Layn

Adult dragons can "guard" eggs and hatchies

I'm just concerned it will cause people saving eggs IE from the ICU preventing them from saving eggs. Since some user the refresh technique whilst others put them on the high traffic sites.

Wouldn't this idea, compromise it?

if it has one day left, the speed of views that would kill it would be VERY high, even nonexistant, so thus it would get views.

But hang on, this is to stop a rush of views.

We need to rush eggs/hatchlings with views with as low as 0.04 days left.

this is to stop a DEADLY rush of views. what is "deadly" gets higher and higher as the egg/hatchling gets older.

Perhaps this could be implimented within the first two days? That's when eggs and hatchlings are most vulnerable...

If that has been said and shot down, forgive me. I'm...not very with it at the moment.

Perhaps this could be implimented within the first two days? That's when eggs and hatchlings are most vulnerable...

If that has been said and shot down, forgive me. I'm...not very with it at the moment.

my idea was to have it a passive, always implemented action. Because it is possible to kill it at any time unless it's really about to die, if you just get it views at a too rapid speed.

Then unfortunately I'm completely against this.

I have a thread where people come if they need their eggs saving. We save them by putting them on VERY HIGH traffic sites. The suggestion you're making is to protect them against the high amount of views, which is what we need to save them. If this is always implemented it hinders saving the eggs rather than helping them. As I stated, we've had to save eggs with less than 0.2 days and less. We put them on a site where we literally blitz it with views and unique views to save it. This all happens within a very short time frame.

In other circumstances it could be considered a 'deadly' amount of views.

Then unfortunately I'm completely against this.

I have a thread where people come if they need their eggs saving. We save them by putting them on VERY HIGH traffic sites. The suggestion you're making is to protect them against the high amount of views, which is what we need to save them. If this is always implemented it hinders saving the eggs rather than helping them. As I stated, we've had to save eggs with less than 0.2 days and less. We put them on a site where we literally blitz it with views and unique views to save it. This all happens within a very short time frame.

In other circumstances it could be considered a 'deadly' amount of views.

Terriah? what is defined as "deadly" goes up quickly as the egg gets older. that means at less than a day, almost any number of views in any time could be considered "not deadly"

I'm ambivalent towards this idea.

Although it sounds fun and creative, it takes away from the owner's responsibility to care for her eggs. Rather than her watching them and helping them grow, her dragons are doing it for her. I know that my main hassle with raising dragons is soft shell, not getting views, and I think a feature like this will remove a lot of the challenge in the game. Also, people with dragons--even if they only managed to raise one, or have adults only because people helped them--would basically be immune to soft shell and hatchling sickness. It seems a bit unfair to newbies, especially since they're the ones who don't yet know how to deal with it.

On the other hand, it might be useful for reducing the bandwidth load, and it'd reduce the amount of attention necessary for Dragon Cave. I think it's really up to how TJ wants DC to go.

I would be completely against a passive action as well Terriah, no worries there. It's lame. Having it be actively chosen wouldn't have a problem with interfering with rescuing though, for several reasons that have been discussed already.

I don't like the idea that someone's eggs can be saved "by default" just because they have a lot of dragons. It also doesn't add anything more that adults can do, and thus, is a little lame in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by MyrddinDerwydd

the idea behind the passive defense action is IF someone maliciously attacks your eggs, without your knowledge, the passive defense would react.

You would need at least ten adults for this to be implemented. dry.gif

Perhaps system details like this should be edited into the first post? One section for an auto/passive feature and another section for an optional feature (assigning dragons) would probably suffice. People will then have an easier time comparing and deciding which they prefer (if they like the idea at all).

Edited by kimetara

You would need at least ten adults for this to be implemented. dry.gif

Perhaps system details like this should be edited into the first post? One section for an auto/passive feature and another section for an optional feature (assigning dragons) would probably suffice.

It's on the first post. It WAS on the first post. Added little dash marks around it to highlight it.

I really do not like the "assigning dragons" suggestion because it seems so... easy. And if the assignment wears out and you aren't quick enough to change it.....

With the passive defense system, the adults automatically try to protect the eggs. Chance of successful blocking of a deadly view goes up slightly with each adult dragon you have. You don't have to set the adults. This is just an attempt to stop eggs from dying because of malicious viewers, there shouldn't have to be an action to do this, it should be instinctive, adult dragons caring for young ones. Perhaps the chance of defense could change based on adult dragon and egg species, but I'd rather let TJ, if he decides to implement this, decide on the exact percentages, so WE won't know them.

Edited by sabbita

the idea behind the passive defense action is IF someone maliciously attacks your eggs, without your knowledge, the passive defense would react.

I suppose so. It just seems so...blah. All it really is is a behind the scenes difference.

I suppose so. It just seems so...blah. All it really is is a behind the scenes difference.

maybe that is what's required. A behind the scenes difference to help protect the eggs, nothing more. Not everything is "OMGBRIGHTSHINYOOOOOVISIBLE"

If they were really dragons the protectiveness would be automatic, a dragon wouldn't be 'assigned' eggs.

If they were really dragons the protectiveness would be automatic, a dragon wouldn't be 'assigned' eggs.

exactly.

I disliked the wording of the Earth dragon (it was a teeny bit redundant), so once again, I've typed up my own.

Green/Earth: As you approach the egg/hatchling a small tremor begins. The egg/hatching and the other dragons seem unphased by the tremor. coming to the conclusion that you aren't wanted there, you quickly turn and leave.

Or perhaps....

As you attempt to view the egg/hatchling a large boulder lands inches from you. Taking this as a sign that you aren't welcome, you turn and leave before another boulder flies your way.

You're all welcome to shoot my lame descriptions...

Thanks. The sectioning of the OP helps a lot since my eyes like to skip over paragraphs without letting me know.

So basically...you're saying that once you get ten or more dragons, instead of developing soft shell, your eggs are automatically protected from a high rate of views?

If this is so, it might be easier to have auto-fog when soft shell occurs rather than script in different descriptions for each dragon. (Yes, I understand that the dragons are doing the protecting, but it'd probably be less work since fogging already exists.) And I would think that an auto/passive protection would be easier than assigning guardians.

But...I'm still ambivalent because of the same reasons I stated earlier. It still seems as though once you have ten dragons, you can just stick them on high traffic sites and leave them alone because your dragons will be taking care of them. It still reduces the involvement and responsibility of the owner to watch their eggs--except for newbies, who would still have to learn about and be wary of soft shell. And it'll still reduce the use of bandwidth on the server. So yeah. Whichever way TJ wants it to go.

Edited by kimetara

Thanks. The sectioning of the OP helps a lot since my eyes like to skip over paragraphs without letting me know.

So basically...you're saying that once you get ten or more dragons, instead of developing soft shell, your eggs are automatically protected from a high rate of views?

If this is so, it might be easier to have auto-fog when soft shell occurs rather than script in different descriptions for each dragon. (Yes, I understand that the dragons are doing the protecting, but it'd probably be less work since fogging already exists.) And I would think that an auto/passive protection would be easier than assigning guardians.

But...I'm still ambivalent because of the same reasons I stated earlier. It still seems as though once you have ten dragons, you can just stick them on high traffic sites and leave them alone because your dragons will be taking care of them. It still reduces the involvement and responsibility of the owner to watch their eggs--except for newbies, who would still have to learn about and be wary of soft shell. And it'll still reduce the use of bandwidth on the server. So yeah. Whichever way TJ wants it to go.

no, no... guess I should make it even clearer. Once you get at least ten dragons, each additional dragon increases the CHANCE of a killing view or click being avoided/blocked........

no, no... guess I should make it even clearer. Once you get at least ten dragons, each additional dragon increases the CHANCE of a killing view or click being avoided/blocked........

...yeah, I'm confused. Erm. Okay, hypothetical scenario coming up.

Say you have 10 dragons, and the rate of "deadly" views for your egg is 200 per hour. Say with 10 dragons, you have a 10% chance of blocking a killing view or click.

Does this mean that the view/click that's going to actually cause your egg's death will be blocked 10% of the time? Or do you mean that it'll somehow "eat" 10% of the view rate (so the egg will be getting 180 views/hour instead of 200)?

...yeah, I'm confused. Erm. Okay, hypothetical scenario coming up.

Say you have 10 dragons, and the rate of "deadly" views for your egg is 200 per hour. Say with 10 dragons, you have a 10% chance of blocking a killing view or click.

Does this mean that the view/click that's going to actually cause your egg's death will be blocked 10% of the time? Or do you mean that it'll somehow "eat" 10% of the view rate (so the egg will be getting 180 views/hour instead of 200)?

10% of the view rate is driven off by angry dragons. And each additional dragon would give... I don't know, 1% or .5% extra drive off ability. But TJ would get to choose the actualy numbers, because it's not right, the people on the site knowing EXACTLY what makes your eggs completely safe.

Edited by sabbita

That's a really interesting and useful idea but wouldn't it be hard to code ?

I don't have much experience with the language that makes up dragcave, so I don't know, but I don't think it would be hard.... TJ hasn't yet SAID it would be hard.....

10% of the view rate is driven off by angry dragons. And each additional dragon would give... I don't know, 1% or .5% extra drive off ability. But TJ would get to choose the actualy numbers, because it's not right, the people on the site knowing EXACTLY what makes your eggs completely safe.

Right, I was just using numbers because it's easier for me to understand than "some view rate x" or "percentage y". And as mentioned in the first post, the deadly view rate would be different as the egg/hatchling ages.

Hmm... Okay, that sounds cool, but kinda complicated to code. I also don't know if it'd be effective against somebody dedicated to killing an egg off (unless you had 80+ dragons or something), but it'd probably help with everyday soft shell.

Oh, but if that's the case, I like the idea of assigning the adult dragon as an Action more than it being completely passive. I think it'd be more fun that way because it's more interactive with your adults, and if the adult could be assigned until you end the assignment or the sittee reached adulthood, it'd be just as effective as auto as long as you remembered to assign an adult. You'd always have enough adults too since you have to have at least 10, although if adults have different rates of protection you'd want to ration them out over your most valued eggs and whatnot. It might be awkward to breed adults while they were assigned though.

Anyway! It's a cool idea, sounds complicated, could be fun. Thanks for taking the time to fully explain it to me. ^_^