LadyNightshade

Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Ok Pie, sure, it's not unrealistic for him to act that way in thinking "ew gross it's a girl"....but he doesn't say that! If he had maybe freaked out *more* about her being a girl, then it would have seemed like it really was an "ew gross it's a girl" situation...but it's not.

And it's a really *really* noticeable difference from the first game. What came off as just a young boy who thought he might be friends with another boy but was just a bit surprised she was a girl and brushed it off, is now a young boy who thought he might be friends with another boy and was slightly disappointed and very shocked that she was a girl and seems to begrudgingly accept the friendship. He boasts multiple times throughout the game about his achievements and even seems surprised when you do anything. I remember him saying something about being amazed at how I managed to sneak up on that Poochyena in that little tutorial. >___>

Anyway, I'm not really trying to delve too much into the topic of sexism, but I just want to say that, while it might be "realistic", it's also delivering the message of "this is how other young boys act towards girls, it's okay to act like this if you're a young boy". Same with the girl's side. The original text wasn't nearly as bad, though Brendan did seem to come off as a little bit arrogant and cocky from time to time, but now it just seems he views May as being completely inferior to him because she's a girl. That's the point being made.

Not sure the Pokemon world is patriarchal or not. I'm not so sure I've ever seen proof of that other than how new Brendan treats the player. o3o

But anyway, on a lighter topic: with all the discussion about how that one character (I assume its one of the GF avatars) gives you a certificate for showing a Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza from the respective original games (I think you have to have G/K/R from R/S/E respectively, so Groudon from Emerald or Rayquaza from Sapphire wouldn't work?), I just wanted to say that I remember my mom telling me that if you have the shiny event Beldum (possibly its evolutions too) in your party and you talk to Mr. Stone after delivering the letter to Steven, that he'll comment on it looking like one of Steven's Beldums. o3o Just a nice easter egg. Not sure if anyone noticed that or not. I haven't tried talking to him with a Metang yet so I don't know if it will work. It might still register since it's still from the event.

Ah, I didn't realize that he was so arrogant throughout the game. That's different. I thought it was just that the opening was slightly different from the originals, which I didn't see as being too much of an issue (some young boys don't like to hang around girls, which is probably why he seemed disappointed). But if he's continually putting down the player, that is entirely different.

Next parts contain spoilers:

Either way, the games are still amazing and probably my favorite entries into the Pokémon series. Especially with Deoxys being there <3

~

Regarding the alternate timelines, I'm thinking that it's also a reason for there to be two versions of games with slightly different events; the leader of the team opposite your version's main villains (Archie in OR, Maxie in AS) mentions at the Battle Frontier Resort how, in a slightly different timeline, they could've easily been the one wreaking havoc on Hoenn by accident.

Yeah he's not JUST a tool in the opening but that part really gets me because it doesn't read to me like "aw man I was hoping for a boy to hang around with" as it would have if he hadn't specifically said that he'd been hoping you were a boy BECAUSE you are the child of a Gym Leader so instead it reads like "You GYM LEADER child Gym Leader POWERFUL so you should be BOY" :L

pftheheehe are we talking about pokemon characters we'd want to romance

Archie would be my first pick tbh even tho he's a complete fashion disaster

yeah brendan isnt my rival in the game since im playing as him but i remember him being a dunce when i played may in emerald.

also bummed that galladeite and sceptilite are post-game since i picked mudkip :I

Edited by Switch

ohh my gosh i would love that if you dont mind ;u; i have a gallade i really want to use as mega for E4. i could give you another mega stone if you want maybe or breed you something?? idk aa ty ;u;

Nah you can just have it

I haven't actually picked it up yet since I'm doin a few things before I do the Delta Episode (I still really really don't wanna talk to jerkface any more but I have to do it to be able to go to the Battle Resort and I really want to use some of those move tutors) but after I grab it you can have it |D

okay if you're sure ;u; you can send me a pm or something when you get it? there's no rush or anything tysm

i would be so down for a pokemon game with dating though pfffft

Alright, I shouldn't be long |D

Also whoa apparently mons with the Contest Star ribbon get a special battle entry animation 'cause a big old ribbon shows up over Rachen for a few seconds when I use her in battle now

Hadn't sent her into battle over here before just now so I hadn't noticed c':

...Man I don't even want to romance anyone. I just want to be BEST FRIENDS FOREVER with N. Math and Pokemon all day, that's it, nothing else in life even matters

I think the problem with Brendan is that?? Yes, there are real life ten-year-olds who act like that. But first: this is Pokemon. There are magical creatures that beat the hell out of each other for your amusement. We can CHOOSE to only have realism when it makes things more fun, and this exact piece of realism doesn't add to the appeal of the game at all. And second, nothing is ever done or said at all to make it clear that Brendan is WRONG to say that stuff. He's a protagonist, he's generally cool if a prick occasionally, and kids who see him say that kind of thing are going to start thinking those are okay things to say. And they're not. :\

I learned that you only start getting random horde battles after getting the mega bracelet or whatever. o3o

Though, I've been using Sweet Scent to initiate them and, though they're a bit dangerous when I have a Pokemon without an area attack right now, they're AMAZING for grinding. My Graveler is super useful and has Bulldoze and the Magnemites and Minuns aren't really enjoying it. :U Sturdy Magnemites+Supersonic are super annoying though.

Buuuuut I'm not really starting hordes to level. I'm trying to find a Minun horde with a Plusle and not getting much luck. :c Curse you, really low encounter rates!

EDIT: Huzzah! Found one finally.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

How do I restart the game?

Like as in totally restart? From the start menu, you must press and hold up+select+B and go through some confirmation screens.

Unless you mean reset? You can hard reset by turning on and off the system (or at least going to the home menu, closing the game, and then starting it again), or soft reset by pressing start, L, and R all at once.

How do I get my glalie to my game it say I all ready sent but i can't find it any were at all if I do not get I will cry.

Edited by Remy400

How do I get my glalie to my game it say I all ready sent but i can't find it any were at all if I do not get I will cry.

First, go into the demo and talk to Steven, choose the option to transfer the Glalie to your game.

Then in ORAS, after you get the Pokedex, you have to choose 'Pokemon Link' from the main menu (before you start your game). That will transfer the Glalie into one of your PC boxes.

--

Got the games today biggrin.gif AS for my bf, OR for myself. Only just started because I can't exactly skip work to play xd.png

Also weren't the Groudon/Kyogre figures supposed to be pre-order bonuses? I didn't preorder but at the store I got them for free anyway (both, since I got both games). Not complaining of course, even if they do look quite a bit... worse than I thought they would xd.png

Edited by Rhynn Collins

Rhynn: Well, usually when there are leftover pre-order items, they just become available to everyone on a first come, first serve basis. At least that's been my experience. c: Congrats on the figurines! now give them to meee

Found some people researching shiny chaining with the Dexnav over on Reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/2..._shiny_pokemon/

Good info for anyone who wants to go hunting for monsters instead of bargains this weekend. biggrin.gif Though you should still get out because it's another National Streetpass weekend too.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/47...l2Ui-pyCCAgLfeG

Good info for anyone who wants to go hunting for monsters instead of bargains this weekend. :D

OOH that's great to know!

Although, I'm not really sure how to start a chain? I assume it's either whenever the DexNav responds to a nearby Pokemon or you initiate one by selecting the Pokemon to search, right? I guess it doesn't really matter, so long as it's not a normal battle and you don't scare off Pokemon. WAY easier than the Pokeradar by far!

Is it bad that i like to spend my time, slowly playing this game?

Nope, i'm spending my time slowly going through the game, too. You can enjoy it more, that way c:

Is it bad that i like to spend my time, slowly playing this game?

Everyone has a different play style smile.gif Some people like to rush (me) lol and some just like to do things slow nothing wrong with that happy.gif

Thank you for posting this! I was wondering if anyone was experimenting with it and had notes xd.png

I'm taking it slow too. biggrin.gif Just made it to the lady who's in charge of the storage system for this region, though I'm tempted to start doing some contests.

I heard you get Cosplay Pikachu depending on the contest you enter though. Which one is best? (Or which one did everyone here end up getting? xd.png )

And welcome! happy.gif Just doing my part to help out my fellow Trainers. Pokemon is a global game, so we've all gotta work together. *nods*

Edited by Gamekatt101

Bahaha, I'm taking it super ultra slow. Right now I'm juuust above Slateport at the first grass patch (haven't even talked to Stern yet :P). I took a break to try to shiny hunt. It's getting dangerous with levels but the experience and increased odds of shiny are worth it. XD Hoping I can find a 3 star shiny Electrike, and maybe it will have a good egg move (Flame Burst!), too. I found a 1 star high level one with Flame Burst, but I really want a 3 star Dx

Also, for those who don't want to have to get tons of repels: I've found that running JUST off screen of the edge of a patch of grass basically forces the Pokemon to be on the edge. Above Slateport, I've been running around up and down between the sign and the fence post on the right. It's the furthest I could run around and still trigger the DexNav. All the Pokemon so far have been on the rightmost edge of the grass patch there. c:

Edited by edwardelricfreak

I heard you get Cosplay Pikachu depending on the contest you enter though. Which one is best? (Or which one did everyone here end up getting? xd.png )

Cosplay Pikachu can change its costume at any time! And I think you just always get the cute costume to begin with, I entered a coolness contest first and got that. It forgets and relearns the signature moves every time too, so there's no risk. It also starts with a ton of every contest stat too so it's basically an early-contest juggernaut.

Finally caught Kyogre @_@ *retreats into a corner to super train like hell*