Marrionetta

ANSWERED:Positive Post Affirmation Feature?

You do get a warn for saying just "NO NO NO" just as you do for "do want.."

But, you don't get a warn for saying "I don't agree with this", "I don't like this", "I think this won't work" without elaborating anything further.

Having the ability to turn the option on/off of posts would be good for specific posts, much like the Enable Signature button.

@sbowen:

Forgive me but i'm wondering why you were on a forum at 9 years old to begin with. I know i'm too old to know what cyber bullying really is (not that I haven't gotten death threats online but.. Let's just say Facebook wasn't a thing at all when I was in school.) but it seems to me you were a little TOO young to be on a random forum. Did you report the girl? You know death threats are ILLEGAL, right? You could have reported her to the police, actually.

This right here might well be a good argument for making the system, assuming it were implemented , entirely private.

Some people are idiots and do stupid, cruel and hurtful things for petty reasons. ALTHOUGH I would certainly hope MOST of the users on here are more mature of people and secure in themselves than to go threatening people over something so trivial. I would think if it were a private thing, it would negate any possibility of 'like jealousy'.

Besides, I think the mods on here wouldn't TOLERATE anything remotely threatening.

Yes indeed. That's exactly why I would like it to to work like warns.

Most people here are lovely. But I bet we have all seen bullying in action here - it gets modded, but the mods can't actually unsay the hurtful.

Someone posted that you were fat, and that's something that really upsets you - that will stay with you, even after it's removed from view, even if the offender is actually banned.

@MysticTiger - many schools these days encourage students from Grade 1 on to use things like on line math programmes, and, appallingly, they do often have discussion areas intended for young kids, with such buttons.

9 years old. Give them a break. I am pretty sure I wasn't thinking that far ahead when I was 9. I was still playing with dolls I think.

When you where 9 and someone hit you, called you a name, or tried to hurt you, you wouldn't tell your mom? your dad? your guardian? your teacher? your ta? no one. Really? when I was 9 I would tell a teacher or my mom. I didn't like so and so calling me ugly, or saying they where gonna beat me up, so I tattled. I tattled like mad if I felt threatened.

If this idea is implemented and something like that happens where someone threatens another user for having more traction to their post than them, then they should definitely report.

I really do not want thiis at all. I agree with pretty much every reason against it that I've seen thus far.

When you where 9 and someone hit you, called you a name, or tried to hurt you, you wouldn't tell your mom? your dad? your guardian? your teacher? your ta? no one. Really? when I was 9 I would tell a teacher or my mom. I didn't like so and so calling me ugly, or saying they where gonna beat me up, so I tattled. I tattled like mad if I felt threatened.

If this idea is implemented and something like that happens where someone threatens another user for having more traction to their post than them, then they should definitely report.

LOADS of kids are far too scared to tell anyone about bullying - that's one of the things that bullies rely on mad.gif

"If you tell, I will GET you" is a very real threat.

LOADS of kids are far too scared to tell anyone about bullying - that's one of the things that bullies rely on mad.gif

"If you tell, I will GET you" is a very real threat.

^This. When I was in school I had the opportunity to tell on one of my bullies for something serious(it could have gotten him in a LOT of trouble), but I kept silent because he knew I knew and I honestly feared for my life if I told on him.

Anyways, I am not in favor of this. I don't like the popularity contest this stands to be, it adds drama and complication with very little for compensation.

I wouldn't mind something like this, provided there wasn't a -1 option and your likes were if not private then not something super visible. My reasoning is thus, if you disagree with someone on something then you could just quote them and expound on your argument. If you like what a person has to say then you can just +1. Because if it's for positive affirmation then the opposite doesn't need to be implemented because that's more likely to be abused. And people have said stuff on how that might lead to bullying and etc.

And as for an option to be not ridiculously a footer of people's names liking such and such post, you could just hide the names into a pop up or something if someone really wanted to see. Like, four or more people liking something = 1st liker name, 2nd liker name, 3rd liker name and 1 other person liked this post.

So essentially:

1. No negative option

2. example of a post liked: Chocolate, Vanilla, Ice Cream and 1 Other Person liked this post.

On an additional note for those that feel like the like button will be abused, honestly how someone chooses to use their likes should be up to them. We don't tell people how to play dragon cave, like you must freeze or not inbreed or not have more then 4 of these dragon types so why should you impose your idea of how someone should like things onto them?

ETA: Ohwait, sorry I forgot I was on this forum and not one without the kinds of mods we have and the people who frequent these boards. So on that note, perhaps a limit on the # of likes a person may give out a week? Idk.

Edited by Sinsdaemn

That deeply depends on the kid and the situation.

Even as a kid I recognized that there were times when telling on the person would do nothing so I just let them get away with crap. Sometimes it's a real case of "Nobody can do anything because it's just my word against their word" other times it's a case of "I'm afraid this person will find a way to hurt me even worse if I try to tell somebody". That can be a false fear, in that they have no way to do that, or it could be a very valid fear because they do have ways of making you suffer additionally.

As a kid, you don't generally recognize all the finer points of it and have the ability to reason it out that "Some random kid a few years older than me online probably doesn't have the means to ACTUALLY find me, much less hurt or kill me". You don't always think "They're talking big because they won't ever be called on to follow their words through with actions, and right now I can't cause any real problems for them. I can't physically harm them, or make their actual life a problem. Their threat is minimal, I don't really have to worry or be too upset."

That, and not everybody reacts to situations the same. That depends both on nature--some people are naturally more resilient to that sort of thing than others--as well as their environment. By that age some people are already trained by their environment to fear that sort of thing, or to feel that telling somebody is useless.

DC is a place that has a lot of problems. It's very toxic at times. We really don't need a public "+1" system to potentially chuck into that. I've heard the stories of what people are sent via PMs, and have you seen some of the disturbing and downright disgusting things that get posted? I have no doubt that--since the "I have more support than you because more people are posting supporting my view" already happens--that such a public system would be abused.

If the entire purpose is to show the poster that you support their post, why does it need to be public?

I wouldn't mind something like this, provided there wasn't a -1 option and your likes were if not private then not something super visible. My reasoning is thus, if you disagree with someone on something then you could just quote them and expound on your argument. If you like what a person has to say then you can just +1. Because if it's for positive affirmation then the opposite doesn't need to be implemented because that's more likely to be abused. And people have said stuff on how that might lead to bullying and etc.

And as for an option to be not ridiculously a footer of people's names liking such and such post, you could just hide the names into a pop up or something if someone really wanted to see. Like, four or more people liking something = 1st liker name, 2nd liker name, 3rd liker name and 1 other person liked this post.

So essentially:

1. No negative option

2. example of a post liked: Chocolate, Vanilla, Ice Cream and 1 Other Person liked this post.

On an additional note for those that feel like the like button will be abused, honestly how someone chooses to use their likes should be up to them. We don't tell people how to play dragon cave, like you must freeze or not inbreed or not have more then 4 of these dragon types so why should you impose your idea of how someone should like things onto them?

If there ever IS a like system, I fully believe that it should be fully anonymous, meaning NO USERNAMES SHOWN. At all. If I like what someone says and it is controversial, I DO NOT want to receive flak for agreeing with them, and yes, that likely would happen. Particularly in some of the more heated debate topics.

Edited by Nectaris

I agree that anon is better. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to the idea of the poster and TJ/the mods being able to see the individuals, but the general public doesn't need to know who liked what.

Edit: Considering how people here are known to dogpile on an unpopular opinion, it really doesn't seem far-fetched for somebody to send a nasty PM to somebody for supporting a nasty post.

Edited by KageSora

I really don't want this. It doesn't seem necessary to me, or at least the possible cons outweigh the pros in my opinion. An opt-out button would be great if it were to be implemented, as I have no interest in getting involved. I've never been on Facebook or anything, but as a concept I don't like the idea of voting people's posts around. Especially on DC...

If there ever IS a like system, I fully believe that it should be fully anonymous, meaning NO USERNAMES SHOWN.  At all.

I strongly agree with this.

I haven't read throgugh all the thread, so not sure if this already existed, but what if, instead of tallying up the likes/dislikes or whatever you call it, there could be a little tag at the bottom of the post that goes

"The majority of voters approve of this post." or "The majority of voters disagree with this post." That way it wouldn't be popularity contest if you couldn't see the exact numbers, but could give people a guidelines to the lurker's opinions.

I'm against this though. It seems a kinda lazy way to post an opinion, instead of voicing your concerns and actually being able to spark a debate.

"The majority of voters approve of this post." or "The majority of voters disagree with this post." That way it wouldn't be popularity contest if you couldn't see the exact numbers, but could give people a guidelines to the lurker's opinions.

The problem is that would still lend itself just as well to a popularity thing as individual numbers. Because you still have the idea of the MAJORITY supporting/opposing the ideas expressed in a specific post. Therefore somebody could just go "Well, look, mine says the majority support it and yours says the majority don't!"

Edit:  Considering how people here are known to dogpile on an unpopular opinion, it really doesn't seem far-fetched for somebody to send a nasty PM to somebody for supporting a nasty post.

I've personally gotten nasty PMs about this very issue ironically on an idea a year later that someone else would post and everyone seems to like (as well as getting an angry PM about me 'stealing' a troubleshooting idea in the help forum which was odd to say the least since you know... I repair computers.).

Personally, I don't think names should be listed. Just +1 or -1. And then list how many people have done so without actually showing names ( [5] +1 / [2] -1 -- or something similar). I think it SHOULD be shown how many + or - there are just so the people posting can get an idea of approval or disapproval so they can make a post as to why they feel the same or opposite.

I still honestly don't see how this can be a popularity contest anymore than it currently is. I mean, you get a mod agreeing with someone and a lot of people will go "Well, so-and-so agrees with me so it must be true!".

I still stand that the +1 / -1 System is a great idea that will help a lot of people who don't want to post and/or who are afraid to disagree.

Edited by MysticTiger

The problem is that would still lend itself just as well to a popularity thing as individual numbers. Because you still have the idea of the MAJORITY supporting/opposing the ideas expressed in a specific post. Therefore somebody could just go "Well, look, mine says the majority support it and yours says the majority don't!"

Possibly yes...although I would like to give this forum enough credit to say that we would not be that petty. Maybe I'm being too optimistic :L

I guess making people do a captcha in order to thumbs up a post would be too extreme. Maybe some kind of flood control type thing?

Am I correct in thinking that a lot of people here are thinking that people will go around and multi-click Likes on someone's idea? I thought it would be one user could only +1 or -1 one post ever. And Maybe some type of flood control would be good. Like, you could only +1/-1 five posts in a minute.

Am I correct in thinking that a lot of people here are thinking that people will go around and multi-click Likes on someone's idea? I thought it would be one user could only +1 or -1 one post ever. And Maybe some type of flood control would be good. Like, you could only +1/-1 five posts in a minute.

No - more that some people would ask their friends to click, and some would click anything a friend posted.

I see a lot of complaints about this system somehow being abused. While I personally find it to be a superfluous feature and don't care whether it ever gets implemented or not, I fail to see how a system that means nothing and gives no benefit could possibly be abused, even if a person got all their friends they've ever met to like their post. A high like count doesn't make you right, or interesting, or cool, or special. This seems like it would simply be a way to express support for a post without making a post that only says "Yeah I like this."

I see a lot of complaints about this system somehow being abused. While I personally find it to be a superfluous feature and don't care whether it ever gets implemented or not, I fail to see how a system that means nothing and gives no benefit could possibly be abused, even if a person got all their friends they've ever met to like their post. A high like count doesn't make you right, or interesting, or cool, or special. This seems like it would simply be a way to express support for a post without making a post that only says "Yeah I like this."

No, it doesn't. That's why I see NO point in its being public. There is no need, no use, whatever in others being able to see how many cookies you have.

But there IS the potential for some people to say LOOK x people liked my post so I must be righter than you.

I've seen this system work well and I've seen it work not so well.

If we were to introduce it here I would want user names to be represented in a list that you have to click to get to and allow one click per person per post, as well as not liking your own posts.

I would also like to see warns for people who try to one up people by the 'more people like my post'. Really that's the same as attacking the poster not the post.

Verbal affirmation by PM doesn't - and means more; it shows the person cared enough to PM rather than just click.

This would be extremely irritating? I rarely ever get PMs, and when I do i either get my hopes up that someone replied to a pm of mine or freak out that it's a warn. So if i just got a 'hey i like your post' its either sunk down to 'nope, not a reply' or risen to 'great it's not a warn' but either way it wouldn't matter to me.

I only read the first and 4th page, but i think there should only be positive voting, with automatic name-showing that you liked the post /unless/ you checked something to make you anon, and that votes are shown publicly.

Also, if possible, only have voting in certain boards, like maybe whatever hidden boards and the whole of 'Suggestions/Requests'.

Also we already have 'no click begging', just add 'no vote begging' and no 'this post needs more votes' or whatever >_>

I've been on the fence about this one ever since the first thread I ran into for something like this - I'm pretty sure this has come up before.

On the one hand, I so often want to upvote a post for exactly the reasons Marionetta has! I want to thumbs-up people who post thoughtful, respectful notes in the middle of a drama-filled flame war. (There are certain users who I would probably 'like' just about everything they posted, too. xd.png ) I can't PM every person who does this when I'm reading the backlog in a particular thread. The easiest solution would be to have a little button I could hit.

On the other hand, I've seen the same things Fuzz has seen when a 'Like' button is unleashed in a community that isn't necessarily full of the most mature, thinking personages. Some people use a 'Like' button as nothing more than an acknowledgement that "Oh, you posted something." I think it's perfectly valid to be concerned that people would look at one post with 2 likes and its dissenting post with 2,347 likes and assume that the dissenter must be the correct poster. There is a reason polls have been disabled for this section (which, frankly, I'm thankful for, since I took issue with them anyway), and this would just be essentially a per-post poll.

However, I DO favor the ability to send a like - or a cookie, as Fuzz delightfully puts it - privately, without further comment. If I saw a little notification - "So-and-so (or 'a user' if anonymous) sent you a cookie because they liked your post (hyperlink to post)!" - I would have a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart and feel the positive affirmation that is the very essence of this suggestion. I don't need anyone else to know, and I don't care if other people go around posting screenshots of all their likes. I would just feel like I had done something right and not alone in a sea of screaming disagreement.

So... full support, if the forum software can handle it, for a private 'like' ability that is shared only between the person who liked a post and the person who posted.

I kinda have to go with this post on this idea. You need to stop comparing a forum to facebook. If it would in any way be similar it would be purely and simply because they would both have a like funtion (if implemented) that's it.

I have seen plenty forums use this function both in nly specific areas, and all over the darn place and really it has done no harm to anyone other than let them know that their opinion, idea, contribution to a discussion, or overall post has been well received by the community. Most places though offer a +1/-1 option to not only have people agree without commenting, but also disagree without commenting. Also, the only real abuse would be from the occasional troll -1 or +1 ing everything, and I mean everythig. Allowing people to +1 things at the very least gives you a chance to see what people are really jumping on and it makes you want to read those posts because if so many people like it there must be something good about it. If its terrible and we have a -1 then -1 it so it looses its traction.

Allowing people to -1 things also helps counteract that whole "Well friends of popular people would just like their stuff instantly" because people who actually read the post and disagree would -1 it. and really if people dislike your posts due to grammar, structure of ideas, or just overall opinion, 99.9% of this community take the time to let you know in a response and a quote. Some might not be very kind about it, but some are.

I agree with Marionetta that there have been quite a few instances where I want to post my agreement but all if not most well placed arguments in favor or against said suggestion are already there. So what am I supposed to jump on there and sound like one of those awkward friends, "Yeah I like this too, because of what person 2, person 12, person 13, person 19, person 20, and person 31 said. They pretty much said it all so... yeah... support... I'll be lurking now." That... seems pointless.

Being able to show support without making your self seem ridiculous or making your self sound like a parrot, repeating everyone elses better said opinions, would be very nice. If someone wants to try and get a big head about it then really their the ones that are gonna look. Allowing something like this in the suggestions thread mainly would be nice.

[EDIT]

Also most forums that implement the +1/-1 button also have it so the person that +1/-1'd you is recorded so if I +1'd marionettas post, it would show under a list when either or is clicked. this allows mods to keep track of trolls that like to -1 anything and everything, or only -1 specific people, to ensure peoples opinions are not hurt by them. So if you see a pattern in which all your posts in the suggestions are being -1'd then you can report the abuser.

I love this post! :> I'd also like to point out I'm not suggesting a downvote feature, just an upvote feature. Or cookies, as I'm going to call them. I just want to give out cookies. ;A;

Thanks!

As with other suggestions that represent a significant change to the forum software:

I don't think it's a valuable use of time (mine or anyone's) to build new features on top of the current forums. If the forums change/are upgraded in the future, I'll be open to such requests.