TehUltimateMage

Mage's Ultimate Art Thread [OFFLINE]

@WaterScorpion eyyy you should join and upload some characters so I can draw them

Also, thanks again choppedmint!

~~~

j1Lserel.png

how to hide the fact that you can't draw animals: put a ton of lightning and clouds in front of it

The creature is beautiful!

To be honest, I can't draw human well. So I'll put a ton of lightling and clould!

21 hours ago, TehUltimateMage said:

@WaterScorpion eyyy you should join and upload some characters so I can draw them

Also, thanks again choppedmint!

~~~

j1Lserel.png

how to hide the fact that you can't draw animals: put a ton of lightning and clouds in front of it

pfff, haha, well, part of my reasoning was I didn't have enough time/stressed with life uwu
but one of the instigators of my stress is [mostly] gone so maybe I'll get into drawing again; haven't really done anything since January uwu

Poking in very briefly to drop in some sketchbook scans. I still have three more (Winter 2017, Spring 2017, Summer 2017) to scan in orz so you'll see those soon!

Fall 2016 (New!): https://issuu.com/kelleygu/docs/camo_green_sketchbook.compressed

Summer 2015: https://issuu.com/kelleygu/docs/apple_green_higher_res

Spring 2015: https://issuu.com/kelleygu/docs/100_notebook_project_-_smaller

Hey guess who just discovered that Tales of Symphonia got a Steam port? Me. I did. So I did a symphonia Draw the Squad doodle while scheming ways to put aside enough time and money to relive my childhood nostalgia 👌

MxvTZtU.png

wow mage im skimming through your 2015 spring sketchbook and you were so good even back then?? sorry if you've already answered this but how old were you when you started drawing? :o

@Lilraaos Thanks! :,) I don't think I've answered that in this thread but I only really started taking drawing seriously in grade 10, so about age 15 (2012)? I mean I drew bad animes and stuff in grade 8 so I guess if I'm generous I could say I started at 13. The only formal instruction I've had was art class in high school and the rest is just scouring the library and youtube for tips (bless Istebrak everyone should look at her channel) and drawing from life.

I only started keeping a regular sketchbook starting in university (2014-2015) and I think it helped a lot! I can't believe I've been drawing for so long and that this thread is 3 years old.

Edited by TehUltimateMage

*chuckles* Okay, I have no idea what that latest picture is from, but it looks really funny.

It's from a game called Tales of Symphonia, it's a JRPG from like...2003? I've played through it quite a bit. That picture is pretty accurate as far as each character goes, lol.

tales of symphonia is on pc and is only five dollars ???? :OOO

omg mage you starting art at fifteen gives me hope. you've been able to improve so much in five years and i thought you were drawing straight out of the womb 

ah yes, i popped right out of my mother holding a pencil, and smeared my first poop into the shape of the mona lisa ;p

I don't think anyone is really born talented at drawing? I think it's like reading or speaking where anybody can learn to do it really well, except school typically trains reading and writing, not drawing, so you have to pick that up somewhat by yourself! (Also for anyone reading this and is serious about learning to draw please go to your local library/bookstore and check out Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards)

Also Art Fight is done but I'll be slowly uploading things from that as I go along. If you want a sneak peak of that (and don't have an artfight account), check out my instagram linked in my signature! I've been adding to that. It feels really nice to not feel obligated to ink and color everything, though! (you get a lot of extra points for inking/coloring art fight attacks vs. a monochrome sketch)

On the topic of drawing for a really long time, I've dug out one of my favorite drawings from grade 9 (2011?) and re-sketched it (again). Might paint it at some point, but not any time soon (?)

VI2x9z7.png

~

tales of symphonia, my love, my life

I saw it go on sale this week and snapped it right up! The timing is like divine intervention haha. I've barely just restarted the game and I've drawn my favorite son I love him so much and I just want to protect him

zLp5x4L.png

oh yeah yeah! sorry i meant drawing since you were a smol child. like a tiny mage with a huge pencil. oh man god bless for all these tips and tutorials that youre suggesting though im so thankful for any direction tbh.

oh man that is some improvement is she a character or something?? also please hit me up with those foreshadowing secrets

that is a 3.14 qt son, what is his name? :o

@Lilraaos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWLaDSNBAI

^ Foreshortening secret. Super fun, give it a try!

( Again for people who want to learn art/learn out better, take a listen to Andrew Price's 7 Habits of Effective Artists, though it's more mindset-oriented than technique-oriented: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM39qhXle4g )

~

She is an earlier version of my personal OC (who's also featured on the first post, through the thread, and pretty much any time I need to test new art supplies) and he is Genis Sage from the aforementioned Tales of Symphonia <3

~~~

iOXs4C4.png

My goal is to share some art every post so, here's some Art Fight portraits...! Also I fixed my sig and now it's well formatted and the links work and has new art :^ )

zkVpti3.png

Getting a late start to Smaugust: 31 days of dragon drawing. This was day 8.

DGFNgP2XUAEyrLz.jpg

Ooo, so cool! I love the dragon and the night. Is that ink, or something else?

Ink, yes! From a brush pen (pentel pocket brush) to be exact, combined with a micron fineliner. Would recommend. The brush has carried me through much of last year's inktober.

~~~

VKAQXHP.png

Tried my hand at painting those semi-realistic anime eyes in a thing that will probably be WIP forever. Big eyes keep throwing off my instinct for proportions? Just gotta keep working at it, I guess. Also if you have any human characters please I want to paint them for practice

Spiritual successor to this from last December.

Almost forgot that you make absolutely amazing minimalist wallpapers when you mentioned it on discord!

I also wanted to ask if I could request for one ?Thought about it for a while, but could you make a zyu wallpaper? I'd love to see the black or red.

I think it would look pretty cool, and I would love to use em for my background on my wishlist page. (y)

Edited by Ghost

That's an amazing picture. *is at once jealous* Once again, I have to ask what you are using. o.o As in the program. I've been using Krita, which seems to work the best for me. But I don't think I can figure out the one that was done in.

I have a dozen and three human character. *collapses under weight of headcannons and OC* If you ever want/need something to draw, just shout. :wacko:

Edited by Choppedmint

@Ghost Noted! I already posted a WIP in Discord, so check that out if you wish.

@Choppedmint please give me your characters, I just want to give everyone good art and love! I do all my art in Photoshop because I'm used to it (and that I paid actual money to buy some plugins), but personally I think Krita, SAI, and Clip Studio do a much better job. No fancy brushes, either, just a basic round brush (for both painting and erasing) with varying softness and opacity.

~~~

TT84M1T.png

Smaugust from yesterday (day 9): Forest dragon, though I went for kind of a stone-dragon with plants growing on it. I don't want to detail anymore, haha. Too much work. [Made with micron fineliners, 0.3 and 0.5]

Hulo, it's me

I can relate to you on the not be able to draw animal thing. I can't draw humans at all, and that's why I don't even bother trying.

Wanna request you but it's gonna be animals.

@RainbowTheAlbinoServal Animals aren't my specialty, but I'm always looking to push my boundaries and learn! My favorite nonhuman art pieces from Art fight were these two but I would definitely welcome more practice when it comes do doing fur:

SiZeKUq4r9wk3uDhIsASScXNf3sYKv2SCc5E0w8o

MgXNhGCWJBhAqXZkoiIaQIFh5YagmPkmeu3jQESU

Oooh kay good thank you!

Wanna get some art of my two servals Era and Shadow.

So, Era is a ginger serval with light, very light blue eyes. She is very very naive, so you could do a bit of a confused expression. 

Shadow is a melanistic serval with amber eyes. She's insane and is a cannibal, so you could draw her with a bit of blood.

Anyways thank you!

Is it bad that the first idea I had for a picture was drawing a picture where Shadow is eating Era haha I need help

Do they have fangs like Rainbow? Or are the two just regular servals of different colors/coats?

~~

Oh! I said that I'd show an art every time I posted, so here's a quick test sketch I did (which I posted on the Discord). 5 mins, parallel pen, mangenta ink. I spend way too much time thinking about what kind of ink to put into my fountain pens. (Click for full view! I love how these forums have a resizing option now)

PISBDEr.png

4 minutes ago, TehUltimateMage said:

Is it bad that the first idea I had for a picture was drawing a picture where Shadow is eating Era haha I need help

Do they have fangs like Rainbow? Or are the two just regular servals of different colors/coats?

XD siblings eats each other oh no

No, they're normal. Era is the odd one out, and Shadow is Rainbow's twin, like you know, black and white twin. But they're siblings.

Why are u so talented 

Edited by RainbowTheAlbinoServal