Dekka

Animals Nobody Has Heard Of

Elephant hawk moth caterpillar:

user posted image

These last two I'm not sure of; the two names that keep popping up are the Hemeroplanes triptolemus moth and the Hemeroplanes ornatus moth, but google brings up many of the same images for both.

user posted image

user posted image

No it isn't. that was a meme on tumblr. Just a rumor. And the guy edited the wikipedia page and then took a screenie. It's pronounced "Dick-dick"

I like these bush snakes. They're so pretty!

user posted image

Also a mollusk called The Blue Dragon.

user posted image

Goblin sharks. They're so creepy!

user posted image

And then you have these sweet little fella's wub.gif

user posted image

Also a mollusk called The Blue Dragon.

user posted image

More properly those are glaucus atlanticus/blue glaucus, and they're fairly well known - DC's got a drake named after them!

Nudibranchs are just fascinating in general if you're not creeped out by brightly coloured blobby slugs. Check out some of these guys! So cool.

Let's not forget the Tasmanian Tigers also known as Thylacine

user posted image

Somebody thought I was making this up a long time ago and I wasn't dry.gif

Hahaha <3 an aussie animal :3 pretty well known in australia, and I'm not surprised it's not commonly known everywhere else.

cool thread, I only know about maybe half the things in here.

Here's a video of a Hairy frogfish in action:

Cantor's Giant Softshelled Turtle

user posted image

Atretochoana eiselti, a species of caecilian that's rather…inappropriate looking

Here is one of the initial sets of photos taken when the first live specimens were discovered several years ago. Take a look, they're hilarious. I don't want to post the actual images here since the photos of this species might initially be mistaken for something NSFW. laugh.gif

Has anyone heard of a civet?

user posted image

I had no idea what these things were until recently. They kind of remind me of Tasmanian Tigers, though.

Helicorpion. Enjoy a creepy whorl-toothed shark

user posted image

Actually, helicorprion looked like this. That one with the crazy spiral jaw is an outdated reconstruction from before they knew what was going on with that whorl.

user posted image

The ring-tailed cat isn't that known in my area, even though it's super cute.

user posted image

asdfjkl; Adorable. I'm guessing it would like it if I pet it, though. xP

~

A while back, I saw something about these cats in Russia (IIRC) that were pretty cool, and now I can't find it. D: Grr. If I do, I'll post and see if others know about them.

Have a SEA PIG

user posted image

It's a deep-sea species of sea cucumber which can actually walk across the ocean floor.

I love those things and their hilarious noodle legs.

Hyrax They are often mistaken for rodents, but are more closely related to elephants.

user posted imageuser posted image

The Hyrax or Dassie as we call them is really common where I live. You can see them basically on any rock near a mountain range.

A Dik Dik is also quite common here in South Africa. A couple of cultures worship the little antelope

OK I have a couple

The Tawny Frogmouth a very photogenic bird.

user posted image Check 'em out these dudes have some serious camouflage!

And the coneshell the most venemous creature on the planet, capable of killing a human in 30minutes without treatment (Don't quote me on that, I just knows its quick)

Lastly the King Penguin! Smaller than an emporer penguin their chicks also look a little different.