snugglelester

would you die for someone who doesn't love you?

would you die for someone you love who doesn't love you back?

edit: for example, the person who you love is dying. the feeling isn't mutual. you can save them, but you'll die. so, either:

a. the person you love dies.

b. the person you love is saved, but you die.

it's kinda a bad example, but i don't know how else to word it.

Edited by snugglelester

Insufficient information - no context given.

To give a generic answer: I may get killed defending the life of (or generally saving) just anyone who I don't consider an absolutely abominable human being, since I am the kind of person will typically step up to try save whomever is in immediate danger unless I consider them a monster to begin with. Naturally, I will do my best to stay alive myself, too.

Intentionally? No. No way. Nobody who doesn't love you isn't worth dying for.

But like Shienvien said, the context of it is a bit insufficient. There would be some situations where I'd be willing to risk my life for someone, but not a situation where I know for absolute certain I would die. So there would need to be some more context of what the circumstances are.

I'd really need more context to give any more answers.

I'd like to think that, if it was for the greater good and I knew it could help many more than my death would hurt, that I'd be willing to risk or give my life.

But more realistically... Nope, probably not. I dunno if I could even do that for somebody who DID love me. I can think of one, maaaaaaabye two people who I'd be willing to truly risk my life for.

I really do admire those who are willing to risk their lives for others, though. That's not something I'm strong enough to do.

I wish I could say yes, but no.

I personally don't think that you can really love someone who doesn't love you back, unrequited love screams infatuation, IMO. And in a platonic, parent love sort of way, well... I would still say no, because a parent that does to love you back shouldn't be worth your own life.

ah but my parents are dead, so it would be my child. Would you say your child doesn't deserve your love and protection?

The thread starter needs to think and add more info to define the parameters of this alleged situation.

Soldiers fight and give up their lives daily for those who don't all love him/her. It's part of their job and duty. Police and firemen, ditto. Teachers, bus drivers and others may be called upon to make the supreme sacrifice as do life guards. Would I valiantly throw myself in front of a weapon aimed at a person who spurned my love? I'm not sure. What would the consequences be if I didn't? Does anyone else die? Can I live with my selfish self? Who relies on me to protect them at the moment? Does the other person have people that need him/her alive and functioning?

See the problem?

As it isthe question is too broad?

Yeah, I probably would. That said, I'd put my neck on the line for pretty much anyone I thought was in trouble, friend or not. I get ridiculously defensive if someone attacks me or my friends, have a very firm sense of right and wrong, and can't seem to be able to shut my big mouth. I think the only times in my life I've got in proper fights is when I was stepping in on someone else's behalf.

Plus I can't bare to see anyone else suffer. I've done the whole "save mosquito from drowning thing" too many times to count.

...I wouldn't survive a day in the wild xd.png.

Sounds like the movie tagline for an upcoming mystery/romance flick.

Nope: even if the person did love me back I wouldn't be able to do it. There's maybe a couple of people that I would like to imagine I'd die for but I couldn't go through with it. Getting killed on accident by defending them, possibly (though then that's not so much my choice). But knowing that I was going to die, nope. I'd feel awful living with the guilt, but I know that I'm a coward at heart anyway.

Although I'd like to, it would be irresponsible of me to do that when I have animals and a husband that depend on me. My life isn't just mine anymore.

Edited by Syaoransbear

Probably not in the example given, and if I knew that I would certainly die, it would be hard to answer yes regardless of the situation.

I would, however, put myself in harm's way in an attempt to save someone's life - for example I may try to save someone from a burning building or vehicle, even if it was a complete stranger. In this case, though, I would weigh the situation and do so if I felt that I stood a good chance of surviving without serious injury. If it was a loved one I would probably risk a more severe injury and maybe even tempt death, but in these scenarios I wouldn't know if death would result.

Edited by casprrr

Okay, I'm going to put myself in the shoes of a normal teenage girl here, since I decided recently that my heart does not function and I am more than likely incapable of love. (stinks, eh?)

In a dramatic sense, maybe. If you love this person soo much it absorbs your entirety and you have realized they don't love you back, and you were like a nut from a Shakespeare production, then maybe you were already feeling like your life is worth nothing and wouldn't mind dying (because of their lack of feeling). So especially if you could put your life on the line for them, you wouldn't mind.

But if you weren't a nut from a Shakespeare production and were just a normal person, then probably not. The end.

Here at DragCave, Tommy don't mind getting deep about pointless stuff cool.gif

Not using the example in the OP, I would say that it all depends on the situation. I could certainly see myself saving a complete stranger at the cost of my own life, but the choice to do so would have to be a split-second decision and one where I would not fully know if I would surely die as a result.

For example, if there was a situation that gave me the option of donating organs to save a stranger's life but would kill me in the process, I would not consider saving them.

If there was a situation where a lunatic popped up in a store with a gun looking to kill people, I might quickly shield a person from the gunman even if I knew that I would possibly be killed. In this situation, it also depends on the person who I would try saving. I'd be more inclined to sacrifice myself for a child instead of for an adult, since the child would likely be more defenseless.

Edited by Bacon_Strips

Short answer: No. I'd try to save them, but I'd never sacrifice myself to them.

Long answer: I hold my love of life, freedom and happiness over my love for people. ...in fact, I hold a lot of things over my love for people... actually I have no love for people I don't know. There's 7+ billion of em and we're already wrecking ourselves because we just can't keep our junk in our pants. But that's beside the point.

I would not sacrifice my own life for someone, even if the feelings were mutual. I don't live in some steamy drama novel and I am well aware of that, if I sacrificed myself for someone, I won't 'somehow' magically respawn and appear dramatically back into their lives and live happily ever after as a hero. I'll be dead. Gone. History.

So in a sense, sacrificing my life for someone I love is the equivalent of sacrificing the ability to enjoy everything that I love, to save this one person that I love's existence. In no way can I force myself to consciously accept that deal as being anything other then stupid.

To sum it up, I would put in an effort up to the point where my own life is in danger to save someone I love, but I wouldn't cross that border. I would mourn their death, if they are killed due to my inaction, but inevitably, I will move on. The world keeps turning without them, and it will keep turning without me, once my time comes too.

Edited by Psyduсk

would you die for someone you love who doesn't love you back?

edit: for example, the person who you love is dying. the feeling isn't mutual. you can save them, but you'll die. so, either:

a. the person you love dies.

b. the person you love is saved, but you die.

it's kinda a bad example, but i don't know how else to word it.

Context would help a lot here - but - very possibly.

If I genuinely loved them, I'd want them to live, whether or not they loved me. What do THEIR feelings for me have to do with anything ? I'd have to decide based on how I felt, not on how they felt.

(and hell, I'm almost 70; I've had a fair innings xd.png)

I wouldn't mind, got nothing much to live for anyways, might as well might make something of it

No.

I'd not die for anyone except for my own children - and I say this without feeling bad.

Like all the above posters, context is needed for a more accurate answer.

If it is for the greater good, like the person in danger is about to cure cancer or something, then yeah, probably.

If it is a split second decision, like a little kid in front of an oncoming car, again I'd probably try to knock them out of the way.

But if it is something silly, like said-not-loving-me-person asking me to jump in and distract the crocodiles so they can escape, then I'd just say 'no'.

Like all the above posters, context is needed for a more accurate answer.

If it is for the greater good, like the person in danger is about to cure cancer or something, then yeah, probably.

If it is a split second decision, like a little kid in front of an oncoming car, again I'd probably try to knock them out of the way.

But if it is something silly, like said-not-loving-me-person asking me to jump in and distract the crocodiles so they can escape, then I'd just say 'no'.

Yeah, pretty much this. ^

I would jump in front of a car to save a random little kid too, but it would have to be a split second decision. If I had to consider it first, I know I would chicken out.

Hmmm. Would I die to save the life of someone who didn't love me?

First of all, I don't love anyone who doesn't care about me. Not LOVE, in a sense other than a general love for humanity, or other life forms. I don't wish other people any harm, but I don't love them the way I love my family. I believe I would die to save the life of someone in my family, but I wouldn't deliberately sacrifice myself for anyone else -- except that, I think if I were in a situation where I could protect a child by putting myself in danger I would. I believe most adults would.

Uh....no.. I wouldn't die for someone that doesn't love me. I would prefer more information on this though.

I wouldn't die for someone that I don't have any actual attachment to..thats just dumb ._. . There's only one person I'd die for but thats because the love works both ways. Whats the point in dying for someone that doesn't love you or like you?

Probably. I'm stupid like that.

Because of my personality, it's hard for me to love someone who didn't love me first. So, though I want to think I would, I probably wouldn't because the situation wouldn't arise.

For me it is a no brainer about that, could be that cause i don`t come from US, or that i value a life as the most important thing in the world. I would give up my life to save another one, not cause i don`t cherish my life well enough, but cause i believe that saving another human being is the only way we can evolve to the next stage in our human evolution and grow out of the senseless arguing and killing stage we are now stuck still.

And the question was not if you would do it based on the fact on how they felt for you, but based on fact how you feel about them. And The ones that said they would only do it for their kids or parents, what if you knew your kid or parent hates you from the bottom of their soul, would you still give your life to save them, and why do you think that a life from someone who has your blood is more important than a life from someone who does not have your blood?