all: I read some people stating that they thought this would never come, because it was first mentioned on April Fool's day. May I remind you, that TJ made the announcement exactly one minute before that day ?! wink.gif That was the beauty of it, and what gave so much more fuel to the prank-or-no-prank guessing-game.

So if it is coming (whenever that may be, though I had some hope that if it would be real, it would premiere at the Birthday Event) it is all legit and made the best April Fool's ever !

However, I'd be thrilled to have it if it comes, but not devastated if it doesn't.

It would give some incentive to collect all species of dragons, but it wouldn't be something that puts you at a disadvantage if you don't. Great thing for a feature ! (And let's face it - the dragons I want to know, read and see most about are those that I love most, and I collect lots of those over time anyway, with or without an encyclopedia.)

So - all for it !

And what intrigues me most about this part of the statement is the "More details forthcoming." part !! ninja.gif

Edited by Lantean_Pegasus

Name Claiming

Marvellous idea ! I don't really understand the reluctance of some users regarding it - it only substitutes for the complete deletion of all names on an inactive scroll, after all. So for people that go inactive actually nothing changes regarding to keeping names that others want.

Now: After a time of x you count as inactive. All your dragons loose their names. If any user tries one of the deleted names while you are gone, he'll get it. If you come back, you'll have to rename all your dragons, and the names chosen by others in the meantime will be lost to you.

Actually that hasn't been the case for a long time now...

If I had a choice in how long names are "safe" before other people can swipe them... I would want a bit longer than the old timeframe. 4 months of NO activity (no logging in, if you log in and log right back out, you are good). 2 months is/was too short a time, 6 months.. is a bit too long.

I actually noticed the biome feature myself just this morning and thought, "Wait... has that always been there?" Nice addition, TJ, thanks.

I thought I noticed something when my CB egg told me about its biome way early this morning. Now I know why.

It's really neat to see that we can finally see in which biomes our dragons were caught. I remember it being mentioned that this feature would be installed (in the future) when the Tri-Horn Wyverns were released in November 2012, as some people said that would make the Tri-Horns that were caught in the Desert (as that's where the Tri-Horns were first released) more valuable, i.e. their offspring would be more desirable. 16 out of my 17 Tri-Horns were caught in the Desert, so I'll be curious to see if them being caught in the Desert is indeed going to make a difference from now on. smile.gif

Name Claiming

Marvellous idea ! I don't really understand the reluctance of some users regarding it...

1. The amount of time has not been yet established by an official source. Some of us have real lives, emergencies, etc. that could potentially prevent being able to keep one's scroll active depending on what that length of time turns out to be.

2. Some of us worked hard to come up with names, thus having them stolen, particularly if things one cannot avoid IRL keeps one away, is [in MY personal opinion] dirty/low down.

3. I am one of those people who doesn't understand why people stalk for names. If it's taken, come up with another one. Be creative. I understand a lot of fandom type names have been taken and other fans might want them (i.e. character names, series names, etc.), but that's the thing with fandoms - there are normally more than a few fans.

Just my personal reasons for reluctance (I shortened the quote to simply what I was replying to).

These changes sound interesting! :3

The biomes don't seem to display for all "regular" eggs -- I see it on some of my CBs, but not on others.

Thank you very much, though!

@Wahya:

Thank you for your explanation.

And I do understand your reasons for not wanting names to be taken away after a certain time in general.

I just understood TJ's announcement in a way that says the "Name Claiming" would be an exact substitute for the old "Name Deletion". And it being that, I think it would be rather better than worse, if the names from inactive scrolls are to be touched at all.

(There has not been anything about the amount of time, that is right, but because there hasn't I assumed it would not change compared to the old amount - whatever that may be/have been.)

@Wahya & fuzzbucket:

I guess the point I didn't take into account was the fact that there has been a relevant amount of time when the deletion of names from inactive scrolls didn't take place. I confess, I didn't realize it, and just played all the months/years (no idea when it changed) under the assumption that after 2 or 3 months of inactivity ("inactivity" meaning not logging in), the names on a scroll would be deleted.

I never bothered to check on the exact time frame, because even with busy times or emergencies in real life, I never came close to two months of not logging in. (Two months of not doing much, maybe, but a simple login and perhaps grabbing an AP egg, well, as long as I was at the internet at all, I could manage that.)

So I didn't realize that the "inactivity doesn't touch names" thing was so much of a routine already, that it could be considered standard. If you take it as the standard, then I see why a change from it would bother people. (Although not me personally, because two months, as I explained above, would work for me.)

Yay! Thanks for the new features!

Just a question: does anyone notice a diference with the "clicks"? Usually when I grab an egg and add it to the hatcheries, once it gains views it is able to accept my own click (and count it as 1). Now some eggs get my clicks and others don't.

(Looked for the word "click" on the previous pages and did not see anything about it, that's why I'm asking).

I've noticed that Leetle Tree's display "Found in: Cave". (But the only Leetle Tree I saw this on was in the wilderness)

And will the Encyclopedia be a click-to open badge thing? And how will we know if a name can be stolen? Maybe a icon next to its name? (Like a Quil [midevil pen] or something?)

Also, since you can only check which biome a dragon appears in if its Cave Born. Shouldn't we be like "that's a ___. Since I have a CB ___. I know they live in _____"?

(Minor issue: if Luigi visits Mario's scroll and clicks on a Thunder Egg. Luigi now magic-ly knows where Thunder Egg's grow/live. Even though Luigi has never seen a Thunder Egg.)

Edited by Drinking_Water