Marrionetta

ANSWERED:Positive Post Affirmation Feature?

Theres a time and a place for likes and such. Depending on the site im on, my likes are simply "I saw this, and liked what I read, but not enough to actually comment", "I agree with this" or "I'm liking this purely so that other people who follow me will check it out".

I can see "likes" being useful in /some/ areas, but not all areas of the forum. For the most part though.. I would rather not see them.. because everyone uses "likes" differently.

What's the point of being able to like something and others not seeing it?

The point is to let the person who made the post know you like it/approve of it/etc. They can see it, nobody else can. Nobody else really needs to.

The point is to let the person who made the post know you like it/approve of it/etc.  They can see it, nobody else can.  Nobody else really needs to.

Exactly. And having it that way means there's no point in others spam-liking things as they do on FB.

If we could all see "likes", why not all see warns too ? What exactly is the essential difference ? If we can see that someone has 1072 cookies ("likes") - should we also not be able to know that they are at a 90% warn level for being nasty on other threads ? A BALANCED picture of who this person is ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

The point is to let the person who made the post know you like it/approve of it/etc.  They can see it, nobody else can.  Nobody else really needs to.

If you are liking something just to let the poster know you agree with them (and not to let the general population know you agree with them), then it really is just an ego boost thing, and there's no point to it. End of story, end of thread. No point in adding something just to give people an ego boost, there are too many people around here with egos that are too big already. If you really like the post? You'll pm them to say so. I've gotten such pms from several people saying that.

Whereas, if you are liking a post and all can see, then everyone can see that a certain opinion is shared by others. Which, in Suggestions, can have a certain validity. I've lost track of the numbers of times I've seen people quote my posts, saying things like: "Agreed, but they said it better than I could" and variations on that theme. Think how many posts would be saved if people could use "like" or "dislike".

As for it turning into a popularity contest... I rather doubt it will, in Suggestions. Now, in other sections of the forum, I can see it doing just that. So to me, the question is, can it be implemented just in Suggestions (where its actually needed) but not on other sub-forums (where its not needed)? And can the forum software even handle it?

Edit:

And warns are different from "agree" or "disagree". One is the personal opinion of a user, the other is the opinion of a mod with regards to rule breaking.

Cheers!

C4.

Edited by cyradis4

I do not support. I can only speak for me but if there was something like this here, I would stop writing in threads like "Suggestions/Requests" and reduce my forum activity for good.

Why?

- to be honest, I am not good in English internet discussion. I want to participate but I cannot say it ends well everytime. I did get some "hey, thanks for writing this - you are not the only one who thinks this" PM's here in the past but overall....umyeah. I don't need to know that no ones likes my post, there are already "report" buttons and warnings for that.

- I smell "abuse" and "favoritism".

I do not want to see people having "likes" in a discussion. Because "having likes" doesn't necessarily mean that the person is "right" or their arguments are "well thought out". I'd imagine that "weaker" people would just like the post which has the most likes because hey, it should be fine or I like this famous user.

- It is not useful for getting new ideas or perspectives. I think if someone is interested in a discussion and if they want to share their thoughts they should "participate" or contact the poster - may it be via PM or posting directly in the thread.

If you are liking something just to let the poster know you agree with them (and not to let the general population know you agree with them), then it really is just an ego boost thing, and there's no point to it. End of story, end of thread. No point in adding something just to give people an ego boost, there are too many people around here with egos that are too big already. If you really like the post? You'll pm them to say so. I've gotten such pms from several people saying that.

The point is for the POSTER to know that someone agrees with them.

If the numbers are shown in public THEN it becomes an ego boost. "LOOOOK I got 73 people who like what I said."

And ? What's the point of that ? They may or may not have read the post anyway (see under polls...)

Whereas, if you are liking a post and all can see, then everyone can see that a certain opinion is shared by others. Which, in Suggestions, can have a certain validity. I've lost track of the numbers of times I've seen people quote my posts, saying things like: "Agreed, but they said it better than I could" and variations on that theme. Think how many posts would be saved if people could use "like" or "dislike".

As for it turning into a popularity contest... I rather doubt it will, in Suggestions. Now, in other sections of the forum, I can see it doing just that. So to me, the question is, can it be implemented just in Suggestions (where its actually needed) but not on other sub-forums (where its not needed)? And can the forum software even handle it?

Edit:

And warns are different from "agree" or "disagree". One is the personal opinion of a user, the other is the opinion of a mod with regards to rule breaking.

Cheers!

C4.

...I... I'm really failing to see how it being public or private actually changes it from a means to let them know you agree with them/like how they said it/whatever to ego-boosting.

If it's public, it's STILL going to have that "ego-boosting" effect. Moreso, I'd argue. "Look, my post has +13 likes, and yours only has +3, so therefore I'm clearly in the right here, more people agree with me!" I've already seen milder versions of that here in S/R, with the "well MOST people say X, so clearly you''re wrong/you're in the minority and don't matter/it doesn't matter what you say we can't cater to EVERYONE/etc."

If it's in private it conveys the exact same range of potential meanings--"I like this post/I support your argument/I like you/I agree with you/etc,". That doesn't change at all.

And, if you WANT to elaborate on why you liked it, you can STILL quote the post with it or PM them.

I have seen this feature implemented on other forums, and have never seen it be abused as people are claiming. However, if people are so concerned about it, maybe it should only be allowed in certain forums, such as the Suggestion/Requests Forum and General Discussion (sub forum, not the entire GD forum)? These areas would allow thank you clicks to be used in a productive manner, and somewhat inhibit abuse. Honestly, I feel like some people on DC are just change-aversive by default, and value the smallest of drawbacks over all the positive aspects of something.

I have to agree. A few other forums I am on have buttons, some more then others. Rarely are they abused. Some forums only have a like/agree/thanks button and really it doesn't do anything. Just lets others know you agree. I don't see how it would hurt anything really. Facebook isn't the only place to have a like button, and I don't even use facebook, ever, so I can't speak on how it is over there. Some people here just seem really set in their ways/resistant to change and don't want to give anything a chance/second thought. There have been times I have been against something then later found out it wasn't so bad, or I really did like it. With a like button it would be easily ignored if you didn't want to use it.

I'd like this option. I have used a system like it (and implemented it's use) on other fourms and it worked wonderfully. +1 Support from me!

I think people need to stop comparing it to facebook. THIS ISN'T FACEBOOK. No one posts a spammy message in order to get likes. The Like system on forums work more like the poll system. There's no ego-boosting. It's just like posting "I like your post", but as several people pointed out, this forum does not allow that. Ironically, it allows negative non-contribution posts, but the positive ones are generally warn-worthy.

I'm failing to see any Ego-Boosting potential outside of "People like my idea", which someone could get regardless. The "My idea has more people liking it" ideal already HAPPENS. Even when people don't have EVERYONE agreeing with them, they like to say that everyone agrees just to make a point. And, let's face it, the suggestion and requests forum is a very, VERY negative place where a lot of people understandably don't want to go. Having the ability to like an idea without having people jumping down your throat and picking apart everything you said/suggested would be extremely helpful.

If it's public, it's STILL going to have that "ego-boosting" effect.  Moreso, I'd argue.  "Look, my post has +13 likes, and yours only has +3, so therefore I'm clearly in the right here, more people agree with me!"  I've already seen milder versions of that here in S/R, with the "well MOST people say X, so clearly you''re wrong/you're in the minority and don't matter/it doesn't matter what you say we can't cater to EVERYONE/etc."

If it's in private it conveys the exact same range of potential meanings--"I like this post/I support your argument/I like you/I agree with you/etc,".  That doesn't change at all.

And, if you WANT to elaborate on why you liked it, you can STILL quote the post with it or PM them.

This is exactly what I mean too. We already get posts saying "I counted the posts in this thread and more agree with me so you are WRONG."

(And they often didn't actually bother to count... xd.png)

I know it isn't FB (thank goodness.) But while people may not post spammily just in order to GET likes, some here will (see above) use any likes they get to try and pound the posts of others into the dust.

As to its being like the poll system - that has been shown to get people clicking without reading - TJ even posted that he found the results of polls fairly useless and takes little notice of them, preferring to read the comments - and they are now disabled in suggestions - presumably that's why.

Edited by fuzzbucket

The point is for the POSTER to know that someone agrees with them.

If the numbers are shown in public THEN it becomes an ego boost. "LOOOOK I got 73 people who like what I said."

And ? What's the point of that ? They may or may not have read the post anyway (see under polls...)

I don't see how this is going to stop someone from taking a screenshot of the "private" likes they have obtained and whip it around or worse, use it in an S/R argument a la "I have more likes than you therefore I win".

I understand that the intentions were good behind the suggestion, but what I'm seeing is a cancer just waiting to happen. I'll go ahead and say that I'm against this.

I don't see how this is going to stop someone from taking a screenshot of the "private" likes they have obtained and whip it around or worse, use it in an S/R argument a la "I have more likes than you therefore I win".

I understand that the intentions were good behind the suggestion, but what I'm seeing is a cancer just waiting to happen. I'll go ahead and say that I'm against this.

It won't. True. But that's not as invidious as having it all showing up in public at all times.

I'm not wild about it myself - but having it operate like warns would be OK.

Maybe it's just because I never hopped on the Facebook bandwagon, but I fail to see how someone parading around showing off a number is a cause for controversy. If anything, it'd just make me laugh.

Maybe it's just because I never hopped on the Facebook bandwagon, but I fail to see how someone parading around showing off a number is a cause for controversy. If anything, it'd just make me laugh.

I actually do use Facebook and I am inclined to agree with Odeen on this one.

It would just seem rather silly, in my opinion.

Do I enjoy getting likes? Yes.

Do I find that it is a big deal one way or the other? No. IF it really is that big of a concern, then I agree with those who suggest that it work like warns... in that it would private and only YOU know how many you have. Overall, I don't really care that much one way or the other. Are some people immature enough to try to flaunt their likes anyway? Maybe... but the mods can deal with that problem if it arises. It could even be a warnable offense to be flashing screenshots of your likes around, but that is just one idea. I can see the possibility for both good and, yes, problems, too, here. Do I see it as the best thing that could ever happen to the DC forums, No. But, by the same token, nor do I see it as the insidious creeping cancer some people are presenting it as. It just isn't that big of a deal to me, really; although granted that others may see it differently. If it were implemented, i might use, I might not... it would just be there, if that makes sense.

If I were TJ there are other things I'd want to spend my time on first.

Edited by Silverswift

Hmmm I am in two minds on this one, it is an interesting concept if given proper use - though I will say my initial gut reaction is no.

But saying that, if it was implemented I will just never use it much like other sites, it is optional after all if you click it or not or even heed it - just not for me but some might find it valid to highlight someone else's post that articulated their thoughts better than they could express rather than post in the thread themselves.

I would agree that it is only valid for certain parts of the forum.

Where's the like button...

This, I completely agree with. As for the whole people counting likes, that happens in Suggestions / Requests anyway, with counting posts. The only difference is, posting disagreement is encouraged, while posting agreement is discouraged. That means, all such counts are skewed in disagreement's favor (which means that TJ's precious comments are badly skewed too).

Which is stupid, imo.

Both sides should have equal play, and I've never heard of someone getting a warn for posting "I don't like this" with no support. But Heaven forbid someone posts "I like this" with no support!

Cheers!

C4.

This, I completely agree with. As for the whole people counting likes, that happens in Suggestions / Requests anyway, with counting posts. The only difference is, posting disagreement is encouraged, while posting agreement is discouraged. That means, all such counts are skewed in disagreement's favor (which means that TJ's precious comments are badly skewed too).

You do get a warn for saying just "NO NO NO" just as you do for "do want.."

Then make doing so a warnable offense. If they try to pull the "here, look at the screenshot proving how many people like my post!" they get slapped with a warn.

I don't support this. When I was 9, I used a math program that included a forum which used a like function. It gave you points called 'rep' that were displayed underneath your picture. I posted once and it got liked enough that I got the highest amount. The next day, a 13 year old girl who went by the name of Katharine started posting about how she was going to find me and kill me. I started having nightmares that invaded my mind all the time. I started thinking that if I jumped out of my window, I could end it all.

As much as it would be nice to reward people for good posts, it has side effects.

I'd like this option. I have used a system like it (and implemented it's use) on other fourms and it worked wonderfully. +1 Support from me!

I think people need to stop comparing it to facebook. THIS ISN'T FACEBOOK. No one posts a spammy message in order to get likes. The Like system on forums work more like the poll system. There's no ego-boosting. It's just like posting "I like your post", but as several people pointed out, this forum does not allow that. Ironically, it allows negative non-contribution posts, but the positive ones are generally warn-worthy.

I'm failing to see any Ego-Boosting potential outside of "People like my idea", which someone could get regardless. The "My idea has more people liking it" ideal already HAPPENS. Even when people don't have EVERYONE agreeing with them, they like to say that everyone agrees just to make a point. And, let's face it, the suggestion and requests forum is a very, VERY negative place where a lot of people understandably don't want to go. Having the ability to like an idea without having people jumping down your throat and picking apart everything you said/suggested would be extremely helpful.

I kinda have to go with this post on this idea. You need to stop comparing a forum to facebook. If it would in any way be similar it would be purely and simply because they would both have a like funtion (if implemented) that's it.

I have seen plenty forums use this function both in nly specific areas, and all over the darn place and really it has done no harm to anyone other than let them know that their opinion, idea, contribution to a discussion, or overall post has been well received by the community. Most places though offer a +1/-1 option to not only have people agree without commenting, but also disagree without commenting. Also, the only real abuse would be from the occasional troll -1 or +1 ing everything, and I mean everythig. Allowing people to +1 things at the very least gives you a chance to see what people are really jumping on and it makes you want to read those posts because if so many people like it there must be something good about it. If its terrible and we have a -1 then -1 it so it looses its traction.

Allowing people to -1 things also helps counteract that whole "Well friends of popular people would just like their stuff instantly" because people who actually read the post and disagree would -1 it. and really if people dislike your posts due to grammar, structure of ideas, or just overall opinion, 99.9% of this community take the time to let you know in a response and a quote. Some might not be very kind about it, but some are.

I agree with Marionetta that there have been quite a few instances where I want to post my agreement but all if not most well placed arguments in favor or against said suggestion are already there. So what am I supposed to jump on there and sound like one of those awkward friends, "Yeah I like this too, because of what person 2, person 12, person 13, person 19, person 20, and person 31 said. They pretty much said it all so... yeah... support... I'll be lurking now." That... seems pointless.

Being able to show support without making your self seem ridiculous or making your self sound like a parrot, repeating everyone elses better said opinions, would be very nice. If someone wants to try and get a big head about it then really their the ones that are gonna look. Allowing something like this in the suggestions thread mainly would be nice.

[EDIT]

Also most forums that implement the +1/-1 button also have it so the person that +1/-1'd you is recorded so if I +1'd marionettas post, it would show under a list when either or is clicked. this allows mods to keep track of trolls that like to -1 anything and everything, or only -1 specific people, to ensure peoples opinions are not hurt by them. So if you see a pattern in which all your posts in the suggestions are being -1'd then you can report the abuser.

Edited by AnanoKimi

I don't support this. When I was 9, I used a math program that included a forum which used a like function. It gave you points called 'rep' that were displayed underneath your picture. I posted once and it got liked enough that I got the highest amount. The next day, a 13 year old girl who went by the name of Katharine started posting about how she was going to find me and kill me. I started having nightmares that invaded my mind all the time. I started thinking that if I jumped out of my window, I could end it all.

As much as it would be nice to reward people for good posts, it has side effects.

This right here might well be a good argument for making the system, assuming it were implemented , entirely private.

( Here meaning- Visible only to you, and perhaps to mods and TJ.

Some people are idiots and do stupid, cruel and hurtful things for petty reasons. ALTHOUGH I would certainly hope MOST of the users on here are more mature of people and secure in themselves than to go threatening people over something so trivial. I would think if it were a private thing, it would negate any possibility of 'like jealousy'.

Besides, I think the mods on here wouldn't TOLERATE anything remotely threatening.

Edited by Silverswift

This right here might well be a good argument for making the system, assuming it were implemented , entirely private.

Some people are idiots and do stupid, cruel and hurtful things for petty reasons. ALTHOUGH I would certainly hope MOST of the users on here are more mature of people and secure in themselves than to go threatening people over something so trivial. I would think if it were a private thing, it would negate any possibility of 'like jealousy'.

Besides, I think the mods on here wouldn't TOLERATE anything remotely threatening.

Or have a TURN OFF option, at least.

Where you can decide if you want to see "likes" everywhere or where you can decide if other peole can "rate" your posts.

Edited by Mondat

I'm sorry but if something like this happened wouldn't the first course of action be, oh I don't know... tell someone???

I mean really if someone not liking you because your opinion was better liked than them then threatened you really affected you why on earth not say something? Most parents now a days are more than happy to fight. So telling a parent or possibly a mod could help. Those people are just crazy, stupid, or simply are just mean awful trolls and they need to be dealt with.

Hiding away and fearing the place for months is not a healthy route. Screen shot it, if you don't know how, ask. If you don't understand how, ask a parent, a friend, a sibling, someone and ensure that the person threatening you gets reported.

Edited by AnanoKimi

I'm sorry but if something like this happened wouldn't the first course of action be, oh I don't know... tell someone???

I mean really if someone not liking you because your opinion was better liked than them then threatened you really affected you why on earth not say something? Most parents now a days are more than happy to fight. So telling a parent or possibly a mod could help. Those people are just crazy, stupid, or simply are just mean awful trolls and they need to be dealt with.

Hiding away and fearing the place for months is not a healthy route. Screen shot it, if you don't know how, ask. If you don't understand how, ask a parent, a friend, a sibling, someone and ensure that the person threatening you gets reported.

9 years old. Give them a break. I am pretty sure I wasn't thinking that far ahead when I was 9. I was still playing with dolls I think.

Where you can decide if you want to see "likes" everywhere or where you can decide if other peole can "rate" your posts.

If it's purely a "I don't want to see them thing" that, sadly won't help if you turn it off but some other petty jerk leaves it on just so they can complain...

Turning off the option to even allow it on your posts might not be a bad thing, though.