Layn

Adult dragons can "guard" eggs and hatchies

An edited sort of version of this: there would have to be a certain amount of views allowed above the "kill threshold" so that your dragon can still die if you mess up. I like the passive idea if and only if it's still possible for you to mess up and kill your dragon yourself with too many views. TJ probably has the statistics for what the average rate of views is, and can probably get the general ballpark for user-mistake kills... and then set a number a certain level above that (since deliberate kill is almost certainly way above that), not telling us what it is, to be protected from. But once the protection is implemented, it should freeze the egg/hatchling temporarily and alert TJ or the mods so that it can be investigated, and perhaps views from the high-traffic site where it was posted can then be blocked, the timer started again, and the egg owner is free to go about their business. This is a more targeted method that still prevents malicious killings, but doesn't favor anyone. It might make more work for TJ and the mods, though.

So I guess I see this more as a warning system than anything else. Especially if it can somehow be determined who keeps making these retaliatory killings so they can somehow be banned. It still accomplishes the same objectives, though, and all these creative descriptions can be used to signify "this egg is under investigation".

We've already discussed how the current methods wouldn't prevent your dragon from being killed totally unless you have a ton of dragon-guarding power (ie Lots of adult dragons). Anything else would just extend the time that it would take to kill the egg. Any "freezing" or "resets" are just as likely to come about as the result of incompetence as from maliciousness, as the same view rate can result from either.

The part I do like about this is alerting *someone*, even if only the egg owner, when the guard blocker kicks in under either system. That way the scroll owner has a definite "hey there's something up with your egg!" moment, with a chance to go fog and find out what the problem is.

That would be a good idea, but one that should be implemented along with the scroll-to-scroll messaging\

this has probably already been brought up, but;

"Once an egg has been touched by a human, the human's scent rubs off onto the egg. The mother dragon then will reject the egg and no longer be able to tell that it is her own. That's why these abandoned eggs and hatchlings are just sitting outside the cave, dying, and the mother dragon isn't doing anything about them."

from the abandoned egg page.

why would one of your adults protect an egg that is A) not theirs or B) theirs, but has been handled by a human?

Edited by Sookan

Maybe because they belong to a human too?

many domesticated animals like dogs will reject pups that aren't their own.

Maybe because they belong to a human too?

many domesticated animals like dogs will reject pups that aren't their own.

These dragons have been domesticated by humans. They will guard their human's eggs and hatchies.

I live on a farm and I hatch chicks every year. My dog will protect the chicks from other animals, even my cats. Any time the cats get near a chick, she barks or growls at them yet she won't let other dogs chase the cats either. What I'm getting at is that it wouldn't be that far fetch, considering a dog would protect chicks and cats, for human-raised dragons to protect the eggs and hatchlings, especially the Guardian dragons. Their description is:

Guardian dragons have a large shield on the end of their tails. Although it appears to be heavy, it is light, yet nearly unbreakable. Guardian dragons use their tail-shields, as well as their wings, to deflect attacks and protect others.  Often, they will guard the eggs and hatchlings of a nest while others are away. They are generally peaceful, and will not retaliate unless necessary. They have no need to forage or hunt, as they are fed by those they protect.

I agree with most everyone else, this is a great idea! I made up a couple of protection saying as well...

Water - Is that egg/hatchling... floating on the water? You try to swim out to it, but it is pulled under the water. You decide not to try and dive after it.

Christmas - As you try to approach the egg/hatchling, a jingling noise rings behind you makes you turn around. Seeing nothing, you turn around again to see a a ton of tall trees with prickly leaves surrounding the young dragon. You decide to leave the egg/hatchling alone.

Wow this is a very good idea

I think that this should actually happen TJ

Edited by Blink737

I love some of the descriptions, but I think the Neglected Dragon is being....neglected

Idea: You reach toward the egg, but a sick-looking dragon approaches, and you decide to leave before it infects you.

I'm surprised TJ hasn't noticed this yet?

This is an awesome idea. I've never had an over-clicked egg, thank goodness, but still. :3

Just a question: Are the descriptions based on the types of dragons on your scroll, or the egg itself? Some of them only make sense if it's from the types of dragons you have, while others only make sense for one egg species.

Edited by Kyatenaru

based on the dragons in your scroll.

I think this is a wonderful idea and it is after all like leoak quoted with the guardian dragons.

yeah... I'm wondering if he's just busy, never seen this, or hates it.

...I actually think he's busy, I haven't seen the guy in any of the threads for a long time...

so......... TJ? you there?

Recap for those who are new/those who want fast updates:

1. This will still allow dragons that are in need of emergency attention to be saved. A "deadly rate of views" for them would naturally be much higher than that for a newly laid egg.

2. This isn't a completely effective method. The effectiveness is based on the number of adult dragons you own.

3. Possibly the user could receive an alert via email or perhaps on their scroll notifying them of the deadly rate.

4. Both a passive, automatic system and a user-activated, assigning one dragon to guard one egg, have been suggested. Both will implement the descriptions kindly and creatively suggested by readers of this thread.

Edited by sabbita

any more input? should we make a description for vampires, too?

any more input? should we make a description for vampires, too?

That would be awesome!

"You attempt to view the egg, but a dragon with large, protruding fangs tries to take a chunk out of your arm! You decide that it's best to leave before it can sink it's teeth into you."

Edited by Aziku

Here's a few of mine.

Neglected: You attempt to approach the egg, but suddenly your vision blurrs and you feel as if you are going to puke out your insides. Better leave it alone!

Vampire: You attempt to approach the egg, but as you edge near it, something snaps out at you! It;'s best to run now!

Autumn: You attempt to approach the egg, but as you edge near it, you're pelted with ginger eggs! Ewwwww!

Winter: You attempt to approach the egg, but when you edge closer to it, you're pinned down by icicles...

Spring: You attemp to view the egg., but it is covered in bright pink blossoms.

Dinos: You attemp to near the egg, but wait-- there's dinos over there! Aren't they extinct? Yeah, they are! So how are they there?! As you tilt your head in confusion, a dino sneaks out from behind you and grabs the egg.

Silver & Gold: You attempt to view the egg, but a bright light blinds you.

Pink & Purple: You attempt to view the egg, but it's surrounded by pretty flowers.

Red: You attempt to view the egg, but your pants catch on fire once you near it.

Edited by Catspwndogs29

Hypothetical Situation to make what I am suggesting clearer: you just spent several weeks hunting for a rare egg (gold, silver, paper, dino, new egg, whatever). You happily hide the egg, or don't hide it because you have never had a rare egg before and want to make sure it gets enough views. Maybe you post it on an incubator, or maybe you don't. Tired from a long day of egg hunting, you go to sleep, content that your egg will be there in the morning.

While you are happily celebrating over your success, someone else is very angry. They clicked the egg, and missed it, so now they're furious. They have the egg's code, because they clicked the link and didn't get it. Angrily, this person makes a link to the egg, and posts it on several EXTREMELY high traffic sites, that get several thousand views an HOUR.

When you wake up in the morning, you go to check your egg. To your distress, you find nothing but a broken shell, with THOUSANDS of views on it. An alternative situation, you notice that your hidden rare is reaching the 3.5 day mark. You unhide it so it can get some views to grow. The moment you unhide it, it gains several thousand views and dies as you sit there, confused.

I hope if whoever did that to you was caught at it their scroll was burned.....

Scott