TJ09

2014-05-15 - Minor Feature Update

Oh thank you for the name claiming feature!!! This is very helpful for someone like me who often looses internet for months at a time. I never do get around to renaming my hundreds of dragons, but I am going to start renaming them now smile.gif

I can't wait to see the Encyclopedia too!

Awesome on biome change update. smile.gif

As for the other two I'd like to address..

Encyclopedia. I remember a SS of a chicken egg and it said something like, "Collect 100 (either that or it was 500 ._.) to unlock more intel!"

I hope it wasn't serious lol. I'd hate to collect 100 or even 25 of a species just to gain partial knowledge of it, and I do believe that it still goes on from what I remember. unsure.gif Then again I didn't really pay too much attention, I just scrolled down.

As for names, I don't think I'd be comfortable with that as an update...

Just my opinions.

Thanks for the new features! I'm excited about the name stealing one although offhand I can't think of any names I want.

I'm also concerned about giving a small group of people beta privileges for the name-claiming feature. If they're smart, they'll grab all of the great names that others have had their eyes on for months or years, which will render the feature much less useful for the rest of us.

As for the encyclopedia and the biome identification, I love both of those ideas.

Nifty! I wait to hear more. I'd also be curious about what qualifies a user as "inactive" for their dragons' names to become stolen... I know that when a user is inactive for long enough, all their dragons lose their names (right?)

~Feathers

I imagine the same rules that applied back when they still lost names, would be applied again. 8 weeks of no log in = names (would have been) dropped. Except now, the names wont be erased, unless someone else wants them. So instead of losing (what could be) thousands of dragon names.. now, you'll only be losing the ones people specifically tried to use.

I'm also concerned about giving a small group of people beta privileges for the name-claiming feature. If they're smart, they'll grab all of the great names that others have had their eyes on for months or years, which will render the feature much less useful for the rest of us.

As for the encyclopedia and the biome identification, I love both of those ideas.

Okay, now that I think about it, that does seem a problem. I have seen a few names I wanted for scrolls that are not playable anymore, but if only a few people actually get that privilege (to test) they may get the name sad.gif

Only thing I can do is hope I am in the small group of people testing it out tongue.gif

Yay, everyone has the biome thing now wub.gif

Edited by lollipop00

Now I can see the biome/cave feature when logged in.

News updated to say everyone should have it now...and I do.

Edited by ainisarie

Oh? It seems that people actually did steal the names? The dragon names Yin and Yang seem to have changed breeds.

I can't do it though so ;_;

*checks hers* Hehe, I have a Glaucus Drake that was caught in the Jungle (they originally were spawning in the jungle, not the coast where they belonged). proof

Ooooh.Very cool tweeking of the features,TJ.Really liking how some dragon's stats say "Cave" for their location,while others say which of the biomes they were caught in. biggrin.gif Don't know how the whole name swiping thing works exactly,but it's probably something I won't really use all that much since I actually enjoy the challenge of having to come up with creative alternate spellings and the like if a name I like happens to have already been taken. =happy.gif=

Yay, everyone has the biome thing now wub.gif

This is very nice! Thank you, TJ!

So, I go to pull up an egg to check how long until it hatches...and it says something new! 'Encyclopedia is here!' my mind screamed, but that nagging doubt spurred as I couldn't find anything else. So, of course, it hit me four minutes later to check for a news post, and I find this!

I love knowing where this or that dragon comes from. I love how my GoN came from the Caves, and I love how I can see that I spend WAY too much time in the Forest and Jungle biomes.

Yeah that TM doesn't have me too hopeful on a Dragon book xd.png

I'm not sure how I feel about the name stealing. I use a surname, so of course it wouldn't really help me too much, but for everyone else...some GREAT lineages could be destroyed from stolen names. And the BETA group'll nab all of the good names in my mind.

So, that's my rant!

Edit: spelling

Edited by RueRajaram

Name Claiming

You've probably noticed that names haven't been removed from inactive dragons for a while. That's because there's a nicer way to do things. Rather than just wiping all names from inactive users, I'll be testing a feature where you can "steal" the names of dragons belonging to inactive users (that dragon will become unnamed, and you get it instead). This is a bit experimental and will be available to a small set of users at first (for feedback).

Glad to see this much-requested feature in action.

Just to let everyone know about the naming feature.

[18:39:40]<Thu> Ok kiddos.. im about to kill this drama with fire.

[18:39:52] <Thu> Inactive names can NOT be taken by the beta testers.

[18:40:10] <Thu> It wasnt even implemented yet as a test.. it was an announcement that it is COMING

[18:40:36] <Thu> I just confirmed it with TJ

For those people who are worried about not being included in beta (and the possibility of not being able to claim those oh so highly desired names):

Name stealing has NOT been implemented. It is only a feature announcement.. the beta testers are NOT able to do this. So don't worry about not being able to try for those names yet.

Aw, now I can't lie that I caught my nebula dragons in the Alpine tongue.gif

Oh well, I really like the location update. It'll be helpful for descriptions biggrin.gif

EDIT: Sorry, I'm really new to this site, but how does a dragon get to be inactive? Not recieve views for a certain amount of time?

Edited by GalaxyPassion13

EDIT: Sorry, I'm really new to this site, but how does a dragon get to be inactive? Not recieve views for a certain amount of time?

It means when the user is inactive, not just the dragon. Such as, the user doesn't log into their scroll for a couple months or however long TJ decides the inactivity time is.

Haha! A few of my Tri-Horns finally show they were caught in the desert before TJ fixed their drop zone.. X3

Edit: Nice feature! Also fixed typos.

Edited by Lyxii

First Soon™, now Eventually™.

What trademark?!

Yay! I can see locations too!

I think the name stealing might be just that, if user A is inactive and user B tries to name a dragon with user A's name, the name will go to user B. Or maybe not, I don't know.

For those people who are worried about not being included in beta (and the possibility of not being able to claim those oh so highly desired names):

Name stealing has NOT been implemented. It is only a feature announcement.. the beta testers are NOT able to do this. So don't worry about not being able to try for those names yet.

I'm confused about what "will be available to a small set of users at first" but this is good to hear - thanks for the info!

Ahahaha... I read the first three posts after TJ's:

Wheeee, thanks, TJ! I'm very excited about all of this. =3

Wheeee!  Sounds  really good!

Wheee! Great! biggrin.gif

Edit: Yay, first page! xd.png

and thought to myself, "And the three little pigs cried "whee whee whee" all the way home."

Hahaha laugh.gif

1 - I like this change, it's a neat little bit of information and helpful for breeding Coppers. One thing though; on the dragon's pages it says "Location: Mountains" for dragons caught in the Alpine. Could it be changed to say "Alpine", please? Just for the sake of consistency.

2 - Since the Encyclopedia was announced on April Fools Day, I still don't believe it's happening. I don't believe anything said on April Fools Day unless it is undeniably true. No offense meant to anyone, it's just that I soured on it a long time ago due to people not knowing when to stop and excusing everything with "you just can't take a joke". Heh.

3 - Good idea, but I have a couple questions. How long exactly do you have to be away to be considered inactive and what exactly does being inactive mean? Does just logging in keep you from being considered inactive or do you have to catch/breed eggs to be considered active? I just want to make sure I understand the way this works completely.

1 - I like this change, it's a neat little bit of information and helpful for breeding Coppers. One thing though; on the dragon's pages it says "Location: Mountains" for dragons caught in the Alpine. Could it be changed to say "Alpine", please? Just for the sake of consistency.

2 - Since the Encyclopedia was announced on April Fools Day, I still don't believe it's happening. I don't believe anything said on April Fools Day unless it is undeniably true. No offense meant to anyone, it's just that I soured on it a long time ago due to people not knowing when to stop and excusing everything with "you just can't take a joke". Heh.

3 - Good idea, but I have a couple questions. How long exactly do you have to be away to be considered inactive and what exactly does being inactive mean? Does just logging in keep you from being considered inactive or do you have to catch/breed eggs to be considered active? I just want to make sure I understand the way this works completely.

For the Alpine/Mountain thingie, I say change the Alpine to Mountain. Only the biome states that it's called Alpine, even in the biome description says "mountain" and never "Alpine".