Layn

Adult dragons can "guard" eggs and hatchies

Interesting idea, but I don't think limiting it just to Guardians is a good idea.  Then you'd have to have a scroll full of them if you wanted to protect multiple babies.

What if you had different "guarding" descriptions for each species of dragon?

Something like:

Red:  You attempt to touch the egg/hatchling, but it is protected by a ring of flames.

Gray:  Thunder rumbles loudly as you approach this egg/hatchling.  You decide to leave it alone.

Black:  As you approach the egg/hatchling, you see glowing green eyes and hear deep growling, and quickly back off.

Mint:  Suddenly a Mint dragon grabs the egg and hides it from you!

And so on.

Lyz.

This is a pretty bomb idea. I hate people who spam eggs on Meebo. It just kills them and it's awful D: sorry to all those who've had it happen. It's not a cool thing to do to someone else...

Running with Lyz's idea...

Blue: When you approach the egg/hatchling, you catch a glimpse of something staring at you from beneeth the lake's surface. you decide to not risk it and turn back.

Silver: As you attempt to view the egg/hatchling, a blinding light takes you by surprise and temporarily blinds you.

Guardian: A large shield comes down in front of the egg/hatchling as you attempt to touch it, and a large Guardian is now standing over the egg. Deciding not to test your luck, you quickly leave.

Vine: A large tangle of protective vines surround the egg as you try to touch it.

Eh....not that great, but it was worth a shot, really xd.png

That sounds cool. How about...

Orange magi dragon: You try to view the egg but it seems as if an enchantment is gurading it. You also notice an (Orage/ Magi) dragon growling softly at you.

Paper: When you attempt to touch this egg, it becomes surronded in a huge maze of paper that is impossible to break or tear.

Spilt: When you attempt to touch this egg, one head lunges down and grabs it while another roars fiercly in your direction.

I know they are'nt fab but... tongue.gif I like this idea even though my eggs were saved, rather than almost killed, by a high traffic site.

I want to write a Magi description. but the other two are good.

Interesting idea, but I don't think limiting it just to Guardians is a good idea.  Then you'd have to have a scroll full of them if you wanted to protect multiple babies.

Something like:

Red:  You attempt to touch the egg/hatchling, but it is protected by a ring of flames.

Gray:  Thunder rumbles loudly as you approach this egg/hatchling.  You decide to leave it alone.

Black:  As you approach the egg/hatchling, you see glowing green eyes and hear deep growling, and quickly back off.

And so on.

Lyz.

This is a pretty bomb idea. I hate people who spam eggs on Meebo. It just kills them and it's awful D: sorry to all those who've had it happen. It's not a cool thing to do to someone else...

Blue: When you approach the egg/hatchling, you catch a glimpse of something staring at you from beneeth the lake's surface. you decide to not risk it and turn back.

Silver: As you attempt to view the egg/hatchling, a blinding light takes you by surprise and temporarily blinds you.

Guardian: A large shield comes down in front of the egg/hatchling as you attempt to touch it, and a large Guardian is now standing over the egg. Deciding not to test your luck, you quickly leave.

Vine: A large tangle of protective vines surround the egg as you try to touch it.

Yeah, I like these, and the idea of the diff descriptions. smile.gif I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but it would make sense to add a "guard" function in the actions menu, so that you still have to actively choose an adult to guard your egg, rather than it just being an autofunction of the site. Kind of similar to the breed function, where it appears on a dragon, and pulls up a list of eggs/hatchlings that they can guard.

Also, perhaps they only guard for a day/few days at a time, and then can't guard for a while? Also similar to breeding, but not as long of a time frame? Like they can only guard an egg an egg/hatchling one day in three, because they have to be doing other things than guarding for that time.

I think it'd also make sense for certain types to only be able to guard similar species. ie: a water dragon can't guard red, and vice versa, and skywing can't guard vine... For reasons of habit and compatibility.

What do people think?

Something like:

And so on.

Lyz.

Yeah, I like these, and the idea of the diff descriptions. smile.gif I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but it would make sense to add a "guard" function in the actions menu, so that you still have to actively choose an adult to guard your egg, rather than it just being an autofunction of the site. Kind of similar to the breed function, where it appears on a dragon, and pulls up a list of eggs/hatchlings that they can guard.

Also, perhaps they only guard for a day/few days at a time, and then can't guard for a while? Also similar to breeding, but not as long of a time frame? Like they can only guard an egg an egg/hatchling one day in three, because they have to be doing other things than guarding for that time.

I think it'd also make sense for certain types to only be able to guard similar species. ie: a water dragon can't guard red, and vice versa, and skywing can't guard vine... For reasons of habit and compatibility.

What do people think?

this doesn't matter with breeding, why with guarding?

What do people think?

I have a feeling that it may matter more than we know, and I'd like to see it matter in the future.

Also, it's more practical to think that two dragons that act differently can come to gether for a moment to mate than for a dragon with no legs to be able to guard a hatchling that's burrowing under the ground...

Heh, I just thought of one for the gold: As you approach the egg you're distracted by a shiny piece of gold that stays just out of your reach.

Edited by MyrddinDerwydd

I don't think the hatchlings burrow, only the adults do. And it makes sense that anything, as a baby, can be guarded than any adult.

Something like:

And so on.

Lyz.

What do people think?

I agree, but if you had more than 1 type of dragon, then I'd say that say a water would only guard a red if there was no other dragon that could do so...

If I course that makes sense to anybody...

my original idea was to be able to set multiple dragons to guard hatchlings and eggs, the more adults on guard, the less likely it is for killing views and clicks to get through. So the idea that some adults won't guard some eggs doesn't make sense.

my original idea was to be able to set multiple dragons to guard hatchlings and eggs, the more adults on guard, the less likely it is for killing views and clicks to get through. So the idea that some adults won't guard some eggs doesn't make sense.

Hmm, I didn't realize that! Lol, now I'm picturing an egg surrounded by the various traps and guarding devices that all the dragons could come up with, like in the middle of a D&D Dungeon biggrin.gif I'm not sure which way I like it better though.

Hmm, I didn't realize that! Lol, now I'm picturing an egg surrounded by the various traps and guarding devices that all the dragons could come up with, like in the middle of a D&D Dungeon biggrin.gif I'm not sure which way I like it better though.

because... it isn't right that just ONE dragon can guard from giant loads of views being dropped on an egg....... that's like one person with no armor standing against a firing squad barehanded. The more adults, the better ability to guard against higher levels of killing views.

xd.png I like this idea

You approach the egg but hear growling, you leave quickly.

But I suppose that's what the fogging method is for is to protect your eggie so idk.

Sounds neat though

fogging doesn't help when someone haws posted it on a high traffic site and you're trying to hatch it. this would be a good solution to that

Actually it does. Or at least to my knowledge it does. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

xd.png I like this idea

You approach the egg but hear growling, you leave quickly.

But I suppose that's what the fogging method is for is to protect your eggie so idk.

Sounds neat though

fogging doesn't help when someone haws posted it on a high traffic site and you're trying to hatch it. this would be a good solution to that

Actually it does. Or at least to my knowledge it does. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

if you're trying to hatch it, it can't be fogged. and if the views are STILL coming too fast for it to live, even though it needs to hatch....

it's actually an amazing idea! It would be good if you could give a dragon an egg to guard, though. I mean, it could be problematic if your egg has one day left, you're trying to get some views fast enough for it to survive and... can't...

So, there could be an option: guard egg. One adult dragon can protect only one egg (not forever, of course) and you can turn it off anytime. c:

it's actually an amazing idea! It would be good if you could give a dragon an egg to guard, though. I mean, it could be problematic if your egg has one day left, you're trying to get some views fast enough for it to survive and... can't...

So, there could be an option: guard egg. One adult dragon can protect only one egg (not forever, of course) and you can turn it off anytime. c:

did you read the first post? I suggested that this would be automatic, and that a "killing rate" changes based on how old it is..... so thus an egg with one day left can get a faster rate than a newly laid egg.

because... it isn't right that just ONE dragon can guard from giant loads of views being dropped on an egg....... that's like one person with no armor standing against a firing squad barehanded. The more adults, the better ability to guard against higher levels of killing views.

I agree that it makes sense, I just wasn't thinking of it that way. However, multiple dragons guarding the same egg may be prohibitably more difficult to code if TJ decides to implement it.

The way I was talking about it, the advantage of having a lot of dragons that are able to guard is that you can keep it under constant watch. I don't like the idea of being able to set a permanent guard on the egg/eggs, like an auto feature, because it just makes it that much easier for people to hatch them with minimal attention.

Your way (correct me if I'm wrong) sounds like you would automatically have a guard of X total adult dragons on all of your eggs. It's possible, but not what I personally prefer. My way would have you set one dragon to watch one egg manually, for a preset amount of time, after which you have to choose another dragon to guard that egg. Thus, multiple adults = longer times and more eggs that can be safely guarded from uber clicking.

Sorry if this (either method of guarding) sounds like it puts newbs at a disadvantage, because it does. I think it would be a good way to help save more experienced dragon hoarders from the perils of chance, but still make newbs learn how to properly care for their eggs.

did you read the first post? I suggested that this would be automatic, and that a "killing rate" changes based on how old it is..... so thus an egg with one day left can get a faster rate than a newly laid egg.

Yep, I've actually read the whole thred... I never post without knowing what's going on...

I was just thinking that it could be harder to do for TJ than simple "guard" option.

Go ahead and move mine to the front page, Sabby (mind eef I call you that? I think it's a cute little nickname :P)

Skywing: As you approach the egg/hatchling a large shadow lurks overhead. As you turn to look up a sudden breeze whips up, and when you turn to view the egg/hatchling, you discover that it's gone!

Gold: A glittering viel of golden scales surround the egg/hatchling as you try to touch it. A deep growl sounds from behind the viel, and you leave before finding out what was on the other side.

The way I view it is more of a safeguard. The dragon's guarding action only comes into play if the views, etc are rising so quickly that the baby will die.

Hence it's kind of a more advanced fog.

However, it would only work for those who already have some adults, thus indicating that they know how to sucessfully raise a dragon. Hence it would be a safeguard against malicious kills, rather than inexperienced mistakes.

Lyz.

The way I view it is more of a safeguard. The dragon's guarding action only comes into play if the views, etc are rising so quickly that the baby will die.

Hence it's kind of a more advanced fog.

However, it would only work for those who already have some adults, thus indicating that they know how to sucessfully raise a dragon. Hence it would be a safeguard against malicious kills, rather than inexperienced mistakes.

Lyz.

I'm quoting this on page 1

I'm not sure if I like this idea or not, I mean if I get a rare or anything, I fog them if I'm not online. It just ensures that nothing happens to them when I'm else where. The idea also just seems to impractical to me right now, almost too complicated. I mean, we currently have the option to fog eggs and hatchlings and since you didn't do that before posting, I see that as your loss. Not to be mean, but we all have to look out for our own eggs and hatchlings from malicious people, what you do is up to you though.

The fact remains that even if an egg is hidden until it is ready to hatch, and then unhidden, if it's on a high traffic site, it will die rather quickly due to rapid views, too fast. This is an attempt to negate that fact.

Editing first page, hang on guys you're posting too fast for me >_<

Edited by sabbita

... um just don't put it on a high traffic site..?

the point is, some malicious people put eggs on high traffic sites to kill them. If that happened, unhiding the egg to get it views to hatch it will kill it.

I'm leaning toward the view of only one, at most two dragons being able to guard an egg/hatchling at a time, with limited times before switching. It's a good suggestion and sounds fairer since it wouldn't be dependent on how many adults someone has.

In the case of bred eggs, if you have the parents perhaps they'd auto-protect or be able to protect their own children for a longer period of time. But it sounds good, and the coding might be able to be based from the breeding coding. I barely know a thing with coding, but considering how the breeding seems to work with the time delay and only showing eligible mates, couldn't it be altered to show eligible protectors and just edit the time delay? The biggest part that I could see needing to be added would be the part for the protection period. Correct me if I'm wrong, though; my brother's the programmer, not me. ^.^: