TJ09

2014-05-15 - Minor Feature Update

So is there a way you can look at the dragon who's name you want? For example, if I want to name a Pillow Dragon 'Goofball' but the name is already taken, is there a way you can view THAT specific dragon?

Best way to do it is

http://dragcave.net/lineage/n/dragon's name here

It will work fine with spaces in my browser, (Firefox) and yes, along with the dragon named XXXXXX, there is a dragon named "Your Name Here" too! xd.png

^i use that to go find the dragons i breed more often xd.png (instead of searching back and forth between the pages, lol)

yay for name stealing!! biggrin.gif there's so many names i want... (i bet there's people who want me dead as well xd.png)

and yay for the Dragon Enciclopaedia! (?) xd.png

also, i didn't know that, @SolarCat. thank you! xd.png

Wow, Encyclopedia! it finally turned out not to be an April Fool's day joke!!

btw, what does trademark mean?

I have to agree with some, that I'd feel much better about this name-taking change if it was announced how *long* before the scroll is considered inactive. Imo 8 weeks is just too short, and I really really hope it won't go back to that.

I'd really like an official ruling on that so I can figure out just how often I have to poke my friend so our lineage doesn't get ruined by names disappearing.

YAAAAAAAY!!!! Looking forward to it. The encyclopedia is gonna be useful. As well as the biome thing.

Cool.

Liking the new stuff that has rolled out and the future implementations.

I would say a 6 months period before a scroll becomes inactive should be ok. JMO

So is there a way you can look at the dragon who's name you want? For example, if I want to name a Pillow Dragon 'Goofball' but the name is already taken, is there a way you can view THAT specific dragon?

dragcave.net/view(or /lineage)/N/(insert name)

For example, Yukrin

http://dragcave.net/lineage/n/Yukrin

Edited by IcarusTheDragon

This is a bit experimental and will be available to a small set of users at first (for feedback).

-swipes every newly available name-

-yes every single one-

Feedback: "Great feature, A+ job, so wonderful, yep it's ready for a public release."

~Spam removed; please add some text to your posts~ Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

For those people who are worried about not being included in beta (and the possibility of not being able to claim those oh so highly desired names):

Name stealing has NOT been implemented. It is only a feature announcement.. the beta testers are NOT able to do this. So don't worry about not being able to try for those names yet.

Quoting this from a few pages back, since not everyone has seen this and it might help a bit in explaining the Name Stealing feature, which has not yet begun. smile.gif

Ooh, the biome-source thingie is cool. I was wondering about that when I saw it on the site.

Neat, now I have proof that my trihorns were caught in the desert, and my turpentines were from the mountains.

-swipes every newly available name-

-yes every single one-

Feedback: "Great feature, A+ job, so wonderful, yep it's ready for a public release."

Don't you dare, Nine >8C Big meanie tongue.gif

Have some of my names been swiped, have I been forgetting to name some dragons, have new dragons been popping onto my scroll out of nowhere, or has someone hacked me and been collected dragons? Anyway, idc, but I'll have be extra cautious about my names because I'm not active anymore, and dragcave is beginning to bore me out.

Downtime comes one hour earlier today. And everyone is accessible to new location feature now!

Edit: it's not one hour earlier, Downtime comes again...>.<...the second time today...

Edited by SunSunSun

At first I couldn't see the locations at all, now I can and so I've found out that two of my Trihorn are also from the Desert laugh.gif

Still I'm most looking forward to the Encyclopedia^^

Nice work, iloce the biome location under the draon. On the other hand i hate the name stealing, its really unfair to some users who are probably away. I was thinking of letting us able to adopt one dragon every certain amount of time from te wild dragons page. So the frills and bright dragons arent rerelease, but we are able to get them through that.

I really like the new biome feature. It will help with my copper breeding. It also shows pre biome as Location: Cave so thats good too. The name stealing idea looks interesting, but How long do you have to be inactive before people stat stealing your names? ie what happens if you go away on holiday/ had family emergency or if your internet is disrupted. sometimes youu have no control over those sorts of things and it would be upsetting if you returned to find your names had been stolen. could you pehaps have an amnesty in those sorts of cases?

edit: thanks for your reply xeyla

and agreed,yes it would be better than all your names disappearing

we have had some awesome updates recently. Thanks TJ . Especially love the account log page , the ability to call up my BSA dragons, and the available to breed page. Indispensable, the new biome on the view page addition will soon probably be added to this

Edited by velvet_paw

I don't think some of you people realize that not too long ago if you were inactive for 8 weeks ALL of your dragons names were deleted. So this new way to get names is great for people that are playing. If you go inactive you might loose a name here or there, but at least most of the names are still there if you come back. Better then coming back to no names. I have DC as my home page, so when the computer is turned on I'm logged in to my dragons. Even if I were to take a break I would still be logged in so not inactive. I'm really looking forward to the encyclopedia, hope it's released sooner then later.

I really like the new biome feature. It will help with my copper breeding. It also shows pre biome as Location: Cave so thats good too. The name stealing idea looks interesting, but How long do you have to be inactive before people stat stealing your names? ie what happens if you go away on holiday/ had family emergency or if your internet is disrupted. sometimes youu have no control over those sorts of things and it would be upsetting if you returned to find your names had been stolen. could you pehaps have an amnesty in those sorts of cases?

Right now, the inactivity length of time is 8 weeks (2 months). I would assume the length will stay the same, unless TJ says otherwise once the new feature is rolled out. Everybody used to lose their names regardless of the circumstance, at the 8 week mark of inactivity. This feature will allow you to keep your names if nobody else tries to take them, so if you use a family name then you should be fine.

Someone had mentioned a couple pages back that the trees show "cave" as their origin. I think I had gotten mine prior to biomes, but does anyone have a tree showing a biome they came from?

EDIT: Huh, I must have misread something then. Can the trees be found in any biome or just the forest?

I really like the name claim idea. Not because I'm miss anti-creativity, but because it prevents this site from turning into Neopets with the names "Dragon41010111" and "IMREALLYAWESOMEHI" for the sake of not having any even remotely available names.

http://dragcave.net/view/rghHm

The forums always provide inspiration on what to name dragons

EDIT: Just checked my trihorns and all but one of them are from the desert.

Edited by Wookieinmashoo

Someone had mentioned a couple pages back that the trees show "cave" as their origin. I think I had gotten mine prior to biomes, but does anyone have a tree showing a biome they came from?

Mine shows:

user posted image