TehUltimateMage

Mage's Ultimate Art Thread [OFFLINE]

@Sparta: I can't decide either xd.png So I'll see what might work in avatar form and I'll use that. Blue Gemshard, right? (I figured blue because your other two dragons are blue and blueish)

@Ace: AAAAAAA how do you shade how do you layer / teach me your arting skills dear slater

For reals though the watercolor effect was just me messing around with layering these dang markers. Seems that if you're not fast enough, it dries and the next time you go over it, it gets darker. >_< These are knockoff Copics and their inability to blend often frustrates me. But when it comes to pure patches of one of 12 colors, they're great! XP

@Oddi: omg I'd have to actually make it perfect if you give something in return. For serious though, art trades are my life. Personally I go through phases of thinking either digital or traditional is better, but I've been on a traditional roll lately. Depends on what you request!

@Mouse: They are totally worth it but will cost an arm and a leg and bleed through the pages. What I suggest since you're talking about whiteout, working in pencil then using pen to trace over the lines so you won't need to use it. Keep at it!

Let me list the supplies I have and dig up some examples for the next post. I have the 60 pencil set of Prismacolor scholars, but I've been pretty unskillful with them. xd.png Any tips, Oddi? (Or wait, do you have the Premiers?)

Edited by TehUltimateMage

OvO we should definitely plan an art trade, then!

I have premier and verthin pencils, and I've found that multiple layers help smooth the blending, and eliminate thicker parts that stand out where you don't want them. Also, definitely invest in Prismacolor Blenders, they are fantastic for solidifying patches of color so the paper doesn't show as clearly. It smooths the texture fantastically.

Also, Mouse, definitely do your drawings (lightly) in pencil. Invest in pencils beyond just HB; 1-8H pencils have stronger, lighter lead, while 1-8B pencils have softer, darker lead. I preferred 2H for sketching, HB mechanical pencils for darkening the lines, and then one of these to do the final lines. The pen is precise, and the ink flows smoothly and creates a solid line. They don't require you to push hard on the paper, either, which is great. Ballpoint pens don't really cut it, especially if pencilmarks are left indented into the paper. That's what those pens are great for. They take a bit to dry, though, so don't immediately start to erase the pencil beneath, or else it will smear the ink and you'll have an ugly black blob.

Edited by oddinomaly

I like drawing with pens, though. Just annoyinh when I do actually color...

I do too. It's definitely a challenge, but I think you'll find pencils will help you figure out your anatomy. If you want sometime I can do a livestream and show you some techniques I use. It helps a lot to see how others do things, IMO.

I do too. It's definitely a challenge, but I think you'll find pencils will help you figure out your anatomy. If you want sometime I can do a livestream and show you some techniques I use. It helps a lot to see how others do things, IMO.

Last time I tried to watch a stream on my phone.... *groans*

Why are we discussing me here?

Seems that if you're not fast enough, it dries and the next time you go over it, it gets darker.

Actually, this is EXACTLY the method I use for shading XP I'll lay down the base colors, then let it dry and go back over with the same color to add in shadows > 7 <

Then I go back in with a darker marker for more contrast~

Last time I tried to watch a stream on my phone.... *groans*

Why are we discussing me here?

Because you started talking about you. There

Now, let's all get to begging complimenting Mage for the artie <3

I have half a mind to ask Mage for a Wallpaper of Yang and one of Thor...but they're already so overwhelmed with requests laugh.gif

Ah man you guys get so fancy with your different pencils and pens and markers is that how you make such amazing art

I'm just like aww yiss this pencil has lead in it that means I can draw a thing! xd.png

I'm just like aww yiss this pencil has lead in it that means I can draw a thing! xd.png

xd.png LOL! That just made my day. Haha.

Ah man you guys get so fancy with your different pencils and pens and markers is that how you make such amazing art

I was like that for a loooong time, but then I got picky. laugh.gif

***INCOMING IMAGE DUMP***

@Mouse: We're discussing you because you're great. Also because you brought it up.

I actually do most of my stuff in pen because of how certain the lines are and because I kept losing my eraser, but I've been revisiting the wonders of the pencil. I don't carry different lead types or a sharpener with me, so I usually use a good mechanical pencil. 0.7 is good if you press too hard like I do, but personally I'm starting to prefer 0.5 for accuracy.

@Oddi: Do you use livestream? ohmy.gif I think I've only streamed my digital art once, but that was years ago also hhhh you ruined the surprise i just started a Yang wallpaper to spring on you when you least expected it

@Spatio: Way to make me feel awkward about the picture dump I'm about to make featuring my supplies. xd.png I used to basically sketch with whatever pen I had on hand (pencils need sharpening and I don't do sharpening) through my high school years. This thing I dug up from about two years ago is a perfect example of "you can't erase so just try to scribble away your mistakes":

user posted image

Anyway, here is a massive tour of my art supplies. I'm always afraid that I might come across as showing off, but please bear with me. ;-;

user posted image

This is my desk. It is messy. The sad thing is that half of my supplies are in studio -- my watercolor pencils, my acrylics, and my different-weighted leads. On the right is a shoebox of pens and pencils I've accumulated for over about -- 7 years? It's a mix of crayolas and sharpies and stuff that doesn't have its own box anymore but isn't used enough to be carried on my person.

The round containers are for my copics/spectrum noirs because they don't have their own boxes. In front are the two boxes of Desseres Markers -- the "knockoff copics" -- and behind that are the aforementioned Prismacolor Scholars which I got at walmart for a really nice price.

user posted image

These are the writing implements I always keep in my jacket pockets. In front are some Bic ReActions which I recommend everyone get because they are so good and unlike the pencils you can screw open this thing doesn't fall apart in your bag (seriously, how does that even work?). The white gel pen actually doesn't get much use because I use cream-colored paper orz

The highlighter yellow pen is my pride and joy. It's a Lamy Safari with a medium nib. Lamys are really expensive for my student budget (40$+ CAN) and a little hard to come by because only select dealers have them, though a lot of people in studio have them because their line weight responsitivity is amazing. I used to use Pilot V-5s (disposable fountain pens) through high school, and I can tell you the difference is phenomenal. All of my "sketchy" images with dark lines are made with that thing. Usually I combine it with the water brushes in the back because the ink is not waterproof, which makes sketching in the rain problematic and I nearly died when my sketchbook/notebook fell into a puddle once.

user posted image

This is stuff I carry occasionally on my person. A pair of Pilot Parallel pens (left) which are good for both writing and calligraphy and doing weird color gradients, an eraser (I keep losing them…!), a sharpener, and a pocket watercolor set (12 color Koi set). I've seen some people have homemade watercolor sets in small tins, but I haven't gotten around to making my own. :x

user posted image

A look at the nibs for the Lamy, parallel pens, and a sheaffer caligraphy pen. I think I'm hooked.

user posted image

I also carry these around in my jacket pockets when I have space. Some nice Prismacolor fineliners also got at Walmart. Dad got me some Sakura microns in the past but I think I prefer these (although I only use three out of seven: 0.05, 0.8, and Brush…). The box looks filthy and disgusting (it's a year old) but it does its job alright.

~~~

For actual art, I've gone to town scanning old work. Well, it's not really old work, just work done in the past eight months. Most of it is done with the Lamy fountain pen, and you can tell which ones I've made a preliminary pencil sketch for.

user posted image

Tried out coloring pencils for the first time. Not my favorite medium.

user posted image

Did this a week ago for a RP. Still not my favorite medium.

user posted image

Did I post this? It's some watercolors I did about eight months ago when I didn't have the waterproof fineliners on hand. So it's just pencil under watercolors. Normally I'd go back over the pencil in pen, but I kind of lost interest.

user posted image

Watercolor pencils, on the other hand, are my life. Combined with the water brush pen, some interesting things can happen. I just don't know where I've put that set of pencils D: (which I also got from walmart ye). It's gone MIA.

user posted image

Character references in ink, freedoodled with the fountain pen. Scribble to hide your mistakes.

user posted image

Doodles in class. Regular pen. Another example of "scribble vigourously to hide your mistakes".

user posted image

Pencils. Mechanical pencils.

user posted image

ALCOHOL MARKERRRRRSSSSSS! References for a RP done last year. The skin color is defininely from a Copic; i've actually gotten into the habit of buying skin tones whenever I can because as long as the skin is the right color... XP

***INCOMING IMAGE DUMP***

@Mouse: We're discussing you because you're great. Also because you brought it up.

I actually do most of my stuff in pen because of how certain the lines are and because I kept losing my eraser, but I've been revisiting the wonders of the pencil. I don't carry different lead types or a sharpener with me, so I usually use a good mechanical pencil. 0.7 is good if you press too hard like I do, but personally I'm starting to prefer 0.5 for accuracy.

@Oddi: Do you use livestream? ohmy.gif I think I've only streamed my digital art once, but that was years ago also hhhh you ruined the surprise i just started a Yang wallpaper to spring on you when you least expected it

@Spatio: Way to make me feel awkward about the picture dump I'm about to make featuring my supplies. xd.png I used to basically sketch with whatever pen I had on hand (pencils need sharpening and I don't do sharpening) through my high school years. This thing I dug up from about two years ago is a perfect example of "you can't erase so just try to scribble away your mistakes":

user posted image

Anyway, here is a massive tour of my art supplies. I'm always afraid that I might come across as showing off, but please bear with me. ;-;

user posted image

This is my desk. It is messy. The sad thing is that half of my supplies are in studio -- my watercolor pencils, my acrylics, and my different-weighted leads. On the right is a shoebox of pens and pencils I've accumulated for over about -- 7 years? It's a mix of crayolas and sharpies and stuff that doesn't have its own box anymore but isn't used enough to be carried on my person.

The round containers are for my copics/spectrum noirs because they don't have their own boxes. In front are the two boxes of Desseres Markers -- the "knockoff copics" -- and behind that are the aforementioned Prismacolor Scholars which I got at walmart for a really nice price.

user posted image

These are the writing implements I always keep in my jacket pockets. In front are some Bic ReActions which I recommend everyone get because they are so good and unlike the pencils you can screw open this thing doesn't fall apart in your bag (seriously, how does that even work?). The white gel pen actually doesn't get much use because I use cream-colored paper orz

The highlighter yellow pen is my pride and joy. It's a Lamy Safari with a medium nib. Lamys are really expensive for my student budget (40$+ CAN) and a little hard to come by because only select dealers have them, though a lot of people in studio have them because their line weight responsitivity is amazing. I used to use Pilot V-5s (disposable fountain pens) through high school, and I can tell you the difference is phenomenal. All of my "sketchy" images with dark lines are made with that thing. Usually I combine it with the water brushes in the back because the ink is not waterproof, which makes sketching in the rain problematic and I nearly died when my sketchbook/notebook fell into a puddle once.

user posted image

This is stuff I carry occasionally on my person. A pair of Pilot Parallel pens (left) which are good for both writing and calligraphy and doing weird color gradients, an eraser (I keep losing them…!), a sharpener, and a pocket watercolor set (12 color Koi set). I've seen some people have homemade watercolor sets in small tins, but I haven't gotten around to making my own. :x

user posted image

A look at the nibs for the Lamy, parallel pens, and a sheaffer caligraphy pen. I think I'm hooked.

user posted image

I also carry these around in my jacket pockets when I have space. Some nice Prismacolor fineliners also got at Walmart. Dad got me some Sakura microns in the past but I think I prefer these (although I only use three out of seven: 0.05, 0.8, and Brush…). The box looks filthy and disgusting (it's a year old) but it does its job alright.

~~~

For actual art, I've gone to town scanning old work. Well, it's not really old work, just work done in the past eight months. Most of it is done with the Lamy fountain pen, and you can tell which ones I've made a preliminary pencil sketch for.

user posted image

Tried out coloring pencils for the first time. Not my favorite medium.

user posted image

Did this a week ago for a RP. Still not my favorite medium.

user posted image

Did I post this? It's some watercolors I did about eight months ago when I didn't have the waterproof fineliners on hand. So it's just pencil under watercolors. Normally I'd go back over the pencil in pen, but I kind of lost interest.

user posted image

Watercolor pencils, on the other hand, are my life. Combined with the water brush pen, some interesting things can happen. I just don't know where I've put that set of pencils D: (which I also got from walmart ye). It's gone MIA.

user posted image

Character references in ink, freedoodled with the fountain pen. Scribble to hide your mistakes.

user posted image

Doodles in class. Regular pen. Another example of "scribble vigourously to hide your mistakes".

user posted image

Pencils. Mechanical pencils.

user posted image

ALCOHOL MARKERRRRRSSSSSS! References for a RP done last year. The skin color is defininely from a Copic; i've actually gotten into the habit of buying skin tones whenever I can because as long as the skin is the right color... XP

Ermagersh Flint ;-;

Anyways, ultimate lurves!

HOLY CRAP you have more stuff than I do. I hoard whatever I can find, but you seem to have quite the collection laugh.gif

YOUR WATERCOLORS ARE GORGEOUS PLS MARRY ME

Also if i requested traditional, what are the chances you could mail me the actual sheet of paper?

HOW DO ALL OF YOU ART SO FAST AND BEAUTIFULLY

mmm yes this magic where can i get some of it

ahhhh mage your supplies are like hhh <333 i love the paints!! for some reason messy paint palettes are aesthetically pleasing to me :' ^ )

omg strokes your art <333 (i almost typed rat i'm crying)

i love how your art looks so casual and beautiful like omg <3333 dem lines <3333

ESKO WHAT ARE YOU DOING REMOVE THAT QUOTE I DONT NEED TO SCROLL THROUGH DOUBE IMAGE WALLS ORZ

And Oddi: if it's possible, I will :,) I don't know how mailing really works (and also the fact that I live in Canada) but I'll find a way! Most of my work is in sketchbooks, but we'll figure something out. I'll see if I can find some nice watercolor paper to make it super official!

@Lady: mOST OF IT IS CLASS DOODLES you flatter me so much uwu I just. do so many of them it's everywhere help i'm drawning drowning

Edited by TehUltimateMage

Ahhh awesome ;v; I'm pretty sure if it's sent in a package (not like a box...it's like a bag....thing...ish...) between two thick pieces of cardboard it won't bend in the mail.

I also have no idea how Canadian mail works, as I'm American laugh.gif

strokes u from afar yoUR CLASS DOODLES ARE SO NICE BRUH

[ drowns in the arts ] yes, good, very good, lay me to rest with all these talented pieces,

oooooooooooomg

Oh my god thank you Mage!! I'm still screaming omfg its just gorgeous!!!

I had to brighten up the colors because my laptop's screen is super bad at bright colors unless they're frickin NEON. I hope you dont mind <3

I don't mind. xd.png My Mac usually renders things real bright so I'm used to using low-saturation palettes for wallpapers. I'm also more used to pastel-y colors (in my digital drawings my blacks are always a tinted grey). Anyway, it looks better than I thought as a background! I didn't test it on mine oops

also omfg you have goat simulator goat sim best game

@Mouse: Draw what? I'm curious. tongue.gif

It does!! I love it so much I made it the background on my blog too <3 I can pay you for another one for my tablet, right? Because damn your wallpapers are stunning.

@Sparta: I can't decide either xd.png So I'll see what might work in avatar form and I'll use that. Blue Gemshard, right? (I figured blue because your other two dragons are blue and blueish)

You got me for the color lol xd.png I actually didn't even notice it until you mentioned it, but yes, the blue Gemshard is my favourite lololol xd.png. I really like the red one as well though. The blue one wins just by a bit tongue.gif

And OH MY GOD are your artz amazing! And all the stuff you have, you are so lucky! I can barely find a 4B pencil over here, let alone those awsome markers and so. And the closest Walmart is about half a planet away from me hahaha. That's why I usually just use a mechanical pencil for drawing, and even though I want to learn digital drawing, I can't afford myself a tablet :/ So be happy for what you have, knowing that there's a girl half a planet away from you that would die for those things biggrin.gif

Thank you so much again!

Almost done school…! Then I can plow my way through all these requests once summer his here. xd.png

Was inspired by Spatio this time. What they can do in 20 mins, I can do in two hours!

user posted image