Layn

Adult dragons can "guard" eggs and hatchies

I love this idea, but I can see one drawback. People would want to click/view them so that they can see all they diffrent protective names. That'll put stress on the server, I think.

I'll repet what I said.

Water: The water around the egg begins to swirl, and a whirlpool forms. You splash back to land to avoid getting sucked in.

I love this idea, but I can see one drawback. People would want to click/view them so that they can see all they diffrent protective names. That'll put stress on the server, I think.

I'll repet what I said.

I don't see how that would happen, unless said person got a thousand of their friends to help.

No, one person says: Click and kill this egg everyone! So they do. Then suddenly, all this adult dragon start protecting and people are like: OMG!!!!111111ONE!! I got a gardiun! I Got a Pink! I got a Vine! I GOT A WINTER!!!! Only Black left! Come on, Not another Magi! Etc...

Perhaps if you bred an egg and was hatching it on yours scroll, maybe only have it's parent dragons come in and defend it?

I dunno, I'm just throwing ideas into the air.

I've never had this happen personally, but it sounds awful that someone could be so mean-spirited as to intentionally kill your dragon egg with soft shell just because you were lucky enough to get a rare. I think a preventative of that happening is a very worthwhile endeavor.

I think the idea of assigning one particular dragon to an egg is a good idea, and the descriptions people are coming up with are truly fantastic. I think it should be an "Actions" option for adult dragons every couple of weeks or something, to make guardian duty sort of... special.

I've never had this happen personally, but it sounds awful that someone could be so mean-spirited as to intentionally kill your dragon egg with soft shell just because you were lucky enough to get a rare.  I think a preventative of that happening is a very worthwhile endeavor.

I think the idea of assigning one particular dragon to an egg is a good idea, and the descriptions people are coming up with are truly fantastic.  I think it should be an "Actions" option for adult dragons every couple of weeks or something, to make guardian duty sort of... special.

I was thinking the same thing. If we could assign adult dragons to eggs, not only would we have an egg "firewall" but it also gives the adults more of a purpose.

Assign: Assign this dragon to protect an egg.

That's the best I an think of for now. TJ, I hope you're reading this thread.

Edited by Twilight_Rose

Yeah but its got to have some sort of restriction, like it can only protect for a few days and will have to wait a week before able to renew...

And perhaps it can't breed while protecting...

summary of the two theories suggested here, the option of which would be implemented is up to TJ.

passive guarding:

once a person gets x adult dragons, the chance of a fatal view rate being decreased increases by a very low percentage for each additional adult dragon. Heh, perhaps this might be just for commons, giving people more incentive to keep them.

active guarding:

all adults have a "Protect" or "Guard" action, blocking fatal view rates for x days, after which the adult is unable to protect again for y days/weeks.

In both ideas, a "fatal rate" would naturally increase as a hatchling or egg gets older. Let's say a brand new egg will die if it gets... oh.... 400 views per second. A day later, the "fatal rate" is higher, because it's older. Now, it would take 500 views per second to kill it. And so on. This guarding wouldn't affect emergency cases because the rate that would kill a true emergency.....

Edited by sabbita

I just had my first egg die, a black egg, that was close to hatching where it had a huge amount of views/unique views and that its clutchmate had also died from inflated views.

I wish that there truly was a way to guard eggs, because I'm really sad about this being my very first egg on my scroll to die.

I think that this should be implemented, I mean, having someone intentionally putting your egg onto a high-traffic site, well, its just mean-spirited. Especially around Christmas.

But, I think that eggs/hatclings with like, 2 days left shouldn't have this option, they might need those views! Course, once they matured and if they're still on the site, then they should be guarded.

Edited by mewhaku

I think preventing breeding while protecting would discourage people from using a variety of dragons (like rares) for guarding, and then we wouldn't get to see all those wonderful descriptions for each type used.

I haven't read through this entire thread, and I have a question, sorry if it's been asked before:

I know for the passive idea, that it's been suggested that the more dragons you have, the more protection you get. Is there some kind of cap to how much protection you can have? Otherwise, people would be likely to just raise as many adults as they can (yes, I know the protection percentage raises a minuscule amount, but, logically, someone who was devoted enough would eventually hit 100% protection without a cap) and post their eggs and hatchlings on high traffic sites knowing there's no way said eggs and hatchlings could possibly die due to the protection their army of adults would provide.

Probably there would be a cap, but that would be up to TJ. Though if there was no cap, whoever managed to hit it should be given the scroll badge (suggested by me in another thread) "has no life".....

Or, another idea would be only the person on dragcave with the most adults would be able to gain full protection, and the percentages scale based on how many adults the current high number of adults is.

Well, why not have it like the forum levels? 10 dragons means some protection, 30 means more protection, 100 means full?

because at this point, so many people have 100 dragons that full protection at 100 dragons would be ridiculously easy... not something to be desired. If it's too easy, TJ won't like it. TJ has given this thread NO input, so until he chooses to do so, it must be assumed that he doesn't want it too easy.

Edited by sabbita

I think preventing breeding while protecting would discourage people from using a variety of dragons (like rares) for guarding, and then we wouldn't get to see all those wonderful descriptions for each type used.

Exactly! See, people will want to see all the descriptions, causing even more lag as the server has to keep getting request's to view this dragon, and having to block them. All the diffrent decriptions will make people click on it! Like I said a page ago...

No, one person says: Click and kill this egg everyone! So they do. Then suddenly, all this adult dragon start protecting and people are like: OMG!!!!111111ONE!! I got a gardiun! I Got a Pink! I got a Vine! I GOT A WINTER!!!! Only Black left! Come on, Not another Magi! Etc...
Edited by Erason

Huh? oh... I was thinking the guard description on the egg doesn't change for the passive system... so there wouldn't be a mass of clicking the egg to read descriptions. Passive would assign a random adult's description to guard.

sounds amazing but mabey more than 10 as you can easily get 10 in 1 day of joining the cave is you sit in the ap all day picking up low time hathcies and hatchling them mabey more like 25

Wow, this is the exact opposite problem I have. o_o

But I totally agree on this! There should be some way to protect the little ones from being killed from too much attention. o_O

TJ has given this thread NO input, so until he chooses to do so, it must be assumed that he doesn't want it too easy.

Or he doesn't want it at all. He did put in a fog action, and the automatic freeze when the v:uv ratio hits 15:1.

I like this idea.

Unfortunately, I'm probably gonna be pretty paranoid at night if I ever get a rare egg/hatchling. So I'd like to sleep well at night knowing that my babies are safe smile.gif

Instead of having large numbers of adults guarding each egg (which would be difficult for TJ to code), maybe you have to have a certain number of adult dragons to use this option, to 'prove' you know how to raise dragons.

Also, each dragon should only be able to guard for say, two days. That way, you need to switch them out and no dragon gets 'overworked'.

Someone actually hacked my account and tried to kill one winter egg, but it survived. That was yesterday but I didn't had even a pc yesterday so I don't know why that person stopped.