TehUltimateMage

Mage's Ultimate Art Thread [OFFLINE]

I can't read the notebook on my mobile device.

What a shame.

@Coryn: Did you manage to see it on your PC after all?

@Esko: People already know who I am through the google docs I make. Besides, I'm a legal adult now. ;p

@Pi: Hahaaaaah I'll give you a heads-up next time. Tbh doodling my own characters is a common thing. I really only tell people if I'm drawing their characters. (also i never showed esko what is he talking about)

@Spatio: Yessss I love watercolors, perhaps more than alcohol markers because you can mix colors. x3 The ones I have are nice and vibrant. I haven't used them in a while and I'm just getting back into them. The reason I don't use them as much is because I like to draw in ink that isn't waterproof and that it makes flimsier pages all wrinkly and not scan well.

Did a quick sketch and watercolor last night. Pen wasn't my usual fountain pen; it was a 0.3 fineliner.

user posted image

The color of the hair kind of bleeds onto the face because I wasn't patient enough to wait for the blue to dry. I kind of want to take a step towards Fauvism when it comes to coloring, but maybe next time.

Below is me playing around with Levels, Brightness/Contrast, and Hue/Saturation.

user posted image

user posted image

Holy god you're so good with watercolors. It actually looks really good with the blue bleeding into the face; it looks like her hair is flowing in front of it.

@Coryn: Did you manage to see it on your PC after all?

Not yet, but Friday is my personal night off, so I'm gonna try and kickstart my online activity again. I'll take a look if I get the chance.

ooh yes fauvism

I love looking at the colors but for the life of me I cant figure out how to do it myself without it coming off as utter nonsense

fyi watercolors + pointilism + big canvas = no

trust me on this

ooh yes fauvism

I love looking at the colors but for the life of me I cant figure out how to do it myself without it coming off as utter nonsense

fyi watercolors + pointilism + big canvas = no

trust me on this

lmao pointilism on large canvas is no

large canvas in general is no

The largest thing I've done was in art class where we had a 4'x4' abstract expressionist assignment, but on which I chose to do semi-realistic watercolor. Never again.

My art skills are more or less garbage, so I gotta ask: How are you so good at this? Just practice?

My art skills are more or less garbage, so I gotta ask: How are you so good at this? Just practice?

Practice. About six years of just drawing (almost) every day, occasionally looking at references (i.e. tracing photos pulled off the internet to see how they work) and doing deep studies (studying anatomy + drawing body parts over and over) from time to time. There's still a lot of stuff I want to study like non-humanoid musculature, and I still need to dust off stuff like folds and human proportions. Good materials also help when drawing traditionally.

Honestly, you kind of get into the groove of knowing what lines to place where after a while. Kind of like sports.

Personally I feel like I'm stagnating a little bit because a lot of my drawings look similar or have similar poses, but I plan on pushing my comfort zone this summer. Maybe I should start posting my daily doodles. Here's today's -- the biggest thing I've drawn in a while. Pen shown for scale; it's a 0.5 felt tip fineliner. I sort of followed the inking tutorial I linked a bit back, as well as checked out a comic book inking guide from the library, so I've been working on making my inkwork pop. While I planned to watercolor it, it looks equally as nice as is. Should I color it digitally or traditionally?

user posted image

click for fullsize

its like all of a sudden everyone is just popping out beautiful animals/dragons what is this witchcraft what journey have you all undertaken

hhhh your watercolours are so beautiful <33 and your dragons are just flawless oh my goodness <33 six years is quite a long time; i admire your dedication oh my goodness i haven't even been drawing for a year and now i'm like merrru gh gh

pls keep updating this thread oh my goodness your works are beautiful <33

its like all of a sudden everyone is just popping out beautiful animals/dragons what is this witchcraft what journey have you all undertaken

Dragons are magic, so... there's that, I guess.

Practice. About six years of just drawing (almost) every day, occasionally looking at references (i.e. tracing photos pulled off the internet to see how they work)  and doing deep studies (studying anatomy + drawing body parts over and over) from time to time. There's still a lot of stuff I want to study like non-humanoid musculature, and I still need to dust off stuff like folds and human proportions. Good materials also help when drawing traditionally.

Honestly, you kind of get into the groove of knowing what lines to place where after a while. Kind of like sports.

Personally I feel like I'm stagnating a little bit because a lot of my drawings look similar or have similar poses, but I plan on pushing my comfort zone this summer. Maybe I should start posting my daily doodles. Here's today's -- the biggest thing I've drawn in a while. Pen shown for scale; it's a 0.5 felt tip fineliner. I sort of followed the inking tutorial I linked  a bit back, as well as checked out a comic book inking guide from the library, so I've been working on making my inkwork pop. While I planned to watercolor it, it looks equally as nice as is. Should I color it digitally or traditionally?

user posted image

click for fullsize

\*0*/ So perdy

I am SO TEMPTED to ask for a Ruby/Sapphire minamalist, but you have enough on your plate, so maybe when you clear up your que?

what pen what is this witchcraft

I need erasers like some people apparently need air

@Spatio: if you look close enough on the fullsize you can see vestigial pencil lines. No. I did not do that with pen alone omg i would die

@Fata: stop making me melt (ノ*゜▽゜*)ノ There were a lot of times I wanted to just quit in the first few years because people laughed at my art back then so I didn't show anybody until the last two years. (fun fact: I had after-school watercolor classes when I was younger and the teacher told my parents I was pretty hopeless because uninterested in painting. I quit for a while, but only really rediscovered it in the past three years in high school at my own pace.)

~~~

My hobby: drawing caricatures of my profs that in the end look nothing like them. Lecture tonight brought to you by the older men with glasses and sometimes beards club.

user posted image

@Spatio: if you look close enough on the fullsize you can see vestigial pencil lines. No. I did not do that with pen alone omg i would die

@Fata: stop making me melt (ノ*゜▽゜*)ノ There were a lot of times I wanted to just quit in the first few years because people laughed at my art back then so I didn't show anybody until the last two years. (fun fact: I had after-school watercolor classes when I was younger and the teacher told my parents I was pretty hopeless because uninterested in painting. I quit for a while, but only really rediscovered it in the past three years in high school at my own pace.)

~~~

My hobby: drawing caricatures of my profs that in the end look nothing like them. Lecture tonight brought to you by the older men with glasses and sometimes beards club.

user posted image

Aahhh so good arting

Ahhhh

Today's drawing. I wanted to watercolor Paprika. There are at least 15 things wrong with this (mostly because her pose is stiff and off-kilter) but it's done and so I can't go back and fix it. ;-; #justtraditionalproblems user posted image

Today's drawing. I wanted to watercolor Paprika. There are at least 15 things wrong with this (mostly because her pose is stiff and off-kilter) but it's done and so I can't go back and fix it. ;-; #justtraditionalproblems user posted image

Still awesome...

Do you have any secrets to arting?

omg Esko pls you don't have to quote the drawing every time xd.png;;;;; *finger breaks from scrolling*

Also I'm a butt and haven't commented here in a while but you're still awesome as always so there's nothin' new there. :3

And lol I don't even see 15 things wrong. Maybe just a few things that could've been tweaked if it weren't traditional but traditional is painfully permanent so I feel your pain haha.

YAS MOAR WATERCOLOR

pfftbbbt see things wrong you drew a person

in pen and watercolor

i really like those professor doodles they remind me of the roald dahl illustrations biggrin.gif

ily all so much you don't know how much this means to me

tbh I could have corrected the issues if I caught them in my pencil sketch and before I inked it. xd.png Just goes to show I still need to train my eye!

speaking of hands I did a little study (I usually don't show these to people). and by study i mean copy drawings from a little book by George B. Bridgman

user posted image

If you ever stumble across Bridgman's books (Book of a Hundred Hands, Bridgman's Life Drawing, Heads Features and Faces), I'd wholly recommend them. Copying other's studies I find is a good way to start understanding how it works and how it's represented.

@Esko: The aforementioned "look at good studies" is one of the ways to improve. Also practice. I draw so much. So, so much. It's hard to find a spot in my room that doesn't have a sheet with a drawing on it. xd.png And not all drawings need to be created equal! Some can have way more effort put into them than others, and there will always be some that are better than others.

Edited by TehUltimateMage

Hm....males sense..

I would try hard if I was not totally lazy tongue.gif

I would try hard if I was not totally lazy tongue.gif

Therein lies the problem. xd.png

Freedoodles: by my definition, they're drawings where you essentially pick up a pen/marker and go 'welp' and scribble with little planning. No tedious pencil work to erase this time (note the construction line across the face). Pun was absolutely not intended, at least, not until I finished freedoodling Haruka from Free!. I just wanted to watercolor him. It's another big drawing, about the size of my hand outstretched.

user posted image

Eeeey Mage show us some Sodalite owo

Sodalite is awesome <3 But we can only dream for our OCs to be canon sad.gif

*is tempted to ask you to draw Obsidian*