LadyNightshade

Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Yeah, Mega Pinsir needs to be banned. It does so much damage with Return. It's normal form is outclassed by Heracross, but with a mega, it can 2HKO fully invested Skarmory at +2. So scary, and almost as hard to switch into as Staraptor. It has the speed as well, which is what blocks Staraptor from greatness.

I actually really want a Mega Muk, which is a Muk that's either larger or in a trash bag so I can rub it into genwunners that Muk is the grower version if Garboder .-.

So this is pretty much my opinion on M-Audino:

Kyra: Seriously, they could have done Galvantula, Zoroark, Scolipede, Garbodor, Zebstrika, Emolga, Whimsicott, Scrafty, Cofagrigus, Hydreigon, or Volcarona

Kyra: Or any one of the other actually popular Gen V Pokemon

Kyra: But they did Audino

Okay, ya know what... Audino freakin' deserves a mega evolution, and here's why.

(1) Audinos are AMAZING. We've all beaten up like fifty million of them just for EXP, and they don't even bat an eyelid. They even heal you. They heal you as you beat them up. In comparison, we all get punched and start wailing for Mommy. Who cares whether or not Audinos are popular in competitive battles (or otherwise)? They're selfless and adorable and awesome.

(2) Do powerful 'mons like Volcarona actually need mega evolutions? This is just a personal thing, but I kind of wish they'd limited mega evolutions to pokemon like Dunsparce or Beedrill or Delcatty, who might actually need the giant stat boosts in order to "catch up" to the more powerful/overused 'mons. (Not that I don't adore Charizard or Gengar and their mega evolutions, but we already see so many of them in online battles, and I think it would be nice to see a bit more variety. Also, I'm still bummed that I can't take my Pidgeot or Linoone or Arbok into competitive battles without getting completely squashed by some dude's Metagross or Talonflame or Mega Kangaskhan.)

(3) All hope is not lost for those other cool Gen V mega evos. Game Freak could be planning to do them in the future. Maybe some of them will be revealed in the upcoming game; maybe they'll wait til gen 20 and suddenly go "Oh wow, why didn't we think of this design for Mega Scrafty before? People will LOVE DIS BLING."

(4) Garbodor is popular? What is this world coming toooooooooooo [/sarcasm]

(Please don't interpret this as an angry rant; I do respect that you have your own opinion on this and I'm not trying to preach. I just wanted to share my opinion, too.)

Edited by Athkore

We also beat up thousands of other pokemon. Audino isn't the only one.

Charizard needed to catch up. It sucked. And there's no reason for sucky mons to catch up. They suck and shouldn't be used outside of NU. Pidgeot and Linoone are just plain bad. Why would you want to use them, unless they're your favourite designs? If you do use them, use them in NU and you won't be beaten up by actually good Pokemon. Also, Metagross isn't that good wink.gif

Mega Scrafty would still be 4x weak to fairy and weak to fighting, and unless it got a 100 point increase in speed, would still be too slow to sweep and be setup fodder defensively. Also, we didn't com up with the same design because we, uh, HAVE DIFFERENT BRAINS.

Garbodor is better than Muk. And everything else from gen one. There is seriously nothing wrong with Garbodor. It's Savin the world from all the littering people, and you created it by having garbage in the first place.

-snip-

Yes I agree with all of this.

I DO believe it should have been the suckier Pokemon getting the mega evos. The POINT is to even the playing field and make them worth something. Some of the Pokemon who got megas were ALREADY incredibly good. Case in point, Mewtwo, Lucario, Lati@s (albeit not officially released), and Garchomp. Blaziken as well. I don't know how good Diancie is but it probably didn't *need* a mega either.

HOWEVER, I do believe that they purposefully made them better to even out the tiers a little bit. Though you can technically use any Pokemon in Uber, it was a TINY TINY tier. Unless you were at least a really good Standard or even possibly UU/BL Pokemon, there was NO WAY to survive in Uber. So now, they added more options for the actual Uber tier. Same with a few other tiers.

Are the creators that aware of the metagame, do you think? Official tournaments are double battles and only a small pool of the most powerful legendaries are banned from them and there's a lot of exploitation.

Eh, but it pulls out of the other tiers and makes the most dominant one even larger. Normal Lucario is actually UU now, I think. It's dropped a lot in viability since Megas happened, its stats just don't cut it anymore. Diancie outright needs a mega. It's just setup fodder, and even with huge defenses, being quad weak to Scizor's bullet punch is just bad. It doesnt have the greatest defensive typing either. For Lati@s, it's probably to pull it back to Ubers.

Unless you're Ariados. It's a surprisingly good anti-lead.

We also beat up thousands of other pokemon. Audino isn't the only one.

Charizard needed to catch up. It sucked. And there's no reason for sucky mons to catch up. They suck and shouldn't be used outside of NU. Pidgeot and Linoone are just plain bad. Why would you want to use them, unless they're your favourite designs? If you do use them, use them in NU and you won't be beaten up by actually good Pokemon. Also,  Metagross isn't that good wink.gif

Mega Scrafty would still be 4x weak to fairy and weak to fighting, and unless it got a 100 point increase in speed, would still be too slow to sweep and be setup fodder defensively. Also, we didn't com up with the same design because we, uh, HAVE DIFFERENT BRAINS.

Garbodor is better than Muk. And everything else from gen one. There is seriously nothing wrong with Garbodor. It's Savin the world from all the littering people, and you created it by having garbage in the first place.

My point was that Audinos are the only ones to actually heal you as you're attacking them. That's some good will right there.

And I want to use Pidgeot and Linoone because, first off, I do love them (not just their designs- I just like them in general), and second off, I don't see why ANY mon should be banned from the competitive scene just because some people happen to think "it sucks". I'm so tired of seeing Scizor after Scizor after Scizor- why not add some variety to the competition? And I'm so sick and tired of training my favorites in-game and then not being able to battle online with them just because someone thinks the 'mons I love and raise and care for "suck".

I do understand the appeal of the metagame, and yes, I do understand the stat disparity between, say, Linoone and Scizor. (Believe me, it's so frustrating to know that difference exists in the first place.) But I'm still hoping that the next game will include a "casual battle room" for challengers who don't want to deal with their fifty-fifth Talonflame and who just want to battle with their favorites regardless of stats.

*cough* Charizard is best mon *cough*

As for Scrafty- what if Mega Scrafty got a type change like Mega Charizard X did? And I don't understand what you mean about the design. What do you mean by "we didn't come up with the same design"? I was talking about Game Freak coming up with its looks, not "us". Am I missing something?

And about Garbodor- I don't personally like it very much, but there's nothing wrong with it, either. Did you miss the "sarcasm" tag? Or was my tone just a little too caustic? (If that's the case, I'm sorry.)

Edited by Athkore

Or it might be that it's the only move it has or something? I dunno, but AI is pretty bad sometimes.

They're not banned. They're bad. No way to utilize movepool, bad stats, bad typing, etc. Scizor isn't even number one in usage anyway, that'd be Aegislash pre-banning. Adding one mon to the competition isn't really adding that much variety anyways. If you used them in game, they won't be good competitively. Ever heard of EVs? In game mons generally have bad ones.

...Would you prefer if every Pokemon was the same? And do you really think casual battles won't have people throwing in legendaries to wreck honest people? Talonflame is actually not that amazing. It just has great speed with okay attack and a beautiful ability that makes it the best revenge killer ever.

Charizard was TERRIBLE. It's Megas are really good, but it's pretty hard switching in Charizard to Mega in the first place.

It still wouldn't have any switch ins to evolve in the first place. You would have to lead with it, and it cant do anything to hazard leads, especially those with taunt.

You phrased it like you meant the players would be surprised.

Caustic.

Or it might be that it's the only move it has or something? I dunno, but AI is pretty bad sometimes.

They're not banned. They're bad. No way to utilize movepool, bad stats, bad typing, etc. Scizor isn't even number one in usage anyway, that'd be Aegislash pre-banning. Adding one mon to the competition isn't really adding that much variety anyways. If you used them in game, they won't be good competitively. Ever heard of EVs? In game mons generally have bad ones.

...Would you prefer if every Pokemon was the same? And do you really think casual battles won't have people throwing in legendaries to wreck honest people? Talonflame is actually not that amazing. It just has great speed with okay attack and a beautiful ability that makes it the best revenge killer ever.

Charizard was TERRIBLE. It's Megas are really good, but it's pretty hard switching in Charizard to Mega in the first place.

It still wouldn't have any switch ins to evolve in the first place. You would have to lead with it, and it cant do anything to hazard leads, especially those with taunt.

You phrased it like you meant the players would be surprised.

Caustic.

Yes. I have heard of EVs. I even EV train the 'mons I use in-game. In Black and White, I had a Haxorus who would be pretty great to use competitively- I just happened to catch a wild Adamant Axew with an excellent Attack IV (and most of his other IVs weren't bad, either), and I managed to somehow EV-train his Attack while just playing through the main storyline. I wouldn't take him into a Smogon battle, but I'd LOVE to battle my online friends' in-game teams with him.

I do understand that most pre-endgame 'mons have bad IVs, but why should that prevent players from using them in casual battles? This is exactly why I want a "casual battle room" for people who don't care about tiers and just want to use their in-game mons.

I never said 'mons like Linoone and Pidgeot were "banned"- just that it's practically impossible to use them. Yes, I do understand the stat difference, as I already said. That's why I was hoping for Mega Evolutions for them. Maybe some stat boosts, type changes, or ability changes would make them a match for the 'mons people are more likely to use.

You make a good point when you ask if I'd prefer if every Pokemon were the same- no, I wouldn't. That would get stale pretty fast. But I think that, even if most 'mons had the exact same base stat totals, the differences in their types, movesets, abilities, and individual base stats would be enough to keep the game interesting, varied, and fun. (Legendaries would be the exception, though- they're strong for storyline reasons, too.)

And that's your other very good point- yes, there would always be jerks who abused the system with Legendaries and super-tanks and such. That's why I think it would be nice for the casual-battle room to give you the option to decline a challenge after you see which 'mons your opponent is using. That way, if the opponent had a team full of shiny Arceus, you could just tap "do not battle". (Unless your own team is full of shiny Arceus too, and you just want to have a grand ol' time with that.) I realize that there would be some flaws in that system, too- if you think of any, I'd love to know them.

I don't care if Charizard is "terrible" stat-wise; I don't see why I shouldn't be able to use one in a non-Smogon online battle, playing against someone else who just wants to use, say, their Aurorus or Stantler or something.

What do you mean by "You phrased it like you meant the players would be surprised"? I'm sorry; I wasn't trying to go for that. The whole separate-battle-room idea has been suggested over and over again by many different people. I didn't mean it to sound like I thought it was a shocking new revolutionary idea.

Also- I appreciate your honesty, but just saying "caustic" is, in itself, pretty caustic. I really didn't mean to offend, and I really do apologize if my joke was too hurtful to those who actually do like Garbodor, but again, it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I don't hate Garbodor.

I dunno, I think it's fun to use lower-tier pokes in higher tiers sometimes. My friend has a Liepard in their Pokemon Showdown OU team and has annoyed several opponents to death with it. And Bogleech had a team consisting entirely of pokes they liked (including an Eviolite Sliggoo) and won like half their battles. Aren't there a few BL/RU Pokemon that aren't viable in OU but work in Ubers because certain of their counters never appear? I get that the tiers are in place for a reason but I feel like the metagame is just really rigid and sometimes you can expect some really specific stuff to happen and that's really sad considering we have over 700 Pokemon to choose from.

Athkore: But a lot of offensive mons need very specific EVs to outspeed certain things and survive certain hits. Just a few loose points could screw up the sweeper. Also, Haxorus is below the 100 base speed tier, meaning he pretty much needs full speed EVs.

And that's exactly why dishonest people will abuse the casual battle room system. And a competitvely trained in-game team can do surprisingly well, espcially if one is using things like Talonflame, Lucario, and Greninja. A team of Arceus isn't necessary.

Actually, if you go read your post, you'll see that your exact phrasing was "I don't see why ANY mon should be banned from the competitive scene just because some people happen to think "it sucks"."

But it's more interesting to see pokemon that make it to the top with just movepool or ability. Besides, if all pokemon had the same BST, that'd render abilities like huge/pure power, and others like that too OP. It's better the way it is, trust me. As someone who plays competitively, I know that much.

Aurorus actually isn't that bad. It has beautiful special stats, and is just let down by poor typing. And if you want to battle with pokemon like that, go play NU. It's really fun, and is just meant to be a place where lesser used mons can shine.

I meant the point about Scrafty. I thought you meant the players would be surprised, not the designers.

Apologies if you find that I'm being aggressive or something; I'm not. This is just meant to be light debate.

------------

Pi: Yeah, but that's the point of different tiers :c Although, it's a lot of fun to use lower tier mons in Ubers and OU. It makes it more diverse and fun, but that's because of the surprise factor, etc. Also, have you tried Ariados in Ubers? It works as a fine anti-lead.

Edited by KoalaNoob

user posted image

So far this mega has only succeeded in making me laugh.

I wish they turned the camera so we could see Swampert's expression. xd.png

Holy Arceus I need to get myself one of these things. I'm going to laugh to death. Especially if it's competitive-viable.

It probably will be competitively viable. Slowbro is already really good. It's generally outclassed by Suicune, who has better typing, and lack of leftovers will really hurt, but it has Slack Off anyway and will probably be a wonderful defensive calm minder.

It probably will be competitively viable. Slowbro is already really good. It's generally outclassed by Suicune, who has better typing, and lack of leftovers will really hurt, but it has Slack Off anyway and will probably be a wonderful defensive calm minder.

And it's probably going to be good at spinning like a top, too. Ain't I funny?

OR MEGA SLOWBRO?

Rapid Spin might be powerful. Cause that's spinning in that image! Why am I posting little tidbits about the mega? WHY?

Edited by Skitties

If they ever made a Pokémon game based on Inception, I think Mega Slobro would be my totem.

I don't think rapid spin will ever be powerful. Useful, yes, since it removes your hazards and only yours, but twenty power isn't doing anything even coming from Mega Mewtwo X. Also, if Slowbro got rapid spin, I doubt most sets would use it. Slowbro doesn't really have the room.

I don't think rapid spin will ever be powerful. Useful, yes, since it removes your hazards and only yours, but twenty power isn't doing anything even coming from Mega Mewtwo X. Also, if Slowbro got rapid spin, I doubt most sets would use it. Slowbro doesn't really have the room.

Yes, and Shell Armor doesn't help the fact either.

Off-topic, Mega Audino's ability will be SOOOOOOOOO useful in Singles.

JK, it's going to be useless in Singles.

Yeah, losing regenerator really sucks. It still has Slack Off, but Regenerator was one of the things that convinced people to use it at all. Between loss of good ability and loss of Leftovers, I don't know if people will even use it. It could still be really good, but it's stat buffs will have to be pretty perfect.

Well, Mega Audino could make getting an invincible Shedinja easier? The main issue with that strategy is that Audino just can't survive long enough, and Audino is just bad. Getting a defensive Mega would help.

I heard a rumor from somebody, now, I do not know if it is true or not, but he said that Nintendo annouced that you can no longer trade through games to evolve pokemon like Kadabra and Haunter, but you have to use the Wonder Trade to evolve them.....

I don't know if that's true and if it is indeed false, please let me know so I can rest easy smile.gif

I heard a rumor from somebody, now, I do not know if it is true or not, but he said that Nintendo annouced that you can no longer trade through games to evolve pokemon like Kadabra and Haunter, but you have to use the Wonder Trade to evolve them.....

I don't know if that's true and if it is indeed false, please let me know so I can rest easy smile.gif

I don't know if that's true or not, but I haven't heard anything about it. I kind of doubt it, since they need to keep promoting normal trades, and nobody would ever get any trade to evolve mons. Not many would give away an item, or just a pokemon in general since they probably won't get anything back. Most wonder-trade users send out things like fletchling hoping to get good stuff >:c

Also, that would screw over Escavalier and Accelgor. The odds of wonder trading someone the exact pair of pokemon is pretty minuscule if you don't know who they are.

If this is done though, I'd be really mad.

I believe what might be the case is that anything that requires trading to evolve can also do it through Wonder Trade, not that WT will replace normal trading. I could be wrong but I seriously doubt they would ever take away normal trading as an option for trade evolution.

Actually, Pokemon might already be able to trade through WT, I just don't know for sure because I've never tried.